• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

Great OT! I've recently gotten into Podcasts myself, since I need something to listen to at work (and can't really stream music). I'll have to look into some of these suggestions, since I only have 3-4 podcasts right now and need more :p (that weird news story one seems neat). I'm guessing 10 podcasts per week (depending on how often they update) will fill my work time where I listen, after I catch up on old episodes.

Since I really need a list online of "my podcast status", I'll put it here:

Listening to:
Retronauts (I love old gaming history and stuff)
VGMpire (I also love game music, though I wish they'd talk a little less)
Stuff You Should Know (very interesting, random stuff)

Probably Going to Drop:
The USGamer Podcast (I don't find it all that interesting, and a lot of overlap with Retronauts in terms of hosts)

Dropped:
Axe of the Blood God (I... don't really like Kat Bailey as a host. Nothing against her, just don't like it.)

Going to Try:
Legacy Music Hour
Sowerby & Luff
Turbogame Podcast
Planet Money (NPR podcast about money/economics, seems neat)
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR Podcast which is a comedy trivia show? Dunno, worth a try)

I'd like to get a current events podcast in my rotation, but I'm not sure which one to try. I also want to work through the others first and see which ones I want to keep on my phone. :p
Hardcore History, Sawbones, Lore, and Criminal are my favorites right now, with Hardcore History being my favorite of those

Hardcore History has a cool set-up unlike other podcasts. Multi-part discussions on historical periods and they range from 1.5 to 4 hours long. More like audiobooks than podcasts and Dan is such a good storyteller, he brings the history to life. Only downside is that there's a few months between episodes but that's expected due to the depth and length of each episode

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
I can't recommend the superbestfriendcast more, it pretty much got me through my last few years of university ( I used to listen to the episodes on loop whilst revising) probably listened to each episodes 6-7 times and still laugh, it's primarily a gaming podcast and the guys are hilarious

podcast3.jpg

Going to Try:
Legacy Music Hour
Sowerby & Luff
Turbogame Podcast
Planet Money (NPR podcast about money/economics, seems neat)
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR Podcast which is a comedy trivia show? Dunno, worth a try)

Legacy Music Hour is awesome. I'd definitely recommend it. If you like it, check out Top Score as well - it's like LMH but it's run by a branch of NPR and centers more on the music/theory aspect of it. The host is great.
Turbo Game Club is a fun one. It's a game-of-the-month club podcast. It starts out rough, but really picks up. The Lion King, Earthbound, Beyond Good & Evil, and the Music ones are my favorite.

Fireblend

Banned
Purchased some Hardcore History podcasts. It says you can subscribe to listen to them through the Apple Podcast app
cyuKHy2.jpg

Am I able to do that with other podcast apps?

I'm not sure how the paid HH episodes work (I'm still working my way through the free episodes), but usually there's a premium RSS feed you can subscribe to by providing the URL along with your credentials on your app of preference. For example, I'm a premium Giant Bomb user, and their premium feed is:

https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

It should be similar for any paid podcast. But I really wonder how HH works considered you can buy individual episodes rather than a premium sub.... hmmm.

Great OT, I was just thinking about seeking some new podcasts to listen to to branch out of just listening to video game talk.

The Comedy Button - Great comedy podcast from Brian Altano, Scott Bromley, Anthony Gallegos, Ryan Scott, and Max Scoville. Just a group of guys talking about random things and has made me laugh more than just about anything.

The Geekbox - General nerdy podcast from Ryan Scott, Adam Fitch, Justin Haywald, Ryan Higgins, and Alice Liang. Video games, comics, movies, tv, and books. I like it because you get a lot of different voices on things because they all rarely play the same stuff.

Good Job Brain! - Pub quiz and trivia show. Four really smart members of Karen Chu, Colin Felton, Dana Nelson, and Chris Kohler. I've learned so much weird and useful stuff from this podcast.

