• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Husker86
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:29 AM)
Husker86's Avatar
Looking at a new portable battery charger.

What are everyone's thoughts on QuickCharge? Now that Type C is becoming the standard, the Type C charging speed of 15W will be on (all?) devices.

The reason I ask is because there are two chargers I'm looking at--one has a Quick Charge 3.0 port with a 15W Type C port, the other supports up to 30W via Type C but has no Quick Charge (just two 2.4 amp Type A ports).

So my choice is
- 15W Type C with Quick Charge 3.0 Type A
- up to 30W Type C with "standard" 2.4 amp Type A

I'm leaning towards the latter, since there is potential to use this on future, large devices, like laptops.
Quasar
Member
(04-21-2017, 08:34 AM)
Quasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

Any smart company having difficulty sourcing parts should make a $50 pricier model with the better parts.

Though if the part your short on is curved oled screens you're shit outta luck.
ty_hot
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:47 AM)
ty_hot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quasar

Android Messenger. That's why I use for people not using Allo.

I found Alo interesting, the assistant integration is great... but what do google expect? that people would have Allo for online messages, Messenger for SMS, Hangout for video calling and messages in PC/Android/iOS and Duo for video calling (only for phones)? wtf. They had Hangouts right, they could have just done everything inside a single app. But no, they want to have 4 different apps for 4 different situations.Its like having a note taking app that works for lists, then another that works with photos but only on the phone, then another that works with photos and lists on PC and mobile, then another... this is beyond stupid.
sionyboy
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:53 AM)
sionyboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Seems like the Huawei p10 phone parts are sourced from various places of various speeds lol.

Inject a little more lottery irl


https://www.xda-developers.com/huawe...pecifications/

Wow. :/

If it was between UFS 2.0 or 2.1 then, fair enough. But dropping down to eMMC and a lottery on DDR3 or 4....

Perhaps that article was right to call "Wow-Way" a cheap knock off. :p
Bboy AJ
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:27 PM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Husker86

Looking at a new portable battery charger.

What are everyone's thoughts on QuickCharge? Now that Type C is becoming the standard, the Type C charging speed of 15W will be on (all?) devices.

The reason I ask is because there are two chargers I'm looking at--one has a Quick Charge 3.0 port with a 15W Type C port, the other supports up to 30W via Type C but has no Quick Charge (just two 2.4 amp Type A ports).

So my choice is
- 15W Type C with Quick Charge 3.0 Type A
- up to 30W Type C with "standard" 2.4 amp Type A

I'm leaning towards the latter, since there is potential to use this on future, large devices, like laptops.

I'd like the answer to this question, too. I have portable batteries but the charging technology is changing so rapidly, I don't know what's what anymore.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Husker86

Looking at a new portable battery charger.

What are everyone's thoughts on QuickCharge? Now that Type C is becoming the standard, the Type C charging speed of 15W will be on (all?) devices.

The reason I ask is because there are two chargers I'm looking at--one has a Quick Charge 3.0 port with a 15W Type C port, the other supports up to 30W via Type C but has no Quick Charge (just two 2.4 amp Type A ports).

So my choice is
- 15W Type C with Quick Charge 3.0 Type A
- up to 30W Type C with "standard" 2.4 amp Type A

I'm leaning towards the latter, since there is potential to use this on future, large devices, like laptops.

I don't have it with me go check but I do feel like the ravpower turbo + battery pack I have could do both.

Also could charge itself quickly with quick charge 3.0.
EmiPrime
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
EmiPrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by ty_hot

I found Alo interesting, the assistant integration is great... but what do google expect? that people would have Allo for online messages, Messenger for SMS, Hangout for video calling and messages in PC/Android/iOS and Duo for video calling (only for phones)? wtf. They had Hangouts right, they could have just done everything inside a single app. But no, they want to have 4 different apps for 4 different situations.Its like having a note taking app that works for lists, then another that works with photos but only on the phone, then another that works with photos and lists on PC and mobile, then another... this is beyond stupid.

It's infuriating. It's pushing me away from Android.

Apple have a messaging solution that integrates SMS that works on mobile devices and traditional computers, linked to your phone number and your email address(es). Why couldn't Hangouts be that?
The Faceless Master
(04-21-2017, 01:30 PM)
The Faceless Master's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

Any smart company having difficulty sourcing parts should make a $50 pricier model with the better parts.

the problem is they started with the pricier model....
Jeffrey
Member
(04-21-2017, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by The Faceless Master

the problem is they started with the pricier model....

Yeah the MSRP is almost at the top end lol.






