• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 05:02 AM)
Travel thread here.

Kudos to midramble for the title and hwalker84 for the first thread.
RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 05:03 AM)
Reserved
I'm an expert
Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
(08-29-2014, 05:05 AM)
Is it legal to use a cell phone on the train? Or illegal?
DTU
(08-29-2014, 05:06 AM)
To anyone thinking of visiting Japan: do it. It's so great. By far my favorite country that I've traveled to.
RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 05:11 AM)

Originally Posted by I'm an expert

Is it legal to use a cell phone on the train? Or illegal?

It's not illegal, people are on their phones texting and playing games all the time. It's just considered rude to actually talk on your phone while on the train.
hitsugi
(08-29-2014, 05:12 AM)
So happy to see this thread get made, although I'll miss the old one.
red13th
(08-29-2014, 05:14 AM)
So, we're moving to this one? Will sub then.
fna84
Is one day enough time to visit Hiroshima if i'm staying at a hotel in Tokyo?

I checked out the train schedules and they run from 5am until 6pm and it takes about five hours to reach Hiroshima.

So if I get there around 10am, do things until 4 or 5 pm, would that be enough time?
I'm an expert
Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How jyozu must my hashi be before I am no longer a gaijin?
red13th
(08-29-2014, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by fna84

I checked out the train schedules and they run from 5am until 6pm and it takes about five hours to reach Hiroshima.

So if I get there around 10am, do things until 4 or 5 pm, would that be enough time?

Not doable IMO since you definitely want to go to Miyajima! That plus Genbakudome take quite a bit of time.
aparisi2274
(08-29-2014, 05:32 AM)
I'll be in Tokyo from 9/15 - 9/22 for TGS and other things..

I plan on going to Tokyo DisneySea, because I was there about 10yrs ago, and it was the nicest Disney park I have ever seen.

I'd also like to try and hit up Mt. Fuji.... What's the best way to get there from Shibuya?

I may also try to hit up Kyoto, but I am not sure if I have time...
Gromph
This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
(08-29-2014, 05:56 AM)
Great OT!
Resilient
(08-29-2014, 06:03 AM)
Look forward to posting with you guys in here :) goodbye old thread :(

No. You lose 10 hours to commute alone. Do it from Osaka if you can stay in Osaka.
Kanyon
(08-29-2014, 06:04 AM)
Was in Tokyo for a week at the end of July, best experience I had... Fantastic food, people are so polite, the subway system is freaking amazing (cheap too) and Akihabara felt like I died and went to heaven.

I highly recommend going to Tokyo Skytree and the nearby Shrine, best of old and new Japan.
hwalker84
(08-29-2014, 06:12 AM)
I think I'm going back in March. Can't wait. Gotta start studying Japanese again.

Nice OT a slight bit salty until I saw the shout out :)
Zornica
Banned
(08-29-2014, 06:13 AM)
pretty sure I mentioned it in the other thread too, but just in case:

Originally Posted by RapidCancel

[...][*]Narita Express (NEX) - One of the best options, any foreign travelers will get a discount on their pass for purchasing the Suica & NEX combo.

The Suica & NEX combo has been discontinued many months ago. You can still get a discounted ticket (1500¥), but it's only one way and doesn't come with a Suica.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

btw: I finally got some time off and wanted to attend tgs for the first time. Are there any entrance fees? (or anything else I should know?)
aparisi2274
(08-29-2014, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Zornica

btw: I finally got some time off and wanted to attend tgs for the first time. Are there any entrance fees? (or anything else I should know?)

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2014/...or/ticket.html
ZackieChan
(08-29-2014, 06:16 AM)
Anywhere in Tokyo where I can get a short term room (2-3 months) for under $400 a month? Or something somewhat inexpensive?

Or are hostels my only chance?
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-29-2014, 06:18 AM)
Glorious OT. Glad to see my pics made the cut. That OT title too!
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(08-29-2014, 07:01 AM)
Still no JapanGAF OT . _ .
robox
(08-29-2014, 09:21 AM)

Originally Posted by aparisi2274

I'll be in Tokyo from 9/15 - 9/22 for TGS and other things..

I'd also like to try and hit up Mt. Fuji.... What's the best way to get there from Shibuya?

if you want to climb mt. fuji, then it's a little late for that. climbing season is july and august. and it's still winter-levels cold at the top. so you gotta pack accordingly.

if you just wanna take a closer look, then there are buses and trains that depart from Shinjuku station to the surrounding area. Fuji-Q highland amusement park may make a good trip out of it.
kudoboi
(08-29-2014, 09:29 AM)
the last time i visited tokyo was in 2004. amazing experience. it is still one of the best place ive visited overseas.. second being Sydney. i really hope to come back this year or the next year
MikeHattsu
(08-29-2014, 09:35 AM)

Originally Posted by hwalker84

I think I'm going back in March. Can't wait. Gotta start studying Japanese again.

Hehe. Everybody's going back again ;p

Originally Posted by ZackieChan

Anywhere in Tokyo where I can get a short term room (2-3 months) for under $400 a month? Or something somewhat inexpensive?

Or are hostels my only chance?

Check out Sakura house:
http://www.sakura-house.com

There's other share house providers as well, but I don't know much about them.

Originally Posted by ponpo

You should make one then! ;)
Lazlo
(08-29-2014, 09:36 AM)
The title got me ready to direct someone to the other thread, but it's good we have an actual OT now for Japan travel. I still have to edit the pictures I took last year...
Ayumi
Your Waifu is Shit
(08-29-2014, 09:37 AM)

Hmmmm... yeah, I thought that's what we were going to make since we already had one for travel?
MikeHattsu
(08-29-2014, 09:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Ayumi

Hmmmm... yeah, I thought that's what we were going to make since we already had one for travel?

