• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

cntr

Banned
I'm not sure if I'd call it the best ever, but I really like the new art that comes at the beginning of the 8th edition book, like this one:

1497731190123083044gns4d.jpg

But the series has a lot of great art in general.

cntr

Banned
Animation would be better than live action/CGI for Warhammer 40k, imo. You can pull off a lot of the crazier shit the series has better in animation.

Geist-

There's been a debate about who the second most powerful psyker in thee history of the imperium after the Emperor

Malcador or Magnus?
Magnus because he was supposed to take over for the Emperor on the Golden Throne, and obviously when Malcador tried to do it he wasn't powerful enough.

actually i think we need to replace Draigo with that new Voldus character, it was revealed he was the most powerful psyker of the GK

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Aldrik_Voldus

I'll wait until there is more lore around voldus.

other named psykers would be lower.

high but still low on the list would be Njal, i'd rank him probably 55. in geomancy/tempusts he'd be 1. but its niche.

and each rank to go up I think is kinda how hurrican rankings work. Power 4 is 100 times stronger than power 5. in this chart that has the emperor at #1.

Maybe I'm projecting my inner Blood Angel, but I'm a huge fan of drop pods and storm ravens dropping off dreadnoughts and assualt marines. It doesn't sound like either of your opponents are necessarily ready to deal with air power. Furthermore, drop pods allow you to dictate when and where the action occurs easier than sitting and waiting for the enemy to come to you. It sounds like a good way to avoid your friends killer squad.
Thank you. I'll look into these for sure. Stormraven looks pretty nice, taking a look at it's datasheet. How do Valkyries stack up? I see they're the same in many ways, but smaller/weaker?

Given that they employ a lot of psykers, I can only think of one Eldar psyker of note (Eldrad) off the top of my head.

The question was strictly about the Imperium. If we're talking all races, there are plenty to add to the list. Eldrad is the obvious inclusion.

Leunam

Do the Chaos Gods have a relation with the Eldar Gods or the C'tan

Nurgle has an Eldar Goddess imprisoned in his lab. She's fed every new kind of disease and contagion that papa Nurgle brews in his endless cauldron and gauges its success by how long it takes her to overcome the effects. While he toils away at his work she whispers the cures to these infestations to mortals.

All this because he's in love with her.

Tacitus_

Do the Chaos Gods have a relation with the Eldar Gods or the C'tan

Some. Eldar (and their gods) were used to fight against the C'tan and their Necron slaves. The War In Heaven made the Warp into the hellscape we now know and love and so in a way birthed the Chaos Gods. When Slaanesh was born, he/she/it killed most of the Eldar gods. Khaine was shattered into pieces after Khorne wanted him for himself and fought Slaanesh and Isha was kidnapped by Nurgle and is now imprisoned in his Garden (still a better outcome than being left with Slaanesh).

Some. Eldar (and their gods) were used to fight against the C'tan and their Necron slaves. The War In Heaven made the Warp into the hellscape we now know and love and so in a way birthed the Chaos Gods. When Slaanesh was born, he/she/it killed most of the Eldar gods. Khaine was shattered into pieces after Khorne wanted him for himself and fought Slaanesh and Isha was kidnapped by Nurgle and is now imprisoned in his Garden (still a better outcome than being left with Slaanesh).

so the C'tan are dead now

Maledict

Also the Laughing God escaped the nuking of Eldar civilisation, so is the only remaining free god. In the current storyline, the Eldar have now awakened a new god, Ynead, God of the Dead.

Alternatively use a scalpel to cut off the ears from some transfers from Ragnar's Great Company, stick 'em on and add some extra spiky bits by hand. The logos are almost identical.

Warhammer noob wading in here.

Was always interested in Necrons when they first appeared. Bought some Necron Warriors ages ago but that's as far as I dipped my toes into the game. I had a look at the Necrons again recently and some of the weird shit they have now is just strange to me.

Like, since when did they get Eldar like flying scythes, or the wacky stuff like Doomsday Arks. What's the general consensus on these grumpy Space Egyptians?

Xis

Warhammer noob wading in here.

