• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
yeah, starting to think you are just trolling.
if you had a ps2 then you know who Sweetooth is

The Chimera are from the ps3's greatest fps and Insomniacs second greates game they made

I don't even remember the She-Kratos name so I get what you are saying there. But her moves would make for an excellent character

don't diss the Hellghast, unless you are speaking of the crap that was kz3

Cole is just as recognizable as Drake at this point so he good to go as well.

These all make for excellent fighters
this game is about fan service after all, its the whole point of the game, isn't it?

I knew who Sweet Tooth was back on the PS1, but that franchise has never been very popular at all outside the US. As for the Helghan and Chimera, Sony fans would know them, sure (although I honestly couldn't remember the names of the Resistance aliens). Yeah, it's supposed to be fan service, but if all they do is peddle to people who already know these B-tier fame characters, they're not really gonna pull in any new customers besides those who would buy it anyway. I mean, I'm looking forward to the game, as I can't wait to have Kratos smack Parappa in the face, but Sony just doesn't have the same stable of instantly recognizable characters as Nintendo.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I think his point is, outside of like Sony's crowd, the average consumer would have no idea who most of these characters are.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Even my mum would know who Mario is, but she wouldn't have the slightest idea who the Hell Drake, Cole or Space Nazi #34 are.

You are seriously dismissing Drake and Cole?

Drake is the star of Sony's breakout hit title of the generation, an audiovisual and gameplay showcase that was widely praised across the industry.

Cole is the star of a few superhero open-world games that some people kinda liked.

Not quite the same!

Can you be a serial killer and a mass murderer at the same time?

Yes, but not for the same murders.

Playstation Brawlers sounds good to me. Let me brainstorm some right now:

1) Sony Smashers
2) Sony Slugfest
3) Playstation Pummel
4) Playstation Bar-fight
5) Sony Stompers

What do you guys think?

Hellghast

Nobody gives a shit about the Chimera or Helghast, seriously.

If a game like this is happening I would absolutely prefer to see Sony mix their better characters from current franchises (Kratos, Drake, Sackboy) with some of their back catalog stuff (Parappa, Jak, etc.) rather than try to dredge up the shittiest D-list PS3-only characters.

Penguin

How is that different from Super Smash Bros?

The difference was.. is.. whatever

Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and even Link were kind of household names. So not all of the characters were mainstream, but if you're telling me that ANY Sony character has the recognition of those handfuls at this point in time?

Combichristoffersen

If a game like this is happening I would absolutely prefer to see Sony mix their better characters from current franchises (Kratos, Drake, Sackboy) with some of their back catalog stuff (Parappa, Jak, etc.) rather than try to dredge up the shittiest D-list PS3-only characters.

Oh man, reminded me of that rumour about the game having a Lair stage. I guess they could include Ivan's mech from Krazy Ivan if they really want to dig into their archive of completely forgotten and irrelevant characters from shitty games.

playable wipeout ship please

And Nissan Skyline!

Kratos versus Sackboy fight could headline any PPV!

(I'm actually looking forward to fighting as Radec.....he is immortalized in Sony folklore as the f****g c*** nobody could beat!

Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and even Link were kind of household names. So not all of the characters were mainstream, but if you're telling me that ANY Sony character has the recognition of those handfuls at this point in time?

My point is the majority of the characters in Super Smash Bros are not household names.

Only a few truly stand out.

And I'm not claiming that Sony has characters that have the same sort of recognition as Mario, what, with its 30 year IP history and basically what's defined Nintendo for all these years, but they do have some fairly mainstream characters. God of War and the Uncharted series are bigger sellers in the US and probably globally compared to Zelda, for instance.

All I'm saying is that they just need to have a core base of a few recognizable characters surrounded by some of their lesser known IP's in order for this to work. And actually, the fun of Super Smash Bros is that it's not just about Mario. It's also about these lesser Nintendo franchises that somehow got unrecognized over the years and have had a chance to come back.

Combichristoffersen

My point is the majority of the characters in Super Smash Bros are not household names.

Only a few truly stand out.

