• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes fan translated Great Ace Attorney videos from youtube

Whole channel got taken down and the sub team spent months translating the game via youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgEhyrZZgg

Here's the lead subber's statement (taken from Reddit):

It has come to my attention, as I was sick, that all of our hard work has been removed by Capcom. A year's work of blood and sweat was killed by manual detection by Hiroshi Yasuda, a member of Capcom's board of directors. He holds two thousand shares in the company. He is an 85 year old man who manually sat down and managed to destroy our entire channel.

So what can we do? Well, the translation is not lost. Our footage is gone, but the subtitles themselves still exist in our Google Docs. So what's next for DGS and DGS 2? Well, most likely we will be taking DGS related content to a different platform. What platform? We don't know yet. For now, I know I am going to sit down and figure something out. Over time, I have gotten a new computer and failed to back up the original files. So what do I have on hand?The episodes from Randst Magazine are still on my hard drive, so that's step one.

I will say this. I am not one to be deterred. Not even by 85 year old greedy Japanese businessmen. How much money were we making from this? Zero dollars. Not a single video was monetized by us, and we made zero profit. This was a labor of love, and we were stabbed in the back by a company. This is why YouTube is a failing platform for content creators. Us small guys cannot fight back. I can't fight against someone who literally is a member of Capcom's board of directors. We can only protest this under our free speech. There is nothing less that I want to do than to be complaining about this at 8am, but it pisses me off.

I also want to make note that it was only our channel targeted, and the Web Demo for DGS 2 is still up. Dowolf and TaisatheGamer both have uploaded videos containing DGS content, and only ours was claimed. I am working on a solution to solving this problem, and I can safely say DGS 2 will be subbed. However, we will not be uploading these to YouTube. There are other ways for us to do this, and I will not be deterred by false copyright infringement. Now note, all the translation is done which was the hard part. The time consuming part is figuring out what to do next.
Yours Truly,
Very Pissed Off Person Who Spent a Year Doing What Capcom Didn't

EDIT: I have filed a counter notification against Capcom, so possibly something will come about from this. It falls under fair use and educational use. On the other side, we do have a back up, thanks to someone on Discord. This contains all of our video (albeit in 360p) and our subtitles. Assuming, nothing occurs regarding our counter notification, we will release these videos on an alternate viewing platform.

It is unsure whether or not this was accidental. There are several other channels, from Japan, that have uploaded full commentated let's plays of Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Along with the few from the US. I am not instigating a witch hunt, but rather showing that Capcom specifically targeted our channel.

I hope all the best for them, I watched the videos last year and the amount of effort put into translating every last item description and showcasing it in video format does not deserve this treatment.

It has come to my attention, as I was sick, that all of our hard work has been removed by Capcom. A year's work of blood and sweat was killed by manual detection by Hiroshi Yasuda, a member of Capcom's board of directors. He holds two thousand shares in the company. He is an 85 year old man who manually sat down and managed to destroy our entire channel.

So what can we do? Well, the translation is not lost. Our footage is gone, but the subtitles themselves still exist in our Google Docs. So what's next for DGS and DGS 2? Well, most likely we will be taking DGS related content to a different platform. What platform? We don't know yet. For now, I know I am going to sit down and figure something out. Over time, I have gotten a new computer and failed to back up the original files. So what do I have on hand?The episodes from Randst Magazine are still on my hard drive, so that's step one.

I will say this. I am not one to be deterred. Not even by 85 year old greedy Japanese businessmen. How much money were we making from this? Zero dollars. Not a single video was monetized by us, and we made zero profit. This was a labor of love, and we were stabbed in the back by a company. This is why YouTube is a failing platform for content creators. Us small guys cannot fight back. I can't fight against someone who literally is a member of Capcom's board of directors. We can only protest this under our free speech. There is nothing less that I want to do than to be complaining about this at 8am, but it pisses me off.