Yeah, same here.
abunai
(08-29-2014, 09:52 AM)
Just got home from studying in Japan over the summer. Uploaded my favourite pictures here.
maomaoIYP
(08-29-2014, 09:56 AM)
Was there in April to see the sakura. Going to Hokkaido in Feb to see the winter festival.
scarlet
(08-29-2014, 10:03 AM)

Originally Posted by maomaoIYP

Was there in April to see the sakura. Going to Hokkaido in Feb to see the winter festival.

I'm going there too next year for the snow fest!
RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 02:45 PM)

Originally Posted by MikeHattsu

Yeah, same here.

My bad guys...I thought this was what you meant since we never had an official traveling one. I thought there was already one for people living there.
RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 02:48 PM)

pretty sure I mentioned it in the other thread too, but just in case:

The Suica & NEX combo has been discontinued many months ago. You can still get a discounted ticket (1500¥), but it's only one way and doesn't come with a Suica.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

Thanks, I forgot about that. I'll update it tonight.
KiraFA37
(08-29-2014, 02:48 PM)
Couldn't you guys just have slapped OT on the previous thread?
I'm an expert
(08-29-2014, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by RapidCancel

My bad guys...I thought this was what you meant since we never had an official traveling one. I thought there was already one for people living there.

There is. debito.org
red13th
(08-29-2014, 03:00 PM)
Also the NEX discount is only from Narita to Tokyo, going to Narita is 3000 something yen.
The site has an updated timetable that was very useful since we were staying in Shibuya and not every NEX stops in Shibuya station.
supergiz
(08-29-2014, 03:05 PM)
I just came by to say I actually tried to take cab back from Narita airport once to Tokyo. (i was drunk btw). Worst decision ever my wallet still cries.
Fattony12000
(08-29-2014, 03:09 PM)

Should I take a cab from Narita airport?

Er, no.

Oh, and here's a thing about how I got to Japan (don't be afraid to click the image, it's really a YouTube link!):

MikeHattsu
(08-29-2014, 03:15 PM)

Originally Posted by red_13th

Also the NEX discount is only from Narita to Tokyo, going to Narita is 3000 something yen.

Yeah. I've used the Keisei main line from Nippori both times I went back to Narita from Tokyo. Cost a little over 1000 JPY.
scarlet
(08-29-2014, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by supergiz

I just came by to say I actually tried to take cab back from Narita airport once to Tokyo. (i was drunk btw). Worst decision ever my wallet still cries.

How much?
RapidCancel
(08-29-2014, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by supergiz

Lol...how much did that end up costing you?
Alpha_eX
(08-29-2014, 03:32 PM)
Make sure Gogyo Burnt Ramen gets a spot in this thread,
http://www.ramendining-gogyo.com/

Delicious.
Blablurn
(08-29-2014, 03:38 PM)
I remember my first trip in 2011. It was perfect. I wanna go back at some point.
scarlet
(08-29-2014, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Alpha_eX

Make sure Gogyo Burnt Ramen gets a spot in this thread,
http://www.ramendining-gogyo.com/

Delicious.

Yup, can't get enough of it, and if you have time, try the Kyoto one.
Kyoto branch >>>>> Tokyo branch
JulianImp
(08-29-2014, 04:06 PM)

If the GAF Meet-up ends up happening after Sept 8th, I could give you a free entrance ticket or two if you want since I got a few of those for being a TGS exhibitor.

Also, should we make a new thread for the meet-up with Evilore, or can we use this one to make the arrangements? I will be arriving on Sept 8th, and will be available on both weekdays and weekends until Oct 8th, except during the TGS (from the 17th until the 21st of September).
Ayumi
Your Waifu is Shit
(08-29-2014, 04:09 PM)
Just change the OP into a general Japan OT? Since we already have one for travel.
MikeHattsu
(08-29-2014, 04:11 PM)

Just change the OP into a general Japan OT? Since we already have one for travel.

Need to get a mod to fix the title though.
Resilient
(08-29-2014, 04:14 PM)

Originally Posted by scarlet

Yup, can't get enough of it, and if you have time, try the Kyoto one.
Kyoto branch >>>>> Tokyo branch

Why is this
scarlet
(08-29-2014, 04:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Resilient

Why is this

Taste
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(08-29-2014, 04:18 PM)

We stayed in a hotel near Miyajima and bought a combo ticket that was shinkansen + hotel for a reasonable price (ymmv). Also means only 3 hours on the train each way rather than 5.

We arrived in Hiroshima around lunchtime, then headed down to Miyajima in the evening (after okonamiyaki in Hiroshima) and stayed in a hotel right next to the ferry. Next morning nice and early on the ferry, across to the island - did the shrine area and up the cable car, then back across on the Ferry, up to Hiroshima station and back to Tokyo. The miyajima bit took pretty much a whole day including getting back to Tokyo, but we were with our kids so didn't arrive back late.

If you were willing to get to Hiroshima really early, and get back to Tokyo really late, then it might be possible in one day but you'd be rushing around which is kind of opposite to what you want for that area IMO.
Desmond
(08-29-2014, 04:31 PM)
Anyone else here hate Okonomiyaki?
BronsonLee
Banned
(08-29-2014, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Desmond

Anyone else here hate Okonomiyaki?

Yo that shit was delicious. I only had it once though. Was very surprised at how much I liked it.