• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall technical presentation slides [Up: Tech Videos]

I want the whole game to look like this:

i9ogHZ3w4G9s3.gif

orioto

Good Art™
The models of both are hard to tell a difference imo. That could easily be in SF. I know studios do make higher quality models and downscale so that can be the reason.

attachment.php

This gen has been all about that.
Models are actually pretty bad, and it 's apparent at some point.

Thanks for everyone explaining. I agree that it still looks 'next-gen as fuck,' and I'm still seeing this in real-time in games now! Outstanding stuff :D :D

I want the whole game to look like this:

i9ogHZ3w4G9s3.gif

Ooh! I'm getting Turok cheat code vibes from that video. I really miss the fucked-up cheats you could enter in games to do stuff like this. Gamers still care about this shit.

nOoblet16

it means the smoke isn't interactive, it just clips through objects. I think the only game that uses volumetric smoke/clouds is Rouge Squadron on GameCube.

This is very sad, I always wanted volumetric clouds in Ace Combat and other flying games :(

If you want "volumetric clouds" then lots of games have that...eg Warhawk, Crysis, Red Dead Redemption. If you want smoke effects that interact in real time with object and wind then there are a few games that do it INCLUDING Killzone 2 (for spawn smoke grenade) other examples include Metro Last Light, Stalker, some games with Physx support like Batman etc etc. If you are talking about lights that give yoou the volumetric effect like in Killzone Shadowfall then I can think of three names that do that Metro, Alan Wake and Uncharted 3.

antitrop

Hasn't TMAA been around since the Geforce 6800 series? It's just MSAA + light shader AA for alpha transparencies AFAIK.

Ya, as far as I can tell it's been around since 2004.

Best I could find on Google:

Intellisample is the brand name for NVIDIA's antialiasing method in GeForce graphics cards.

[edit]Intellisample 4.0

Version 4.0 is used in the GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 series, and includes two new methods, Transparency Supersampling (TSAA) and the faster but lower-quality Transparency Multisampling (TMAA). These methods are designed to improve antialiasing quality of scenes with partially transparent textures (such as chain link fences) and textures at oblique angles to the viewing screen.

Intellisample 4.0 support was enabled, unannounced, for GeForce 6 Series cards in NVIDIA's display driver (Forceware), version 91.45[1]. This is not mentioned in the driver Release Notes or on NVIDIA's website.

Skyzard

Banned
My laptop can't really handle the slides - I guess you wouldn't expect it necessarily but did anyone come across mention of input delay time(s) at all?

If you want "volumetric clouds" then lots of games have that...eg Warhawk, Crysis, Red Dead Redemption. If you want smoke effects that interact in real time with object and wind then there are a few games that do it INCLUDING Killzone 2 (for spawn smoke grenade) other examples include Metro Last Light, Stalker, some games with Physx support like Batman etc etc. If you are talking about lights that give yoou the volumetric effect like in Killzone Shadowfall then I can think of three names that do that Metro, Alan Wake and Uncharted 3.

thanks for the explanation

this looks cool

untitled-2bklep.gif

the smoke still clips through snake though

I really need to play Uncharted 3. Loved the first two and I own 3.

Those PS3 comparisons aren't really fair. Being put into the Shadow Fall environment environments and characters will benefit from much better texture resolution, filtering, lighting and AA. Stuff that the true PS3 version doesn't have. So we're not actually seeing the total difference.

KKRT00

thanks for the explanation

this looks cool

untitled-2bklep.gif

the smoke still clips through snake though

Its basically what Crysis 2 DX 11 and then Crysis 3 do. Most people dont know that but every particles is affected by wind in C3 and wind can be generated procedurally, from objects [like helicopters] and explosions. Even guns like Electrovolt [or whatever its called], speed up particles around objects it hits, because it causes small explosions :)
Crysis 3 does that even on consoles, i think.

Its basically what Crysis 2 DX 11 and then Crysis 3 does. Most people dont know that but every particles is affected by wind in C3 and wind can be generated procedurally, from object and explosions. Even guns like Electrovolt [or whatever its called], speed up particles around objects it hits, because it causes small explosions :)
Crysis 3 does that even on consoles.

wow that's really amazing.

every day gamer will see day and night difference between PS3 and PS4 games.

PS3 was definitely nothing like "triumph in realism"... maybe compared to PS2, but not compared to reality.

PS4 has a chance to become that.

And when comparing the two, I dont mean using one old model rendered in new engine, I mean actually turning on PS4 and playing PS4 game vs doing the same on PS3 and same PS3 game. Difference looks to be huge.

If you think differently, i suggest you read over the ppt, not use one point of reference.

I don't think differently. I even said "The game looks excellent, but if you distill it down to its individual elements, you can see that it's still very much a game".

Don't act like people won't still be dissecting this individual texture here or that character model there, like they do every gen. They will discover so much hidden detail when they get closer to stuff, like the KZ model comparison - yet they will also uncover the shortcuts too. Games aren't going to suddenly become flawless with unlimited detail in every square inch "because next-gen" - we've seen in the PC screenshot thread that you can take bad screenshots of even Crysis 3 or Project CARS, and you will be able to take bad screenshots of Killzone: SF as well.

Also I disagree with your assessment of the PS3. Maybe "realism" was a bad choice of words, but there are plenty of games which justified the jump in power from PS2 and are still impressing people today. Just look at GT5, Grand Theft Auto V, Beyond, Uncharted 3, Metal Gear Solid V, God of War 3 etc. Even with next-gen looming, these games still manage to impress the every day gamer - and not in an "*impressive for PS3" way, like when you explicitly say someone looks good for their age rather than saying they look younger than it. I mean genuinely impressive to the point that people initially think "that must be next-gen" when they first see them. Comparing the launch games of 2006 with 2013's newest technical iterations is a staggering leap to me within the same gen.

