• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space |Intel Thread| 4X Space Strategy by ex-Ubi/EA devs

sTeLioSco

Banned
Since the patch is 915.3mb, are there any patch notes?

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS

Changed the save file system. The previous files are not compatible.
Added the custom faction screen.
Added a free camera mode in the battle view.
- Arrow keys: move the view
- Mouse wheel: changes the camera field of view (angle)
- Mouse right click + pan: rotates the camera view
- Ctrl: sticks / unsticks the camera on your fleet
You can continue to play after a victory condition is achieved.
Added a state to the player, to know if he's in a battle or not.
Added an animatic for each faction, which will be displayed for a new game.
Added narrative & random events illustrations.
Changed the illustration for the selection of "Random Faction".
Changed the Pirates 3D fleet icon.
Added several outgame scenes, which will be displayed randomly.
All technologies have a dedicated icon.
Added 5 new music.
Added new GUI sounds.
Added an ES soundtrack directory (in the Steam install directory of Endless Space on your computer).
Added the ES credits.
Texture, video, memory & AI optimization.
Added one new difficulty mode - Endless.
Food consumption by population will vary with game speed.
Heroes will not be injured when retreating. Changed the 'Death before dishonor' faction trait.
Ship levels increase HP, DamageMin, DamageMax, InterceptionAccuracy, DeflectionPerTurn and Absorption.
Changed the ship leveling, which now requires more XP (6 to 45 -> 4 to 100)
Decreased the defense mods' cost (3 to 75 -> 2 to 58).
Decreased the defense mods' weight (7 to 20 -> 5 to 16).
Antimissile and Shield mods are now more powerful than their Weapon counterpart.
Deflectors bonuses were only slightly increased.
Halved Defense MP (8 to 210 -> 4 to 125) but not their efficiency in general.
Defense MP is less effective during invasions than weapons.
Added an extra bonus on the armor mods (25 to 304 -> 25 to 220+12%).
Modified the Bluecap mold monopoly bonus (Dust -> Approval).
Reduced the difficulty of diplomatic victory ( 1000 + 10*(players)*(planets) -> 2000 + 15*(players)*(planets) ).
Decreases the malus of the random event "SUPERNOVA DISRUPTS NAVIGATION MAPS" (-80% -> -30%)
When playing sower, the player knows the actual FIDS of a planet before colonizing it.
Decreased the Alliance bonus multiplier (Alliance : * 2 -> Alliance : * 1,6).

FIXES

IMPORTANT FIXES

Fixed an issue where the leech hero ability will not stop upon conquering the star system.
Fixed an issue where an assert is received when a system is conquered by the AI and the user is in System view on the same system.
[MP] Fixed an issue where assert is received when joining an in-progress session.
[MP] Fixed an issue where opening the war notification as host will cause an assert.
Fixed an issue where pressing ESC after quitting a game will cause an assert.
Fixed an issue where the game crashes 100% after loading a specific save game.
Fixed an issue where loading a saved game from another Steam account causes an assert.

OTHER FIXES

Fixed several text issues.
Fixed several localized text issues.
Fixed an issue where the browsing arrows become unresponsive in planet view in a 2 planet system.
Fixed an issue where the moon orbiting a planet will not adjust size properly in planet view.
Fixed an issue where the heal button is not functional on the Assign to system screen.
Fixed an issue where a graphical corruption can be seen when entering the star system.
Fixed an issue where the Permanent Perennials star system improvement is not working.
Fixed an issue where the resolution will not change to 1600x900 when in windowed mode.
Fixed an issue where the user will have the buyout option active for a ship that cannot be completed normally (strategic prerequisite or obsolete ship design).
Fixed an issue where the amount of military power is displayed using decimals on the battle report.
[MP] Fixed an issue where ships are displayed as being in hangar on other player`s system.
Fixed an issue where the name of the empire is not replaced in the current deals with <empire> button.
Fixed an issue where cease fire are not spread to allies.
Fixed an issue where the initial starting population decreases right after the first turn at slow game speed.
Fixed an issue where disband/create fleet does not refresh movement points.
Fixed an issue where the race names are seen in the language of the other player.
Fixed an issue where the Hissho Affinity tool tip is not updated.
Fixed an issue where the United Empire Affinity tool tip is not updated.
Fixed an issue where the "Industry to Science" conversion tool tip is not updated.
Fixed an issue where the user is able to select guard action on an enemy`s fleet.
Fixed an issue where technologies do not affect the deal approval.
Fixed an issue where actual faction names were not updated in the Diplomatic Negotiations Screen when choosing random factions.

