• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

turmoil

Banned
Luffy stabing himself in his second panel must be the most rad and at the same time ridiculous introduction of a main character ever lol
op_flag3ksic.png

This is never going to be fixed, right?
op_monkeyi5s02.png

Never pay attention to that monkey there... an early version of the monkey of that bald guy later?
Shanks is a glorious troll lol.
I remember my jaw dropping the first time I read the panel of him losing his arm. Damn. Can't wait to see him playing shogi against Mihawk in the epiologue
op_flag2n0sso.png

Again?! Give this man some assistants!
Shanks has a small cut in one of his legs... Mihawk?
Damn this Iron Mace Alvida gurl is some badass, this is the kind of female character I like, looks like this manga will have plenty
This pirate hunter guy they are foreshadowing will be a major villain

Jokes aside, I love how the characterization established 800 chapters ago is still relevant, Luffy has a dream, get in the way and he is going to kick your ass, works great in my book!

We are going to get some panels of Coby vs Aldiva in the future imo. Hope she does some training, gets a new mace or something. Luffy telling Coby he is an idiot is so endearing (like everything that Luffy does really)

Zoro is such a badass, I forgot that Luffy wanted to recruit him even before meeting him.
And he eats the cookies not because he is hungry but for the sake of the little girl! That's my boy.
As an early villain, Helmeppo feels so unconventional, I like him too.

Morgan is quite simple but I kinda like him anyways, a nobody that got addicted to power. I would rather have him with the original hair tbf, I want weirdos. His shocked faces are fun, adds a lot to the cartoonish feel.
Lol zoro is shocked hearing Luffy say that he wants to be pirate king

What a beautiful friendship and rivalry between Zoro and Kuina, it would be a pity if something were to happen to it *menacing stairs*.
I like Kuina having a mundane death even though she is a good fighter.
"So famous that even heaven will hear of my great name"...what feat would make this literally real?
"Are you the offspring of the devil?" Hmmm

How in the hell he speaks with a sword in his mounth? Dirtbag Morgan done by Luffy and later zoro, nice teamup

Luffy: If you have something to protect, then take up the sword

Zoro: "Now I can't find my way home" this is gold haha. Those pirates are dumb to fell for that trick. A thief that only steal from pirates? I am perplexed

vol2&3 later

turmoil

Banned
Yeah Chopper medical skills are displayed mostly like "bandages everywhere".

I don't see how he could become a medical legend if the SW never take serious damage(someone being dismembered or an incurable disease in series like this).

Also why he doesn't bug Sanji about smoking or Zoro about his alcoholism? What a shitty doctor.

caliph95

They barely listen to him when they are heavily injured they won't listen to him for that

He's afraid that Sanji will cook him and Zolo will help by turning him into baloney

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah Chopper medical skills are displayed mostly like "bandages everywhere".

I don't see how he could become a medical legend if the SW never take serious damage(someone being dismembered or an incurable disease in series like this).

Also why he doesn't bug Sanji about smoking or Zoro about his alcoholism? What a shitty doctor.

344722483a1fcc8d0212ca9d70670637.jpg

---

Also Law become a Warlord by stealing 100 hearts, so he's no better lol

caliph95

Law is supposed to be The Doctor of Death, we barely seen him put it to use unless i'm wrong except when he treated Luffy

I do wonder what the government has done with those hearts did Akainu cook them and eat it, sounds like something he would do (not really)

or they did make them honorary warlords

turmoil

Banned
Law is supposed to be The Doctor of Death, we barely seen him put it to use unless i'm wrong except when he treated Luffy

I do wonder what the government has done with those hearts did Akainu cook them and eat it, sounds like something he would do (not really)

or they did make them honorary warlords

I suppose the government uses them as free mercenaries/spies.

Morlas

let's be honest guys most of the doctoring that's done in the series would probably be boring and it would kinda ruin the pacing at the end of an arc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I do love how the warlords look early in the anime when the guys had no idea and the only reference was Mihawk
Shadowed_Shichibukai.png
Yeah, I remember this. I kinda wanted them all to look like privateers (since that's what they're based on). Fluffy hats, swords, lots of pizzazz.

