• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Apple to announce updated Macbooks at WWDC

tbm24

I use a 2015 11 inch MacBook Air for work, to me it's my favorite laptop I've ever used. I have a 15 inch and 13 inch MacBook Pro for home but it's just not the same. If the damn thing gets a retina screen finally I'm jumping on board. Though now the thought of the new keyboard entered my mind and I'm sad....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why can't they just make the magsafe end on the charger instead of the USB-C adapter at the Macbook? Still saving Macbooks, no annoying adapter nor additional port needed.

Added value: Sell the magsafe charger to other laptop users who want one at your usual Apple markup.
This product is an example of how someone might make what you want. It's better than Apple sticking with the Magsafe. USB C everywhere, please.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Dumb question, but didn't they just barely update their MacBooks last year (with the touch bar)? I thought it was like five years since they last updated their MacBooks, but now they're updating them again within a year?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Dumb question, but didn't they just barely update their MacBooks last year (with the touch bar)? I thought it was like five years since they last updated their MacBooks, but now they're updating them again within a year?
This is the norm or close to it.

Hyoukokun

If they still can't top 16GB of RAM, I'm not likely to update my late-2013 era work laptop. Most of my work on it is more RAM-limited than CPU-limited. The prospect of being able to charge from a USB-C battery pack is kind of nice, though!

Sapiens

It will be a spec bump. The Retina MPB came out in 2012 and it was spec bumps for four years. Same will hold true for the current garbage touchbar MBP

RBH

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Air and love it to this day.

I would honestly be happy if they just added a Retina screen to the MBA (as long as battery life wasn't compromised too much) at this point. That might get me to upgrade.

hirokazu

My 2011 MacBook Pro's AMD graphics went kaput on Tuesday, four and a half months after Apple wrapped up extended warranty for the issue. I should've pushed it harder so that it'd have failed within the warranty period. Now it's listed as an obsolete product so it's practically done for. Shame it was still running pretty damn fine.

Good timing on this, at least. I hope they up the storage and RAM options on the updated models because it's currently craptacular, but I'm not holding my breath.

lord

How much better are the 500 series than the 400 Radeons, would be nice to get a refresh on those as well on 15"

Guess Who

Banned
How much better are the 500 series than the 400 Radeons, would be nice to get a refresh on those as well on 15"

Not substantially. Same basic architecture with minor refinements that allow slightly higher clock speeds. Wouldn't expect more than 10-15% gain.

Gandie

I was planning on getting the 12" at some point after the update this year. However my Late 2008 unibody Macbook (with added RAM, new battery and an SSD) just refuses to die. Will probably make it to the 10 year mark.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Hey so if a new product is announced at wwdc how long does it take to show up on the website / in stores / wherever? Is it like a 'and it's available now' type thing or what?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hey so if a new product is announced at wwdc how long does it take to show up on the website / in stores / wherever? Is it like a 'and it's available now' type thing or what?

Up until a few years ago, Macs were almost always "available now," and the online store would come back up with stock, and stores would have a few models for purchase.

More recently though, there's been a slight, few week lag from reveal to availability.

BTO models are gonna take some time, regardless.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Up until a few years ago, Macs were almost always "available now," and the online store would come back up with stock, and stores would have a few models for purchase.

More recently though, there's been a slight, few week lag from reveal to availability.

BTO models are gonna take some time, regardless.

Alright. Thanks. I guess I'll get the current model MacBook then, feels kind of bad though :/

LordOfChaos

Gurman also said a form fitting battery had been in the works for the current model, but didn't pass tests in time, so they went with an older design. Wonder if that battery will make it to this one, there's a fair amount of unused space right now (airflow would have to be channeled in different ways I guess)

4xfjfvFvFBA65yBI.huge

Gurman also said a form fitting battery had been in the works for the current model, but didn't pass tests in time, so they went with an older design. Wonder if that battery will make it to this one, there's a fair amount of unused space right now (airflow would have to be channeled in different ways I guess)

4xfjfvFvFBA65yBI.huge
This would be an especially strong case of "don't buy the first version of a new Mac design" if true.

