• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Seen Recently |OT| October 2017

27 movies into 31 Days of Horror, and my favorite watches so far have been Night of the Living Dead (never expected to enjoy the OG zombie movie so much), Inside (holy crap, French horror movies are insane), Possession (holy crap, this movie was crazy), and In The Mouth of Madness (the perfect Lovecraftian tribute)

I have high expectations for Kill List, Under The Skin, and Raw, heard good things about all of those

chekhonte

Watched The Conjuring today after craving a scary movie for a while. I like haunted house movies and liked it more than I expected. It is derivative of other haunted house movies. It actually seemed to take a handful of sound work from Evil Dead 2/The Haunting that I appreciated. There's minimal special effects which I prefer. The movie leans on building tension rather than just jump scares. It also manages to be a recently made movie that isnt over produced and plasticy feeling. All in all it's one of the better scary movies I've seen in a while.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Submarine (2010) was on amazon prime in the UK. Beautiful little film. Slow paced but you just soak everything up.

Happy Death Day

Despite feeling somewhat neutered by the PG-13, this is a legit clever slasher, up there with Scream and Final Destination. Fast paced with some really funny dialogue, this movie is genius as it presents the typical first-girl-to-die and spends its running time turning her into the final girl. The film also plays with sexist elements in the genre and real life. It also has what may be the funniest ending line ever in a horror movie.

Highly recommended.
Ooh I like this, will check it out.

kevin1025

Banned
The Dark Tower

Idris Elba was good. Some of the action was decent enough. It has Lagertha from Vikings in it.

That's about all the good I can say, unfortunately.

I only read The Gunslinger about six or seven years back, and always planned on going back and reading the whole series. As a huge King fan, this movie does not remind me of the little I read of the series at all. Even as just a movie on its own, it can't really handle itself, with Men in Black skin suits and the stepdad wanting to pawn the kid off on strange-acting strangers and the mother being cool with it, to portal hopping and Matthew McConaughey putting in a pretty rotten performance. His Jedi-like powers were kind of laughable in terms of how it looked visually. Also,
why didn't Roland do the bullet ricocheting another bullet trick before on him? Could have solved ages of trouble!
It does have a nice shot or two hidden away in there, but overall it came off as a dud. Not an offensively bad dud, and I wouldn't call it super awful by any means, but it's also not good, in my view, at least.

Mett

I saw The Exorcist (1990) today. While it's nowhere as creepy as the original movie for me, its a much much better follow up to it than The Exorcist 2: Heretic was. I thought it was great!

Sean C

What's Up, Doc? (1972): Peter Bogdanovich sure was on a role in the early 1970s, before falling off a cliff in short, sharp fashion. This film is less well-remembered now compared to The Last Picture Show and Paper Moon, the films that came before and after, but it's overall a riotous good time, deliberately in the style of old screwball comedies (and Looney Tunes animated shorts). There are some parts that don't work, in particular one of the final scenes set in a courtroom that makes a laboured attempt at a "who's on first?" gag, but most of the film's comedy works. In particular, the climactic slapstick car chase through San Francisco is dynamite, just endlessly inventive. There's also a pretty brilliant subverted deus ex machina at the end. Barbra Streisand is in peak form here.

The Glass Castle is a well shot, well acted, well told, piece of manipulative wishy washy rubbish. Think along the lines of Captain Fantastic but without the razor sharp point to make about how unhealthy that sort of lifestyle is.

Woody Harrelson is Rex, the non conformist hard drinking abusive dad who spends his kids childhood moving them from squat to squat with no money, patchy amounts of love and respect and little school. Brie Larson is Jeanette, the daughter who begins with deep respect and admiration for her bizarre dad and his unconventional parenting methods, but as she grows up begins to seemingly detest him and with her siblings begins to plot escape from him and Naomi Watts as the floaty failed artist mother.

The story is told partly in 1989 and partly in flashbacks to the 1960's/70's, going between childhood and adulthood and the now grown Jeanette attempts to unwrap her complex feelings about her father and her childhood as try as she might, she cannot remove him from her life entirely.

The acting is absolutely superb, Brie Larson continuing her stellar performances, Woody Harrelson gives a notable performance as does Naomi Watts, and the siblings give passable performances although they don't get enough time in the film to be properly judged. It's beautifully shot, amazing music, aesthetically it all looks amazing, from 1960s rough living in the heartland of America to 1980s New York, and all the clothes and costumes looked authentic.