I remember when Kuma and Doffy showed up post-Arabasta at that little Marine HQ scene. It was like DON - SHICHIBUKAI - HUGE BOUNTY! So cool. And we only just recently got to see Doffy's story... I love this series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Apparently yesterday was the 20th anniversary of when One Piece first appeared in Jump
So yeah, One Piece is now officially 20. One more year and it can start drinking.

caliph95

So it's going to be legal

It's funny to think that OP is as old or even older than some of it's readers probably some one on this thread.

Ogodei

latest

For as much as Oda knows what he's doing in advance, sometimes he has no idea.

He's thought of particular story beats well in advance, but we don't have proof that that's the case with character designs, except for all of the Straw Hats except Robin and Chopper.

Big One

Banned
latest

For as much as Oda knows what he's doing in advance, sometimes he has no idea.
Actually I'd say that's a fairly good representation of Kaido w/o his moustach. The pirate hat is wtf though.

Kaido was def planned of some sorts, though. He was namedropped a couple of chapters later by Geckoh Moria, lol. It was probably his design that wasn't finalized at the time.

I'm really curious what was Oda's vision of Kaido in the early stages of the series. Hope we see it someday.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've mentioned this before, but I honestly believe Oda literally makes shit up as he goes along. In most anime/manga, there's some kind of straight-forward, logical progression, but OP doesn't seem to follow that format. For example, when I first started watching the anime, I initially thought that the 7 Warlords were going to be the main antagonists of the series. Then we get introduced to the higher levels of the marines (vice admirals/admirals and such), then we get the 4 Emperors. We can debate who among them are the strongest, but Luffy and crew don't go on to defeat the 7 Warlords, one at a time, before they take on the admirals, or the Emperors or whatever like you would probably expect. One day they'll fight a Warlord, another day an admiral, another Yonko, and then they'll go back to a Warlord, etc. Hell, Oda introduced and killed the guy who was supposed to be the strongest man in the world, while we still have more than half (maybe even more!) of the series to get through!

Now, I'm not saying the way Oda has been doing things is bad or anything, since he does succeed on the most important rule of making a good manga: keeping things interesting. But it is a fairly unique style of story writing.

LotusHD

Banned
I've mentioned this before, but I honestly believe Oda literally makes shit up as he goes along.

That's not his mindset according to Ray's post a few weeks ago:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239277105&postcount=2069

Honestly I dunno how anyone can say this with all the foreshadowing the man does, where even the Gear reveals manage to coincide with one another, or even the cover stories being something you may need to pay attention to. Ultimately, it's just on you for making the assumption that we'd fight them one by one imo. The only thing we know for certain is that Luffy is gonna find One Piece one day, and to a lesser extent, the crewmates will (probably) all achieve their dreams. At the very least, Zoro will achieve his.

Other than that, everything is fair game in terms of how Oda gets us to those points. If anything, the way he does things is far more effective, rather than the whole cliche where the next enemy the crew faces is stronger than the next, and so on. Like you said, we met Mihawk very early on, and turns out the dude is likely the strongest Warlord, giving Zoro a very high bar to clear. Or fighting Enel who is actually pretty damn strong, but has a hilarious disadvantage against Luffy. We saw Doffy years ago, but it's only recently that Luffy fought and defeated him, despite encountering much stronger threats earlier on. Even then, when ya think about it, the Navy/Warlords don't really have anything to do with One Piece. It's not like Luffy needs to beat all of them in order to find it. You could sort of argue that for his rivals in both the Supernova and Yonkou, since they want it themselves, but by the time we actually see them, it becomes obvious that the story could go whatever direction it wants at that point. It's only recently that it has been made clear that Luffy more or less does need to interact with the Yonkou, due to their Poneglyphs, if he hopes to make it to Raftel. And even then, one of the 4 Poneglyphs are lost, so things won't be straightforward there either.

At any rate, it all fits into the whole theme about freedom, where despite Oda's insistence on being consistent with the story, he feels free to direct the readers wherever the hell he damn well pleases, further aided by the fact that the OP universe is weird as fuck.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's not his mindset according to Ray's post a few weeks ago:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239277105&postcount=2069

Honestly I dunno how anyone can say this with all the foreshadowing the man does, where even the Gear reveals manage to coincide with one another, or even the cover stories being something you may need to pay attention to.