I also like Podcast Beyond and Nintendo Voice Chat from IGN. I agree that their podcasts really stand out.

Giant Bomb and their premium podcasts are all really good. Alt+F1 for Formula 1 stuff is really good if you are new to the sport, Danswers is a pretty interesting look into problems and how to overcome them.

I've been listening to a lot of Cane & Rinse lately. They have pretty in-depth discussion of a single game per episode, going through its history and its relevance in modern gaming. Very thorough. Recorded by Brits, if accents affects you.

For movie discussion, I really dig The Dissolve's podcast. Featuring ex-AV-Clubbers, the show's often funny and insightful.

PS: I've already gotten out of my JRE phase. Loved it for a year or so, then got sick of it.

BokehKing

Banned
Frogpants Network, home of the morning stream, coverville, current geek, filmsack, the instance and other shows that swept the podcast awards in Vegas this year

It's a home for nerds and video game culture

http://frogpants.com/

blackflag

Subscribed:

My Favorites

The Black Guy Who Tips
Sword and Scale
Love + Radio
Strangers
Sex Nerd Sandra
Keith and the Girl
Giant Bomb
8-4 Play
Cagcast

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'll just plug these two excellent shows then:

Cognitive Dissonance - "It's skeptical, it's political and there is No welcome mat!"
News from the atheist and skeptical perspective. They bring critical thinking, skepticism, and irreverence to any topic that makes the news, makes it big, or makes them mad. Easily offended? You might want to skip this one.

The Thinking Atheist - "Assume nothing, question everything, open your eyes!"
"Seth Andrews, a former Christian broadcaster and believer for 30 years, ultimately escaped the bonds of superstitious thinking to embrace the more satisfying explanations that science provides. A professional video producer and host of one of the most popular atheist communities on the internet, Seth Andrews brings a polished format, a relaxed environment and a rage-free challenge to the religious beliefs that defined his youth.

I'll have to check these out. Early in my podcast days I tried listening to The Ardent Atheist and just found it to be the most abrasive thing ever.

ReAxion

Two more networks to add:

5by5.tv
Relay.fm

If you want more diversity that your average video game & nerd 'casts, hit up Rocket and Isometric on Relay.

I wish The Comedy Button didn't turn to shit. Most episodes before 100 are really good, but now they just yell and try to act as random as possible. They also act like they're higher than Holy. Scott in particular is unbearable.

Bread

Banned
no mention anywhere on the best podcast out there?

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music4/v4/14/2c/36/142c36eb-c780-9a1f-b86c-0f61a0fedb5e/cover326x326.jpeg[/MG]
[IMG]http://images1.laweekly.com/imager/sean-clements-left-and-hayes-davenport/u/original/4644584/law_people_hayes_davenport_sean_clements-1522-edit.jpg/IMG]

mm no points[/QUOTE]
snubbing HH deserves a big EHHHHH WRONG

maliedoo

WTF with Marc Maron
WTF with Marc Maron is a twice-weekly podcast hosted by standup comedian Marc Maron. The show launched in September 2009. The program primarily consists of interviews with comedians and comedy writers, as well as others in the entertainment and radio communities. The show is produced by Maron's former Air America co-worker Brendan McDonald.

LaNaranja

The Laser Time network of podcasts are all absolutely fantastic. They cover a wide variety of topics and are all incredibly entertaining and hilarious. The Laser Time network is almost entirely comprised of people who have been shit canned from Future Inc., whether that be GamesRadar, PTOM, or OXM. The actual Laser Time website also has tons of entertaining videos and articles such as this one of adult jokes in kids cartoons.

Laser Time

Genre: Pop Culture
Start from: Crime Time
Why start there?: It has everyone talking about the crimes they have committed in the past and it gives a good feel for their personalities while being throughly entertaining and hilarious. After that go ahead and listen to any episodes where the topic is of interest to you.
ITunes Synopsis:
Laser Time is a show featuring folks in the video games industry, although not necessarily about video games. It’s a hyper-silly, multimedia-infused look at film, TV, comics, music, pop culture, and nostalgia from the perspective of people who game for a living. Obviously, their opinions are their own and do not reflect that of their employers.

