• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(04-20-2017, 04:35 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
The portable sets they have are good if a bit pricey, but they have great construction due to the price.
Big Baybee
Member
(04-20-2017, 06:06 AM)
Big Baybee's Avatar
I'm looking to buy some bass heavy wireless headphones and i have kinda narrowed down my choice to the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and the Sony mdr-xb950bt/b. Which from those two would you guys recommend and do you have any other suggestions around the 100-150 price range?
Tommy DJ
Member
(04-20-2017, 07:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Septemtriones

General concensus on Bose products here at gaf is that it's shit. What about Bang and Olufsen? General thoughts on its headphones and sound systems?

Headphones are eeehhhhh. Their high end loudspeakers are perfectly good but very expensive.

You're really paying for the aesthetic design as much as the sound.
Last edited by Tommy DJ; 04-20-2017 at 08:02 AM.
HiResDes
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:12 AM)
HiResDes's Avatar
Their shit is pretty comfy though gotta give them that
Chumley
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:17 AM)
Chumley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Big Baybee

I'm looking to buy some bass heavy wireless headphones and i have kinda narrowed down my choice to the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and the Sony mdr-xb950bt/b. Which from those two would you guys recommend and do you have any other suggestions around the 100-150 price range?

I've tried out a lot of wireless headphones and all of them either sound like shit or are uncomfortable until you hit the mdr-1000x, if you're willing to spend $150 I'd say just wait until they drop to $300 (should be by the summer and even lower if you want to go used) and get those if you can save up another $150.
eosos
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:22 PM)
eosos's Avatar
Looking at these for at home listening now (primarily on an iPhone). Anyone have experience with it? Have seen some stellar reviews all over the place.

BeoPlay H6: https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-Bang-Olu...00E9PHY1U?th=1
HiResDes
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:23 PM)
HiResDes's Avatar
Comfy as fuck, airy, really nice clarity, but kinda bass light IIRC...Only spent some time with them at an Apple Store lol.
eosos
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:36 PM)
eosos's Avatar
Just wished they had a lightning connector. Hmm wonder if there is a replacement cable that will do it. Or I guess the dongle exists.
matmanx1
Member
(04-21-2017, 02:07 AM)
matmanx1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septemtriones

General concensus on Bose products here at gaf is that it's shit. What about Bang and Olufsen? General thoughts on its headphones and sound systems?

Both Bose and B&O make good looking, high quality stuff. It isn't necessarily the best sounding stuff and it will always be pricey but in general their stuff is average to good.

That being said it's always a good idea to shop by what you are looking for in a headphone or speaker and not by brand. Every brand has its hits and its misses and sometimes there are surprisingly good products from makers that don't necessarily have the best names.

Find out what's important to you and how much you can afford and start your search there, regardless of brand name.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(04-21-2017, 02:14 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
Do people think bose headphones look good? They always look and feel like flimsy plastic.

B&O at least uses high quality materials.
Jabronium
Member
(04-21-2017, 02:06 PM)
Jabronium's Avatar
Feels weird not having the incessant upgrade urge. Considering some LSR305's for when I don't need the headphones but otherwise extremely happy with my setup.

That being said...anyone have experience on how HD700's pair with a Lyr 2 & Mimby? Seen all the horror stories about ear bleeding treble on the 700's, but I'm curious.
Wowfunhappy
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:15 PM)
Wowfunhappy's Avatar
Not entirely on topic, but I thought this might be a decent place to ask: assuming I'm generally okay with lossy files, which of the big music download stores—iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play Music, others I'm forgetting?—offers the best sound quality?
deoee
Member
(Yesterday, 12:28 AM)
deoee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy

Not entirely on topic, but I thought this might be a decent place to ask: assuming I'm generally okay with lossy files, which of the big music download stores—iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play Music, others I'm forgetting?—offers the best sound quality?

For me (not necessarily bit rate but mastering wise): Tidal = iTunes(Apple Music) > Google Play > Spotify > Deezer

In some songs it's a day and night difference between e.g. Apple and Spotify
Song of the Turtle
Junior Member
(Today, 07:54 AM)
Song of the Turtle's Avatar
Is active noise cancelling worth it? It looks like the feature comes with quite a price increase and I don't really care about bluetooth.

Some german retailers offer the MDR-1000x for 299€ right now and I am tempted to bite since I've been travelling a lot recently.

The most I've spent for headphones until now was 100€ for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear two years ago. I still think they are amazing and cannot really imagine that there is a huge increase in quality thats worth 200€ more.
Chumley
Member
(Today, 07:57 AM)
Chumley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Song of the Turtle

Is active noise cancelling worth it? It looks like the feature comes with quite a price increase and I don't really care about bluetooth.

Some german retailers offer the MDR-1000x for 299€ right now and I am tempted to bite since I've been travelling a lot recently.

The most I've spent for headphones until now was 100€ for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear two years ago. I still think they are amazing and cannot really imagine that there is a huge increase in quality thats worth 200€ more.

As someone who lives in a noisy house with the windows open a lot, it's a godsend. If you're normally in quiet areas it's pointless.
Koodo
Member
(Today, 06:49 PM)
Koodo's Avatar
My 4 y/o creative live aurvana headphones passed away peacefully overnight. :(

What's some good suggestions in the 100-200$ range? Mostly for in-house use.
K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(Today, 06:54 PM)
K.Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Koodo


What's some good suggestions in the 100-200$ range? Mostly for in-house use.

That price range is overflowing with options, you'll need to provide way more detail, as far as what you're looking to buy.
Koodo
Member
(Today, 07:12 PM)
Koodo's Avatar

Originally Posted by K.Jack

That price range is overflowing with options, you'll need to provide way more detail, as far as what you're looking to buy.

Basically a second tier continuation of the creative live aurvanas. Closed headphones, somewhat portable, wired, fits around the ear. I'll mostly be using them indoors, so noise cancelling isn't a priority.

I've been looking at these ones for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...r%2BHD595&th=1
HiResDes
Member
(Today, 07:40 PM)
HiResDes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Koodo

Basically a second tier continuation of the creative live aurvanas. Closed headphones, somewhat portable, wired, fits around the ear. I'll mostly be using them indoors, so noise cancelling isn't a priority.

I've been looking at these ones for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...r%2BHD595&th=1

Those aren't closed nor anything like the Cal in terms of sound signature.
Koodo
Member
(Today, 07:42 PM)
Koodo's Avatar

Originally Posted by HiResDes

Those aren't closed nor anything like the Cal in terms of sound signature.

This is why I need help.
HiResDes
Member
(Today, 07:43 PM)
HiResDes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Koodo

This is why I need help.

You can get some used Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on Amazon within that price range - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00S...&condition=all
Xander51
Member
(Today, 08:29 PM)
Xander51's Avatar

Originally Posted by Koodo

Basically a second tier continuation of the creative live aurvanas. Closed headphones, somewhat portable, wired, fits around the ear. I'll mostly be using them indoors, so noise cancelling isn't a priority.

I've been looking at these ones for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...r%2BHD595&th=1

DT770 32Ohm version maybe? That'd be my personal favorite that fits those criteria.
HiResDes
Member
(Today, 08:48 PM)
HiResDes's Avatar
Those are bulky and peaky

Thread Tools