And I'm not claiming that Sony has characters that have the same sort of recognition as Mario, what, with its 30 year IP history and basically what's defined Nintendo for all these years, but they do have some fairly mainstream characters. God of War and the Uncharted series are bigger sellers in the US and probably globally compared to Zelda, for instance.

All I'm saying is that they just need to have a core base of a few recognizable characters surrounded by some of their lesser known IP's in order for this to work. And actually, the fun of Super Smash Bros is that it's not just about Mario. It's also about these lesser Nintendo franchises that somehow got unrecognized over the years and have had a chance to come back.

what

no

seriously

what

Acrylic7

I seriously don't give a crap about half the guys in Smash Bros. But they make excellent characters.

Dlist is better than nothing.
Game and Watch
Pkmn Trainer
Zero Suit Samus
Robot or Rob, cant remember.

have no idea where these weirdos came from, but they worked out well.
you telling me you don't want to here a chirp after you kill someone with the hellghast? the Chirp would make my day.

KevinCow

Banned
There's Sackboy, Kratos, Ratchet/Clank, Sly and Jak/Daxter. But the rest? Angry clown from a series no one outside the US has ever given a shit about, alien from the Resistance series, protagonist from Heavenly Short, generic space nazi soldier, generic white male in his early 30s with buzzcut and lightning powers, and the serial killer from the Uncharted games. None of them really have much clout with people who aren't already Sony fans.

They don't all have to appeal to all players. That's the point of these crossover games. They have the potential to appeal to the guy who played God of War and Twisted Metal, the guy who played Jak and Ratchet and Sly, the guy who played Uncharted and inFamous, and the guy who played Killzone and Resistance, even if none of these guys ever touched any of the other games.

You might not care about a lot of these characters, but there are people who do. Maybe they don't have quite the widespread appeal of Nintendo's lineup, but that's kinda hard to beat. I'd argue that the group in that picture is a stronger and more relevant lineup than the Capcom lineup in MvC3, as a recent comparison.

If you ask me, take that group, add in Sir Daniel and Parappa to get some PS1 flavor in there, try to get Activision to let you use Crash and Spyro, and that's a pretty solid lineup. It's pretty varied and represents the Playstation brand well.

Combichristoffersen

I seriously don't give a crap about half the guys in Smash Bros. But they make excellent characters.

Game and Watch
Pkmn Trainer
Zero Suit Samus

have no idea where these weirdos came from
, but they worked out well.

I feel old now

Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 both outsold Skyward Sword in the US, at least for their first month NPDs.

Nintendo's first party games have long legs, so I'm fairly sure Skyward Sword will end up outselling both UC3 and GoW3 globally.

Raonak

Banned

I donno, they have pretty cool designs. But they would be bad to play as. since they're just guys with guns.

What would be a good idea would be to resistance and killzone levels.
the resistance 2 stage would be in san francisco where the invaison happens.

and for the kz2 stage-
they should recreate that level, where the nuke had blown up the city and theres ash just flying everywhere with a big mushroom cloud in the background.

the games have good designs. have awesome universes, but fail...really badly at storyline and characters.

EDIT: no fuck. Radec needs to be a character, he was awesome.

I knew who Sweet Tooth was back on the PS1, but that franchise has never been very popular at all outside the US. As for the Helghan and Chimera, Sony fans would know them, sure (although I honestly couldn't remember the names of the Resistance aliens). Yeah, it's supposed to be fan service, but if all they do is peddle to people who already know these B-tier fame characters, they're not really gonna pull in any new customers besides those who would buy it anyway. I mean, I'm looking forward to the game, as I can't wait to have Kratos smack Parappa in the face, but Sony just doesn't have the same stable of instantly recognizable characters as Nintendo.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Even my mum would know who Mario is, but she wouldn't have the slightest idea who the Hell Drake, Cole or Space Nazi #34 are.

The thing is, mums don't buy PS3 games. It's too late in the generation for that to change. Sony characters don't have the same level of resonance with the public as Nintendo characters, but who cares? I doubt they'd be banking on this as a system seller, and there are plenty of Sony fans who will eat it up. If they do it right, with the inclusion of some old characters, it might even tickle the nostalgia of people who look back on the PS1 fondly and get them on board.

