• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

I'd be happy if they would just reissue HeartGold or SoulSilver which are rather difficult to find, especially for a reasonable price.

But still: Hype!

There are Gen IV haters? The fuck.

Gen IV is definitely my least favourite. Sure at the time I was like "ZOMG Pokemon on DS!" but looking back...

Hated the story, the music was generally awful except for a few tracks, wasn't keen on Sinnoh, the Pokemon were meh, I wanted to kill Barry, Rowan looked like an evil scientist, the other gender character was annoying no matter who you picked, there were way too many legendary Pokemon and the battles were extremely slow (going from BW to DP was killer).

So yeah, save for a few nice music tracks and some of the Pokemon designs, I didn't enjoy it that much in retrospect.

HeartGold and SoulSilver were A LOT better. Didn't get to try Platinum.

What did Lyre do? Other than being the worst mod in GAF history, of course.
He us to lock really long pokemon threads with accompanying creepy art pics when they inevitably devolved from whatever pokemon news they started off as to the usual pokemon thread topics.

Salvadora

Gen IV is definitely my least favourite. Sure at the time I was like "ZOMG Pokemon on DS!" but looking back...

Hated the story, the music was generally awful except for a few tracks, wasn't keen on Sinnoh, the Pokemon were meh, I wanted to kill Barry, Rowan looked like an evil scientist, the other gender character was annoying no matter who you picked, there were way too many legendary Pokemon and the battles were extremely slow (going from BW to DP was killer).

So yeah, save for a few nice music tracks and some of the Pokemon designs, I didn't enjoy it that much in retrospect.

Get Platinum. Alot faster, And a lot more Pokemon added into the Sinnoh dex. I loved the music, But i do agree with you about to many legendaries.

Suairyu

Banned
He us to lock really long pokemon threads with accompanying creepy art pics when they inevitably devolved from whatever pokemon news they started off as to the usual pokemon thread topics.
Wait, as in he'd post creepy art as the final post of the thread after locking it?

Wiseblade

One step too far buddy.

Suairyu

Banned
Bianca and Cheren as the friendly rivals with actual stories and motivations was absolutely excellent. Especially when they then had N as an antagonistic sort-of rival as well. I hope for more of that sort of character development in gen VI.

Delio

Bianca and Cheren as the friendly rivals with actual stories and motivations was absolutely excellent. Especially when they then had N as an antagonistic sort-of rival as well. I hope for more of that sort of character development in gen VI.

I LOVED them as rivals. Having backstories for them beats "omg I'm just gonna be rude to you."

If you think nintendo wants this on ds at what would be 1.5 years after its death and a good 2 years after at its NA release when it could be selling 3ds systems then ...
Though gamefreak is weird as heck at times.
Crystal came out on gbc after the gba was released.

I predict it will be a dsi game

Petrichor

Gen III was the best. I felt like there was a consistency to the designs of all the new pokemon introduced in that era. Secret bases <3

Gen IV on the other hand, *shudders*. It's responsible for abominations like these:

467Magmortar.png

465Tangrowth.png

injurai

Banned
Better not be a spin off, and it better be for the 3DS.

Despite my love for Pokemon, I have dismissed every single spin-off other than Pokemon Puzzle (which I didn't pick out for myself).

I am really loving the idea of doing a prequel to Red and Blue, where you play as Oak. And you are limited to the first two generations of Pokemon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Crystal came out on gbc after the gba was released.

I predict it will be a dsi game

...Crystal came out a month after the GBA did in the US, this is true. Not even close in Japan.

Same with Emerald really.

The difference is a few months and not a year plus. Hell if it keeps its schedule the western release of the next mainline Pokémon game will be two years after the release of the 3DS.

Gen III was the best. I felt like there was a consistency to the designs of all the new pokemon introduced in that era. Secret bases <3

Gen IV on the other hand, *shudders*. It's responsible for abominations like these:

467Magmortar.png

Magmortar is an absolute beast, yes I know that i'm very much in the minority.

Edit: Yes, i've got slime based backup!

Jaysus, I know people don't read the OP, but really?

Fan; Tell us about the 3rd version of Black and White?

Masuda; Watch Pokemon Smash!

Later, tweets; Watch Pokemon Smash this week!

The only questions are whether it's this Sunday or next Sunday and whether it's for DS or 3DS.

Fake Edit: There's a possibility he's confused about the air date as Smash episodes are filmed several weeks in advance.

