• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Sean Spicer went to the Emmys today...

It would be different if he quit because he disagreed with Trump but instead he worked several more months. Clearly he still believes in this administration. He blatantly lied day in and day out. He had his part in undermining our democracy and shouldn't be rewarded.

He'll be forgotten but the only way for him to earn his dignity back now is to kill himself out of shame.

Surfinn

This doesn't matter. It doesnt really matter what they say. Its the fact that they have to say something. Doesnt matter if its spun or not, having to say something is what counts.

Do you think the press secretary's conferences have made things better, or worse for people? Or is 100% of your concern simply about the principle of simply coming out and speaking and you don't care about that?

Here's a novel idea

How about they hire somebody who's actually GOING to do a public service and tell the fucking truth?

Lying, spinning and silencing (ie turning off cameras, hiding in bushes, bargaining with the press to suppress their effectiveness) is NOT doing a public service.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Talking is easy. Making jokes when you don't suffer consequences is easy. If he believed what he said he would never hang out with Spencer, invite him to the emmys or give him any publicity.

So 10 fucking years of Colbert giving us his beliefs, destroying the far right and ACTING on things is wiped out because he made a mistake.

Gotcha.

Liberals really need to stop eating their own so easily. Yes, this was dumb. I don't agree with it myself. I'm disappointed that he did it. It doesn't mean he somehow has been fucking lying to us for 10 years. Jesus Christ, you guys.

rambis

Banned
Do you think the press secretary's conferences have made things better, or worse for people? Or is 100% of your concern simply about the principle of simply coming out and speaking and you don't care about that?

Here's a novel idea

How about they hire somebody who's actually GOING to do a public service and tell the fucking truth?

Lying, spinning and silencing (ie turning off cameras, hiding in bushes, bargaining with the press to suppress their effectiveness) is NOT doing a public service.

They have undoubtedly made things better. I 100% am glad that the Trump Admin had to answer on the record for the muslim ban, for the transgender ban, for the multiple Russia leak stories, provide answers for the Comey firing, etc.

I don't think you understand the position, honestly. You seem to want to hold the Director to a standard of journalistic integrity, when there is none in this role. His job is to be a mouth piece, because the President/VP themselves can't be bothered to answer the press' questions on the regular. As long as what he says can be used to accurately reflects the administration's point of view, he's done his job.

I really don't know how to explain it otherwise. If you're going to continue on this "but he lies" tangent there really isn't much more for us to discuss.

Eh, solid enough response.

Did Fallon ever even address the Trump thing at all on his show? Ever.

People fuck up. I think this is really minor in the grand scheme of things and despite disagreeing with the choice, I understand what Colbert was going for with the bit.

Yeah there's an interview from some news outlet with him about that whole thing.

I know everyone loves to hate Fallon, but I respect him for what he said on the show where he was obviously tearing up, talking about his daughter and how it was important to teach her the right things in the climate today. I also respect that despite him knowing that his ratings have taken a pretty big hit for not making a lot of jokes about the administration (he does a few, just not a lot), and further knowing that if he just started doing Trump monologues every show, his ratings would go up, he doesn't just do it to pander for ratings like Colbert obviously does now that we've seen what happened at the Emmys.

Surfinn

They have undoubtedly made things better. I 100% am glad that the Trump Admin had to answer on the record for the muslim ban, for the transgender ban, for the multiple Russia leak stories, provide answers for the Comey firing, etc.

I don't think you understand the position, honestly. You seem to want to hold the Director to a standard of journalistic integrity, when there is none in this role. His job is to be a mouth piece, because the President/VP themselves can't be bothered to answer the press' questions on the regular. As long as what he says can be used to accurately reflects the administration's point of view, he's done his job.

I really don't know how to explain it otherwise. If you're going to continue on this "but he lies" tangent there really isn't much more for us to discuss.

I agree in the sense that he's had to provide some kind of ANSWERS, yes (yeah I get it, that's his job). But

The bolded isn't true. That's my point. He's done the opposite of this. He's protected Trump/co's REAL point of views via lies and suppression.

Debatable if that's "doing his job"

Ideally, the press secretary is a mouthpiece that TELLS THE PRESS THE PRESIDENT'S VIEWPOINTS, not deflects and distracts from and ignores them. If he's just a piece of propaganda, what's the point?