Was always interested in Necrons when they first appeared. Bought some Necron Warriors ages ago but that's as far as I dipped my toes into the game. I had a look at the Necrons again recently and some of the weird shit they have now is just strange to me.

Like, since when did they get Eldar like flying scythes, or the wacky stuff like Doomsday Arks. What's the general consensus on these grumpy Space Egyptians?

They made a huge change in Necron background between the 3rd and 5th edition codexes. It was very controversial at the time (and still some today). Before they were mindless killing machines, now only the basic warriors are like that; the rest are Tomb Kings in space. Part of the reason was to give them more characters. I was super mad at the time but have grown to appreciate the new background (but ghost arks are still super dumb looking).

cntr

Banned
What, I didn't even know that was the old Necron backstory.

...yeah, I much prefer the new backstory, especially with the War in Heaven. The Tyranids fit the mindless warrior role much better.

Xis

What, I didn't even know that was the old Necron backstory.

...yeah, I much prefer the new backstory, especially with the War in Heaven. The Tyranids fit the mindless warrior role much better.

Old version still had them involved in the War in Heaven; biggest difference was in old version the Necrons were slaves to the C'Tan instead of the other way around.

As a Necron player since 2nd edition, I love the freedom and variety allowed by the current Necron fluff. With all the things that can and has gone wrong with the awakening of the Dynasties, people can still field the mysterious/mindless drone style Necrons if they prefer, as well as Dynasties controlled by C'Tan Shards for those who're fans of the Star Gods direction they took after that. I much prefer the more characterful and varied Overlords though, each with their own quirks and ambitions, trying to reclaim their old territories and reassert their dominance of the galaxy.

Triteon

So I think I made a mistake, picked up the Dark Imperium box sort of spur of the moment because I've always had a love of papa nurgle and the new minis looked pretty dope. Also grabbed Index: Chaos book. I haven't played 40K much since 4th Ed, I was pretty much playing Fantasy exclusively until they killed that game.

Initially I was very impressed with DI. I really like the packaging of dark imperium, the models are fantastic and it was a really pleasant surprise that the hard cover/colour book comes with the box instead of a soft cover. GW really stepped up the value for money IMO.

However after reading through the rules and a fair bit of the fluff I'm just not feeling it, also why cant I have Death Guard Termies? I have 7 forge world DG terminators and the independent character comes in termie equivalent armour. Sure I cam play generic plague army or whatever but that's not the same.

Then I checked my local event finder for tourneys (where I used to go to find fantasy tourneys before that died) and I'm not finding anything listed. There used to be at least 6 or 7 a year, now there don't seem to be any. I guess GW fandom has faded somewhat in my local area. This is how I used to play, none of my friends are into mini games so I used to attend tourneys now they are gone I don't even know if ill ever actually use this stuff.

Anyway I don't even know if I can be bothered to paint the minis that came in the box anymore.

Mikeside

So I think I made a mistake, picked up the Dark Imperium box sort of spur of the moment because I've always had a love of papa nurgle and the new minis looked pretty dope. Also grabbed Index: Chaos book. I haven't played 40K much since 4th Ed, I was pretty much playing Fantasy exclusively until they killed that game.

Initially I was very impressed with DI. I really like the packaging of dark imperium, the models are fantastic and it was a really pleasant surprise that the hard cover/colour book comes with the box instead of a soft cover. GW really stepped up the value for money IMO.

However after reading through the rules and a fair bit of the fluff I'm just not feeling it, also why cant I have Death Guard Termies? I have 7 forge world DG terminators and the independent character comes in termie equivalent armour. Sure I cam play generic plague army or whatever but that's not the same.

Then I checked my local event finder for tourneys (where I used to go to find fantasy tourneys before that died) and I'm not finding anything listed. There used to be at least 6 or 7 a year, now there don't seem to be any. I guess GW fandom has faded somewhat in my local area. This is how I used to play, none of my friends are into mini games so I used to attend tourneys now they are gone I don't even know if ill ever actually use this stuff.

Anyway I don't even know if I can be bothered to paint the minis that came in the box anymore.

When the codex comes out you can bet there'll be Death Guard termies back

Top Bottom