• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eleven years later, Titan Quest gets a new expansion

SirNinja

Out of freaking nowhere:

Steam link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/741350/Titan_Quest_Ragnark/

It's $15 (until November 24), requires the Anniversary Edition of TQ on Steam, which is free for anyone who owns the original game there too. (If you don't have TQ on Steam, Anniversary Edition is 80% off right now)

01.png

The expansion adds a new Act, a tenth mastery (Runemaster, uses both spells and weapons), boosts the level cap to 85, lots of new gear, new gear types (thrown weapons), more relics/charms, more character customization options, and lots of various QOL improvements.

Oh and you can wear pants now!

Trailer here

04.png

THQ Nordic is incredible.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Despite traditionally always skipping over this sort of game I recently played Torchlight for the first time and realised I love that sort of gameplay, and now I've realised I own Titan Quest. I'll have to play it, and if it's as good as people say it is I'll get this expansion. Hell, I might get it regardless because I love the idea of a new expansion releasing this long after the game's original release.

I hope support for old games becomes more of a thing. I bet Blizzard could release a new expansion for Diablo 2 and sell well enough.

Kind of curious about the relationship between the devs of this and the devs of Grim Dawn. They seem to use the exact same system for choosing your class and I understood Crate to staffed by former Titan Quest devs. Is this people leftover who never left to join Crate? Or is it more like a publishers with nobody left who worked on the original game just funding some additional development on an old IP to make some money?

Not trying to disparage the game either way, but I'm curious. With the spiritual successor being in active development and a superior game by all accounts this is pretty unexpected.

isual

do you need to beat immortal throne to get into this content?

the vanilla and expansion are so dry and meh really.

bwolfman

Neo Member
do you need to beat immortal throne to get into this content?

the vanilla and expansion are so dry and meh really.

I’ll agree the base game was a little drawn out, but Immortal Throne was fantastic for its time; better content than Diablo’s Reaper of Souls on release.

Mulgrok

Grim Dawn was a such a large improvement over Titan Quest that I am not sure about getting this expansion. Maybe I will try it when tired of GD.

Unity2012

Wow! Great news. I love this game.

I played TQ so much when it first came out. I recently got the Anniversary Edition on Steam. I can't wait to see what this new expansion brings.

EDIT: I just checked and it's out now for $14.99 (a 25% discount).

Thank you for sharing this OP.

Ubername

Banned
Damn, wish I was a fan of this game b/c I've had the anniversary edition installed for mad long and this is pretty cool of them.

I would actually buy this again if they released it on consoles, I know they have a version on mobile. I think it's the full game I hope they had the expansion on mobile too. Plus it has no microtransactions, which makes it heroic.

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
It always warms my heart to see a game receive add-ons years and years later, well after its "expiration date", especially a full-blown expansion pack.

Ubername

Banned
I think it would definitely sell.

I think that's optimism. It's a diablo clone from 2006 that is primarily a pc game, and there's nothing by and large console gamers like doing more than turning their nose up at the old guard of PC gaming. How did civ rev do? How did dragon age do on consoles? Horribly.

SirNinja

I think they need to work on their development pipeline. At least they seem to be faster then Valve.

Not sure if serious, but this xpac wasn't made by the same dev. The original makers of TQ folded shortly after the game's first expansion came out, then THQ died, then Nordic bought up most of their assets, then Nordic saw there were still people playing TQ so they made Anniversary, and then they got yet another company to make Ragnarok. (Hopefully as a test bed for Titan Quest II.)

After getting a bit burned out on Diablo 3 in 2013, I decided to go back to TQ for a bit but couldn't get over how clunky the combat felt compared to D3.

New patch on PS4/Xbox, Ragnarok still pending on consoles:

We still have to release Ragnarok which won't happen until we are happy with the state the game is in, so yea we are working on those things as well over time.

THQ Nordic could have pulled the plug a long time ago if they wanted, it has been quite costly already and they still support and wish to push forward with patches and support.

So I wouldn´t worry too much.

Runes is greyed out, but visible in the skills window. Can't remember if it was last patch

Top Bottom