For example

"The president's tweets/comments/suggestions speak for themselves" is not doing a public service. It's vague bullshit without a legitimate explanation. "I don't want to say" isn't doing your job. Lying about the atrocities of Hitler to score political points isn't doing your job or considered a public service.

But anyway, I don't think we can continue this convo any longer.

kiguel182

So 10 fucking years of Colbert giving us his beliefs, destroying the far right and ACTING on things is wiped out because he made a mistake.

Gotcha.

Liberals really need to stop eating their own so easily. Yes, this was dumb. I don't agree with it myself. I'm disappointed that he did it. It doesn't mean he somehow has been fucking lying to us for 10 years. Jesus Christ, you guys.

Yup, fuck him.

He got rich while doing that. He isn’t a victim. People who get fucked over by Trump and company are.

Kickz

Yup, fuck him.

He got rich while doing that. He isn't a victim. People who get fucked over by Trump and company are.

LOL exactly, like he did it out of the good of his heart, gotta love the naivety of some.

But that isn't what is happening here.

Jumping from this decision to "Colbert doesn't believe anything her says" is nonsense and you know that.

No, that's absolutely fair game to speculate

norm9

This is the problem with having an entertainer/comedian as your go-to political expert when he's just playing a character the entire time. We expect the character, but get the real person, the one who likes making money.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
LOL exactly, like he did it out of the good of his heart, gotta love the naivety of some.

Didn't he say he knew there'd be backlash but thought "the joke" was worth it? Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and take that as a "fuck you, don't care, got mine."

Recent memorable award show moments:

Jesse Williams, David Harbour, Meryl Streep, Stephen Colbert. One of these things is not like the other. And only one of these entertainers have built their entire career off of punching right.

rambis

Banned
I agree in the sense that he's had to provide some kind of ANSWERS, yes (yeah I get it, that's his job). But

The bolded isn't true. That's my point. He's done the opposite of this. He's protected Trump/co's REAL point of views via lies and suppression.

Debatable if that's "doing his job"

Ideally, the press secretary is a mouthpiece that TELLS THE PRESS THE PRESIDENT'S VIEWPOINTS, not deflects and distracts from and ignores them. If he's just a piece of propaganda, what's the point?

For example

"The president's tweets/comments/suggestions speak for themselves" is not doing a public service. It's vague bullshit without a legitimate explanation. "I don't want to say" isn't doing your job. Lying about the atrocities of Hitler to score political points isn't doing your job or considered a public service.

But anyway, I don't think we can continue this convo any longer.

I disagree with most of this post but especially the bolded. If Trump hasn't given additional context or even better if he instructed Spicer to double down then saying the Tweet speaks for it self is indeed doing his job. Its not his job to hand wave or try to reword the President's statements to be more PC like the right wing journalists do. Its not his job to think about what the President might've meant and put it in the best light. Its delivering the message he is instructed to deliver.

Surfinn

I disagree with most of this post but especially the bolded. If Trump hasn't given additional context or even better if he instructed Spicer to double down then saying the Tweet speaks for it self is indeed doing his job. Its not his job to hand wave or try to reword the President's statements to be more PC like the right wing journalists do. Its not his job to think about what the President might've meant and put it in the best light. Its delivering the message he is instructed to deliver.

Yeah. I'm just gunna leave this as agree to disagree.

So. I've been watching Colbert and the way he is condemning Spencer in his show is brutal. A week earlier he showed up to Kimmel's after Kimmel's interview Spicer. Colbert, said to Kimmel that he shouldn't feel sorry for the guy and next he toss him a freebie at the Emmys.

Now that is a double standard guy.

That makes Colbert look like trash. Lecture another late show host about their attitude towards spicer and then double down by actually having the guy at a swanky awards show

Between that and corden giving him bizarre affection it's a really bad week for the CBS hosts haha

Interfectum

Gotcha.

I don't think he's lying. I'm sure he has liberal beliefs. This instance just reinforces that there is another, stronger divide that actually has him on the side of people like Spencer over someone like you or me.