Skyzard

Banned
I think the biggest problem there is people remember stuff wrong! Like they remember the games being better than they were, probably because most (or the same people that would confuse the graphics) don't focus (so they don't remember) on what isn't up to scratch/imperfections etc to enjoy the experience.

Hopefully all these multiports between gens will help with comparisons showing people they aren't the same, more obviously. So when they do ween them off, they'll be happier to upgrade.

KKRT00

that was AMAZING! We need this effect in games now!

woops double post sry

Yeah, but this simulation requires 20TFlops :p

---

Thats not what they had in mind in presentation. It will be something similar to SMAA and TXAA. Post-process component with temporal supersampling and MSAA resolve for some edges.

RiverBed

Banned
This looks better, but its vaaaaastly more demanding for the GPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwoJ-upjeKo

What's with tech demos showing such cartoonish and weird simulation? That gas demo looked very unrealitsic and unnatural (the physics are good, but still). The fur demos from nVidia look nothing like real hair. ATI's hair tessilation looks like a barby doll with reactions set to max. Water sims usually look like far away oceans, but then the water is extremely light or dense.
...It's just weird. Why not aim for as best you can do in terms of realism/natural looking simulations then we'll see how far we really are and how to improve it going forward.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's with tech demos showing such cartoonish and weird simulation? That gas demo looked very unrealitsic and unnatural (the physics are good, but still). The fur demos from nVidia look nothing like real hair. ATI's hair tessilation looks like a barby doll with reactions set to max. Water sims usually look like far away oceans, but then the water is extremely light or dense.
...It's just weird. Why not aim for as best you can do in terms of realism/natural looking simulations then we'll see how far we really are and how to improve it going forward.

Tech demos exaggerate so that they can clearly show off what they're simulating. If the effect is too subtle then it wouldn't look like much is happening.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Don't act like people won't still be dissecting this individual texture here or that character model there, like they do every gen.
Nobody was saying that. The conversation initially revolved around how the average game consumer ("every day gamer" as spwolf put it) would perceive the upgrade, not the pixel/frame peeping diehards that frequent NeoGAF. That's the irony of the "concern" - most players won't dissect the games this way and will look more at the big picture where various upgrades will accumulate and be much more apparent overall in their abundance.

Maybe "realism" was a bad choice of words, but there are plenty of games which justified the jump in power from PS2 and are still impressing people today. Just look at GT5, Grand Theft Auto V, Beyond, Uncharted 3, Metal Gear Solid V, God of War 3 etc.
None of the games you mention were launch games though, or released within a year of the PS3's launch. So the justification you speak of was quite late in arriving.

Tech demos exaggerate so that they can clearly show off what they're simulating. If the effect is too subtle then it wouldn't look like much is happening.

This.

Also, I like that they are using many volumetric effects and particles that take on physics and lighting.

All this creates a great coheisve image that you may have only seen in a few other games (stalker, metro, crysis 1 and 3) but really was missing from so many last gen games due to last gen hardware. KZ:SF will look quite nice I imagine.

I wonder if they are gonna use any tesselation at all. It is not mentioned in the PDF and they seem to focus heavily on normal LODs (nothing wrong with that for performance reasons though).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This.

Also, I like that they are using many volumetric effects and particles that take on physics and lighting.

All this creates a great coheisve image that you see in other engines but really was missing from so many due to last gen hardware. KZ:SF will look quite nice I imagine.

I wonder if they are gonna use any tesselation at all. It is not mentioned in the PDF and they seem to focus heavily on normal LODs (nothing wrong with that for performance reasons though).

I'm pretty sure they're using tessellation. Look at the fingers in gameplay footage and the piles of bricks and rubble. Very smoothly rounded with lots of little details.

Skyzard

Banned
20TFlops?

Why even show us this stuff! [okay, I know why, but still, fu :p] We'll want a new engine by then anyway, show us what it can do on a PS4 system, that's all they'll ever be doing with it anyway right?... ? License it to pc devs?

This is still essentially KZ3's engine ported and improved on the ps4 I believe.

I think infamous. Second son is doing the same thing.

This is still essentially KZ3's engine ported and improved on the ps4 I believe.

a lot of techniques used last gen (like deferred stuff and worder/tasker CPU job engine stuff) carry over quite well into this newer gen.

Not too surprsing to see some of the base tech remaining.

Maybe for PC but if they still got console around then they not going packing so much power .
So see you in 2025 .

Not even on PC...For stuff like that (volumetric smoke) to have an affect on gameplay, devs will need complete parity across the different spec range (min spec & consoles).

Shawn Elliot put it beautifully in one GFW Podcast episode, he was talking about some DX10 ghost stuff in Stalker. I wish I had a quote.

No spec parity = just eye candy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cross posting from the other thread, for those interested.

720p/high bitrate version of the KZSF gameplay. Bitrate makes it look better than most of the 1080p versions I've found. Framerate hiccups are the video encode, not the game. They're present in most of the videos.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/mW0tlaIQg/

Both used the old engines as a base for the beginning of development before they had PS4 devkits and have been ripping out and adding new stuff since then. Pretty much a new engine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
they probably want to have a look at Call of Duty Ghost and other Microsoft stuff before showing anything. Then they will respond accordingly during e3

I think E3 will be their multiplayer unveiling with the next SP trailer coming at Gamescom. E3 is too soon to decide what they're showing next week. Hell, judges week already happened.

Top Bottom