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?446-Release-Notes

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone keeping track of reviews/impressions by Gaffers here in this thread? Anyone who wrote a longer one?

Anyone keeping track of reviews/impressions by Gaffers here in this thread? Anyone who wrote a longer one?
I've played very little and will be playing some more tonight now that it's "out" (mostly I don't like having different computers playing the same race so I was waiting for some of those to be released, but that's just a personal preference thing, also helps me keep things more straight in game). I'll give some more impressions then. Some of my early ones, found in this thread were wrong, but some I'm curious to see if they changed.
Also interested! Please post impressions guys... if this is basically Civ in space and more then I am sold.

It's not grid based so movement and positioning are fundamentally different. Last time I talk about it here for now lol but check out gal civ 2 in the summer sale for a more traditional "Civ in space" game.

Moobabe

I'm waiting for Pylon's impressions - I know he loves it; but I'd like to hear why. This game is so beyond me but I'm still enjoying it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's not grid based so movement and positioning are fundamentally different. Last time I talk about it here for now lol but check out gal civ 2 in the summer sale for a more traditional "Civ in space" game.

No doubt about it. GET GALCIV2, GUYS!

But I'd still like to read a proper post trying to sell ES to me (including drawbacks of the game currently, etc. review-like)

injurai

Banned
This game looks really cool, how to you guys recommended, and how does it compare to Sins? I am contemplating getting one of the two games.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I may or may not be buying this, and it all depends on the impressions fellow GAF'ers post here. So come on guys, post those impressions! With screenshots too!

Of course I'll also be reading reviews and such. Game looks very promising to me.

Harlock

Legend of Galactic Heroes game!

masaattacking.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Considering buying this game blind just because I feel spacey lately.

Are we talking strategy like Civ, Eve, or something closer to SimCity (SimSpace?) game?

Bought it too, never tried this genre before, and of course I failed myself: I am bored to death. There is like.. not even an obvious goal to reach or anything...

Until now, I just click through my turns developing the whole development tree, because I can't colonize any Starsystems apart from my own.

Can someone please explain this game to me?

Toma

Bought it too, never tried this genre before, and of course I failed myself: I am bored to death. There is like.. not even an obvious goal to reach or anything...

Until now, I just click through my turns developing the whole development tree, because I can't colonize any Starsystems apart from my own.

Can someone please explain this game to me?

Cant answer your question, just curious: Played any other strategy games? Civ, Sins.. How does it compare for you initially?

Cant answer your question, just curious: Played any other strategy games? Civ, Sins.. How does it compare for you initially?

Haven't played Turn-Based Strategy since Panzer General.

Was interested in Sins, because I wanted to try this space genre for a long time, but then I read about Endless Space today, and the good stuff people write, and so I bought ES instead.

I am a big fan of the Anno series, but this is of course nothing like it.

epmode

You need to research the appropriate improvement to be able to colonize different planet types. And just to head off future confusion: If you'd like to colonize a planet in a system you already control, you don't need to build a colony ship.

I guess you haven't played a Master of Orion game before? Endless Space is very similar to those.

Purkake4

Banned
This doesn't really seem like a game you can judge in a "soon" amount of time.
Played a few games with all the races. It got really repetitive, and I felt that it lacked the strategic depth that Sins offers, especially in the combat part with the three weapon types and three counters. The cards don't do enough to make it interesting. I do like the planet development stuff though.

I guess you haven't played a Master of Orion game before? Endless Space is very similar to those.

Nope.

