• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans: Bring Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora to US | NoA: lol no | NoE: Come here instead!

movers2.jpg

Busaiku said:
Why does everyone focus on the Wii games and ignore quality DS titles like Last Window or Soma Bringer.

We didn't. This was just the breaking point. The unique thing also, is that we can put our money where our mouth is because this is the only title that has a pre-order listing on amazon.

I did it my part by writing an e-mail and on the Facebook page.
Anyway, I hope that since Monado is climbing Amazon chart, more people will know about this game and with a positive-feedback loop it will continue to rise and to gain attention.

I really hope this works out for you americans. As shitty as NOE is with its promotion and eshop handling, at least the localization is usually amazing.

I think it's a good and positive way of sending a signal.

Codeblue

Impressive.

Is there a Facebook group for the localization effort? It would be funny if it had more fans than Nintendo itself.

Hero

Pre-ordered one and tweeted NoA's twitter about bringing these games out.

Remember this is not a meaningless cause. Back in the day Super Smash Bros wasn't going to be localized because NoA didn't think people would want to play a game where Mario and Pikachu beat each other up. They only released it after fans demanded it and then when Melee was released Roy and Marth were so popular they finally decided to localize Fire Emblem.

Codeblue said:
Impressive.

Is there a Facebook group for the localization effort? It would be funny if it had more fans than Nintendo itself.

I'm creating a group now. You may also want to check out Operation Rainfall's facebook group.

Sianos

Excellent idea, guys; hopefully this sends a strong message to Nintendo.

Once it hits #1 for video games and stays that way for a few days, someone needs to print some "photographic evidence" out and mail it to Nintendo.

TunaLover

It's on Wikipedia now lol

Wikipedia said:
North American localization

On June 23, 2011, it was reported that Xenoblade had not been at E3 2011 because "Nintendo of America wouldn't let them because they didn't want to show products they aren't planning to sell.", making a North American release seem very unlikely.[18]

In response, on June 24, 2011, users on IGNBoards have started a campaign called "Operation Rainfall" that hopes to shed light to Nintendo of America to localize Xenoblade Chronicles, along with the Japan-only Wii titles The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.[19][20] Fans are encouraged to write letters to Nintendo headquarters as well as preordering the game on Amazon, listed under its original title Monado: Beginning of the World.[21][22]

As of June 25, 2011, the game is currently #5 in Wii game sales overall and #33 in the top 100 video game sales on Amazon.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles#North_American_localization

cj_iwakura

My main cause for lack of optimism is the Mother 3 campaign, and those guys did everything shy of beat down NoA's door with a battering ram.

Big One said:
Gonna be sad once these finally come out and do so poorly in sales.

Here's the way I look at it.
There's two ways this could turn out if the games are released.

1. They do well and Nintendo starts localizing more games.
2. They do poorly and Nintendo continues to not localize the same games they aren't localizing now.

Either way, we at least can't end up worse.

pgtl_10

To be honest, Nintendo is the last company to yield to its fanbase. Remember the HD campaign a few years back? Nintendo flat out ignored it.

pgtl_10 said:
To be honest, Nintendo is the last company to yield to its fanbase. Remember the HD campaign a few years back? Nintendo flat out ignored it.

But the thing with the HD campaign was that it would require a new console, and with the Mother 3 campaign, it would require them to spend the money to get it on DS/3DS.

This is the most likely to succeed of the three.

pgtl_10 said:

That campaign made no fucking sense, though.
You can't just release an attachment to make the Wii HD. And expecting them to release a new HD console at that point in time was just madness.

This one has a firm basis in reality, seeing as the game will already be translated. All they have to do is press the discs and ship them out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
pgtl_10 said:
Xenoblade is the one that really has no excuse for me. The other two...eh, they can say that its too much trouble to localize and such. But Xenoblade is already getting a translation for the European release, all they have to do over here is print the discs.