However where The Glass Castle stumbles so badly is that despite how it portrays Jeanette's childhood, and how it portrays Rex as an abusive drunk, it still decides to try and do the 'both sides' shtick, and show that despite the awful abusive childhood, Jeanette overall loves her father, and her and her three siblings look to the positives of childhood, rather than the abuse, lack of food, and the film attempts to manipulate us too into thinking 'well, he might have been a wife beating drunk, but he was still her dad, right?' And the ending in tune with that theme, is complete sappy nonsense that devalues a lot of what came before it.

It's a real shame, because it feels as though there's a much better film in here somewhere, and the fact it goes to such a useless sappy place feels like a betrayal of what came before. Fortunately, the excellent acting and cinematography save it from being a complete train wreck, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

Arttemis

I was surprised Marshall had a commendable level of accuracy in depicting law. It was still written for an audience, but it was interesting seeing a criminal case tried without discovery. I highly enjoyed the movie.

Lari

Happy Death Day - 4/5
This movie was a blast. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It has some nice curveballs and it never stops being entertaining.
Main actress is really good, she pulls off goofy, scared and dramatic acting like it's nothing. Hope she can have an abuse free career ahead of her.

SeanC

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Damn did I love this movie. It is so damn visceral if not therapeutic in its own nasty way. A slow burn with sharp, violent action that is not for the squeamish. It is fight after fight after fight that is some of the most violent shit I've seen in a while, fantastic effects and surprisingly great fight choreography.

At its heart, it's a grindhouse, gritty crime flick. But it's even subversive to those elements in the same way Bone Tomahawk was with its western genre, Zahler certainly has a way of doing that as he doesn't re-invent the wheel but knows how to execute like a total pro and seems to respect and understand the type of person that would be watching it. Like that movie, I wholly recommended but also don't recommend it. It's going to be person-to-person when it comes to that.

Sean C

However where The Glass Castle stumbles so badly is that despite how it portrays Jeanette's childhood, and how it portrays Rex as an abusive drunk, it still decides to try and do the 'both sides' shtick, and show that despite the awful abusive childhood, Jeanette overall loves her father, and her and her three siblings look to the positives of childhood, rather than the abuse, lack of food, and the film attempts to manipulate us too into thinking 'well, he might have been a wife beating drunk, but he was still her dad, right?' And the ending in tune with that theme, is complete sappy nonsense that devalues a lot of what came before it.
The part that I found most insulting was how
Jeanette's younger sister reappears in the final scene, waxing nostalgic about what a wacky guy dad was, even though her previous appearance featured her moving literally across the country to get away from him

kevin1025

Banned
Wheelman

The new Netflix movie starring Frank Grillo. The movie is style over substance to the nth degree, but I still had a hell of a time with it. Picture the Tom Hardy starring Locke, but more bullets and swearing. It is a gorgeous film, bathed in dark streets and raindrop-ridden car hoods and some unique shots to keep the movie set almost entirely in a car interesting throughout. Grillo does really well, even if most of his dialogue is shouting profanity and threats at people. There is a moment that made me a little unnerved, it felt a tiny bit cruel to sit through (it reminded me of a certain Walking Dead death). But I ended up really liking this one, through its slight runtime being perfect for what it is, and it's never really a dull moment.

The part that I found most insulting was how
Jeanette's younger sister reappears in the final scene, waxing nostalgic about what a wacky guy dad was, even though her previous appearance featured her moving literally across the country to get away from him

Yeah its really weird. Like from that childhood to eating Chinese with him in the squat happy as Larry? What rubbish.

What didn't you like about it? I think it's brilliant!
Maybe I was a bit hyperbolic about how much I didn't like it, but it really didn't click with me. Each short story was fairly cliché when it came to how it tried to bend your expectations and the way that they all tied together was lacking and felt unearned. I might have went into the movie with the wrong expectation since my friend said it was supposed to be a "legitimately scary" horror flick, which to me it definitely wasn't. I can see how people could find it to be a fun Halloween themed movie, but it wasn't in my taste.

UrbanRats

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Damn did I love this movie. It is so damn visceral if not therapeutic in its own nasty way. A slow burn with sharp, violent action that is not for the squeamish. It is fight after fight after fight that is some of the most violent shit I've seen in a while, fantastic effects and surprisingly great fight choreography.

