• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

ignbf44uvz9b.png

ignbf45l0xg6.png

Suspicious why the UI placement is wrong in the IGN video...
Probably because the capture equipment Dice provided are only 720p 60fps.
So the PS4 version was downsampled from 1600x900 to 1280x720.
If what I'm saying even makes sense... lol

DBT85

It's not larger, just closer to the screen edges, probably to fit more stuff.

No, that screenshot from the PS4 from IGN, and the ones above defiantly show the PS4 UI being both larger AND farther from the edges in the IGN shot. Download the pair and look.

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

So... What is this?
I noticed this as well..but couldn't be bothered to capture it, so thank u for this.
Also there where a couple of other moments where the PS4 was missing some lighting effects. Was surprised nobody mentioned it.
Looks like lens flare and not actual lighting effects.

Most likely a bug.
Missing lighting? That looks like a bug.

Digital Foundry mentioned it:
The PS4 does on occasion suffer from a slight delay in drawing in higher textures, and likewise, the lens flare effect in some scripted driving scenes on the Shanghai level fails to materialise. These are rare and subtle contrasts; otherwise, all lighting effects such as god rays, bokeh depth of field, shadows and physics are indistinguishable between the two - also true of draw distance on minor objects for massive 64-player online maps.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview
It happens here too:
iEMuN8JW0c8A.png

DieH@rd

Banned
Why did DF post Xbone videos when they know that their capture is worth nothing? They are just feeding the "high contrast is better" trolls with it...

nib95

Banned
Why did DF post Xbone videos when they know that their capture is worth nothing? They are just feeding the "high contrast is better" trolls with it...

Have you watched the new HQ videos? Even with the compression the PS4 version looks undeniable better. In motion the Xbox Ones resolution and over sharpening differences are far more obvious than in stills. Lots of edge halo'ing, aliasing and shimmering. Basically looks like a lower resolution version with sharpness and contrast on a TV set to maximum. In other words, quite artificial and garish. It's not night and day, but it is definitely visible.

Crisium

I really wished they turned down the settings on the PS4 version so it would run at a native 1080. This is preferable to me.

I don't have the most bitching PC in the world, so I play at the Medium preset at 1920x1080. I can see that the PS4 version has a bit higher settings, so at times it looks better. But I prefer mine because of the clarity of 1080. Yes, I know there is compression, but even looking at slow motion scenes (when compression is least noticeable) there's just that lack of clarity.

My guess is if they went native 1080, the settings quality would be dropped so hard as to make the Xbone version look superior when showing either 720p or very compressed footage. But fuck whoever made this decision, because in that case I'd rather they both run at 1080 and just accept that the Xbone version will look like a mixture of low-medium while the PS4 looks medium-high.

There's a reason no PC gamer would EVER run at a low resolution with higher settings. You always target your desired FPS (whether 60 only club, or you are happy with 40s) at your native res and see how high you can push your settings and reach this target. For the consoles, instead of a target resolution they have targeted settings (about High at 60 fps) and then fuck the resolution we'll figure that out later. That's the wrong answer.

nasos_333

There's a reason no PC gamer would EVER run at a low resolution with higher settings. You always target your desired FPS (whether 60 only club, or you are happy with 40s) at your native res and see how high you can push your settings and reach this target. For the consoles, instead of a target resolution they have targeted settings (about High at 60 fps) and then fuck the resolution we'll figure that out later. That's the wrong answer.

99% of developers seems to think droping the resolution is the right answer though, since 99% of xbox 360/PS3 games were 720p and extremely few 1080p

Probably they know that the average comsumer will not even be able to tell the difference at all

I would never game in 1080p and miss on a single effect i could have in 720p myself, i dont see the difference in resolution as important at all beyond the 720p mark

On the other hand having clearly visible polygons on characters can totally destroy any kind of immersion in a game, so i would drop to 720p in a blink of an eye if i could have more polygons

Top Bottom