Big One said:
Gonna be sad once these finally come out and do so poorly in sales.

That's what I was thinking too, just like with Conan, he got a shit load of support and etc , movements, but then those people didn't watch when he came back on the air.

I'll do my part to spam their facebook for them to release NPC Pikmin 2 in the states B^)

friskykillface said:
That's what I was thinking too, just like with Conan, he got a shit load of support and etc , movements, but then those people didn't watch when he came back on the air.

I'll do my part to spam their facebook for them to release NPC Pikmin 2 in the states B^)

Er, for a cable channel, Conan gets pretty great ratings.

Big One

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
My main cause for lack of optimism is the Mother 3 campaign, and those guys did everything shy of beat down NoA's door with a battering ram.
Well I think Mother 3's situation was that the campaign was too late. They didn't start campaigning till like years after the release of the game itself. Most of the campaign was hopes for a port to the DS.

With Xenoblade, TLS, and Pandora's Tower we're getting full English versions of the games, but no release here.

AceBandage said:
Here's the way I look at it.
There's two ways this could turn out if the games are released.

1. They do well and Nintendo starts localizing more games.
2. They do poorly and Nintendo continues to not localize the same games they aren't localizing now.

Either way, we at least can't end up worse.

The fact is that the game has been already translated into English, since it'll be out in Europe in a few months. I think the result in Japan has already been made glad Nintendo (also to establish a possible franchise); if Xenoblade is making his way in PAL countries, why don't publish it also in North America? Distribution costs may be easily repayed, given that a translation is ready. Xenoblade is highly anticipated, maybe it won't sell more than 500.000 copies, but once it gets some reviews and it's advertised a bit, it'll put nice numbers on Wii.

blacky_am

Neo Member
Big One said:
Well I think Mother 3's situation was that the campaign was too late. They didn't start campaigning till like years after the release of the game itself. Most of the campaign was hopes for a port to the DS.

With Xenoblade, TLS, and Pandora's Tower we're getting full English versions of the games, but no release here.

Moreover, we have to consider all the issues coming from the content of the game.

I don't know how the american market would have reacted to Magypsies, the retirement home bashing, or the idea of getting a 8 years old boy high on mushrooms (eventhough they did the same thing with space cakes in EarthBound, oh well)

Takao

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
What do you guys think about doing some youtube videos as well? You can easily grab footage of all 3 games and slap together something with either text or your voice telling and explaining this campaign to everyone. We can even chain our videos together by making them a response to each other's videos. We'll flood youtube with videos about bring the games to the West.

Worked for Medabots DS.

It still burns.

Busaiku

electroplankton said:
maybe it won't sell more than 500.000 copies, but once it gets some reviews and it's advertised a bit, it'll put nice numbers on Wii.
Expecting anything near 500k is insanely optimistic.

cj_iwakura

Big One said:

This is true. And I really want to show the Wii some love before it dies, so you have my ... uh, Blood Berry.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The other issue with Mother 3 is that doing an in-house commercial grade localization is tricky, due to the game's presentation of text and idioms. And there are supposedly licensing issues with the musical riffs used in the game. It's a bit like the sticky issues localizing Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Combined with Mother 3 becoming a crusade when the GBA was basically dead already, it was kind of a doomed prospect.

Folks are indeed PO'd at Xeno because it has been localized and is ready 2 rock... it just has an EU region flag on the disc sticking its finger up at everyone in North America.

Busaiku said:
Expecting anything near 500k is insanely optimistic.

Yes, I know, in fact I wrote it won't sell more than that :p
But it's not unrealistic to think about good numbers, enough to justify the launch. I mean, Xenosaga went well in its hey-days, the userbase for jRPG exists in North America (and it's quite receptive, in particular when a great game is out) and when a core-game is well-presented, it sells also on Wii (e.g. Monster Hunter 3).
Didn't Tales of Symphonia 2 sell well in US too?

Top Bottom