At its heart, it's a grindhouse, gritty crime flick. But it's even subversive to those elements in the same way Bone Tomahawk was with its western genre, Zahler certainly has a way of doing that as he doesn't re-invent the wheel but knows how to execute like a total pro and seems to respect and understand the type of person that would be watching it. Like that movie, I wholly recommended but also don't recommend it. It's going to be person-to-person when it comes to that.
Kinda curious about this, but i really can't stand Vince Vaughn.

I liked Vaughn quite a bit in hacksaw ridge. Dude was hilarious. I got fed up of him in all those comedies he was in for a bit but he's good casting for an average "American Joe"

Kill List was a wild ride. A bleak, gory as hell, insane wrecking ball of a film that swings between drama, hitman thriller, and increasingly unsettling horror. The ratcheting of tension and off-kilter unease throughout, until the crazy finale, makes Kill List one very effective genre hybrid.

The Florida Project is just brilliant. I could write a few paragraphs about it but it would just be effusive praise about everything from filming a poverty tale in budget motels near Disney World from the perspective of the kids to the amazing ending. Willem Dafoe at his best.

Compsiox

Banned
Police Academy....Its a very 80s movie

Kingsman: Golden Circle - It was a lot of fun but something was missing.

Bladerunner 2049 - I loved it for what it was.

IT - That was so good mang.

shaneo632

The Florida Project is just brilliant. I could write a few paragraphs about it but it would just be effusive praise about everything from filming a poverty tale in budget motels near Disney World from the perspective of the kids to the amazing ending. Willem Dafoe at his best.

Yeah I spoke to a few people after my screening who complained about the ending but I think maybe they missed the point. I loved it.

Happy Death Day (2017) - 5.4/10. A horror spin on the Groundhog Day is a great idea for a movie, but who the fuck thought this should have a PG-13 rating? With its lack of gore and simplistic, Groundhog Day for Dummies approach to its intriguing central scenario, this was an intermittently fun but ultimately fairly underwhelming effort.

Credit to Jessica Rothe, though, she CARRIED this film with her charming performance, and she seems set to go onto much bigger things with her charisma and screen presence.

Overall this is a fine film, but it doesn't even begin to achieve its potential because it feels so tame and watered-down for the teen crowd.

Geostorm (2017) - 3.7/10. If you're in the market for a dumb apocalyptic disaster movie, this is the film for you.

The script is laughable, the effects are all over the place and it almost borders on self-parody at times. Drink beforehand and you'll have a blast.

Someone called it "the best 4/10 movie of 2017" and that's totally on the money.

Sean C

Walkabout (1971): Nicolas Roeg's solo directorial debut. An excellent example of the sort of experimental cinema that emerged from the late 1960s onward, what with the collapse of censorship, it's also an example of how the 1970s swung perhaps a bit too far in the other direction for modern sensibilities -- what with the extensive full frontal nudity from the then 16-year-old Jenny Agutter (and, more briefly, her 16-year-old costar David Gulpilil). The story, about two white schoolchildren who get stranded in the midst of the outback when their father goes berserk and tries to kill them (the film's thesis is that Modernity Made Him Do It), and end up tagging along with an Aborigine hunter-gatherer on a walkabout ritual (at first I thought he was supposed to be an uncontacted person, though later in the film he seems to know where to find white people; this film is very much about symbolism over plot, so probably one shouldn't think about it too much). At times Roeg's directing style tends to get in the way of his story by calling too much attention to itself, but it's definitely an interesting watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Walkabout (1971): Nicolas Roeg's solo directorial debut. An excellent example of the sort of experimental cinema that emerged from the late 1960s onward, what with the collapse of censorship, it's also an example of how the 1970s swung perhaps a bit too far in the other direction for modern sensibilities -- what with the extensive full frontal nudity from the then 16-year-old Jenny Agutter (and, more briefly, her 16-year-old costar David Gulpilil). The story, about two white schoolchildren who get stranded in the midst of the outback when their father goes berserk and tries to kill them (the film's thesis is that Modernity Made Him Do It), and end up tagging along with an Aborigine hunter-gatherer on a walkabout ritual (at first I thought he was supposed to be an uncontacted person, though later in the film he seems to know where to find white people; this film is very much about symbolism over plot, so probably one shouldn't think about it too much). At times Roeg's directing style tends to get in the way of his story by calling too much attention to itself, but it's definitely an interesting watch.

