• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

):
I tried making a German account and using a spare one month I had to get both pieces of the pie. It didn't work sadly. You need a German account and xbox.

Xbox One
Me - Zero

Lurkee

Neo Member
So, you know what sucks?

I live in Brazil and I bought an XBox back when there wasn't a Live Service in Brazil, before the console was officially available here. I had to, obviously, make an American Live Account - which I would do anyway, because fuck the local store and prices.

Anyway, we all know what happens when that scenario is in place: Digitally Distributed content have "IP range whitelists" for countries that can download it, and if you don't fall in one of those, you can't download (or even buy) the content.

For instance: Gears of War is blocked in Germany, so only countries whose IP Ranges were listed in the White List could download that game. Since Brazil wasn't a country that had the service, IPs from Brazil couldn't download Gears of War DLC, even though you had an American XBLive account.

That was "easily" fixed by using a VPN to Start and then Finish the download. You could hop on a VPN, Start the download, hop out of the VPN (and lose Internet access in the meantime), download 79% of the game, disconnect the the Ethernet cable from the xbox, hop back on the VPN and download the last 1% (because apparently the last 20% are just server checks), which would make it easy to use free VPN servers to bypass this stupid restriction.

Anyway, I still have my US Live account, it's still gold and I'm still living in Brazil, and I'm finding that most (if not all) "Free with Gold" games are "Region Locked". In other words, I can't even "purchase" the free games with a Brazilian IP, neither on the WebStore nor on the console itself.

Sure, I can hop back on that VPN and "purchase" the game there, but I didn't manage to do the "start, disable VPN, download, enable VPN, confirm the download" trick with those Free games (I only tried with Fable 2 - not with Assassin's Creed 2).

I just tried to get Crackdown now and, again, "The purchase could not be finished at this time". Hopped on a US VPN and had no problem in "purchasing" Crackdown through the WebStore. I didn't try to download it yet, but I'm sure as hell that it'll corrupt the download if I try to finish it on a Brazilian IP address.

Region locking is such shit. I know that companies like to keep the revenue of a country in said country (sometimes to avoid taxation), but come the fuck on...

Can't you migrate regions? Or does Brazil not part of the Games with Gold promotion?

So, you know what sucks?

Region locking is such shit. I know that companies like to keep the revenue of a country in said country (sometimes to avoid taxation), but come the fuck on...

I feel your pain, I'm in China right now and I can't get the game. It's only some of the games that are restricted this way and as Crackdown has an 18 rating I can't get it.

TheOGB

Banned
So uh, Crackdown

I started up Keys to the City mode and blew shit up for about 3 hours, somehow stumbling upon and then decimating gang leaders.

Gameplay actually feels kinda janky. I think I was expecting more Hulk: UD/Prototype/inFAMOUS (tighter, heavier) with shooting, but it's good mindless fun, and it was free, so hey.

So, you know what sucks?

Since you have a US Gamertag, Can't you add the game to your account using Xbox.com? That way its at least showing on your account as purchased so you can go through and attempt to download it once you get time for the VPN Trick.

I wont lie though, it does suck.

Alx

So much for PS+ killer, MS.

Oh well, only played Crackdown at a friend's house so hopefully this and AC2 are fun for me.

Crackdown and AC2 are two of my favourites games on this generation...
I'm not sure Crackdown has aged well, the gameplay may be a little stiff now, but it was a lot of fun at the time, and I'm sure jumping from one building roof to another while shooting fools is still entertaining.
A big part of the fun was leveling up your character, too (especially hunting for agiility orbs). "Keys to the city" is nice for a quick fix, or once you're already maxed out, but I wouldn't overlook playing the regular game, starting as a rookie agent.

Omni

Okay, this is weird. In the past hour, I have downloaded 3GB but the progress bar has only gone up 10%... I don't even know what's going on. It's currently on 60%...

Is this is a glitch? I have limited bandwidth so can't waste too much more on it.

IISANDERII

Okay, this is weird. In the past hour, I have downloaded 3GB but the progress bar has only gone up 10%... I don't even know what's going on. It's currently on 60%...

Is this is a glitch? I have limited bandwidth so can't waste too much more on it.
Says I've only downloaded 10%. It's been over an hour.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can't you migrate regions? Or does Brazil not part of the Games with Gold promotion?
I could, but whatever purchase I made on the system is NOT migrated: I'll have access to it while it's on my XBox, but I can't download it again. Also, pretty much all games are delayed on my region, and some of them don't even come out. I'm not even sure if Brazil is part of the "Games with Gold" promotion. There's NO REASON to do a region transfer. And I'm pretty sure that, since those games are 18+, I won't have them available for me down here anyway, otherwise I believe I wouldn't have a problem downloading them right now.

I feel your pain, I'm in China right now and I can't get the game. It's only some of the games that are restricted this way and as Crackdown has an 18 rating I can't get it.

