• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

wild wild rice
(04-21-2017, 05:12 PM)
Amebix rules.
DanDeschain
(04-21-2017, 05:50 PM)
For those on the east coast, Sumerlands and Eternal Champion are playing Johnny Brenda's in Philly on July 8th.
Brian_FETO
Banned
(04-21-2017, 06:28 PM)
I've actually been back to listening to Sumerlands recently. Wish more bands going for the "old school" thing would go for solo Ozzy style stuff rather than NWOBHM

Then again I'm sure if everyone was doing it I'd say the opposite, lol

"Boy it'd be cool if more bands used the HM-2 Swedish Death sound" "Hey this blend of hardcore and early 90's Euro death is cool" *two/three years later* "Oh...."
Zelenogorsk
Banned
(04-21-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Brian_FETO

"Boy it'd be cool if more bands used the HM-2 Swedish Death sound" "Hey this blend of hardcore and early 90's Euro death is cool" *two/three years later* "Oh...."

I feel like every time I try and listen to a new band doing the HM-2 thing I just turn it off after 15 minutes and go listen to Indecent and Obscene.

"SKINFATHERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! LARGER THAN LIES!!!!"
blahness
(04-21-2017, 07:00 PM)
Bolzer announced a US tour for late summer. Will definitely be at the Baltimore date.

Giant Robot
(04-21-2017, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Zelenogorsk

I feel like every time I try and listen to a new band doing the HM-2 thing I just turn it off after 15 minutes and go listen to Indecent and Obscene.

"SKINFATHERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! LARGER THAN LIES!!!!"

I like the way you death metal.
I'll never get tired of that Swedish buzzsaw Boss HM-2 tone though, so I welcome it.

Originally Posted by Hatefilled Vengeance

Black metal video game covers by The True Werwolf, for those who might not have heard them before:

"Chi No Namida" (Castlevania)

"0373" (Journey To Silius)

Warning: it's the dude from Satanic Warmaster, so keep that in mind depending on how you feel about listening to bands with NSBM leanings.

These covers are awesome, especially the Journey To Silius one.
Hesemonni
(04-21-2017, 08:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Hatefilled Vengeance

Black metal video game covers by The True Werwolf, for those who might not have heard them before:

"Chi No Namida" (Castlevania)

"0373" (Journey To Silius)

Warning: it's the dude from Satanic Warmaster, so keep that in mind depending on how you feel about listening to bands with NSBM leanings.

"What a horrible night to have a curse" :D

Thanks for posting. Cool cover!
Zelenogorsk
Banned
(04-21-2017, 08:17 PM)
Sad news out of the slam scene, Martin Funderud (vocalist of Kraanium) has passed away.
Martin's twin brother Mats (who plays guitar in Kraanium) has posted this picture to facebook:

I can't imagine what Mats is going through right now. To play in a band with your twin brother for sixteen years and then lose him at the young age of 38 must be devastating.

Kraanium were one of the bands that got me into slam and for that I'll always be thankful.

R.I.P. to both Martin Funderud and William Tolley.

I'll be blasting some sick slams in honor of both of them!
RDreamer
(04-22-2017, 02:23 AM)
I like the new Ghost Bath. It feels at least slightly further from their deafheaven sound on the first album. I still think I like their first album a bit better, but this is good. Their screams seem kind of unneeded in some of the songs though. Like they're just there to remind us this is some sort of black metal.
Conkersbadfurday
(04-22-2017, 02:32 AM)
New Alestorm song! It sounds like Alestorm but with more shouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_eVIZkjZE
KillerBEA
(04-22-2017, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Conkersbadfurday

New Alestorm song! It sounds like Alestorm but with more shouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_eVIZkjZE

Hell yeah!
Rest
Banned
(04-22-2017, 05:24 AM)
Enjoying the new Body Count album. As always, lyrics rubberband from ludicrously silly to pointedly serious. Overall I think Manslaughter was better, but this one is no slouch. Interestingly, Slayer songs are listenable when a band that doesn't suck plays them, so that's good to know.
KillerBEA
(04-22-2017, 06:11 AM)

Originally Posted by TheCthultist

Thank you for reminding me Lich King existed. Buying the new album right now!

Going to be seeing Sabaton on Friday down in NYC and the two bands that are opening for them are totally unknown to me. Anyone ever heard of Leaves Eyes and/or Battle Beast and if so can you suggest any of their stuff that I should listen to leading up to the show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zmdwd5K3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKYdrL-AAw
Regiruler
(04-22-2017, 07:52 AM)
Not a fan of the new Alestorm song.

