• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple designer invents $12,000 hour glass, which contains non-nano sized "nanoballs"

so1337

with his resume including working with his best mate Jony Ive to create the Apple Watch.
"His best mate Jony Ive"

The only person I could possibly hate more than Jony Ive is some douchebag bragging about the fact that he's best buds with Jony Ive. Fuck off.

That actually looks quite a bit more beautiful than I was expecting based on the original post and the pictures of it. I'd strongly suspect the main difficulty here lies in producing that number of spheres at that size while ensuring they remain within tolerances he considers acceptable (which are no doubt very slight given the beauty of it rests in their uniformity and remaining long-lasting and inflicting minimal wear on each other and on the glass). There's obviously an 'inflated' cost to each piece given who the designer is (and the demand presumably associated with his pieces), the clientele this is aimed at, and it being a limited piece, but I can't imagine they're very cheap to produce individually (and this is ignoring the cost of the glass piece itself).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't get it.

Why would anyone pay $12k for a 10 minute timer.

This feels like a parody.
Like the designer is laughing his ass off, because he knows rich people are going to buy this 10 minute glass.

because rich people like to pay lots of money for pretentious things that make them feel like they appreciate Art

my favorite part is how even newson realizes that he just said complete nonsense the moment after
This kind of nonsense is coming from a forum where a large number of members jump over themselves for trash like Amiibo, POP figures, limited edition video game sets, new hardware that plays decades old games (mini NES classic system), and rebuys game hardware with new coloring.

Give me a break. It's a beautiful object. Is it expensive? Depends on who you ask. I sure as hell wouldn't be caught with an Amiibo but that doesn't stop half of GAF waiting over night in the cold rain for them.

giga

"His best mate Jony Ive"

The only person I could possibly hate more than Jony Ive is some douchebag bragging about the fact that he's best buds with Jony Ive. Fuck off.

You realize the author of the news article wrote that, not him, right?

Sounds exactly like something a silicon valley executive with too much money would do.

...Newson is Australian and lives in the UK.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If $12,000 for me was paramount to about $120 then I'd buy one as well.

Sarek

This kind of nonsense is coming from a forum where a large number of members jump over themselves for trash like Amiibo, pop figures, limited edition video game sets, new hardware that plays decades old games (mini NES classic system), and rebuys game hardware with new coloring.

Give me a break. It's a beautiful object. Is it expensive? Depends on who you ask. I sure as hell wouldn't be caught with an Amiibo but that doesn't stop half of GAF waiting over night in the cold rain for them.

Sure it is pretty, but I don't see it being any more beatiful than hourglasses you can get easily for 1/100th of that price. I mean if you want to pay 12k for that hourglass go for it, but the only thing really unique about this item is the marketing.

Kthulhu

This kind of nonsense is coming from a forum where a large number of members jump over themselves for trash like Amiibo, POP figures, limited edition video game sets, new hardware that plays decades old games (mini NES classic system), and rebuys game hardware with new coloring.

Outside of the pop figures, all of those things at least have a function. They actually do something.

You realize the author of the news article wrote that, not him, right?

…Newson is Australian and lives in the UK.

And works for Apple. I never said he was American or lived here.

entremet

Ppl are always baffled here that others may have different consumer interests. I don't get it. The world is a diverse place and many markets exist. Not everything is made for you lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
but the only thing really unique about this item is the marketing.
Find me another just like it for cheaper, then. You can't. And then ones made by this designer. Unless the Mona Lisa paintings by the Florida NYC transplant are exactly the same as Davinci's.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've seen less appealing expensive things before. If I had disposable income in the millions, I might buy one.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Smaller sand. What an artistic statement.

Find me another just like it for cheaper, then. You can't. And then ones made by this designer. Unless the Mona Lisa paintings by the Florida NYC transplant are exactly the same as Davinci's.
You also can't find another shit like the turd I just flushed a few hours ago. It was one of a kind.

giga

Outside of the pop figures, all of those things at least have a function. They actually do something.

And works for Apple. I never said he was American or lived here.

He's still not a Silicon Valley exec. He's an industrial designer. And even if he was, "Silicon Valley execs" aren't designers.

That actually looks quite a bit more beautiful than I was expecting based on the original post and the pictures of it. I'd strongly suspect the main difficulty here lies in producing that number of spheres at that size while ensuring they remain within tolerances he considers acceptable (which are no doubt very slight given the beauty of it rests in their uniformity and remaining long-lasting and inflicting minimal wear on each other and on the glass). There's obviously an 'inflated' cost to each piece given who the designer is (and the demand presumably associated with his pieces), the clientele this is aimed at, and it being a limited piece, but I can't imagine they're very cheap to produce individually (and this is ignoring the cost of the glass piece itself).

This thread was never meant to just show it to us though. It was meant to ridicule the whole thing from the start and blame Apple while we're at it.
I also think it's a bit of wasted effort for most people. But for those 100 people who love hourglasses and have a shitload of money, it's probably a wannahave.

Sarek

Well if those things make it worth 12k to you then it is worth 12k to you.

Kthulhu

He's still not a Silicon Valley exec. He's an industrial designer. And even if he was, "Silicon Valley execs" aren't designers.

Good thing I didn't call him one. I said: "Sounds exactly like something a silicon valley executive with too much money would do."

Some people would explode if they saw how much people pay for original paintings. Why pay money when you can just print it off the Internet for free, right?

giga

Good thing I didn't call him one. I said: "Sounds exactly like something a silicon valley executive with too much money would do."
It's not common for Silicon Valley execs to design hourglasses. Silicon Valley execs are rarely industrial designers.

Kthulhu

It's not common for Silicon Valley execs to design hourglasses. Silicon Valley execs are rarely industrial designers.

iEy1i8i_d.jpg

Kthulhu

Explain then. I'm not a fan of Silicon Valley execs either, but the dumb stuff rich people do there are different from what Marc Newson does for a living and is doing here.

I'm saying it's the same.

He's just looking for a way to burn his absurd stack of cash.

I must be missing something. Why would you need to worry about corrosion when you could fill the glass with whatever gas you wanted to?

giga

I'm saying it's the same.

He's just looking for a way to burn his absurd stack of cash.
I don't see it that way. He's a niche industrial designer. His entire MO is to create interesting luxury products and sell them at very low quantities at high prices. If anything, that would actually be making him money and is probably how he gained his wealth.

I'm generally ok with the idea of stupidly pointless variations of things that already exist if they at least do something cool. I'd never by them, but I like that they exist. Like binary watches or something.

But what is the invention here? It's literally just an hour glass with steel balls instead of sand.

0.6mm is hardly "nano". You can still see the things.

iPod nano wasn't nano either.

Accoun

HODINKEE

Why is it so funny? Probably because "hodinky" means watch in Czech language.

HODINKEE.com is registered as a domain. The name, inspired by the Czech word “hodinky” “little watch”) reflects founder Benjamin Clymer’s desire to talk about watches in a casual way that is comfortable for all levels of readers.

Top Bottom