Hop on a US VPN/Proxy (like this one: http://lozayique.appspot.com/) and grab it through the https://live.xbox.com website. You'll be fine.

If you are afraid of using a random public Proxy with your XBox Live information (which you shouldn't be, because it's a secure HTTPS server you use to login on xbox live, so everything is encrypted, but still), I believe you can set up a proxy yourself for free on a Google provided account by using this guide (I never bothered doing it because I have a paid VPN service): http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup-proxy-server/12890/

This won't help you download the game, but at least you can "buy" it though the https://live.xbox.com website and assign it to your account.

Edit: Although, after reading the guide, those proxy servers maybe cannot be used to login onto websites (as that requires cookie parsing). But a better Proxy Engine will work. Just have to find one.

Since you have a US Gamertag, Can't you add the game to your account using Xbox.com? That way its at least showing on your account as purchased so you can go through and attempt to download it once you get time for the VPN Trick.

I wont lie though, it does suck.

You can't: The website also checks your IP address. I think it started doing that on the last redesign. However, as I explained earlier (and on my original message), you can "buy" the free game on the website as long as you have an US ip address (through either a proxy or a VPN service), which I already did.

):
I tried making a German account and using a spare one month I had to get both pieces of the pie. It didn't work sadly. You need a German account and xbox.

Xbox One
Me - Zero

I think you might need a German Xbox Live Account and a German IP address. Try to find a German VPN/Proxy and grab it through the website.

Ashtar

So I played like 3 hours of crackdown, the aiming is kind of janky, but it's good clean fun.
I dunno it seems the announcer/narrator is a bit off sync like I'll grab a bunch of agility orbs and then 30 seconds later he's like good job.....
Anyway I've been mainly hopping around in the "central american" part of town, is it just me or is driving pretty awful? Esp if you get one of those low riders hitting the emergency brake basically makes you do a 180.
Also it's pretty lame how they have the DLC set up so you think it's an objective.... but really it's DLC, or they have weapons at the supply drop.... but you have to pay money for em........
Overall fun times if any one wants to run some Co-Op add me GT: Maalik Ashtaar

So I played like 3 hours of crackdown, the aiming is kind of janky, but it's good clean fun.
I dunno it seems the announcer/narrator is a bit off sync like I'll grab a bunch of agility orbs and then 30 seconds later he's like good job.....
Anyway I've been mainly hopping around in the "central american" part of town, is it just me or is driving pretty awful? Esp if you get one of those low riders hitting the emergency brake basically makes you do a 180.
Also it's pretty lame how they have the DLC set up so you think it's an objective.... but really it's DLC, or they have weapons at the supply drop.... but you have to pay money for em........
Overall fun times if any one wants to run some Co-Op add me GT: Maalik Ashtaar

Just added you. Invite me whenever we are both online!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Driving non-agency cars is kind of crummy, but as you level up the agency car gets awesome... of course you'll also run so fast and jump so high that you'll have no need for cars at all :p

Dramos

First time playing Crackdown...

The mechanics might feel awkward (driving, shooting, camera angles, textures, animations, etc.), but the gameplay is crazy fun. I've only leveled up the first tier of my attributes and I'm already having fun. God knows what will happen to Pacific City when I will achieve power overwhelming. Unfortunately, multiplayer is limited only to two players (online, splitscreen) and map aspects are repeating. But heck, this is one of the first games released on the 360.

I can't wait to see next gen cel shaded graphics for Crackdown 3. Obviously, I'm curious to see how the cloud aspects blend into the game: dynamic in-game updates, huge-scale maps, etc.

nel e nel

Driving non-agency cars is kind of crummy, but as you level up the agency car gets awesome... of course you'll also run so fast and jump so high that you'll have no need for cars at all :p

Yeah, the gameplay gets better as your agent improves their skills (more accurate with guns, faster running, higher jumping, etc). Also, some of the guns are better than others.

I got a question, is the Gettin Busy Bonus pack worth it? It's only $5, and I got the game for free, so I was kinda thinking what the heck.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
They put Crackdown in this month's free games to build hype and awareness for Crackdown 3, which they will announce at Gamescom.

Believe.

Sojgat

Playing through Crackdown again thanks to this, but what happened to Halo 3?

They should just make the ODST MP disk available instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are there any Infos, what germans get?

Dead Rising 2 isnt avaiable here, so we should again get another game then the rest of the world.

m23

Are there any Infos, what germans get?

Dead Rising 2 isnt avaiable here, so we should again get another game then the rest of the world.

I think it was either Shadowrun or Lost Planet 2. One is already free and I guess the other will be free tomorrow.

celsowmbr

Banned
Case Zero is not avaliable on Live Brazil :(

http://marketplace.xbox.com/pt-BR/P...6acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a8d?cid=SLink

404Avatar.png

Top Bottom