• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 EASHL (PS4) | DISALLOWED GOAL SCORERS

Oshimai

Oh wow. The animations for the defensive skill stick are horrendous.
Emoticon_sick.gif

Stat!

Also... rosters arent up to do.. Marleau not on Leafs.. lol

Gally is rated 85 wtf

Matthews 83
Willy n Marner 82

Love how Habs have a better offensive rating.. ahah.

Matthews is an 83. Geez.

If it makes you feel any better, Polak was an 85 last year.

Just played a 3s match offline to get the hang of some of the new controls

Some of the dekes are gonna be dangerous as they give you the ability to quickly evade to the side like only the between the legs one did in the last 2 years. This will make body checks even more risky to commit to against good players

I havent fully grasped the one handed deke stuff yet but it seems like you cant just hold it out there with one hand for awhile like you could in the past which was a goalie exploit.

The 3s game i played was on arcade mode i think and i was pleased to see some new animations for failed loose puck dekes with players that shouldnt be trying them

Defensive skill stick stuff seems as worthless as I thought it would be. It will have very specific scenarios where it could be a viable option. The kneeling block and stick sweep seems like the best part of the new defense stuff

With all that being said its clearly the same ass game as its been since NHL13 or NHL14

zsswimmer

No worries Swim. Its the name of one of my favorite songs of an album by A Perfect Circle. Album name and song are both 13th Step.

Most of my user names on various forums or even ps4 are music related. My PS4 name, MercySeverity is one of my fav songs off of Mudvayne's album, The End of All Things to Come.

Ha ha, i really love music is my point.
Ah ok, perfect circle is Tools singers other band correct? I thought it was AA related because 13th step meant people going to meetings just to hook up with people who are new to the program lol

Stat!

Any impressions? What you guys think of it? I'll be on tonight but I'm not sure when.

I actually like it so far. I think the AI is vastly improved. The goalies are still kinda awful but the AI skaters seem to be half decent this time around. I think the new puck chop isn't ideal and not sure how much I like the defensive skill stick.

Some issues still remain though and its odd they emphasize deking vs. elements that happen way more often in the game like chipping the puck up the boards to a teammate.

Awesome stuff.

13thStep

The one thing I felt was the gameplay felt a little "loose". Hard to explain what I mean by that. Not as tight? It seemed like the even if we barely bumped each other in the corner or something, we both went tumbling down. Stuff like that. You guys know what I mean?

It was fun though, don't get me wrong. Hell, I love playing EASHL so it would take a lot for me to say I didnt like it.

Also, I looked up all the dekes, I am pretty overwhelmed lol

After like 3 or 4 games of EASHL these were my observations:

+the worst bug from nhl17 where u press the pass button and your player doesnt pass hasnt happened to me yet

+pucks bounce more and are harder to possess when loose

+no obvious goalie exploits seen yet from the new dekes. I was worried about the one hand deke, but its different than before and doesnt seem easily exploitable

+ eashl ai defenseman ai seemed better. They havent skated a puck from behind the net into the goalie yet and have handled defending the rush much better instead of holding a specific side or backing up into their own net

+new defensive skill stick controls are useful. Holding out your poke check works well to cut off passing lanes that you could not before. It seems kind of OP for blocking shots too as it must have some kind of auto-tracking with the puck.

+stamina seems to be tuned more realistically. I got noticeably tired after abusing the sprint/turbo mechanic of pressing the L stick in. I could do this all game long last year and would recover after like 10 secons and only feel slower when the cumulative stamina drop hit near the end of the period. The recovery seems much longer now. This is good as the sprint was an exploit against ai defenseman last year.

+glad the EASHL 3s mode is in NHL sized rinks, its a nice addition. Not really a fan of the arcadey version of 3s in the small rinks, but it will go over well with casuals.