So it seems like Samsung and Google are partnering up again.

Play music is default player and Samsung owners can upload 100k music vs 50k for free users. Also 3 month trial for new users.


http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15...usive-features
newdayrocks
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:00 PM)
newdayrocks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

So it seems like Samsung and Google are partnering up again.

Play music is default player and Samsung owners can upload 100k music vs 50k for free users. Also 3 month trial for new users.


http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15...usive-features

Nice. Google Play Music is the GOAT.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:14 PM)

Originally Posted by newdayrocks

Nice. Google Play Music is the GOAT.

Don't really like the app, but the free cloud backup of music is convenient as someone that uses iPhone and Android.

Wish the partnership would allow full quality picture backup on Google photos though.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
(04-21-2017, 04:24 PM)
DrFunk's Avatar
Samsung still do the weird thing where they don't show album artwork on the lock screen when using Google play music?

On another note, the Xperia XZs is $50 off on Amazon, if that's your thing
Jazzy Network
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:48 PM)
Jazzy Network's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Don't really like the app, but the free cloud backup of music is convenient as someone that uses iPhone and Android.

Wish the partnership would allow full quality picture backup on Google photos though.

The app UX is terrible. I stopped using it since I only used it for internal music and it sucks for that so bad.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
(04-21-2017, 05:54 PM)
DrFunk's Avatar
Get an unlocked, international G6 for $580: https://9to5toys.com/2017/04/21/lg-g...ipped-reg-700/

that was fast
Fezan
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:58 PM)
Fezan's Avatar
So I got Google assistant on my Xperia z2. Really liking it. But was it released for all Android phone because my nexus 6p doesn't have it yet
Jeffrey
Member
(04-21-2017, 08:24 PM)
S8+ is the sex. Sluggish atm but I'm installing stuff.
TheZink
Member
(04-21-2017, 08:32 PM)
TheZink's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrFunk

Get an unlocked, international G6 for $580: https://9to5toys.com/2017/04/21/lg-g...ipped-reg-700/

that was fast

I bought a brand new one off swappa last night for $480. Not bad at all.
-Pyromaniac-
(04-21-2017, 08:46 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by DrFunk

Get an unlocked, international G6 for $580: https://9to5toys.com/2017/04/21/lg-g...ipped-reg-700/

that was fast

Lol it's like clockwork.
IronRaven
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:04 PM)
IronRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fezan

So I got Google assistant on my Xperia z2. Really liking it. But was it released for all Android phone because my nexus 6p doesn't have it yet

It's supposed to be something Google does on their end. It depends completely on luck really.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
(04-21-2017, 11:40 PM)
DrFunk's Avatar
Bixby is even more gmiped on verizon
reKon
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

S8+ is the sex. Sluggish atm but I'm installing stuff.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ablerpro&hl=en
Lashley
Banned
(04-22-2017, 12:18 AM)
I'm coming back to Android from iOS after two years

What are some essential/recommended apps/things to do?
-Pyromaniac-
(04-22-2017, 12:31 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by DrFunk

Bixby is even more gmiped on verizon

the upside is that I don't think anyone was actually anticipating bixby. Just google assistant that shit.

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

S8+ is the sex. Sluggish atm but I'm installing stuff.

Ended up getting one eh. Nice. After seeing it, it's hard as hell to look at phones with more bezel. I said it earlier in the thread but notable bezels now look years old to me after seeing phones like the s8.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:34 AM)
https://youtu.be/Gd3cyoZG3mQ

There's always someone here that wants a small android phone.

Well... There is this.
kaiyo
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:24 AM)
kaiyo's Avatar
Xperia xzs vs s8+ (sd835) speed test

https://youtu.be/0b6oxPeJas8

Wonder how fast the xz premium is with sd835 and ufs storage instead of emmc.
Last edited by kaiyo; 04-22-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Blackhead
Redarse
(04-22-2017, 01:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/Gd3cyoZG3mQ

There's always someone here that wants a small flagship android phone.

Well... There is this.

ftfy.

everyone here who says they want a small android phone don't just want any small android phone. Otherwise they'd just get a Goophone SE instead of complaining that there aren't any small android phones... There are no true small flagships left. Even the iPhone SE isn't a true flagship without 3D Touch for the second year running. The Xperia Compact series remains the only reasonable choice, albeit an expensive one.
NeOak
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:06 AM)
NeOak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/Gd3cyoZG3mQ

There's always someone here that wants a small android phone.

Well... There is this.

God damn
Bboy AJ
Banned
(04-22-2017, 03:01 AM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/Gd3cyoZG3mQ

There's always someone here that wants a small android phone.

