• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Freaks and Geeks

So I was looking for a series to watch on Netflix and I stumbled upon Freaks and Geeks. I've heard of the show and knew of it's cult classic status so I decided to give it a watch. Wow. This show is the poster child for shows gone far too soon. It's cool to see where James Franco and Seth Rogen met and to see where they got their start. Bill is probably the funniest character. I was laughing at so many of his scenes. I kinda hated Kim at first, but as the show progressed, she grew on me. The writing is so honest and good. Also, the show has a kick-ass soundtrack.

Damn shame we never got anymore seasons. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend this show.

Also, Lindsay. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Neece

I do a rewatch every year and like clockwork around episode 14 I start to get depressed because I know it's ending.

Lindsay's parents were great too. Underrated part of an already underrated show.

jerry113

Banned
So I was looking for a series to watch on Netflix and I stumbled upon Freaks and Geeks. I've heard of the show and knew of it's cult classic status so I decided to give it a watch. Wow. This show is the poster child for shows gone far too soon. It's cool to see where James Franco and Seth Rogen met and to see where they got their start. Bill is probably the funniest character. I was laughing at so many of his scenes. I kinda hated Kim at first, but as the show progressed, she grew on me. The writing is so honest and good. Also, the show has a kick-ass soundtrack.

Damn shame we never got anymore seasons. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend this show.

Also, Lindsay. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

found out that actress was 24 at the time
feel much less guilty now

One of the best shows. Infinitely rewatchable. A damn shame it ended so short. It's gotta be my favorite thing to come out of that apatow camp too.

I do a rewatch every year and like clockwork around episode 14 I start to get depressed because I know it's ending.

Lindsay's parents were great too. Underrated part of an already underrated show.
One of my favorite scenes is when her mom asks her to tell Sam he has a nice body.

"Can it, Lindsay!"

iQQHE0H.gif

Probably my favorite moment on the show.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
It's fantastic, just got around to watching it a few months ago. Seth Rogen's character though...what an insufferable person. Compared to the other Freaks he never really changed. I get it, he's a teenager, and not everyone has to become a Good Person in the end, but I just can't stand him. I like Rogen otherwise though.

Pein

Banned
One of the best series ever, nick and his whole arc with Lindsay was just amazing, that's the thing though everybody had good stories on this show.

I still listen to that come sail away song thanks to freaks and geeks.

Neece

One of the best series ever, nick and his whole arc with Lindsay was just amazing, that's the thing though everybody had good stories on this show.

I still listen to that come sail away song thanks to freaks and geeks.

I listen to Rosalinda's Eyes thanks to Freaks and Geeks.

jb1234

One of my all-time favorite experiences was getting to watch the finale with hundreds of other fans at Comic-Con way back in 2004. I liked the episode before but getting to share the laughs with that many like-minded people just brought a whole new appreciation for it.

One of my all-time favorite experiences was getting to watch the finale with hundreds of other fans at Comic-Con way back in 2004. I liked the episode before but getting to share the laughs with that many like-minded people just brought a whole new appreciation for it.
Damn, that sounds awesome

I started watching it for the first time on Netflix a few months ago. Was quite enjoying it, but I let my subscription lapse and haven't renewed. Stranger Things S2 will bring me back and I'll pick up Freaks and Geeks where I left off.

I was actually watching season 1 of each of the above mentioned shows, both set in the 80s, and it was interesting to see some repeated themes/cliches executed very differently.

VAD

I love how Martin Starr evolved from student in F&G to teacher in Spider-Man HC, I don't know if this was a deliberate callback but it was neat.
The one good thing with the show ending so soon is that it did not have the time to become bad.

Mathieran

Banned
Yup, amazing show. Add me to the Lindsay list.

Just about every character on the show has a great progression over the course of the season, and there's so many great secondary characters (like teachers and parents) that are written so well that there's a lot of depth suggested by their dialogue.

I just can't understand why they ended it.

Apparently, NBC screwed it over by switching the time slot a bunch and as a result got low ratings.

I get the sense that almost every guy who was into Freaks and Geeks had a crush in Lindsay. I sure as hell did.

Yeah, kind of hard to watch that show and not have a crush on Lindsay.

I love how Martin Starr evolved from student in F&G to teacher in Spider-Man HC, I don't know if this was a deliberate callback but it was neat.
The one good thing with the show ending so soon is that it did not have the time to become bad.

The guy who played Sam in F&G, wrote the screenplay for Homecoming.

Cheekygrin

Neo Member
Amazing show; one of the finest. Up there with intelligent timeless classics like The Wonder Years and Northern Exposure.

It must be nearly 8 years since I rewatched it. It was such a revelation to me --just last month, even though i've been watching it for 4 years-- that Gilfoyle in Silicon Valley is played by the same actor as Bill in F&G

Such an amaxing show
I think every member of the cast went into great things afterwards with seth and james being the standouts. If this show was anything it spawned alot of talent.

Top Bottom