• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Kevtones

Labrum was the rumor. Six weeks. Should be fine for spring but there's no need to rush him back, not like he's going to lose his job.

They were redshirting some dudes in the secondary that would have played this year otherwise.

Agreed on the offense. Pettis comes back, we're adding a stud RB to the Gaskin/Coleman combo, Jake is a junior, we'll finally have a big receiver in frosh Ty Jones.

When did the injury occur? Was that known?

Jake needs better pocket presence. He struggles noticeably with pressure and while I think part of that is his height (a very small part), the key to their success next year is upfront. Losing Ross might hurt more than it seems right now due to his unique speed/crisp route running. He stole the show frequently and was responsible for quite a few TDs he didn't score just by scheme. Think they need someone to become that number one. Pettis might be it though he is a great #2 as he proved this year.

I think you'll know pretty early if it's going to be a similar season for them. Their first 'real test' might be at Colorado or OSU. The schedule seems awfully easy at the moment...

cdyhybrid

When did the injury occur? Was that known?

Jake needs better pocket presence. He struggles noticeably with pressure and while I think part of that is his height (a very small part), the key to their success next year is upfront. Losing Ross might hurt more than it seems right now due to his unique speed/crisp route running. He stole the show frequently and was responsible for quite a few TDs he didn't score just by scheme. Think they need someone to become that number one. Pettis might be it though he is a great #2 as he proved this year.

I think you'll know pretty early if it's going to be a similar season for them. Their first 'real test' might be at Colorado or OSU. The schedule seems awfully easy at the moment...

ASU game. It was suspected by some but not confirmed until after the season. Pete doesn't talk about injuries unless it's to confirm someone's out for the season.

Yeah, OL needs to play better, but they only lose one starter from last season. They have NFL talent at both tackle spots, so they should be in good shape there. Whether they'll be good enough to handle lines as good as USC/Bama, we'll see. They won't really get tested like that until they play UCLA or Utah though.

It's a very favorable schedule.

Kevtones

ASU game. It was suspected by some but not confirmed until after the season. Pete doesn't talk about injuries unless it's to confirm someone's out for the season.

Yeah, OL needs to play better, but they only lose one starter from last season. They have NFL talent at both tackle spots, so they should be in good shape there. Whether they'll be good enough to handle lines as good as USC/Bama, we'll see. They won't really get tested like that until they play UCLA or Utah though.

It's a very favorable schedule.

He looked pretty average against WSU and Colorado. Thought he played okay but others led UW to the wins in those games. Comparatively I thought he hung in there pretty well against Bama even though they couldn't get the ball moving. His demeanor didn't change and his composure was on point (as I saw).

An unsung strength of UW was their motions and line changes. So many out of position defensive assignments against the Huskies. That's great design and talent to execute.

Anyway, Fuck the Huskies.

andycapps

Yeah, it was one of hell of a first day fuck up. The fact Oregon's former S&C coach was basically on call tells you how quick it was. I think Taggart keeps him unless there's revolt or something else happens. Most the players responded favorably to the workouts on SM.
He may be a decent coach. I'd imagine there's a very fine line between trying to initiate a new, tougher mindset and push players to fight through pain and adversity while making sure you're not pushing them too hard.

Think anytime this question comes up, universities would be wise to err on the side of player safety due to potential litigation. An offseason is a long time to get stronger.

But I thought we couldn't extend the season for another round of playoffs because the season was too long already

Well it would be the same amount of games and it would start earlier in August - which is like hotter for everyone lol.

But yeah I get your point. A competent playoff system is certainly possible.

cdyhybrid

Ted Miller: Rise of Washington, USC makes for a very happy Pac-12

Edit: Kiffikins making moves:

564yzzt.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GT posted some info on the kids that got early acceptance.

I'll echo what some other GT fans have said that it's amazing that we can even compete at the D1 level in sports with this.

andycapps

GT posted some info on the kids that got early acceptance.