Salvadora

A year and a half after it launched in Japan & 2 In the west. There is no chance this is DS. Crystal isn't comparable at all.

Balb

Gen 2 is the worst generation.

Yes. I mean it.

Nah I agree that gen 2 is overrated but gen 5 didn't bring much to the table, had a lot of repeat Pokemon, didn't have as many great Pokemon as any of the other gens (in my opinion, anyway) and was just too by-the-numbers (how many times can we do that same ice gym puzzle?). I still like it a lot but maybe I need to play it again and see if I appreciate it more now.

I didn't like FR/LG because the visuals were...well, I don't know. When I think of a remake, I expect to be wowed by the visual difference/improvement and although Pokemon isn't known for its graphics, it didn't really do anything for me at all. Plus, Kanto isn't the most exciting region as much as I love Pokemon Yellow.

Kanto is pretty boring in terms of visual information, at least compared to Hoenn and Unova, but the graphical upgrade was pretty cool, seeing how much color and fine detail was now present in the different routes. That said, Pokemon isn't really known for its technical excellence, as GF has always made games on the cheap and they continue to do so (wisely, as they can channel more funding into marketing!).

However what really killed me was the music. It's weird because I like the music in R/S (it's probably what I like about RS the most), but the music in F/LG sounds absolutely horrible. ESPECIALLY the Champion theme. That's my favourite music track in any Pokemon game and the FR/LG version is absolute garbage...

Me. You. Outside, right now. That is the ABSOLUTE BEST VERSION! lol, I can respect your opinion. But the samples just take the theme's melodrama and crazy percussiveness to an extreme, a true representative of the GBA era of Pokemon music.

If these really are remakes, then I just hope they improve upon R/S. I think HG/SS made me appreciate G/S more, so it'd be nice if remakes of R/S could do the same. Otherwise, bring on Grey.
My hope is that the new remakes for R/S/E can do that for everyone who passed on the game because they were just suffering from teenage mood swings and angst, or who were just burnt out on the games after the initial craze.

A regular Pokemon game, but with a fighting game battle style. Like Super Smash Bros or something, but with HP.
While I don't think an SSB-style battle system could ever replace the current battle mechanics (and Digimon Rumble Arena (sic?) doesn't count, either!), I've been thinking about what could happen if the battlefield on which trainers and their Pokemon fight could have a far-greater influence on the battle system. All we have to that extent right now are the different types of weather that can influence type inequalities for weaknesses and such—but what if the actual Pokemon could run around an enclosed field and battle each other, using zoning and tactical maneuvers in a game that's predominantly math-y and strategic?

Just a thought.
Patented.

Bruiserk

I will definitely be playing through the third entry in this generation of Pokemon! Black and white rejuvenated my enjoyment in the series (D/P was so boring to me).

Balb

While I don't think an SSB-style battle system could ever replace the current battle mechanics (and Digimon Rumble Arena (sic?) doesn't count, either!), I've been thinking about what could happen if the battlefield on which trainers and their Pokemon fight could have a far-greater influence on the battle system. All we have to that extent right now are the different types of weather that can influence type inequalities for weaknesses and such—but what if the actual Pokemon could run around an enclosed field and battle each other, using zoning and tactical maneuvers in a game that's predominantly math-y and strategic?

Just a thought.
Patented.

I hear this thought a lot but would it actually make sense for a mainline Pokemon game? The turn-based battle system is so key to the games. It'd be like making Super Mario RPG the standard for Mario games or something.

Comet

100% agree. I loved Ruby/Sapphire but Emerald really blew it out of the water. Gen IV almost made me quit the damn series though. Garbage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd be happy if they would just reissue HeartGold or SoulSilver which are rather difficult to find, especially for a reasonable price.

But still: Hype!

?

I see them in Walsmart all the time, in fact I almost bought HG the other day.

I hear this thought a lot but would it actually make sense for a mainline Pokemon game? The turn-based battle system is so key to the games. It'd be like making Super Mario RPG the standard for Mario games or something.
Absolutely not. If I ever wanted to make it (which I do, but it would be a real toughie), fan-made would be the way to go. GF's put themselves in the perfect position to make nothing but cosmetic changes and little tweaks here and there for the Pokemon franchise. Something a bit different? That'll go to someone else, or some fans.

In reality, though, I'm a bit jaded after having worked on a derelict Legends 3 fangame for quite some time, so this idea has been rather attractive as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom