• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the new MS Surface Pro

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Venture Beat

hero.jpg

back.jpg

tab.jpg

side.jpg

Instead, the upgrades here are by and large internal (thus the “refresh” characterization). It’s very much a “tock” release, to use terminology commonly associated with S-branded Apple iPhone models.

PS: Sorry dudes but the leaks suggest no USB C.

Huh, but I already have the Microsoft Surface Pro. Very first model at that. How many Surfaces are there by now?

It's probably time for a new one for me next year. My current gen 1 is a tad too slow for Windows 10 too.

Vanillalite

Huh, but I already have the Microsoft Surface Pro. Very first model at that. How many Surfaces are there by now?

4 now, and this would be the 5th. Yet like Apple recently did with the iPad MS appears to be dropping the number convention.

So this is just essentially the new Surface Pro.

They are going away from the numbers. Just calling it Surface Pro. I dig it.

That's interesting so whenever the successor to this one comes out they will call it Surface Pro again?

By the way what are the real differences between this and the Surface Book things? I mean Surface is pretty much a PC/laptop now.

Good move by MS to drop the number. People know the brand by now, and there's no justification for giving it a new number if every change is internal over essentially three revisions.

Wish it had USB-c, but it's not like it can be expected to be perfect at 799$ starting prices. I'm sure the new dock will have it.

Hoping 999$ option starts at 8gb ram.

Kysen

I hope for all the new owners MS gets their software/drivers right this time. SP4 was a complete mess for me.

Nander

Nice - I really like the new color scheme as well (on this and the Surface Laptop). Give me a decently priced 16GB version and I'll bite.

Arttemis

I hope for all the new owners MS gets their software/drivers right this time. SP4 was a complete mess for me.
I've used every generation of Surface Pro expect 3, and the SP4 is definitely the smoothest of the bunch regarding functionality and updates.

The only issue I every experienced in the first two months was the keyboard occasionally thought it was disconnected momentarily, but never ceased to function. It was patched quickly.

I've got a SP3 that's getting long in the tooth for sure
Don't know if i should finally upgrade to this or just go back Laptop life with the recent MS Surface Notebook. I almost never use the surfacepro for either tablet browsing or stylus activities anymore...

gamz

I've got a SP3 that's getting long in the tooth for sure
Don't know if i should finally upgrade to this or just go back Laptop life with the recent MS Surface Notebook. I almost never use the surfacepro for either tablet browsing or stylus activities anymore...

Then the Surface Laptop is up your alley.

Vanillalite

Dammit Microsoft! You THIS close to getting my monies.....

Good move by MS to drop the number. People know the brand by now, and there's no justification for giving it a new number if every change is internal over essentially three revisions.

Wish it had USB-c, but it's not like it can be expected to be perfect at 799$ starting prices. I'm sure the new dock will have it.

Hoping 999$ option starts at 8gb ram.

No USB C? That would be very short sighted. I'll just hope that this drives down the 4 costs

The Verge

New Surface Pro leak confirms Microsoft's hatred for USB-C

There's also no USB-C port that we can see, just like the Surface Laptop announced a few weeks ago. Simply put, Microsoft doesn't think that the fledging connector is ready for prime time.

Zaru

"No USB-C" sounds outdated but then I remembered that I don't have ANYthing that uses USB-C anyway.

Servbot24

Banned
If the stylus is as good as Apple Pencil I'll be willing to check it out. Would be great to have Photoshop on a tablet with top tier drawing control.

Honestly I'm shocked they don't haveba thunderbolt 3 port

Not sure if the bandwidth is comparable, but they have that proprietary dock connector that does basically same thing.

They just don't seem to want to give you something widely adoptable. They really want to sell you the their DOCK, not some 3rd party USB-C hubs. And they don't want you to try and connect an eGPU unless it's THEIR eGPU, if they decide to make one at all...

CDX

So is it likely just a Surface Pro 4 upgraded to kaby lake processors? That's what I'm assuming it is.

If the stylus is as good as Apple Pencil I'll be willing to check it out. Would be great to have Photoshop on a tablet with top tier drawing control.

Wacom's dual protocol (WAcom AES and MPP/N-trig) pen is almost out. It's even in Best Buy's system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wacom-bamboo-ink-smart-stylus-black/5731102.p?skuId=5731102

This pen will work with any Wacom AES or MS N-Trig compatible touch devices. It should have tilt support added, and has the same 1 gram initial detection force load sensor as Cintiq pens but mapped to 4096 pressure levels.

https://sec.ch9.ms/slides/winHEC/2_02_WindowsInk.pdf (see page 49)

DonShula

Being only casually aware of these, a number might have told me this was updated, because to me it looks exactly the same as the old ones.

Is there finally more than one USB port? Two would be grand!

Same exact body and ports. Only SoC change to 7th gen (Kaby Lake) and maybe DDR4 RAM instead of DDR3.

And in my dreams maybe they'll man up and get rid of 4GB of RAM SKUs and start with 8GB and go up to 32GB max.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Pro's are so weird as each one barely upgrades from last unless you bought the shitty m3/dual core one
Its almost like theyre not dedigned for you to upgrade every year (seriously who does that?) But for people who upgrade every 3 or so years.

CDX

Wacom's dual protocol (WAcom AES and MPP/N-trig) pen is almost out. It's even in Best Buy's system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wacom-bamboo-ink-smart-stylus-black/5731102.p?skuId=5731102

This pen will work with any Wacom AES or MS N-Trig compatible touch devices. It should have tilt support added, and has the same 1 gram initial detection force load sensor as Cintiq pens but mapped to 4096 pressure levels.

https://sec.ch9.ms/slides/winHEC/2_02_WindowsInk.pdf (see page 49)

I was wondering if the dual protocol pen would support tilt. So if it does that's good news.

Now, hopefully MS N-Trig will be able to get rid of it's diagonal line jaggy issue sometime soon.

Vanillalite

Its almost like theyre not dedigned for you to upgrade every year (seriously who does that?) But for people who upgrade every 3 or so years.

You couldn't even do that with this cause the current Pro is more than a year old.

I can easily see why after waiting 18 months you'd be miffed with what appears to be just an internal spec bump.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You couldn't even do that with this cause the current Pro is more than a year old.

I can easily see why after waiting 18 months you'd be miffed with what appears to be just an internal spec bump.
You know what i mean about upgrading every year, dont play semantics.

If your miffed because you have a pro 4 and the new pro is only internal spec bump, i would say its time to look at more performance based laptops.

But again, upgrading every year-ish isnt going to net you huge performance gains. Its als a waste of money imo.

JCX

"No USB-C" sounds outdated but then I remembered that I don't have ANYthing that uses USB-C anyway.

Both my phone and Switch use C now. Would have been nice for this to jump in too. I'll stick with my SP4 for now.

Top Bottom