Hopefully, some day Gloryhammer and Alestorm switch places. The former has a great future.
Icedburden
I'm a giant fucking idiot.
If I complain about this tag, tell me to grow up.
(04-22-2017, 08:21 PM)

Originally Posted by KillerBEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zmdwd5K3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKYdrL-AAw

Battle Beasts second album is fantastic. It's a shame they haven't been able to follow up.
Corpsepyre
(04-22-2017, 10:30 PM)
Cult Of Luna - YEARS IN A DAY (official teaser)

CULT OF LUNA - YEARS IN A DAY: ‘The Sweep’ & ‘Light Chaser’ (Official live video)

Cult of Luna's new live DVD, Years in a Day, has come out, and it's supposedly one incredible assault on the senses. If anyone here has seen them, you know what you're in for. A visual and auditory slap. Check this teaser video out along with the first track on the DVD. So fucking good! They have the most insane lighting.
Royal_Flush
(04-23-2017, 01:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Regiruler

Not a fan of the new Alestorm song.

Hopefully, some day Gloryhammer and Alestorm switch places. The former has a great future.

Funnily enough I never really was a fan of alestorm but the new song made me listen to some of their stuff again and I think it might actually be a ton of fun with a bit of alcohol...
MezzoForte
(04-23-2017, 02:12 AM)

just found out about this megaton.

The first three Malevolent Creation albums are getting reissued on multiple color LP and digipak CD formats. Official release date is May 26th. Black LP and CD editions already available for pre-order at High Roller Records (Germany).
friday
(04-23-2017, 02:53 AM)

Originally Posted by blahness

Bolzer announced a US tour for late summer. Will definitely be at the Baltimore date.

Never thought they would play in Atlanta. The venue is tiny as hell too. Gonna need to get tickets early for this one.
Dex815
(04-23-2017, 03:23 AM)
I just discovered Vampire through their latest album: With Primeval Force.

To me this album sounds like they threw some Teutonic trash metal into the usual Swedish death metal. Really nice. Does anyone have some other band/album suggestion for this kind of mix?
HiResDes
(04-23-2017, 03:44 AM)
Artificial Brain blew my fucking mind.
vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(04-24-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by HiResDes

Their new record is fucking awesome. I really liked the first one but this is just a huge leap forward.
Giant Robot
(04-24-2017, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by MezzoForte

The first three Malevolent Creation albums are getting reissued on multiple color LP and digipak CD formats. Official release date is May 26th. Black LP and CD editions already available for pre-order at High Roller Records (Germany).

This has been one of my top priorities for years. Never been able to find copies locally, nor am I going to pay inflated prices on Discogs or eBay. Fucking finally.
Dangerblade
(04-24-2017, 08:43 PM)
Any of you guys listened to Wear Your Wounds' debut album? It's really fucking good, but then I am a Jacob Bannon fanboy.
Wolfgunblood Garopa
(04-24-2017, 09:29 PM)
Found something good.

Argus Megere - VEII (avantgarde/symphonic/atmos BM, 2017, Romania)

https://loudragemusic.bandcamp.com/a...us-megere-veii

Really good ideas and arrangements, quality stuff.

https://youtu.be/FwlMbC0LrPM
Brian_FETO
Banned
(04-24-2017, 10:26 PM)
FIN - Arrows Of A Dying Age - this rules. Ultra rad black metal, riffs on riffs

In other news:

California Deathfest announced "Massacre X" at their first announcement. I looked them up and it appeared to be a spinoff of Massacre by Rick Rozz. Wasn't impressed by their last "reunion" run laced with Pantuuura so I didn't really care

Randomly search on facebook today and it's billed as "featuring Rick Rozz and Kam Lee"..........in the age of reunions people didn't think would happen, how is this not a bigger deal? Way more interested and might actually spring for CDF now
Giant Robot
(04-24-2017, 10:55 PM)

In other news:

California Deathfest announced "Massacre X" at their first announcement. I looked them up and it appeared to be a spinoff of Massacre by Rick Rozz. Wasn't impressed by their last "reunion" run laced with Pantuuura so I didn't really care

Randomly search on facebook today and it's billed as "featuring Rick Rozz and Kam Lee"..........in the age of reunions people didn't think would happen, how is this not a bigger deal? Way more interested and might actually spring for CDF now

Because I think people got tired of dive bombs and whammy bars in 1988.
Brian_FETO
Banned
(04-24-2017, 11:00 PM)
I mean Slayer's doing alright for themselves