Cape Crisis

Genre: Comics
Start from: Episode 12
Why start there?: You can hear them at their most existed and relieve the first time you saw the Avengers. After that it is fine to just go ahead and jump to the most recent episodes.
iTunes Synopsis:
Cape Crisis is about comics. Love for comic books, nostalgia for our heroes, anger at crappy comic movies, and everything in between. We fashioned our undying love for sequential art into a white hot star of a podcast! Listen as we explore the latest news and most important topics in the world of comics, heroic and beyond.

Vidjagame Apocalypse

Genre: Video games
Start from: Most recent
Why start from there?: It is Mikel Reparaz back hosting a video game podcast after getting shit canned from GamesRadar! This is pretty much the return of TalkRadar and it is pretty damn great. And he is joined by the wonderful Anne Lewis, of former PlayStation Magazine fame and now working at the Ubisoft Blog.
iTunes Synopsis:
Videogame-industry veterans Mikel Reparaz and Anne Lewis rally their colleagues for weekly discussions about games, the industry, and the circus of egos and information that surrounds it all.

VGMpire

Genre: Video game music
Start from: Whichever one has a game you enjoy.
Why start from there?: Each episode deals with music from a different game. Pick the episode that focuses on a game you like and enjoy!
iTunes Synopsis:
Join us each week as we celebrate the auditory glory that is video game music. From 8-bit to modern, we love it all.

Cheap Popcast

Genre: Wrestling
Start from: Any
Why start from there?: It is about wrestling, so if that is your thing you will probably want to listen to all of them. Or if you think wrestling is a stupid waste of time like me you will still enjoy listening to these guys talk about the ridiculousness that is the past and present of wrestling.
iTunes Synopsis:
Bringing you the best of Pro Wrestling’s past and present comes Cheap Popcast! Join us as we share our favorite memories of the WWF and WCW’s 80s and 90s heydays, while also looking towards each month’s biggest WWE pay-per-view matches. Whether you’re a die-hard or lapsed fan, make sure to check out Cheap Popcast, a monthly wrasslin’ show from the pop-culture loving chatterboxes of the Laser Time Network.

For movies and fans of Jeff Cannata, take a look at the /FilmCast, very entertaining.

Edit:

Surprised that the TWiT network isn't listed in the OP. Maybe this should be added?
The Morning Stream is legitimately amazing.
It's like any morning zoo show but no terrible commercials and funny hosts. Love it.

The other podcast I would recommend is daily Tech News Show by Tom Merritt. Smart guy who recaps the tech news of today and does it awesomely.

gaiages

Banned
Hardcore History, Sawbones, Lore, and Criminal are my favorites right now, with Hardcore History being my favorite of those

Hardcore History has a cool set-up unlike other podcasts. Multi-part discussions on historical periods and they range from 1.5 to 4 hours long. More like audiobooks than podcasts and Dan is such a good storyteller, he brings the history to life. Only downside is that there's a few months between episodes but that's expected due to the depth and length of each episode

Hardcore History sounds super awesome! I'll have to check that one out for sure. Thanks! :D

Legacy Music Hour is awesome. I'd definitely recommend it. If you like it, check out Top Score as well - it's like LMH but it's run by a branch of NPR and centers more on the music/theory aspect of it. The host is great.
Turbo Game Club is a fun one. It's a game-of-the-month club podcast. It starts out rough, but really picks up. The Lion King, Earthbound, Beyond Good & Evil, and the Music ones are my favorite.