If Apple fixes all the issues with the MBP that'd be great.

golem

If so definitely selling this touchbar 2016 pro

Guess Who

Banned
I get 10+ hours of battery life in light usage out of my Touch Bar 15" Pro. Battery life issues with the new models were overblown in my experience (although there were also clearly some software issues causing them that have since been fixed, as well).

LordOfChaos

I get 10+ hours of battery life in light usage out of my Touch Bar 15" Pro. Battery life issues with the new models were overblown in my experience (although there were also clearly some software issues causing them that have since been fixed, as well).

What's light usage in your definition? With nothing but Safari open and a number of tabs of browsing going on (15? 20 maybe? I could do far worse, but trying to be conservative for battery use), 6.5 hours is a good day to me. I could only see getting 10 hours in a single tab (or nearly so) time, but that's hard for me to deal with these days with all the compute power enabling never waiting for a tab, just flip to the next one. Only extension is a content blocker API adblock, which should be a benefit to battery life.

That's what I think the problem with web browsing tests on most websites and Apples own testing is, it's a simple dumb script that loads a page, emulates reading for a number of seconds, and then repeats. Most users who are more than the most casual will change tabs the second they're waiting on one.

Edit: Nice coincidence actually, Gruber just posted some battery life tests, and his method was exactly what I described as not replicating a user but still had under 10 hours

That's pretty easy to replicate in AppleScript. I used that day's leading stories on TechMeme as my source for URLs to load — 26 URLs total. When a page loads, my script waits 5 seconds, and then scrolls down (simulating the Page Down key), waits another 5 seconds and pages down again, and then waits another 5 seconds before paging down one last time. This is a simple simulation of a person actually reading a web page. While running through the list of URLs, my script leaves each URL open in a tab. At the end of the list, it closes all tabs and then starts all over again. Each time through the loop the elapsed time and remaining battery life are logged to a file. (I also logged results as updates via messages sent to myself via iMessage, so I could monitor the progress of the hours-long test runs from my phone. No apps were running during the tests other than Safari, Script Editor, Finder, and Messages.)

I set the display brightness at exactly 68.75 percent for each test (11/16 clicks on the brightness meter when using the function key buttons to adjust), a value I chose arbitrarily as a reasonable balance for someone running on battery power.

Averaged (and rounded) across several runs, I got the following results:

15-inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar: 6h:50m
13-inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar: 5h:30m
13-inch MacBook Pro (2014): 5h:10m
11-inch MacBook Air (2011): 2h:15m
https://daringfireball.net/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac

What are the outstanding issues with the current MBP?

battery life is so-so, keyboard's a straight up downgrade, touchbar doesn't offer enough value to offset what it took away (though I think that's fixable in software if Apple puts more thought into it based on real-world usage - see also watchOS 3)

Guess Who

Banned
What's light usage in your definition? With nothing but Safari open and a number of tabs of browsing going on (15? 20 maybe? I could do far worse, but trying to be conservative for battery use), 6.5 hours is a good day to me. I could only see getting 10 hours in a single tab (or nearly so) time, but that's hard for me to deal with these days with all the compute power enabling never waiting for a tab, just flip to the next one. Only extension is a content blocker API adblock, which should be a benefit to battery life.

That's what I think the problem with web browsing tests on most websites and Apples own testing is, it's a simple dumb script that loads a page, emulates reading for a number of seconds, and then repeats. Most users who are more than the most casual will change tabs the second they're waiting on one.

Edit: Nice coincidence actually, Gruber just posted some battery life tests, and his method was exactly what I described as not replicating a user but still had under 10 hours

https://daringfireball.net/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac

My light usage is usually somewhere between 4-8 Safari tabs open, LINE, Tweetbot, Messages, Mail, and sometimes iTunes open. My screen is at 60% brightness right now. I also use Caffeine to prevent display sleep. Here's what Activity Monitor shows right now, with everything I just described:

YeoFi61.png

This is a 15", 2.7GHz, 1TB, Radeon Pro 460 model.

I don't think the keyboard is likely to change.