Zubz

Banned
this is one of the most disappointing images i've seen in a long time

4QLwLrc.png

Yeah. I used to hold Colbert in high regard because he didn't bow to politicians, & generally made them look like fools.

Now we have an actual holocaust denier in front of him, & he's just mugging while standing next to him. I didn't really watch his new show, but now I'll refuse to.

Yeah. I used to hold Colbert in high regard because he didn't bow to politicians, & generally made them look like fools.

Now we have an actual holocaust denier in front of him, & he's just mugging while standing next to him. I didn't really watch his new show, but now I'll refuse to.

Wait, Spicer is a holocaust denier?

Anung

Un Rama
Lost a lot of respect for Colbert off the back of this. Corden has always been trash you guys can keep him.

Jason Isaacs <3

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So now Colbert is in the same category as Maher, an Islamophobic man who uses the n-word.

Really?

I meant in regards to inviting racist assholes to give them a platform. I dunno what Colbert's personal views are.

KarmaCow

Wait, Spicer is a holocaust denier?

I doubt it, just an idiot. He tried to claim that Assad was worse than Hitler because Hitler didn't gas his own people and then spent an afternoon digging himself deeper trying to justify it with false technicalities instead of just saying he fucked up.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's depressing to me how quickly us liberals will eat our own. I personally don't find this whole thing to be a big deal at all. I do understand how others do I just think its being blown way way out of proportion. The guy was given two lines that essentially had him up there looking like a dumbass. I'm curious to see if Colbert will address this at all tonight.

I'll still ride with Colbert.

It's depressing to me how quickly us liberals will eat our own. I personally don't find this whole thing to be a big deal at all. I do understand how others do I just think its being blown way way out of proportion. The guy was given two lines that essentially had him up there looking like a dumbass. I'm curious to see if Colbert will address this at all tonight.

Whether you accepted it or not, Corden addressed it on his talk show last night. It would look very odd if Stephen played dumb and somehow forget last night ever happened.

He personally invited Spicer to the Emmy's. He's already said he did this for comedy. It's his decision. Spicer got paid to be made fun of. People got to take pics with a propaganda minister. It's a win-win for both parties.

If you understand how others do find this to be big deal, why are you going hyperbolic with liberal cannibalism? lol

Kickz

Just needs to tender that fake apology and all will be well again

ZeoVGM

Banned
I meant in regards to inviting racist assholes to give them a platform. I dunno what Colbert's personal views are.

He's put his personal views out there for 10 years. If you paid attention to him at all, you'd know his personal views.

I don't think he's lying.

Well, some people seem to:

Sure, go right ahead. But I think it's absolute nonsense. He used Spicer to poke at Trump. It's fair to discuss whether or not that was tone deaf or stupid or inappropriate.

But if you can so easily take a single fuck up and erase 10 years worth of positivity, good will and going in hard as fuck on Republicans, that's ridiculous.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Usually you can tell if it's a one off mistake or a start of a trend just by what the person says afterwards. I am curious how he'll address it. He's usually steadfast on comedy trumping offensiveness in controversies of the past, but this is the first time he's gotten such a large uniform blowback.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Dude you can't just throw out accusations like that. Where is the evidence?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He's put his personal views out there for 10 years. If you paid attention to him at all, you'd know his personal views.

To be fair, he was an actor playing a character, reading a script from a teleprompter that other people wrote for most of that time. A lot of that was him too, but I can see how he might be more centrist than he portrays on TV.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sure, go right ahead. But I think it's absolute nonsense. He used Spicer to poke at Trump. It's fair to discuss whether or not that was tone deaf or stupid or inappropriate.
I'm not about to write Colbert off, but this was a poorly executed and misguided joke. Spicer's participation didn't contribute anything to the satirical ribbing about insecure egos needing spokespeople to make up wild lies in their favor. In fact, his presence so immediately and obviously overshadowed the point that it's hard to understand how it wasn't foreseen. The joke gets buried and Sean Spicer gets a healthy dose of media rehabilitation.

I think what's puzzling is how Colbert ever talked himself into thinking Spicer's involvement was either funny or smart.

Socreges

Banned
To be fair, he was an actor playing a character, reading a script from a teleprompter that other people wrote for most of that time. A lot of that was him too, but I can see how he might be more centrist than he portrays on TV.
He was the creative force behind that show and it was plainly a satire of the right.