Hmm, Top Score sounds pretty neat, onto the list it goes. I think NPR is going to dominate my podcast list, haha! And I'll make sure to start with some of the later episodes of Turbo Game to get the better side of it :3

neshcom

Banned
I help out with DiamondClub.tv, an association of live streamed, independent podcasts. We're an open community with a live chat room and a hub of live channels and reruns.

Cordkillers (Tech, entertainment, news) - News and tech from the front lines of the cord-cutting revolution.

Weird Things (Science, news) - Exploring the intersection of science and fiction. Bigfoot may not be real, but he's awesome.

Daily Tech News Show (Tech, News) - Every day, Tom Merritt and guests break down the most important tech news.

Night Attack (Comedy) - Set the world on fire every Tuesday night with a live comedy jam.

JuRY (Culture, commentary, interviews) - Justin Robert Young breaks down hot topics of the week in this one-mic show.

Gaming-
RebelFM
Gamers with Jobs
Polygon's Quality Control (blasphemy.. I know)

Music-
BOILER ROOM

Comedy-
The Poundcast
Duncan Trussel Family Hour (his episode where he goes to the zoo with TIm Heidecker is probably my favourite comedy podcast ever)

I help out with DiamondClub.tv, an association of independent podcasts.

Cordkillers (Tech, entertainment, news) - News and tech from the front lines of the cord-cutting revolution.

Weird Things (Science, news) - Exploring the intersection of science and fiction. Bigfoot may not be real, but he's awesome.

Daily Tech News Show (Tech, News) - Every day, Tom Merritt and guests break down the most important tech news.

Night Attack (Comedy) - Set the world on fire every Tuesday night with a live comedy jam.

JuRY (Culture, commentary, interviews) - Justin Robert Young breaks down hot topics of the week in this one-mic show.
Cordkillers is essential for anyone that cord cuts in the day and age. Keeps me up to date on the various things going on in the television industry.

Coolluck

How would you compare Brushwood here compared to when he appears on Rage Select? I saw a few episodes of his old show when a Spill personality would go on the show but it never really grabbed me beyond that.

The Laser Time network of podcasts are all absolutely fantastic. They cover a wide variety of topics and are all incredibly entertaining and hilarious. The Laser Time network is almost entirely comprised of people who have been shit canned from Future Inc., whether that be GamesRadar, PTOM, or OXM. The actual Laser Time website also has tons of entertaining videos and articles such as this one of adult jokes in kids cartoons.

Laser Time

Genre: Pop Culture
Start from: Crime Time
Why start there?: It has everyone talking about the crimes they have committed in the past and it gives a good feel for their personalities while being throughly entertaining and hilarious. After that go ahead and listen to any episodes where the topic is of interest to you.
ITunes Synopsis:

Cape Crisis

Genre: Comics
Start from: Episode 12
Why start there?: You can hear them at their most existed and relieve the first time you saw the Avengers. After that it is fine to just go ahead and jump to the most recent episodes.
iTunes Synopsis:

Vidjagame Apocalypse

Genre: Video games
Start from: Most recent
Why start from there?: It is Mikel Reparaz back hosting a video game podcast after getting shit canned from GamesRadar! This is pretty much the return of TalkRadar and it is pretty damn great. And he is joined by the wonderful Anne Lewis, of former PlayStation Magazine fame and now working at the Ubisoft Blog.
iTunes Synopsis:

VGMpire

Genre: Video game music
Start from: Whichever one has a game you enjoy.
Why start from there?: Each episode deals with music from a different game. Pick the episode that focuses on a game you like and enjoy!
iTunes Synopsis:

Cheap Popcast

Genre: Wrestling
Start from: Any
Why start from there?: It is about wrestling, so if that is your thing you will probably want to listen to all of them. Or if you think wrestling is a stupid waste of time like me you will still enjoy listening to these guys talk about the ridiculousness that is the past and present of wrestling.
iTunes Synopsis:

I forgot these among my favorites. Definitely double recommend this network. They are all great and have actually gotten me back in to comics just because I wanted to listen to their Cape Crisis podcast.