Well... There is this.

I've been clamoring for a new age HTC Veer. But this Jelly thing is a piece of garbage. What a missed (niche) opportunity.
Quixzlizx
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:21 AM)
Quixzlizx's Avatar
Samsung coming in hot.
WhiskerFrisker
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:25 AM)
WhiskerFrisker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/Gd3cyoZG3mQ

There's always someone here that wants a small android phone.

Well... There is this.

Disgusting.
Groof
Junior Member
(04-22-2017, 03:30 AM)
Groof's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

The app UX is terrible. I stopped using it since I only used it for internal music and it sucks for that so bad.

Word. I had to switch to Spotify again because Google hates people who are abroad and the entire experience is so much better. I swear the only thing I miss is all the music I had in the cloud but honestly everything ells about Spotify makes up for it.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:39 AM)

lol, googly pls.


anyways, been enjoying the s8+ so far.

- iris just doesn't work for me with glasses on. quicker to just do the pin.
- fingerprint location is fine, pretty much impossible to use with a flip case though.
- love samsung's splitscreen implementation. just more featured and easier to use than stock nougat. basically go back to their old splitscreen stuff, but now more apps work with it.
- screen is the sex, but the curve sides catch overhead lights easily and gets all defused and is a bit annoying. Still not sold on the edge stuff. the edge panel is useless and turned it off.
- always on display is neat but its not for me.


So good to get back to a decent size phone again. didn't realize i missed it after using a pixel for a few months.
Quasar
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:44 AM)
Quasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by newdayrocks

Nice. Google Play Music is the GOAT.

Yeah. Really is the only service that's useable for me. Though there's places where it could learn a bit.

I don't really have the library that I'd need to upload 100k tracks.Hell...I think my library has like 12k tracks and thats with me uploading audiobooks.
Jazzy Network
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:27 AM)
Jazzy Network's Avatar
I actually really enjoy AOD. My G6 battery is still really good with it on despite being LCD. Not sure what kinda voodoo is going on.
vivftp
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:34 AM)
vivftp's Avatar

Originally Posted by kaiyo

Xperia xzs vs s8+ (sd835) speed test

https://youtu.be/0b6oxPeJas8

Wonder how fast the xz premium is with sd835 and ufs storage instead of emmc.

Love that Sony optimization. The XZ Premium shall be my next phone, just waiting on Canadian carrier availability info. I watched the video of the XZs vs. the iPhone 7 and the XZs held its own quite well there as well for web browsing and multi-tasking. Can't wait to see how much better the XZ Premium is.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:21 AM)
hmmm... I wouldn't call the s8 a slow phone but it does feel quite 'sluggish'. Even with package disabler and half animations, the responsiveness is definitely way behind even budget chipset stuff like moto g5 plus.

nav buttons have a split second delay, and doing the double recent button to switch back to an app is janky. notification section has huge frame drops for some reason lol.

it runs fine generally in apps though, but if need to swap between apps quickly, best wait for a oneplus 5 lol.
reKon
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

hmmm... I wouldn't call the s8 a slow phone but it does feel quite 'sluggish'. Even with package disabler and half animations, the responsiveness is definitely way behind even budget chipset stuff like moto g5 plus.

nav buttons have a split second delay, and doing the double recent button to switch back to an app is janky. notification section has huge frame drops for some reason lol.

it runs fine generally in apps though, but if need to swap between apps quickly, best wait for a oneplus 5 lol.

or get the exynos version.

Jerry continues to make good videos (Galaxy S8 teardown): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRmY-4HKVIk

The video stabilization part is cool
Last edited by reKon; 04-22-2017 at 06:53 AM.
BoboBrazil
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:18 AM)
BoboBrazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

hmmm... I wouldn't call the s8 a slow phone but it does feel quite 'sluggish'. Even with package disabler and half animations, the responsiveness is definitely way behind even budget chipset stuff like moto g5 plus.

nav buttons have a split second delay, and doing the double recent button to switch back to an app is janky. notification section has huge frame drops for some reason lol.

it runs fine generally in apps though, but if need to swap between apps quickly, best wait for a oneplus 5 lol.

Yep, noticed this with demo units. Never buy Samsung. Will get OnePlus 4/5 at launch. OnePlus 3T is buttery smooth for me, but can't stand the screen. It's horrible for text reading. LG G6 is tempting if I can get one under $500.
Bboy AJ
Banned
(04-22-2017, 07:29 AM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

hmmm... I wouldn't call the s8 a slow phone but it does feel quite 'sluggish'. Even with package disabler and half animations, the responsiveness is definitely way behind even budget chipset stuff like moto g5 plus.

nav buttons have a split second delay, and doing the double recent button to switch back to an app is janky. notification section has huge frame drops for some reason lol.

it runs fine generally in apps though, but if need to swap between apps quickly, best wait for a oneplus 5 lol.