From Beyond is real cool though :(
Giant Robot
(04-24-2017, 11:07 PM)

I mean Slayer's doing alright for themselves

From Beyond is real cool though :(

Every time From Beyond comes up, I feel compelled to post this:

Brian_FETO
Banned
(04-24-2017, 11:10 PM)
Ed Repka is the master of recycling

It's pretty hilarious, neo-thrash kids pay him to make album covers and he's been found reusing assets in several of them. Like reusing faces and shit. Lol

As far as Vio-Lence goes, I love them to death but From Beyond is better than Eternal Nightmare. Oppressing stomps both

This one springs to mind but there's surely more, also other assets reused in backgrounds and such. Looks like he used the same intestines for both of these as well
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(04-24-2017, 11:59 PM)
Mastodon next week, first general admission and second concert. Super excited.
Andrew Korenchkin
(04-25-2017, 06:12 AM)

Originally Posted by HiResDes

They sound pretty good. Tech Metal is always something to check out.

Originally Posted by Giant Robot

Every time From Beyond comes up, I feel compelled to post this:

YES.
KillerBEA
(04-25-2017, 07:14 AM)
New Iced Earth album coming out; Incorruptible. Out June 16th

Tankard
(04-25-2017, 07:22 AM)

They are still with the guy mimicking Barlow's voice?
KillerBEA
(04-25-2017, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Tankard

They are still with the guy mimicking Barlow's voice?

Stu Block?
Tankard
(04-25-2017, 02:53 PM)

Stu Block?

That's the one, and i see now that they are.
Doomshine
(04-25-2017, 03:25 PM)
Not like they have much of a choice.
e_i
(04-25-2017, 03:31 PM)
Mesarthim cranks out a 3 song EP.
Bitanator
(04-25-2017, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Killer Queen

Mastodon next week, first general admission and second concert. Super excited.

Killer, enjoy it
bebop242
(04-25-2017, 04:38 PM)
So I happened upon a used copy of Between the Buried and Me Colors live cd/dvd this past weekend and its kinda blowing me away. My only other experience was their newest album and I liked it but it never really hooked me. Been listening to some of their older stuff (via Spotify) as well and it seems pretty consistent. I have some catching up to do.

Debating about going to see Pallbearer, Inter Arma and Gatecreeper. It requires a 2 hour drive but thats not a deal breaker. I live in an area where I have to drive 2-4 hours for most any show I want to see. Opinions on if this will be a good show?
RDreamer
(04-25-2017, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by bebop242

So I happened upon a used copy of Between the Buried and Me Colors live cd/dvd this past weekend and its kinda blowing me away. My only other experience was their newest album and I liked it but it never really hooked me. Been listening to some of their older stuff (via Spotify) as well and it seems pretty consistent. I have some catching up to do.

Colors is pretty great, but yeah the new one, Coma Ecliptic wasn't quite as good as some previous releases I thought. Parallax II is my favorite hands down.
HammerOfThor
(04-25-2017, 05:12 PM)

Cool artwork
Wolfgunblood Garopa
(04-25-2017, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by e_i

Another winner. The first track goes from Moonsorrow V:Havitetty straight to synthwave.

And the early 90s hip hop beat on Presence... these guys
Ravager61
(04-25-2017, 09:07 PM)

Originally Posted by MezzoForte

I think those albums are great OSDM but I'd be more excited to buy them if the dudes in Malevolent Creation weren't noted racists.

Originally Posted by e_i

Craziest release they have done yet but I dig it. Love everything Mesarthim has put out so far.
parrotbeak
(04-25-2017, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by e_i

I like this one so will buy. For a while they were releasing so many of these EPs I got tired of them.
e_i
(04-26-2017, 01:32 AM)
Wow, Ghost Bath put out an album last week? *Goes to listen*
Zelenogorsk
Banned
(04-26-2017, 07:00 PM)
I didn't realize that new Disma EP came out on my birthday. Listening to it now and it's got me craving a second album. One of the sickest guitar tones I've ever heard!

Also blasting a bunch of Slugdge today.
Kaladin
Banned
(04-26-2017, 07:06 PM)
So what is the best metal so far this year?

I'm torn between Mastodon, Power Trip and Darkest Hour.
Zelenogorsk
Banned
(04-26-2017, 07:10 PM)
Best metal album of 2017 so far is the new Artificial Brain! Well maybe too early to tell but I'm caught up in that release week hype!