I'll echo what some other GT fans have said that it's amazing that we can even compete at the D1 level in sports with this.
Without the triple option, GT wouldn't be competing at the D1 level. Although, the triple option is why you're getting such bad recruits so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

About the new Cal coach being considered less newsworthy than a Tacl Bell opening, I mean, do you think most people in that town care about college football?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Without the triple option, GT wouldn't be competing at the D1 level. Although, the triple option is why you're getting such bad recruits so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

We can't get recruits either way. Current staff won't even look at a kid who doesn't have a 1100/1600 on the SAT minimum.

Avg profile for the first wave of kids for 2017 is 1468 with 11 AP/IB courses and all As. If we didn't already a football no way would we be D1 if we were just starting out.

About the new Cal coach being considered less newsworthy than a Tacl Bell opening, I mean, do you think most people in that town care about college football?

It's the student paper that ran on a Tuesday when the hiring happened on a weekend and Monday was a holiday.

Also the Taco Bell has booze.

andycapps

We can't get recruits either way. Current staff won't even look at a kid who doesn't have a 1100/1600 on the SAT minimum.

Avg profile for the first wave of kids for 2017 is 1468 with 11 AP/IB courses and all As. If we didn't already a football no way would we be D1 if we were just starting out.
Stanford is a better academic school than GT and they have 3 5 stars and 4 4 stars. Kids can't take official visits there until they qualify academically. So I don't buy the academics excuse, at least not fully.

It's a combination of things. There's no reason for smart kids that are good recruits to not consider GT if they have something to offer athletically. Like Harbaugh or not but he made Stanford a place that smart kids that were talented wanted to go to.

Leonard Warner is a LB that's deciding between Stanford, UGA, and Bama. He's already been on an official to Stanford so he's already academically qualified. Think he's actually going on an official to GT this weekend. Would be shocked if he went to GT tbh because if he's interested in football and education, he should go to Stanford.

A Taco Bell with booze? We need those everywhere.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm thinking that Duke may inch closer to being a football school after this MBB season is over and they've been eliminated on the first round by Monmouth.

Still after a 4-8 campaign, there is reason for optimism. Daniel Jones seems like the reel deal, and next season he might have some actual talent at WR to help him out. And while losing almost every important senior to injury last year more or less deep sixed the season, that gave a lot of the younger players a chance to start whereas they'd just now be moving to that position for spring training.

The recruiting class sits at 37, after losing Sears and Ellis Brooks so not too bad all things considered. I still have concerns about the staff but a couple of them were 1st years at that spot as well. 6-7 should be the floor here I think

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Stanford is a better academic school than GT and they have 3 5 stars and 4 4 stars. Kids can't take official visits there until they qualify academically. So I don't buy the academics excuse, at least not fully.

It's a combination of things. There's no reason for smart kids that are good recruits to not consider GT if they have something to offer athletically. Like Harbaugh or not but he made Stanford a place that smart kids that were talented wanted to go to.

Leonard Warner is a LB that's deciding between Stanford, UGA, and Bama. He's already been on an official to Stanford so he's already academically qualified. Think he's actually going on an official to GT this weekend. Would be shocked if he went to GT tbh because if he's interested in football and education, he should go to Stanford.

A Taco Bell with booze? We need those everywhere.
Never heard of the kid, but anyone in his position would be an idiot not to go to Stanford.

Slo

I can see why academic standards would be less of an impediment for Stanford than for GT. The perception of Stanford as a Silicon Valley Ivy is something that GT just can't compete with, especially for anyone not interested in Engineering/CompSci, which is what GT's strongest at.

Anybody who qualifies for both would be nuts to choose GT over Stanford.

cdyhybrid

Looks like Jimmy Lake will be back this season after turning down the Cal DC job.

Great news for us, but he won't be here much longer regardless.

andycapps

Auburn has a new OC. Chip Lindsey from Arizona State. As you might guess, he is part of the Auburn Family as he was an offensive analyst there in 2013. He's also had time as HC at Lassiter High in GA, Hoover with Rush Propst, SMU, Troy, and now Arizona State.

ryseing

I've been playing some NCAA again to help my cravings. Defense in that game is horrendous. I'm playing on freshman and I'm still routinely getting blown up for huge passing plays.

Sucks that it's the last one.

Top Bottom