That's surprising. It usually takes a few months for the lag to show up. Glad they're making progress in showing the true nature sooner rather than later.
WhiskerFrisker
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:31 AM)
WhiskerFrisker's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

Yep, noticed this with demo units. Never buy Samsung. Will get OnePlus 4/5 at launch. OnePlus 3T is buttery smooth for me, but can't stand the screen. It's horrible for text reading. LG G6 is tempting if I can get one under $500.

Do you have problems typing on the on-screen keyboard? I keep hitting b instead of space because it's to small for me. I have seen issues speed texting in my 6p.
BoboBrazil
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:33 AM)
BoboBrazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhiskerFrisker

Do you have problems typing on the on-screen keyboard? I keep hitting b instead of space because it's to small for me. I have seen issues speed texting in my 6p.

No, but I use google keyboard. I believe you can change the size of the keyboard in settings also.
No Love
Wrong wrong WRONG!!! Ignorance at its finest
(04-22-2017, 09:16 AM)
No Love's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

hmmm... I wouldn't call the s8 a slow phone but it does feel quite 'sluggish'. Even with package disabler and half animations, the responsiveness is definitely way behind even budget chipset stuff like moto g5 plus.

nav buttons have a split second delay, and doing the double recent button to switch back to an app is janky. notification section has huge frame drops for some reason lol.

it runs fine generally in apps though, but if need to swap between apps quickly, best wait for a oneplus 5 lol.

Can't say I agree with that, my S8+ has been butter smooth especially after Package Disabled Pro and tweaking some stuff. Perhaps you're running some apps that aren't playing nicely?

Just hoping it doesn't turn into a lagfest down the line.
Mindwipe
Member
(04-22-2017, 11:36 AM)
Mindwipe's Avatar
I'm not noticing any lag on my Exynos S8 at all. I'm not especially frame rate sensitive though.
mingoguaya
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:04 PM)
mingoguaya's Avatar
My S8+ is running buttery smooth with no sign of lag whatsoever.
Kensation
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:11 PM)
Kensation's Avatar
My S8+ is running even smoother after the update.
Jeffrey
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:41 PM)
Guess I'll dig around more. The only bg app im running atm is adguard.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive from going from pixel to this.
yagal
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:51 PM)
yagal's Avatar

Originally Posted by kaiyo

Xperia xzs vs s8+ (sd835) speed test

https://youtu.be/0b6oxPeJas8

Wonder how fast the xz premium is with sd835 and ufs storage instead of emmc.

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I said it earlier in the thread but notable bezels now look years old to me after seeing phones like the s8.

A lot of phone makers will take a L, that Sony Xperia XZs do look old


The "tactile delay" ( feedback?? latency?? Sorry I speak french ) on the S8 is 89 ms, this is double the GS7 edge and even the triple of the GS6 edge.


Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

I actually really enjoy AOD. My G6 battery is still really good with it on despite being LCD. Not sure what kinda voodoo is going on.

Will you recommend the G6?
ArchAngel
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:06 PM)
ArchAngel's Avatar
And so the yearly "my Galaxy S* has no lag and is so smoooooth" cycle begins :P Hope this time there is more to it.

This is the first year I'm curious of which way the next iPhone and Pixel are heading. S8/G6 route, the same old ones or something completely different.
I don't like edge displays so I hope there will be something for me this year.
Last edited by ArchAngel; 04-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.
IronRaven
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:28 PM)
IronRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArchAngel

And so the yearly "my Galaxy S* has no lag and is so smoooooth" cycle begins :P Hope this time there is more to it.

This is the first year I'm curious of which way the next iPhone and Pixel are heading. S8/G6 route, the same old ones or something completely different.
I don't like edge displays so I hope there will be something for me this year.

I'm looking forward to see what the next OnePlus phone has to offer.
RoKKeR
Member
(04-22-2017, 05:01 PM)
RoKKeR's Avatar
A pink vertical line of pixels has appeared on my S7 Edge. I've tried resetting the display with Red/Blue/Green screens in the *#0*# trick, but that has stopped working now to.

What gives?

Edit: And now it's gone.

Edit 2: And now it's back.

Halp.
Last edited by RoKKeR; 04-22-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Thread Tools