I guess I wasn't really clear what I meant by "making shit up as he goes along". Yes, it's true that Oda seems to consider the long game, and has a lot of stuff in there that deals with foreshadowing and such. But I guess what I meant was that for example, Oda might have some idea in his mind, like say, he wants Luffy to meet up with his childhood friend, Sabo, at one point in the future. Then at some point, Oda might think to himself "hey, not only will I introduce him, but I'll make him a critical part of some larger group. Oh, I know! What about the Revolutionary Army??!", and boom, it's done.

In other words, Oda might have a certain destination in his mind, but along the way, the events leading up to that destination can fluctuate wildly. In that sense, I think it's totally possible one can play the long game, while still making shit up as they go along. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I guess I wasn't really clear what I meant by "making shit up as he goes along". Yes, it's true that Oda seems to consider the long game, and has a lot of stuff in there that deals with foreshadowing and such. But I guess what I meant was that for example, Oda might have some idea in his mind, like say, he wants Luffy to meet up with his childhood friend, Sabo, at one point in the future. Then at some point, Oda might think to himself "hey, not only will I introduce him, but I'll make him a critical part of some larger group. Oh, I know! What about the Revolutionary Army??!", and boom, it's done.

In other words, Oda might have a certain destination in his mind, but along the way, the events leading up to that destination can fluctuate wildly. In that sense, I think it's totally possible one can play the long game, while still making shit up as they go along. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

In that sense, yes there's a degree of improvisation in the details of an arc. We know that stuff like Shanks losing his arm was a last minute decision, and we know the worst generation pirates were whipped up in three hours.

Comic books are a unique medium in that the creative process sort of begins and ends from installment to installment. You can plan something out and at the last minute decide that something doesn't work or can be improved.

Ray Down

Banned
DDAJhytUQAIIVZq

DDF4WOSV0AEV9xs

DDDx3mDUQAE0IeX.jpg

Shueisha will sell reprints of Weekly Shonen Jump which had first issue of One Piece and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, both in the same pack for 900 Yen on 12th August.

MANUELF

Banned
DDDx3mDUQAE0IeX.jpg

Shueisha will sell reprints of Weekly Shonen Jump which had first issue of One Piece and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, both in the same pack for 900 Yen on 12th August.
I like how you can see Nami on the cover but she is nowhere for the first few chapters

Big One

Banned
Lol if it wasn't obvious by Big Mom's backstory that Oda took some inspiration from The Promised Neverland. I'm willing to bet the Mother Carmel storyline was something he came out of the blue cause it really wasn't foreshadowed like many other things were. It was just introduced, and then a couple of chapters later it was revealed in it's entirety.

Though I do think there's more to the story than what was shown. We still don't know to what extent Mother Carmel had influence in the world (did she raise characters like Sakazuki?), we still don't know what the hell Big Mom actually i, and why in the hell was Loki willing to marry Lola and make Elbaf a part of Big Mom's crew after what she did? There's so much mysteries there.

I'm willing to be Loki is going to be the antagonist of the Elbaf arc and is going to be a twisted fuck if you go soley by Norse mythology.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah still some mystery with Loki, like why would they even allow him on WCI and why did Elbaf seem ok with him going though the marriage?

Hell what is Lola going to factor in this arc still one way or the other?

Big One

Banned
Yeah still some mystery with Loki, like why would they even allow him on WCI and why did Elbaf seem ok with him going though the marriage?

Hell what is Lola going to factor in this arc still one way or the other?
Well like I said if Norse mythology is anything to go by...Loki is going to be a dick.

BHK3

Banned
From Sandman:
Editor Sugita revealed in an interview on June 19th that

- Whole Cake Island arc will be more exciting in the future.
- "Something" will happen on July 22nd. (OP chapter 1 was published on the day 20 years ago.)
- 2nd and 6th editors Habuta and Hattori are responsible for ONE PIECE Magazines.
- Oda's special mangas in OP Magazines (volume 1-3) are amazing.
- They consulted Oda several times when creating Ace novel.
- An amazing book will be released around the end of 2017.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC20...tu.be&t=24m43s

I dont understand the first point, have people been complaining? Is this Arc going to escalate even further? Like the fight with Kaido started and he threw Zoro to Whole Cake Island type?

Ray Down

Banned
I dont understand the first point, have people been complaining? Is this Arc going to escalate even further? Like the fight with Kaido started and he threw Zoro to Whole Cake Island type?
Arc is suppose to escalate more.

Most likely BM going berserk.

Damn, that's cool just as a piece of history. Jojo is celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year so that explains the reprint.

Top Bottom