• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

As vague and possibly misinformed as he is, I don't mind if it's localized to Cyborg's character. I mean, everyone else comes off great in the past footage. Cyborg's...there. He's kinda glum. Not that he shouldn't be, all things considered. But yeah, at the end of the day Snyder oversaw Whedon writing the new scenes, and he's talked about Cyborg being the heart of the story. Between his father being a major supporting player and his origins connecting him to the mother boxes. If that's what wasn't working, do what you gotta do.

I don't know if this was always like this regarding movie interviews before, or if it's just some sort of placebo effect, but It's funny how since BVS "What about the tone?" seems to be the "go-to" question every time someone interviews actors or directors starring in a CBM movie.

I think Patty and Wan got questioned about this, and the Shazam director already made sure to highlight that Shazam " will be the most fun and lighthearted dc movie yet!".

A lighter Cyborg? Thank God.

Cj3ndzA.jpg

ReiGun

If the original script had Cyborg as glum and overly serious like he appears in the trailers, then yeah. Fix that shit asap.

Loathe as Gaf is to admit it, people like Cyborg. Lots of people, in fact. I fell down a rabbit hole of reaction videos and reviews for the trailers, and so many people were excited to see Cyborg because they remember him from the Teen Titans shows. And on those shows, Cyborg is a fun loving wisecracker who yells "Booyah!" a lot. Sure, he's also smart and a competent superhero, and his condition as a half machine man causes him some turmoil in the og TT series. But the aspects of his character that are fun like hanging out with Beast Boy are what endeared him to people.

And yeah, I know he wasn't like that in the comics, But shit, you gotta give the people what they want and I'm sure the people would prefer a Cyborg closer to the one they know.

There's more to that interview with Miles Dyson that's interesting.

Unlike the other members of the Justice League, Victor has no alias, he has no way of hiding behind another personality or some sort of mask in order to protect themselves. He is very much like Frankenstein [Frankenstein's Creature] again in that there's no disguising who he is. So that what I think ends up happening is that section of the movie and certainly that character, Cyborg, is a metaphor for being The Other. Which is why I'm glad it's being played by -- that I'm playing dad and Victor is a black, young man. Because I think that is the metaphor in a certain way, that it is talking about what it means to be The Other. Even if you have something that you can contribute to society, very often society doesn't view you that way. Because when you are The Other, the first response by the mainstream, if you will, is to ostracize. So I think that's what Victor's fears are. He has to figure out how to overcome before he then eventually becomes benevolent and understands that the powers that he has can be used for great good.

He also says he's signed onto a Cyborg movie, which will be Cyborg & The Metal Men and totally happen!

Neophant

He also says he's signed onto a Cyborg movie, which will be Cyborg & The Metal Men and totally happen!

That's my big takeaway from the interview. Really glad it's looking like he'll be there for upcoming DCEU films and that he'll most likely live through Justice League. We all need a little more Rowan Pope in our lives!

shingi70

Banned

Reading that is the exact reason I want a Cybirg solo movie. There's so much potential in story telling to be had.

Interesting

Sounds like Whedon has more influence than some initially thought, but I'm ok with that.

”It's a little bit unorthodox," admits Ben Affleck, who will reprise the role of Batman in Justice League. ”Zack had a family tragedy, and stepped off, which was horrible. For the movie, the best person we could've possibly found was Joss. We got really lucky that he stepped in." Affleck, who helmed the Best Picture-winning Argo, describes the resulting film as ”an interesting product of two directors, both with kind of unique visions, both with really strong takes. I've never had that experience before making a movie. I have to say, I really love working with Zack, and I really love the stuff we've done with Joss."

In conversation with EW, Affleck also brushed off rumors that the Justice League reshoots indicated problems with the film. ”I've never worked on a movie that didn't do reshoots," Affleck says. ”Argo, we did reshoots for a week and a half! Four days on Gone Baby Gone!" And though the studio hasn't said anything official about Affleck's future as Batman, the actor is confident that Justice League reflects the best ambitions of the DC Extended Universe. ”This is a really nice time to work in DC. They're hitting their stride. They're getting it right. It's starting to feel like it's really working."

