• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakabok

What is the Kevin reference?
We-Need-To-Talk-About-Kevin-Poster-1-300x224.jpg

RagnarokX

God dammit. Whoever edited together the trailer for this is a fucking dick. There went the whole "surprise" angle.
The movie opens with what you think is the surprise. It's the movie's premise. The real fault of the trailers is they try to make it look like a standard horror movie with a mystery, but that could not be further from the case. It's more of an intelligent dark comedy that critiques and honors the horror genre.

Hmm, that wasn't the surprise. It just gave you the premise of the movie.

MDavis360 said:
You haven't seen the movie yet have you?

so the whole surprise thing was that this was a ritual?
If so, then I feel kinda let down. Although if it was that it was a fantastic
comedy
then I am impressed. Either way, sorry for momentarily shitting up the thread :I

nomis

That trailer completely misconstrues the premise, though...

The trailer I watched fucking spoiled that
Marty didn't die when he got dragged into the pit, and was going to return later for a scene in a very clean looking elevator with the red-head chick

ivysaur12

Banned
Marty didn't die when he got dragged into the pit, and was going to return later for a scene in a very clean looking elevator with the red-head chick

That was the only thing that was ruined for me, and I was pretty pissed about it.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
It wasn't a horror film, and I wish it hadn't been marketed as such. I enjoyed it (a lot), but I can totally get why people who don't like Whedon would feel disappointed. My wife was expecting a horror film but hates Whedon and feels incredibly disappointed.

So any ideas about the
force field? Even when you accept the overall premise of the movie I'm still not sure how it's justified. Not complaining, just wondering how (presumably) that organization got a hold of such advanced technology.

big ander

So any ideas about the
force field? Even when you accept the overall premise of the movie I'm still not sure how it's justified. Not complaining, just wondering how (presumably) that organization got a hold of such advanced technology.

By being very rich and powerful? Who they're owned by is intentionally left unsaid but to employ people and run that place it would take a lot of money. Which is also used to contain monsters and build force fields.

So any ideas about the

I think if we believe they have the technology to have a huge underground compound containing an ancient god and dozens of mythical beasts we can extend that belief to a forefield

One point that has gone over my head is

Where do the beasts come from, are they made by the company or did they already exist?

For some reason the bit when they broke into the compound almost reminded me of westworld

RagnarokX

So any ideas about the

Just because it looks technological doesn't mean it is. This is a world with elder gods, aliens, ghosts, demonic sugarplum fairies, angry molesting trees, dragon bats, redneck torture family zombies, cenobites, deadites, witches, etc. The force field could be part of the seal on the elder god or they just have the technology. They have a huge underground facility after all. The force field is like the least unbelievable premise about their operation.

So any ideas about the

Well,
the 'new guy' was from the military so it could be inferred that the US government was well aware of this ritual and that the company pulling this off was like a NASA-esque division. Also, since this is a movie with no real timeline ever proclaimed, it could be in the not to distance future where something like that is possible.

Plissken

Saw this today and I loved it. As someone said earlier, the mark of a good movie to me is one that you keep thinking about after you've seen it. I keep going back, trying to find holes, but they did a really good job of having everything make sense, in the world the movie inhabits anyway. Those complaining about the
virgin thing, in the end it didn't matter, remember? They said as long as the others died, the virgin could live or die as Fate determined, that's why they were celebrating even though she was still alive. It didn't matter if she was a virgin anyway, as Sigourney Weaver said "We work with what we've got". The gods/audience just wants their fear and blood and guts.

Some favorite moments:

The Japanese girls turning the ghost into a frog, and the controller screaming "FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! AND FUCK YOU!" at the screen.

Coffee bong saves the day!

The bit with the speaker phone, and the redneck slipping from Old Testament "fire and blood" speak to "Guys, am I on speaker phone?".

Really looking forward to this on Blu-Ray so I can
see all the different monsters in the cubes.

For those on the fence, or who thought the trailer gave everything away, go see this. It's not what you think it is, and that's a GOOD thing.

Well,
the 'new guy' was from the military so it could be inferred that the US government was well aware of this ritual and that the company pulling this off was like a NASA-esque division. Also, since this is a movie with no real timeline ever proclaimed, it could be in the not to distance future where something like that is possible.
I like this response the best.

Jesus. You people asking questions about the literal plotline don't really "dig deep" for any meaning beyond the surface, do you?

Arnie

SO glad I didn't see a single trailer before watching this. Had zero idea about the premise, thought it was just going to be a horror about some kids in a cabin. Massively enjoyed it.

SO glad I didn't see a single trailer before watching this. Had zero idea about the premise, thought it was just going to be a horror about some kids in a cabin. Massively enjoyed it.

Glad you liked it Arnie

I was the same but I purposely avoided anything about it, if you explain it it would sound terrible but watching it unfold not knowing is an amazing cinema experience

For me it was
After the red phone rings, normally in a horror it would be wrapping up there but the level of insanity from that point is off the charts, like every monster ever gets in on the action then we get Weaver and then a massive God hand to end it all.

I expect a backlash over time when people hear about it before seeing it

Just got back from seeing it.

This feels like a film that could really benefit from some tie-in materials like a comic or book series.

The movie has so much going on, so many unanswered questions. I really wanted to know more about
the corporation, where the monsters come from (are they real or created by the company?)

I felt like they were trying to do so many things at once. some of them work great, others are completely ignored. Honestly I felt like it was watching Lost during the amazing 1-4 seasons.

Will pick up the blu ray.