Colonizing all the planets in my start system was easy. But I can't colonize planets in any other system because I don't "control this system (yet)". How do I control systems?

epmode

Played a few games with all the races. It got really repetitive, and I felt that it lacked the strategic depth that Sins offers, especially in the combat part with the three weapon types and three counters. The cards don't do enough to make it interesting. I do like the planet development stuff though.

Sins is basically a stripped-down 4x game so it's a little strange to hear that this game doesn't have the depth. I mean, you're right that the combat doesn't compare but that's because this game is more focused on empire building than constant war. For better or worse, the individual battles are designed to be over quickly.

Colonizing all the planets in my start system was easy. But I can't colonize planets in any other system because I don't "control this system (yet)". How do I control systems?

I believe this is just a misleading message. You have to colonize the system from the main map screen. Choose the colony ship while it is in orbit and the option should be available.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So is this pretty much a well made Sword of the Stars 2? I actually liked that game quite a bit but it was simply so unpolished and unruly in many aspects that it eventually became a chore to play as your empire expanded.

Sins is basically a stripped-down 4x game so it's a little strange to hear that this game doesn't have the depth. I mean, you're right that the combat doesn't compare but that's because this game is more focused on empire building than constant war.

It's the space theme that is throwing people off. If anything the combat should be compared to Civ.

Civ has more tactical movement and placement of units, while this game seems to have more individual unit customization and rock/paper/scissors combat commands. Still way too early to judge though one way or the other which is best.

How close is it to Master Of Orion?

Pretty much the game we should have gotten instead of MoO3. It's very much the spiritual successor, amongst other things.

EDIT: And might I just say, I'm always personally somewhat baffled at how people always seem to bring Sins into discussion in comparison to a turn-based title such as ES or GalCiv. Maybe I'm not flexible enough, but despite the glacial pace and development aspects, it always feels like trying to compare Homeworld to Space Empires or something.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I decided to give this a quick whirl today... 6 freaking hours later and I'm in love. This is absolutely what a modern MoO should play like, brilliant.

Nope.

Im pretty sure the tutorial explains everything.
But you can make seed ships(or whatever the faction name is for those ships).

But i would suggest to just read the tutorial screens it explains almost everything the rest is trial and error which like 90% of the fun for me.

chiablo

Comparing Endless Space to Sins of a Solar Empire is like comparing Age of Empires to Civilization. They are both space games, but ES is turn based and focuses on empire building and management where Sins is real-time and is more fleet based.

Endless Space is a great game, but my biggest complaint is with the ship combat. I like how it has a rock/paper/scissors system in place, but after about the 10th combat I just push the "Auto" button because the manual combat takes way too long. It seems like the only useful time to do manual combat is when a colony ship took the wrong route and you have to retreat.

Carcetti

I wish the governor AI was more consistent. On 2 different games, I used same race (Sowers) to quickly expand and dominate, while had all my planets on 'balanced'. In one game I had tons of dust and in one I got totally bankrupted out of the blue with no idea why. I hate planet micro so it annoys me that I have to start doing it again.

I wish the governor AI was more consistent. On 2 different games, I used same race (Sowers) to quickly expand and dominate, while had all my planets on 'balanced'. In one game I had tons of dust and in one I got totally bankrupted out of the blue with no idea why. I hate planet micro so it annoys me that I have to start doing it again.

Well, what kind of planets did you colonize during the second game? What were your trade techs? Your fleet upkeep? I think there are probably a lot of variables that are out of the realm of governor AI.

Check the Empire management screen to see where all your costs are going.

This looks pretty cool, couple of quick questions:

- does the demo require internet connectivity to install?
- does this play anything like ascendancy? Screenshots instantly reminded me of it, and that's one of my favourite games ever.

Oh, that's the full game people are talking about? The OP says "alpha state as of march 2012". So it went from alpha to done in four months?

LilZippa

How moo2 like is this game? I have been waiting for a game to replace my moo2 habit, but have been disappointed in everything I've tried.

EDIT:For some reason I didn't look twice at this game thinking it was a ftp online game weird.

Top Bottom