Not to mention that we've had the last two years of Late Show, if you wish to disregard the Colbert Report.

Hey, look. A room full of people in the upper rung of the American class system, laughing at Sean Spicer, who is poking fun at the lies he told to the lower class on behalf of our awful president.

This reminds me too much of those Victorian era novels that my wife like to read. I do not like it at all or find it funny in the least.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't see where Spicer is getting this apparent 'media rehabilitation' from. Every single piece of media I've seen has been very negative regarding the whole incident.

Is it possible that everyone that is bitching about this is somehow overlooking the fact that this apperance did absolutely nothing to rehabilitate him and actually did the opposite by shining a light on how much everyone hates him?

Where are you guys seeing positive media rehabbing coverage at?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, never thought I'd see the day GAF turns on Colbert. This truly is the dark timeline.

Ah, reminds me of the good old days of 2014 when I was the only one on the entire forum to defend #CancelColbert. Well, more like the frustrating old days, but whatever.

edit: Looking back, I see I even got a "smug liberals" jab in there. lol, never change, me.

Seriously though, it's a good skill to be able to criticize without it changing your entire judgement on someone.

norm9

Too bad it wasn't the Oscars so we couldn't see Susan Sarandon being confused as to whether to clap or not.

Hope the applause becomes a new meme like the Polanski cheering secton became.

Tregard

Soothsayer
You laugh, but there's a rumor going around in the BB world that Scaramucci is going to be a cast member.

Scaramucci on BB might actually result in a few slips of the tongue, given the constant feeds. As much as it pains me to say it, he seems like he'd play Big Brother well, too.

Whether you accepted it or not, Corden addressed it on his talk show last night. It would look very odd if Stephen played dumb and somehow forget last night ever happened.

Well color me surprised. Watched the Late Show last night and throughout the show, not one mention of Spicer at the Emmys and whether Colbert regretted it or not. Even the person almost everyone unanimously hates, James Corden, addressed his feelings on what he did. The last few minutes of the Late Show, I was thinking Colbert would finally mention it but nope, I guess talking about how much Ted Cruz likes to watch porn was worthy of air time. I think by not speaking up on this as of yet is another bad move on Colbert's part.

Sloane

Banned
I was "eeehhhh" when Colbert invited Scaramucci on his show and made a big deal about it.

But this... this really makes me question Colbert.
Yeah, I didn't mind Scaramucci, the guy was a joke from the beginning, and never really did anything except maybe harm Trump a tiny bit. But Spicer is something else.

Remember that PR lady that made a stupid AIDS joke to her two-hundred followers a few years ago, the outrage that created and the hell she lived through afterwards? Now, here's a guy, who worked for a white supremacist, deceived hundreds of millions of people he was supposed to serve, and what's his punishment? He gets a comfy new job and becomes a minor celebrity. Talk about double standards and getting your priorities in order.

WillyFive

In what way is this a heel turn? In what way has Spicer changed?

He is willing to distance himself from the Trump administration after he left. All the way to willing to appear on live TV to mock Trump.

Sure, he took the job of being Trump's spokeperson and did not leave until a few months later, but when Presidential terms can last up to 4 to 8 years, a few months is nothing at all.

This whole thing about losing respect or criticizing Colbert and Kimmel for being nice to the guy after distancing himself is ridiculous.

You know how we were all mad that pewdiepie's peers didn't at least criticize him on gaming side? Well we're seeing that now with Colbert and his peers.

Kusagari

He is willing to distance himself from the Trump administration after he left. All the way to willing to appear on live TV to mock Trump.

Sure, he took the job of being Trump's spokeperson and did not leave until a few months later, but when Presidential terms can last up to 4 to 8 years, a few months is nothing at all.

This whole thing about losing respect or criticizing Colbert and Kimmel for being nice to the guy after distancing himself is ridiculous.

He hasn't distanced himself at all. You're giving him props for things he hasn't done.

sflufan

Banned
The sooner the Left gets over these milquetoast late night "comedians" (Colbert, Kimmel, Bee, Oliver, et al.) as being some type of bellweather for meaningful political discourse, the better.

Top Bottom