Also, talking as an Australian, Twisted Metal definitely had recognition outside of America.

I feel old now

Nintendo's first party games have long legs, so I'm fairly sure Skyward Sword will end up outselling both UC3 and GoW3 globally.

I'm fairly certain it won't. Skyward Sword tanked pretty badly in the European and Japanese charts very soon after release.

My whole point was to say that characters like Kratos and Nathan Drake have now become quite popular, and up there with the likes of Link.

Mario007

Well first of all it will Sony's fans that will most likely buy this game.

Secondly Drake and Sackboy certainly have a great recognition in the general public.

Penguin

Game and Watch
Pkmn Trainer
Zero Suit Samus
Robot or Rob, cant remember.

have no idea where these weirdos came from, but they worked out well.
you telling me you don't want to here a chirp after you kill someone with the hellghast? the Chirp would make my day.
Did you really call the Pokemon Trainer D-List? I mean it is one of gaming's top brand. And you do control the original starters.

And even still, this is in the THIRD game where the brand has pretty much been established. So they are just doing fan service.

Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 both outsold Skyward Sword in the US, at least for their first month NPDs. And Skyward Sword's performance in the US was a lot better than it was abroad.

I could be mistaken but the sales of Uncharted 3 vs Skyward Sword in the States wasn't that big especially when you consider Zelda had a week of sales compared to an entire month of Uncharted 3.

Don't know God of War sales off-hand. But I do acknowledge its their biggest character driven brand.

Combichristoffersen

The thing is, mums don't buy PS3 games. It's too late in the generation for that to change. Sony characters don't have the same level of resonance with the public as Nintendo characters, but who cares? I doubt they'd be banking on this as a system seller, and there are plenty of Sony fans who will eat it up. If they do it right, with the inclusion of some old characters, it might even tickle the nostalgia of people who look back on the PS1 fondly and get them on board.

Also, talking as an Australian, Twisted Metal definitely had recognition outside of America.

Twisted Metal had recognition outside the US, yeah, but to the best of my knowledge it's never really been very popular in any non-US areas, even if the UK PlayStation rags loved harping on about how awesome the TM games were.

Anyway, what PS1 characters do they have that they could include? The only ones I can think of are Parappa and Sir Daniel Fortesque. They both had ports/remakes for the PSP, but neither of them have had a new game in 10+ years, so how relevant would they really be to gamers today?

My whole point was to say that characters like Kratos and Nathan Drake have now become quite popular, and up there with the likes of Link.

I think I'll just go to bed.

Playstation Brawlers sounds good to me. Let me brainstorm some right now:

1) Sony Smashers
2) Sony Slugfest
3) Playstation Pummel
4) Playstation Bar-fight
5) Sony Stompers

What do you guys think?
That's too creative sounding for the game. I think they'd like these better:

"Fight Game"
"Untitled Fighter"
"Working Title"
"Unnamed First Party Game"
"Playstation Fighting All-Stars Battle Championship Party Tournament"

playable wipeout ship please

it should be like shang tsung and be able to morph into various skyline variants.

I'd kind of like GT featured more...

2011_3_18_23_52_46.jpg

Mxrz

I came in expecting more "Sony characters aren't popular as Nintendo!" wanking, but its still sad to see. You guys really going to keep harping on that shit every time this game gets news? Is it causing you physical pain or something? I have to wonder if the eventual OT of the thread we be full of this as well.

Anyway. That name needs work. I'd like to see something simple. Maybe drop the All-stars bit.

Acrylic7

I donno, they have pretty cool designs. But they would be bad to play as. since they're just guys with guns.

said the same thing about Snake. But he works.
They do a lot more that just shoot.

as for levels, I seriously, seriously doubt they cant mess that up. Way to many good designs in their franchises to screw this up. then again, this is Sony
Did you really call the Pokemon Trainer D-List? I mean it is one of gaming's top brand. And you do control the original starters.

Pokemon trainer, not really. If it was Ash, then yes.
Pkmn trainer was a non talking, interactive being. Like Gorden in Half-Life.