Just realized that the Radiolab episodes on iTunes only go back to Season 7. Is there any way to listen to the earlier seasons on mobile, through an app?

hom3land

Cordkillers is essential for anyone that cord cuts in the day and age. Keeps me up to date on the various things going on in the television industry.

Agreed. I wish there was another descent television industry podcast. Only other one I know of is IGN Channel Surfing and always amazed by its horrible production quality.

On my cell so no fancy thumbnail but I would add Planet Money to educational. Not into finance but they really do an amazing job on finding stories and explaining them.. ie last episode I listened to was on the chicken tax..how the US car manufacturers have a stranglehold on trucks sold in the US all because of the chicken tax.

Agreed. I wish there was another descent television industry podcast. Only other one I know of is IGN Channel Surfing and always amazed by its horrible production quality.

On my cell so no fancy thumbnail but I would add Planet Money to educational. Not into finance but they really do an amazing job on finding stories and explaining them.. ie last episode I listened to was on the chicken tax..how the US car manufacturers have a stranglehold on trucks sold in the US all because of the chicken tax.
I just want more recommendations of TV show podcasts. Spoilerin Time is pretty good but it's not enough.

Matty77

I listen to too many to list and quite a few have been mentioned so here are two I don't think have been.

Smodcast Network which is Kevin Smiths network, smodcast being his main pod that it's named after with him and Scott Mosier. And it has a variety of stuff and it not all Kevin. Stand out pods without Kevin are:

Tell 'em Steve Dave with Walter Flannagan and Bryan Johnoson of Comic Book Men and Brian "Q" Quinn of Impractical Jokers and the Tenderloins.

Fe+Ab which stands for four eyes and a beard which is Scott Mosier and Matt Mira.

On another note I also highly recommend The Horror Show with Brian Keene where he talks about his books, interviews other authors, discusses horror in general and is a great look at the genre and the industry of book horror from someone involved in it. It is part of the Project iRadio network, which also has the show Three Guys With Beards with, Christopher Golden, James A. Moore, and Jonathon Mayberry who are all Genre authors also, they do some good interviews but also a more pop culture look at stuff in nerd culture.

Fantomas

Thought of another one to mention quick since I don't think many people have heard it.

The Twilight Highlight Zone. A couple of Game Informer editors took it upon themselves to watch every episode of the original Twilight Zone series. They're about 30-40 minutes on average and they cover a handful of episodes in each one while also rating them. At the end of each season they held an awards episode where they would dole out stupid made-up awards for different episodes or characters.

I will admit though, it is kind of a pain to find all of their episodes since iTunes doesn't seem to have all of them on their page, though it could just be my inexperience with iTunes. You can definitely find them all for download still though on the GI website, this link to one of their last episodes includes links to every episode they did as well.

It's really a fun one to listen to. I've never watched the Twilight Zone, but I've listened to that whole podcast multiple times now and feel like I know all about that show.

Brakke

Banned
Excellent thread. Now maybe we don't have to have a "recommend me some podcasts" thread every week or so.

Good picks, too.

I listen to a ton of podcasts, mostly about food/cooking and video games. Will start with food ones since they're underrepresented and will try not to duplicate some of the podcasts other people have mentioned.

[

For other stuff (gaming and otherwise)

The Foul

Excellent thread, subbed.

I have three recommendations that I ctrl-F'd and couldn't see, they are:

Fantasy Fiction - The hosts write fantasy stories about themes submitted by users and then read it to each other. It's very NSFW, but super entertaining and always hilarious.

Goosebuds - The hosts read and review the goosebumps books in order. Only upto 7 (night of the living dummy) as I write this, but a fun trip down memory lane with charismatic hosts.

Also, Metal Injection Livecast is the best heavy metal podcast not about heavy metal. Very NSFW, Good fun.

