• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

killercow

Just got the new iPad that came out, what games have I been missing? I keep mildly up to date on iPhone but I don't have a plus so if it's some longer game or one that isn't so good on the phone I have put it off. I've currently got FTL, Crashlands , death road to Canada and steam world heist on it but am looking for anything that controls well or is just better on an iPad

Here we go:
Sunless Sea
Severed
Ticket to Earth
Papers, Please
The Room Series
Sorcery 1/2/3/4
80 Days
The Battle of Polytopia
Reigns
Hidden Folks
Oxenfree
Botanicula
Samorost 3
Love You To Bits
Kingdom: New Lands
The GO Trilogy by Square (Lara Croft GO especially)
Any Simogo game

And that's just off the top of my head and mostly recent games.

PittaGAF

Anyone playing Hades' Star?
It soft launched somewhere (Canada I think but don't remember) and it's pretty good.
It's a 4X with a really nice look, you can form alliances etc...
Sort of multiplayer StarBase Orion.
The multiplayer part is far in the game tough...I'm still getting my bearings in the initial Star system.

http://www.hadesstar.com/

killercow

Little Dreams (Spin off from Little Nightmares) announced for mobile:
https://twitter.com/LittleNights/status/847863472901763072

Edit:

Just played a few matches of Hero Academy 2. It's quite pretty and all the animatons are really well done. The game lags a bit but I'm sure that'll be fixed. It's online only and works a lot more like Hearthstone now with decks, packs, cards and Hero powers. It's also no longer asynchronous as you need to stay connected for the entire match or you'll loose.

Matches are quite fast but tend to be units against units while the main objectives, crystals, can be hard to hit. Not sure of the balance yet, will have to play longer for that, but as I said I loved the symmetrical and predictable nature of the first so not sure that this sequel is for me.

Here we go:
Sunless Sea
Severed
Ticket to Earth
Papers, Please
The Room Series
Sorcery 1/2/3/4
80 Days
The Battle of Polytopia
Reigns
Hidden Folks
Oxenfree
Botanicula
Samorost 3
Love You To Bits
Kingdom: New Lands
The GO Trilogy by Square (Lara Croft GO especially)
Any Simogo game

And that's just off the top of my head and mostly recent games.

This will certainly keep me busy!

I own FF tactics and the world ends with you from my phone. But when I go to re download them on my iPad it looks like it's trying to charge me- is this the iPad version I'm trying to get? Am I able to just use my iPhone version?

awp69

I own FF tactics and the world ends with you from my phone. But when I go to re download them on my iPad it looks like it's trying to charge me- is this the iPad version I'm trying to get? Am I able to just use my iPhone version?

Square Enix was kind of, pardon my French, assholes with these two games. Under normal circumstances, even if there are separate iPad and iPhone versions of a game, you'd be able to play the iPhone version in 2X mode. But Square purposely blocked access to the iPhone versions on these.

So, yeah, unfortunately, you have to buy it again. Can't remember if both of these are Universal now but I think in any case they upgraded the iPhone versions to be Universal....still making iPad owners pay twice if they want it on both devices.

killercow

So right now every app that comes with iPad support is called a "universal app" which means that you can download it for your iPhone and iPad and redownload it at no additional cost. Sadly, in the past and especially with some publishers, they didn't liked the idea of you getting both for free and sold separate HD version. Square was one of them and did that until quite recently. So for those you'll either have to play them in 2x mode on your iPad or buy the HD version.

Edit: Beaten :D

Pachimari

Fuck, I really can't get into Oxenfree. I hate missing out on so much dialogue because it's all quite fast and my heart's pumping. Might give it one last chance on PC though.

Pachimari

Just bought myself an Android phone and is disappointed to see Card Thief isn't out for it yet. Anyway, I'm currently installing games that works great on a small smartphone screen. So have Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Card Brawl and Reigns installed. Thinking of buying Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic too even though I already own it for iPad Pro.

Just bought myself an Android phone and is disappointed to see Card Thief isn't out for it yet. Anyway, I'm currently installing games that works great on a small smartphone screen. So have Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Card Brawl and Reigns installed. Thinking of buying Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic too even though I already own it for iPad Pro.
Android is the odd man out for a lot of games. Either the Android release comes weeks or months later, or not at all

Pachimari

Android is the odd man out for a lot of games. Either the Android release comes weeks or months later, or not at all
Yeah I've been used to that for years with my LG G3. Although just switched over to a Huawei P9 Lite. I'll play some other games. Maybe I'll finally beat Monument Valley.

awp69

Best thing about Android is emulators. Shield products have some exclusives. And a lot of RPGs (not just Kemco but other indies) also appear there first. But that's about it.

Oh, and soft launches, often go through "Early Access" and can be gotten in any country.

There's also a LOT more crap to wade through since Google has little quality control.

One more benefit: Humble Bundles. I've gotten a ton of great Android games - sometimes before they are released on Google Play through bundles. Not as much lately though.

RM8

Humble Bundles are awesome indeed, I miss that about Android. Also that you can back find APKs of games that have been delisted for ages, which is great for preservation (which is a silver lining of one of Android's biggest downfalls - rampant piracy).

awp69

OK Golf is on sale for $1.99. Been thinking about getting it so grabbed it. Really fun little golf game. A bit on the easy side so far but I like that you can play one handed with the newly added portrait mode. Perfect potty game. :)

PittaGAF

After being Magic free for the last 20 years (after being a real addict), for some reason...with the excuse to teach Magic to my son, I installed Magic Duels.

Surprisingly, it is really good even if I had heard about endless complaints.
Now I'm back in the rabbit hole...what have I done?????

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
No joke, this kind of prevents me from going back to Android, even though I really want to :(
Just out of curiosity..... why do you prefer Android? Not trying to start an iOS vs Android argument or anything.

RM8

Just out of curiosity..... why do you prefer Android? Not trying to start an iOS vs Android argument or anything.
Mostly customization, openness, and not being tied to only one brand of phones. Honestly I don't have a strong preference, I've owned and loved WP phones, Android phones, and iPhones, and I don't think any of those three are bad (except for WP's sheer lack of apps, that ended up being a deal breaker). Lately, though, I'm thinking of going back to Android because of phones like the Zuk Z2 which is small, super beefy, and very cheap to boot.

Top Bottom