The MBP's keyboard illustrates some design and responsiveness improvements over the MB's 1st-gen butterfly hinge design. At the very least, that shows that Apple's aware that there's an issue and willing to work on it - I'm just hoping for further such improvements.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So my sister bought a 12" Macbook as she needed one for work.

I told her to try to wait it out another month but she needed it right away.

For her sake I'm hoping the new model doesn't get a significant boost and/or price drop.

This is how it should be - new cpu is released they update macbooks. And Kaby Lake is important because it has updated hardware decoders for 4k streaming.

VeeP

Apple, can you just update the Air to a higher resolution screen, USB-C, and updated chips? You don't have to alter the keyboard your touchpad or anything.

I already know the answer, they won't. But FFS apple, is it really that hard?

Guess Who

Banned
Apple, can you just update the Air to a higher resolution screen, USB-C, and updated chips? You don't have to alter the keyboard your touchpad or anything.

It's not hard. They just don't want to do it.

Their messaging last fall was very clear: the 13" non-Touch Bar Pro is the new 13" Air.

Furyous

I want to upgrade from my late 2013 13 rMBP to a 15 inch variant but need some incentives:

A better dGPU
Longer battery life
A non touch bar highest spec option
2 tb ssd
32 gigs of ram or something over 16 gigs
Better speakers

How far away are we from wireless charging integrated into notebooks/ultrabooks?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

That's more or less the intention of the 13" Macbook Pro sans Touch Bar.

VeeP

It's not hard. They just don't want to do it.

Their messaging last fall was very clear: the 13" non-Touch Bar Pro is the new 13" Air.

That's more or less the intention of the 13" Macbook Pro sans Touch Bar.

Yea, but I just really dislike how they refuse to update the MacBook Air Screen tbh. I had a friend who was considering buying a MBA for his younger brother, but then I told him about the resolution, showed him the difference, etc. and he was surprised.

Even a 1080p screen would be fine.

Guess Who

Banned
But $500 more expensive.

Like do they really not see why the Air was such a great value proposition this whole time?

My assumption has been, and continues to be, that the long-term plan is for the 12" MacBook to drop to $999 and the 13" Pro to hit $1299, which would put them more in line with original 11" and 13" Air pricing.

I think Apple knows people buy the Air for the budget proposition, which is the single reason it's still for sale.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So my sister bought a 12" Macbook as she needed one for work.

I told her to try to wait it out another month but she needed it right away.

For her sake I'm hoping the new model doesn't get a significant boost and/or price drop.
Is her MacBook going to stop working or something? I don't understand this crabs in a bucket attitude.

My assumption has been, and continues to be, that the long-term plan is for the 12" MacBook to drop to $999 and the 13" Pro to hit $1299, which would put them more in line with original 11" and 13" Air pricing.

I think Apple knows people buy the Air for the budget proposition, which is the single reason it's still for sale.
I think this post is right. A MacBook price drop is a strong possibility. Kill the Air, drop the MacBook's price. Lineup looks good again. Unless Apple is positioning the iPad Pro as the new MacBook Air, which, if iOS 11 turns out great, I can see.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Magsafe or gtfo

Also, get rid of that stupid looking touch bar
Not gonna happen. If anything in time ALL MacBooks will have the touch bar. And MagSafe isn't coming back. It's dead. Unless Apple releases a hybrid charging cable that has it. Which they won't.

The only reason the low end touchbar-less MBP is around is to keep something in the low price range area until the technology is matured enough to go all out. Same reason a low end shitty iMac used to exist while waiting for Retina screens of that size to become cheaper.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is her MacBook going to stop working or something? I don't understand this crabs in a bucket attitude.

If I'm going to spend $1600 on a computer and I know a better product is coming along for the same price a mere weeks later, I personally would just wait it out for that better product, especially since this is something I'd ideally be owning for a number of years.

Bboy AJ

If I'm going to spend $1600 on a computer and I know a better product is coming along for the same price a mere weeks later, I personally would just wait it out for that better product, especially since this is something I'd ideally be owning for a number of years.
She could have done that, then. I never understood hoping for a worse future product for the rest of the world. If she needed it right away, well, rough luck. Return it in 15 days.

Top Bottom