+i tried a lot of deking and dont really see where you can chain moves together like they claimed in the reveal, deking seems to work the same. The new dekes added all seem to have situations they can be used in

-i need more practice but the new chop control doesnt seem to work very well. It seems to require a lot more precision with you picking an exact direction on the right stick opposed to how it used to work

-i only played the puck moving defenseman build and noticed 2 differences. Less agility, felt closer to the offensive defenseman and body checking was easier/actually possible. Last year i bounced off 99% of the hits i attempted with that build. In the beta guys fell almost everytime i hit them. The changes dont seem good for defenseman build balance. I cant imagine any of the other builds are viable at all now that puck moving d can hit. That and shooting were the only negatives.

-icing is still broken at times. We had scenarios where someone got beat to the faceoff dot and the call didnt go the right way and I had one where i dumped in from right outside the offensive blue line and was called for icing???

-goalies still dont cover the post correctly at wide angles and you see the same goals from years past where the shooting window should be closed if the shooter waits too moving past the post.

-AI now refuses to pass to you sometimes when you call for it

-presentation is worse, the new cinematic angles before faceoffs look bad

-classic camera seems slightly tilted like dynamic which is kind of annoying

-same old ai names from last year (carter, nicholls, andrews, mackenzie, stevens, irwin, etc). I was hoping to at least see more variety like last gen with different names/numbers each game

zsswimmer

Fuck I wanted to play today at least a game but cant. What time are yall playing tomorrow. No work or obligations at all for me so I'm open to any time

BeeNee101

Neo Member
Hey guys, I lurk a bit in here, but play a lot of EASHL. I've not had the chance to play the Beta yet due to family commitments, but I was just wondering what people thought about the defensive skill stick?

I thought it would be a game changer for D-men, but the more I read about it, the more I think that the controller inputs make it feel clunky. Is it actually useful?

Hey guys, I lurk a bit in here, but play a lot of EASHL. I've not had the chance to play the Beta yet due to family commitments, but I was just wondering what people thought about the defensive skill stick?

I thought it would be a game changer for D-men, but the more I read about it, the more I think that the controller inputs make it feel clunky. Is it actually useful?

I play mostly defenseman and defensive skill stick seems like its only a situational tool similar to the net battle stick tieup from last year. Regular poke check mixed in with some body checking seems to be most effective still.

The sweeping poke is good for ensuring ur stick position is right to prevent wraparounds and can deny some high slot wrist shots where the puckhandler has seemingly created enough space on their forehand to get a shot thru.

The kneeling block changes dont seem useful at all.

The puck chop controls are more difficult and the puck chop itself seems less reliable than before even if u manage to get the controls right.

Stat!

Great highlights last night. I think Swim has more fight wins in one game last night than he did all year! I still maintain that the AI is way better than last year. Or at least, nothing too noticeable but the goalie still does awfully bad movements sometimes like coming off the post.

I play mostly defenseman and defensive skill stick seems like its only a situational tool similar to the net battle stick tieup from last year. Regular poke check mixed in with some body checking seems to be most effective still.

The sweeping poke is good for ensuring ur stick position is right to prevent wraparounds and can deny some high slot wrist shots where the puckhandler has seemingly created enough space on their forehand to get a shot thru.

The kneeling block changes dont seem useful at all.

The puck chop controls are more difficult and the puck chop itself seems less reliable than before even if u manage to get the controls right.

I lean towards it a bit more useful but I definitely agree that the regular poke check is still king. This does come from someone who doesn't use the body though.

Totally agree about the puck chop. Once a go-to defensive move for moving it in your zone has taken a back seat due to the awkwardness of hitting the stick. I even think of something like hitting square than moving the stick would be an improvement.

BeeNee101

Neo Member
Thanks Gents - I'll get the chance to play the beta tonight. I'm hoping as time passes and things become more intuitive, the defensive skill stick becomes more useful to use. I certainly used the stick ties ups more as the year progressed. I can certainly see the benefit in using the skill stick for defending the wrap around, but I'd hoped it would be a good tool to stop people constantly trying to dangle through you when entering the zone

Stat!

Viz is the one to listen to for D tips. But come back in October when we've played the game for a month and the community is getting the hang of things.

I'll be on at 8 for games

Stat!

The more I play, the more I really like the AI. I noticed Im calling for passes a LOT less this year. Its the goalies that need help.

I think it'll be interesting come October when people figure out the nuances but for now, its great.

Top Bottom