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess half of the movie will look bland af
I know you're like half joking, but uhh wouldn't Joss still be using Zack's crew for all the re-shoots? I don't think he gets to (or has the time to) bring in an entire group of his own people. There are continuity people, lighters, DP's, etc that have to maintain the look of the film.

We just need the movie to be good regardless of who's directing really, if Joss can "fix" whatever it needs to be fixed, so be it.

My only real concern is if joss's reshoots will stick out like a sore thumb, hope the movie feels consistent somewhat.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
hmm

ben's face aside, you can tell which shot is snyder's visuals and which is not
Plane scene is not Whedon's... Ben didn't look like that from April 2017 to now. I actually went and looked at pap shots of him going back to late last year and never saw him looking like that. Unless I totally missed them somehow. If you have proof, I'll take the L.

Ninjimbo

This sounds like the type of movie I thought JL was going to be under Snyder. Oh well. A fella can only dream now..

I hope those rumors of Snyder returning to JL are true.

Penguin

Yeah he's been with the league since 2011 when the new52 launched I think, but some people still think he's a made up addition for the movie specifically

Well you have to assume the market of comic readers is small

And 6 years is still a small amount of time in the grand scheme of comic books.

But on the other hand... it's a weird complaint since there's never really been an "established" team beyond The Trinity and perhaps the Flash. Heck even in the 80s/early 90s they weren't members of the team sans Batman.

Like you can say Aquaman, but there's a generation of kids who grew up with him off the team in the animated series. You can say GL (and that's a big omission), but they aren't at 7 yet.

But even that gets you to 6. Which has varied from Manhunter to Hawkgirl to Hawkman to Black Canary

jackdoe

Well you have to assume the market of comic readers is small

And 6 years is still a small amount of time in the grand scheme of comic books.

But on the other hand... it's a weird complaint since there's never really been an "established" team beyond The Trinity and perhaps the Flash. Heck even in the 80s/early 90s they weren't members of the team sans Batman.

Like you can say Aquaman, but there's a generation of kids who grew up with him off the team in the animated series. You can say GL (and that's a big omission), but they aren't at 7 yet.

But even that gets you to 6. Which has varied from Manhunter to Hawkgirl to Hawkman to Black Canary
In my mind, the founding members always consist of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter. That's generally the line-up that Grant Morrison went with, and it also includes the original line up from the first Justice League appearance (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter vs Starro).

Penguin

What are the"original" avengers?
Unless you mean the "core" then I think Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk

In my mind, the founding members always consist of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter. That's generally the line-up that Grant Morrison went with, and it also includes the original line up from the first Justice League appearance (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter vs Starro).

But see MM wasn't a part of the Superfriends at all.

And that's what I mean by "core" like look at Justice League throughout the comics, TV shows, movies and the sort... you'll hardly find a team that doesn't have Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/The Flash, but you'll find major teams that lack Aquaman or lacks MM.

Ashhong

Unless you mean the "core" then I think Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk

But see MM wasn't a part of the Superfriends at all.

And that's what I mean by "core" like look at Justice League throughout the comics, TV shows, movies and the sort... you'll hardly find a team that doesn't have Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/The Flash, but you'll find major teams that lack Aquaman or lacks MM.

Yea like how JL core is the Trinity and maybe even Flash.

I always hear how Iron Man was a B level character, so I'm surprised he's part of the core.

Broadly speaking I don't feel most have a problem with Cyborg, and arguably, a number of them like the character. He's not in a Carol Danvers situation. The friction is twofold: Folks see him taking away a spot from other members. They see him as a Titans member and not part of the Justice League. Both are sort of unfounded.

Would I take Martian Manhunter over Cyborg? yeah, but it's not an either/or situation. And for modern origins of the Justice League that lead off with Darkseid, they tie into Cyborg's origin. Had they gone with white martians, that's another situation. And it may be another situation for JL2 or whatever. The Justice League isn't limited to six or seven members.

I see the Cyborg reshoots as a positive. I admit I don't know much about the character but having him be some dour, emotionless robot (just going by the footage that's been released) seems like a disservice to the character and actor. The guy seems so jazzed and elated to play Cyborg, it would be nice if his enthusiasm can be brought on screen.

Top Bottom