We watched this during an English lesson at school in the early 80s. We had no idea what was going on but it freaked us the hell out.

seeing as this forum is always on the verge of imploding every week lol I decided to make a letterboxd account:

https://letterboxd.com/YungDisco/

finished that Mindhunter show on netflix recently. Initially I thought it was just alright but now having completed the season I gotta say it was pretty damn good. The scenes when they interview the serial killers are the most unsettling, the actors they chose for these guys have all been great. Fincher's direction especially shines in the last two episodes. The ed kemper scene in the finale stands alongside many of the tense moments you saw in Zodiac.

Icolin

Banned
Blade Runner 2049

Watching this for a second time was a wise choice. That was phenomenal.

Probably neck and neck with Dunkirk as my favourite film of this year, honestly.

Sean C

Sissi (1955): I have vague memories of a late 1990s animated series called Princess Sissi, though I never watched it at length. In later years, I learned that "Sissi" was the real Empress Elisabeth of Austria, and that she is quite a romantic figure in German-speaking countries. Evidently the 1955 Sissi was a big part of establishing that following, and having now seen it, it's easy to see why. Covering the courtship of Sissi (Romy Schneider) and Emperor Franz Josef (Karlheinz Bohm), who was originally meant to marry Sissi's older sister Helene, the film is an lush costume drama, and colourful in a way that only Technicolour era productions could be. Schneider became a star on the basis of this and its two sequels, and it's easy to see why. The film loses steam a bit toward the end, which becomes mostly an exercise in showing just how big the budget is and setting up the next film in the series.

Happy Death Day - 4/5
This movie was a blast. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It has some nice curveballs and it never stops being entertaining.
Main actress is really good, she pulls off goofy, scared and dramatic acting like it's nothing. Hope she can have an abuse free career ahead of her.

I give it a 2/5. Very lazily-made movie. Kind of like one of those forum "What if you are in a Groundhog day" threads make into a movie.

I really don't like the main character.

gamz

Good to hear. I adore Tangerine and this looks fantastic!

kevin1025

Banned
Is there anywhere movie gaf is migrating to?

Hey there. The regulars of this thread are definitely moving to a new place! We're all going to the new forum (whenever it opens), and also have a Discord that we plan to be regularly chatting in, as well. It's closed up for now because of trolls and all that, but we'll open it back up once the dust has settled. If anyone wants in, let me know, and I'll pass it along! Just know it may not be right away.

TissueBox

Hey there. The regulars of this thread are definitely moving to a new place! We're all going to the new forum (whenever it opens), and also have a Discord that we plan to be regularly chatting in, as well. It's closed up for now because of trolls and all that, but we'll open it back up once the dust has settled. If anyone wants in, let me know, and I'll pass it along! Just know it may not be right away.

I might be interested. ^^'

Don Jon

Finally got around to watching this, and it was pretty damn great. Soundtrack is ace, too.

--

8/10

This and 50/50 are respectable Levitt companion pieces.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I've seen Blade runner 2049 which is my movie of the year, Everything about it Loved. If I had to give a criticism it would be the ending was not the best, but it was still not a bad ending

Saw Thor Ragnarok yesterday, best thor movie yet, the story was better then I thought it would be and the action felt like some retro sci fi movie.

Since I wanna talk about this and the new forum is starting to get rolling, but not quite...

I watched Sekigahara Monday night with my friends. All star studded cast (In Japan) about one of the most famous battles in the samurai era. The battle only lasted 6 hours, but basically every well known samurai took place in it. Great story right...

Terribly boring movie. Some genuinely good sets, great costumes particularly for the generals, and occasionally good camera work. For one of the most famous battles, the actual battle portion is only the last 20-30 minutes of a 2 and a half+ hour film. Interesting story, terribly paced, and an odd side story of a female ninja injected into it.

Not every movie needs to be nonstop action, but when the action does happen its very sparce. The lead actors get cool scenes for about 30 seconds each, Sakon Shima exploding a dudes head with a sword was awesome, Mitsunari's close up shot of him shooting cross bows, switching to a new one and shooting again was sick. That's about it. The rest of the battle is uninteresting, and looks like a cheap recreation rather than a real battle.

Top Bottom