• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

Once I get more time this week I'm gonna get really comfortable and play a long session of card thief for the top score.

Enjoy your throne while it lasts Pitta!

awp69

Crap. I didn't know that Sunless Sea will only support iPad Air and iPad Pro. Guess I won't be getting that for my mini 2. :(

PittaGAF

This was really weird from Apple.
Something happened at last minute imho.
Like a bug or pricing disagreements or whatever.
I still don't buy that someone in Apple, out of all the icons in the AppStore (keep in mind that icons in the video aren't only from the promotion, there are icons from other famous indie games like Device 6 or Sorcery!) choose a MacStore icon and adapted it to look like an AppStore one.
It really doesn't make sense, they could have picked an old indie game icon....there are thousands.

Anyway....this is Sunless sea week!!!

Also...but now I'm a bit esitant to tell you....you may or may not watch this space tomorrow :p

Pachimari

What does this card do? Is it so that I can secure the chest and get it out of the room?

CobYNZr.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
This was really weird from Apple.
Something happened at last minute imho.
Like a bug or pricing disagreements or whatever.
I still don't buy that someone in Apple, out of all the icons in the AppStore (keep in mind that icons in the video aren't only from the promotion, there are icons from other famous indie games like Device 6 or Sorcery!) choose a MacStore icon and adapted it to look like an AppStore one.
It really doesn't make sense, they could have picked an old indie game icon....there are thousands.

Anyway....this is Sunless sea week!!!

Also...but now I'm a bit esitant to tell you....you may or may not watch this space tomorrow :p

Could be it wasn't ready to launch. Or they might have it as the Editors Choice in the full store update later in the week, and have it featured for a week?

PittaGAF

What does this card do? Is it so that I can secure the chest and get it out of the room?

CobYNZr.jpg

It's an obstacle.
If lit it will costs you stealth points to traverse.
If in shadows you can traverse it freely, but do know that there are advantages to keep it in the board (but you have to discover them :p).

Pachimari

I see, interesting. I'm only at the first castle but maybe I'll discover more uses for that door at the next castle. Will I get any bonuses for not using my skill cards? Because right now I can't see why I shouldn't use them before escaping the room. Also, I haven't see anything but a local offline leaderboard.

PittaGAF

I see, interesting. I'm only at the first castle but maybe I'll discover more uses for that door at the next castle. Will I get any bonuses for not using my skill cards? Because right now I can't see why I shouldn't use them before escaping the room. Also, I haven't see anything but a local offline leaderboard.

You get no bonuses for using or not using skills.
Some skills gives
You bonuses tough.

You should see local and GC (friends and worldwide) leaderboards.

Pachimari

When playing Black Manor I only see this leaderboard:

Also just unlocked Castle Wolfskull.

There are two things I don't get. Like how I increase the number in the top center of a stage. But I'll play through that tutorial again.

PittaGAF

When playing Black Manor I only see this leaderboard:

Also just unlocked Castle Wolfskull.

There are two things I don't get. Like how I increase the number in the top center of a stage. But I'll play through that tutorial again.

In the map press the icon near each castle to see the online leaderboards.

The multiplayer raises each time you walk away 2 steps from your initial position, so starting form certain points is much more valuable than others.

What game is this in the promo images for the new 9.7 iPad? Looks like if Alto's Adventure was an RPG.

Nw3l6s2.png

Thanks!

(And yes, I'm considering getting this new iPad. My last iPad was the 3.)

Nobody knows when and for which platforms it'll release on. It's not even out for iPad yet.

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.

My girlfriend loves puzzle games like The Witness, but she only really plays games on her iPhone, so it would be a bit of a bummer if it was iPad exclusive.

Oynox

I am wondering if the new iPad is worth the buck. Comparing the 128GB model with the most recent added 128GB iPad mini, I am doubting that the A9 is worth 20€ while also passing on the laminated and antireflex display + most importantly the way higher ppi count of the mini...

However one could consider the 32GB model as well but I think the space is just too small for my backlog though I would be forced to choose better...

I'd love to join the iPad family this year but I am still uncertain which to get. The 9.7 Pro sounds most promising but is beyond my financial possibilities.

I am wondering if the new iPad is worth the buck. Comparing the 128GB model with the most recent added 128GB iPad mini, I am doubting that the A9 is worth 20€ while also passing on the laminated and antireflex display + most importantly the way higher ppi count of the mini...

However one could consider the 32GB model as well but I think the space is just too small for my backlog though I would be forced to choose better...

I'd love to join the iPad family this year but I am still uncertain which to get. The 9.7 Pro sounds most promising but is beyond my financial possibilities.

I'll have to wait for reviews and see it in person if the new iPad's screen is still decent enough and if the size and weight increases are noticable. I've got a 32GB iPad Mini 2 which has an older style non-laminated screen and I'm pretty find with it TBH.

And while the Mini does have higher PPI, I honestly want a larger screen because some stuff just seems like it was made with the normal size iPad in mind. Even after having it for years, certain links or buttons just don't press the first time I push them. I also never really use my Mini for videos because the screen is just a little too small for that, unless I have it on the armrest of my couch or something really close to me.