KevinCow

Banned
On the Helghan and Chimera:

I wouldn't really consider Killzone and Resistance D-tier games. Resistance was a pretty big deal at the PS3's launch. Killzone 2 was a pretty big deal way back when, too. Neither series turned into the big Halo Call of Duty killers they wanted, but I think they're both important and relevant enough to justify representation. And the Helghan and Chimera are both far more iconic than any of the protagonists from those games.

Pkmn Trainer

have no idea where these weirdos came from

I think Pokemon Trainer might have come from Pokemon.

I mean that's just a guess.

He might be some weird obscure Mario character.

But judging by the way he has Pokemon in his name and throws Pokeballs which release Pokemon, I'm gonna say he probably came from Pokemon.

Playstation All Stars could also become a legit franchise that has a different genre every time.

Playstation All Stars: Kart Racing

Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale

Playstation All Stars: Sports Games

etc

Raonak

Banned
Snake
Stryker
Noel
What's her face from Persona

a character with guns can work in a fighting type environment

I think gun characters can work, but you can't have too much of them in one game.
Imagine a game with Nate, Helgast, Chimeras and Gabe Logan(SF).

would they really play much differently that each other?

Acrylic7

On the Helghan and Chimera:

I wouldn't really consider Killzone and Resistance D-tier games. Resistance was a pretty big deal at the PS3's launch. Killzone 2 was a pretty big deal way back when, too. Neither series turned into the big Halo Call of Duty killers they wanted, but I think they're both important and relevant enough to justify representation. And the Helghan and Chimera are both far more iconic than any of the protagonists from those games.

I think Pokemon Trainer might have come from Pokemon.

I mean that's just a guess.

He might be some weird obscure Mario character.

But judging by the way he has Pokemon in his name and throws Pokeballs which release Pokemon, I'm gonna say he probably came from Pokemon.

Pokemon trainer is from Red and Blue. hes definitely popular. But I don't really consider him a character. more of a avatar or something. Lifeless, if that makes any sense.

I'm fairly certain it won't. Skyward Sword tanked pretty badly in the European and Japanese charts very soon after release.

Twilight Princess outsold every game Sony's ever made that doesn't feature licensed cars.

KevinCow

Banned
I think gun characters can work, but you can't have too much of them in one game.
Imagine a game with Nate, Helgast, Chimeras and Gabe Logan(SF).

would they really play much differently that each other?

I think so.

Nate could mainly use a pistol and grenades.

Helghan could use heavier weapons like assault rifles and shotguns.

Chimera could use crazy Resistance weapons, like the one that shoots a tracker that all the bullets seek towards, or the one that puts up a shield and can shoot through walls.

Don't really know much about the Syphon Filter series, so I can't really comment on Gabe.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If you're going to compare the popularity of characters, it makes sense to talk in terms of series rather than a single game. The Zelda series is still a much bigger deal than Uncharted or God of War. You can't sensibly talk about UC and GOW series one moment and then a single Zelda game the next.

Combichristoffersen

Maybe they can include Advent Children Cloud too, and his special attack will be drowning his opponents in an ocean of tears

If you're going to compare the popularity of characters, it makes sense to talk in terms of series rather than a single game. The Zelda series is still a much bigger deal than Uncharted or God of War. You can't sensibly talk about UC and GOW series one moment and then a single Zelda game the next.
Skyward Sword outsold Uncharted GA and GOW Origins Collection pretty handily. I guess Zelda's regained it's crown, I mean now is now right?

When Link was put into SSB, Ocarina of Time had just come out. Get back to me an Uncharted or God of War game can net 8 million units.

So, at one time Zelda was 8 million units popular, and now it is 3.42 million units popular. Again, times change.

Crash Bandicoot at one time sold like 7 million units, but alas those days are long gone. The strength of a brand is only as good as its most current entry, not to say Zelda can't recover to what it once was.

Also, I wasn't trying to incite some pissing match, just making the claim that Sony has some core franchises that can stand on similar ground to the likes of Zelda w/r/t appeal and popularity.

Top Bottom