Unfathomability

Neo Member
Most of my favorite podcasts come from either Nerdist, Infinite Guest, or All Things Comedy. Both Nerdist and ATC are sort of catch-all networks where one comedian just provides hosting and exposure to friends and colleagues. A whole lotta standups and entertainment-types. Infinite Guest is more high-brow, if feels like there is a definite point to all their stuff.

Some favorites (not mentioned by other posters):
The JV Club on Nerdist
jvclub.png

Remember what it was like to be an awkward teenager? And remember how some things haven’t really changed that much for you since then? Join proud dork Janet Varney as she explores the highs and lows of the bygone years with some of her favorite women as they talk their way through the terrible teens into adult-lescence. Warning: This Podcast Contains Sincerity.

Bizarre States on Nerdist
Bizarre-States-241x160.jpeg

Join Jessica Chobot and Andrew Bowser as they lift the veil and showcase the hauntings, urban myths, unsolved murders and general oddities that everyone has experienced but no one wants to talk about.

Reasonably Sound on Infinite Guest
iTunes-1400x1400_Reasonably-Sound-150x150.png

Do you enjoy sound? You’re reading a podcast description right now, so chances are good that you do. Mike Rugnetta does, too. And on Reasonably Sound, Mike will provide context, explanation and a little celebration of the complexities and awesomeness of audio, and the various cultures which surround and have grown around it. Not just for audiophiles, Reasonably Sound will be your guide to the world of sound.

You Must Remember This on Infinite Guest
iTunes-1400x1400_Must-Remember-150x150.png

You Must Remember This is a storytelling podcast exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century. It’s the brainchild and passion project of Karina Longworth (founder of Cinematical.com, former film critic for LA Weekly), who writes, narrates, records and edits each episode. It is a heavily-researched work of creative nonfiction: navigating through conflicting reports, mythology, and institutionalized spin, Karina tries to sort out what really happened behind the films, stars and scandals of the 20th century.

The Dork Forest on All Things Comedy
DorkForest_ATCcover-1.jpg

Jackie Kashian discusses favorite obsessions with the obsessed. Video games, Comic Books, Birdwatching. How deep in the dork forest are you? Celebrate it and f*&%$, make it your own!

What do people prefer: shorter (15-20 minutes) or longer (45 minutes, hour+) podcasts?

Personally I enjoy longer shows, like Hardcore History and Radiolab

Fireblend

Banned
What do people prefer: shorter (15-20 minutes or longer (45 minutes, hour+) podcasts?

I love my longer (1 hour+) shows like the Giant Bomb shows, This American Life, Radiolab, CBB, HH, etc, but I'm way more likely to give a show I haven't heard before a shot the shorter it is. Longer shows seem like such a huge investment, specially considering I already listen to a ton of them, and shorter shows are usually pretty focused and refreshing in some way.

You Must Remember This on Infinite Guest
iTunes-1400x1400_Must-Remember-150x150.png

You Must Remember This is a storytelling podcast exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century. It’s the brainchild and passion project of Karina Longworth (founder of Cinematical.com, former film critic for LA Weekly), who writes, narrates, records and edits each episode. It is a heavily-researched work of creative nonfiction: navigating through conflicting reports, mythology, and institutionalized spin, Karina tries to sort out what really happened behind the films, stars and scandals of the 20th century.
Sounds fascinating. Definitely going to check this one out

Ratrat

Cool thread. I'll definitely check some of these out.

some podcasts I listen to:

History Extra
British History Podcast
Geeks Guide to the Galaxy

Fantomas

What do people prefer: shorter (15-20 minutes) or longer (45 minutes, hour+) podcasts?

I guess it depends.

The Bombcast is always better the longer it is for some reason, probably because of the funny tangents those guys can go on.

Usually I'm glad with a 40min-1hr podcast for everything else though. I can understand why some keep it to less than 30min though since there just isn't enough to talk about for some of the more niche podcasts that stay focused on one thing in particular.

Top Bottom