I definitely have to be careful with what I keep installed on my 32GB Mini, but it's not as big of a problem as I though it would be. I still have way more games installed than I could ever play at one time (I've got about 3 folder pages full of games), but whenever I want to download videos for a plane ride or put a big game like KOTOR on it, I need to think about what I want to keep and what I can get rid of.

Some more thoughts on Card Thief
Once you start understanding the ruleset, this really opens up. For example, backstabbing guards (approaching them from the opposite direction of where they're looking) costs you no stealth points. But it can be tricky to backstab guards on the outermost areas of the grid. However snuffing out torches causes the guard to shift over to investigate, so with smart movement while clearing out the grid, you can maneuver guards to backstab effectively

And got to praise the aesthetic and overall presentation. The game is just gorgeous. The hideout theme of the main menu. Your tool cards being held in a gauntlet. The artwork of the cards. The little animations and sound effects of guards and traps.

Daigoro

yeah the aesthetic in Card Thief is really great. love the art and theme.

so far its pretty fun, but i dont really feel like i know what im doing. hopefully it will click with me once i figure it out.

You need to steal 10 treasure chests.

cool thx

awp69

Touch Arcade broke the news already....so without further ado......

WARHAMMER QUEST 2: The end time HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED, SLATED FOR AUTUMN 2017 for iOS and Android, and it looks GLORIOUS.

(In case you wonder, yes this was the title I was rumbling about).

Sweet. I enjoyed the first game.

Those screenshots are gorgeous. Hope they stick with premium model (with IAPs for additional content like the original).

PittaGAF

Sweet. I enjoyed the first game.

Those screenshots are gorgeous. Hope they stick with premium model (with IAPs for additional content like the original).

Yep and from the look of it, it's full 3D with pan, rotate and zoom.
Judging from the characters bases, looks to meline a mix between WHQ and Hunters 2, regarding the AP.
Loving the look of it, the imperial guards and their feathered helms look fantastic.
Lighting is great too.

Can't frigging wait.

Pachimari

I get you didn't love the original Warhammer Quest to death like me :)
Sorry!

But after what happened to Rodeo, this is HUGE!!!!
I actually never tried the first one. This might turn out well, but I'm not big on Warhammer to begin with. Also, don't apologize. I'm glad you're excited about it. :)

And today is Death Road to Canada day!

Personally I couldn't care less about Death Road to Canada but probably it's just me...I know you are all excited so get it now, it is out.

I owned Death Road on PC for a bit and it didn't grab me at all. I even gave it a go on both solo and local play and we both died of boredom before the zombies killed us. It isn't just you here.

ParityBit

I played some Card Thief last night.....

I have no idea what I am doing! I mean, I get the chest and get out, etc. But where does my money go/how do I use it? What about the junk that comes out of the chests/etc?

awp69

I'm more interested in Sunless Sea TBH. And have been spending like crazy as it is so probably will pass on Death Road to Canada.

PittaGAF

I played some Card Thief last night.....

I have no idea what I am doing! I mean, I get the chest and get out, etc. But where does my money go/how do I use it? What about the junk that comes out of the chests/etc?

The money is your score.
The junk has no purpose for now. Right now the only useful thing in the chests is insigna which is used to unlock catles and items.
It's random but the higher the chest value, the more insignia you get (up to 3).
Do know that after you unlocked everything with a said insignia, you won't find it anymore (but you will looking for the other ones).

PittaGAF

I'm more interested in Sunless Sea TBH. And have been spending like crazy as it is so probably will pass on Death Road to Canada.

Same here.
Even if I'm still utterly enjoying Kingdom New Lands (third island is so hard!!!) Ticket to Earth and Oxenfree which continues to amaze me.

awp69

Oh screw it. I've had a rough couple weeks and just saw I have $20 in Best Buy credit...I'm going to try DRTC.

And, Pitta, I did get Kingdom on X1 and really liking it so far. Need to play it more. So many games...

Pachimari

Okay, holy shit, Death Road to Canada turns out to be super addicting. I'm not too crazy about all the text and situations while in the car, but when you're out of it and is trying to survive and hold off the zombies it's incredibly addictive. It's all about recruiting people you can trust to your team, managing everybody's equipment, setting their tactic, and increasing their morale, fitness, mechanical finesse and other stats. You need to loot furniture, make sure you got enough gasoline for the car, meat for your hunger. Then you have a ton of different weapons like wooden boards, screwdrivers, hammers, rifles, guns and you need to have enough ammo. You can pick up and throw stuff on the ground, move around objects etc. The controls is also spot on, where you move around with an invisible stick, you attack by pressing anywhere on the screen, and then there's two buttons, one for use, and another for swapping weapons.

Death Road to Canada is legit.

I don't have enough time for all of Kingdom: New Lands, Card Thief and Death Road to Canada. I haven't even finished That Dragon, Cancer or really started up Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic yet. And I also got Football Manager to play, and not to talk about Cosmic Express. And tomorrow is Sunless Sea.

Matt Frost

^ Thats why i wont buy it... yet... so many games like Card Thief, After the End and Oxenfree, needs to clear a bit of backlog first. As i grow older i realize i am an app hoarder more than a gamer, so it wont happen to me anymore. Willpower!

Top Bottom