I also want to make note that it was only our channel targeted, and the Web Demo for DGS 2 is still up. Dowolf and TaisatheGamer both have uploaded videos containing DGS content, and only ours was claimed. I am working on a solution to solving this problem, and I can safely say DGS 2 will be subbed. However, we will not be uploading these to YouTube. There are other ways for us to do this, and I will not be deterred by false copyright infringement. Now note, all the translation is done which was the hard part. The time consuming part is figuring out what to do next.
Yours Truly,
Very Pissed Off Person Who Spent a Year Doing What Capcom Didn't

EDIT: I have filed a counter notification against Capcom, so possibly something will come about from this. It falls under fair use and educational use. On the other side, we do have a back up, thanks to someone on Discord. This contains all of our video (albeit in 360p) and our subtitles. Assuming, nothing occurs regarding our counter notification, we will release these videos on an alternate viewing platform.

It is unsure whether or not this was accidental. There are several other channels, from Japan, that have uploaded full commentated let's plays of Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Along with the few from the US. I am not instigating a witch hunt, but rather showing that Capcom specifically targeted our channel.

I hope all the best for them, I watched the videos last year and the amount of effort put into translating every last item description and showcasing it in video format does not deserve this treatment.

Whoa, I'm surprised he didn't have all that hard work backed up at least somewhere reacheable, like a cloud solution or something.

Happy to hear they're still willing to do the translation, sucks that they got hit by a setback like this though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is horrible. Not only Capcom won't localize the game, but they also make sure that non-Japanese speakers can't enjoy it via fansubs. What an ugly thing to do.

about how long were the videos up for? we talking years here?

Yeah the sub team got working on translation almost straight away after release IIRC. They were being uploaded regularly throughout last year as the cases were translated so it's not like this new or anything.

Kinda stupid that they don't have local backups of the video. That really sucks though. Still I hope this does mean we might get an official localization soon.

Blackage

Capcom is the Trump Presidency of video game companies atm. Just dumpster fire after dumpster fire of negative news and anger from fans since around when SFV was released.

Also from Reddit:

Luckily, we do not have to resub the entire game. A helpful user on Discord has provided us with a complete back up (albeit in 360p) of our videos including our timed files.

Hopefully they can get the videos up somewhere else.

takoyaki

This better fucking mean they're officially localising it

This would be the only justification that doesn't make them look like comic book villains.

I thought it might have something to do with Capcom cracking down on full Let's Plays of the game; But nope! There's multiple full Let's Plays in Japanese on Youtube, uploaded between 2015 and 2017, with/without commentary. So that's no excuse.

Chauzu

I'm legitimately considering boycotting all Capcpom games from now on.

They just shit on their fanbases so goddamn much.

I will always have to get Ace Attorney games since my fav series but I've been thinking of getting into Monster Hunter but I've decided to wait for when Capcom gets their shit together.

Didn't get around to watching these yet, so this is incredibly frustrating as a fan. This had seriously better be for an upcoming official release.

Isotope

The pain of knowing that we'll probably not be getting DGS 1 (and now 2) hurts. My unfortunate optimism hopes that the 1+2 package makes it stateside, but I already know it won't be happening. 😔

Comandr

It's sad, because I love Ace Attorney, but I think it's a little unfair for everyone to throw the entirety of Capcom under the bus here. We have no idea what the circumstances were, if there was any kind of meeting held or anything. We just know that one (1) old dude with a chip on his shoulder decided to file a complaint against the channel. We have no idea if he was acting alone or as a representative for Capcpom as a whole. I just don't see why Capcom as a company would give one shit about shutting this thing down unless they were planning to localize the game.

Any time Nintendo shuts down a fan thing all of the defenders come out of the woodwork and say "Well its their property."

Nyoro SF

Hmph. If they're not localizing the game, then Capcom has no room to talk or pull this nonsense. Fans did GK2 by themselves and they did DGS by themselves. All this stunt does is push people into other channels.

SalvaPot

If they plan on localizing the game, then I don't mind.

If this was just them been dicks, then that is what I consider a Dick Move.

Chase17

I hadn't watched these yet since I was waiting for their to be no hope at all. That's on me for having in faith in Capcom lol. The exceeded my terrible expectations of just not localizing it.

Capcom continuing their spiral into becoming the next Konami. In fact, in a lot of ways they are reminding me of Konami last gen (as in really mixed, sometimes below par, sometimes good, never great).

Seriously, they even announced a double pack just do both digital

Fuck sell it episodic, fill it with microtransactions, I don't care

Just let me play these fucking games

No! You will buy Monster Hunter and like it!

Top Bottom