I would say it's the "Inception" of horror films, though.
When they were showing the video screens of the monsters wreaking havoc on the compound I expected it to zoom out and reveal yet another control team LOL

Arnie

Glad you liked it Arnie

I was the same but I purposely avoided anything about it, if you explain it it would sound terrible but watching it unfold not knowing is an amazing cinema experience

For me it was
After the red phone rings, normally in a horror it would be wrapping up there but the level of insanity from that point is off the charts, like every monster ever gets in on the action then we get Weaver and then a massive God hand to end it all.

I expect a backlash over time when people hear about it before seeing it

Yes up until that point I was still sort of unsure what the hell was really going on.

I laughed out loud at Weaver's cameo appearance, and that her name came up first on the credits, as if she was the most important character.

A couple of my friends didn't really like how steeped in parody it was, either that or they didn't really understand that it was taking the piss a lot of the time. But I always knew it was tongue in cheek. The bong melee weapon had me in stitches.

Was amazing seeing all the creatures break into the compound, and the scientist seeing the mercreature was a great touch.

Loved that it was actually a comedy, disguised as a Horror film. Still a bit unsure as to why the guy had to be on top of the girl's house when they first left though. That could've easily given the game away, as it was in broad daylight, and there was literally no need to be up there. Could've just observed from the car.

so the whole surprise thing was that this was a ritual?
If so, then I feel kinda let down. Although if it was that it was a fantastic
comedy
then I am impressed. Either way, sorry for momentarily shitting up the thread :I

Honestly, there was no twist. The fact that we expect there to be one is one of the things this film is against.

Still a bit unsure as to why the guy had to be on top of the girl's house when they first left though. That could've easily given the game away, as it was in broad daylight, and there was literally no need to be up there. Could've just observed from the car.

I would say that's just a stylistic choice really on the director or cinematographers part. Plus it's a nice shot considering the RV is driving away as well as the jib moving up the building to reveal the guy. And how often do you get to do that outside of a superhero movie where the hero is just being stoic on a building?

Replicant

Hmm, that wasn't the surprise. It just gave you the premise of the movie.
No. The trailer definitely spoils
Who amongst the 5 college kids will survive for the last act.

I haven't seen the film but I could guess that easily thanks to the change of setting shown in the trailer.

ivysaur12

Banned
Box Office Mojo explains the CinemaScore really well:

The audience was 57 percent male and 65 percent over the age of 25, and they gave the movie an awful "C" CinemaScore. That score, along with the modest opening, is indicative of the challenges associated with selling satire (which Cabin in the Woods most definitely qualifies as). The title and stock characters (the jock, his girlfriend, the geek, the stoner, and the virgin) are intentionally generic, and from a cursory glance it would appear that the movie isn't even trying to be original. That probably kept the movie from reaching a larger audience, though the group that did show up was predominantly expecting a straightforward horror movie. By delivering something much different, the movie delighted a small group of audience members while generally frustrating those whose expectations were subverted. Moviegoers like to know what they are in for when they go to see a movie, and when it turns out to be something different the movie tends to get punished in exit polling.

Still, 15mil is nothing to scoff at for a movie like Cabin.

That was terrible. I hated that I knew that. Yeah, the trailers don't spoil the movie's premise or a big twist or anything, but just like most trailers it gave away a huge plot point. Despite the fact that the "twist" isn't actually a twist, I'd still urge people to avoid watching them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Well,

this is also a world in which
hillbilly zombies and giant evil snakes exist, so i imagine their ability to conjure up a forcefield would be pretty damn simple.

That was terrible. I hated that I knew that. Yeah, the trailers don't spoil the movie's premise or a big twist or anything, but just like most trailers it gave away a huge plot point. Despite the fact that the "twist" isn't actually a twist, I'd still urge people to avoid watching them.

i half expected
it to turn into a time loop, i.e., "we keep doing this until we get it right" sort of thing, thus explaining marty's reappearance.
as a wonk for those kind of things, i was almost 25% disappointed when it didn't.

I guess I'm in the minority, in that I wish the film played out a little more like the trailer. I didn't really care for the comedy; I prefer actual scares and foreboding dread in my horror films. Every time the locale switched from the cabin to elsewhere I was taken out of the film somewhat; it felt like two halves that didn't quite fit together.

Just got back from seeing it.

This feels like a film that could really benefit from some tie-in materials like a comic or book series.

The movie has so much going on, so many unanswered questions. I really wanted to know more about
the corporation, where the monsters come from (are they real or created by the company?)

I felt like they were trying to do so many things at once. some of them work great, others are completely ignored. Honestly I felt like it was watching Lost during the amazing 1-4 seasons.

Will pick up the blu ray.

I would say it's the "Inception" of horror films, though.
When they were showing the video screens of the monsters wreaking havoc on the compound I expected it to zoom out and reveal yet another control team LOL
I assume the monsters existed in the world but were just rounded up by the company/government entity and kept in captivity for the ritual

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yes up until that point I was still sort of unsure what the hell was really going on.

I laughed out loud at Weaver's cameo appearance, and that her name came up first on the credits, as if she was the most important character.

All the other feature actors were credited at the start of the film. That's why Weaver got her credit upfront in the end credits. It's not a comment on the character's importance.

Mdeezy

I really loved this flick. The death scenes were great but the best part about the movie was
the shot of the different creatures in the elevators and the "System purge" scene.

So I decided to see the trailer after watching the movie. Holy shit, they gave away the entire movie, didn't they?!

Either that or the fact that I've already seen the movie that I can jot things down. That's not the whole point though. The fact that they show the "twist" in the trailer is fucking stupid. Why would they do that? Couldn't have they kept it simple and horror-ish?

I just got back from the film, and I absolutely adored it. I did have one question, however:
Was there ever an explanation given as to why Marty's pot helped him evade the dulling agents that were pumped into the scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom