• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the new MS Surface Pro

Buy neither of those devices have USB-C.... how does that turn you off the choice of a Surface Pro? You wont get USB-C either way.

Your right I'm just being stupid. I'll probably end up buying the surface pro since I can't really wait that long since I need something for working when I'm not in the office.

Totakeke

Again, why do most of you want USB-C on your laptop? The magnetic charger is better than a USB-C charger, so what do you do with a USB-C port on your laptop other than buy new cables?

Someone mentioned that it could allow for external GPUs, but that's quite niche.

jts

...hate me...
Again, why do most of you want USB-C on your laptop? The magnetic charger is better than a USB-C charger, so what do you do with a USB-C port on your laptop other than buy new cables?

Someone mentioned that it could allow for external GPUs, but that's quite niche.

To use the same chargers and cables across a multitude of devices that already exist now, and will only increase tenfold going forward.

giga

- it's a better connector than mini DP and usb 3.0
- usb 3.1 gen 2 is a necessity for external ssds
- being able to use third party chargers is nice
- we expect to own $1k laptops for more than a year or two so future proofing is nice
- 5k displays are becoming a thing
- fast charging for your peripherals is also becoming a thing

Right now I've got my phone, chromebook, and switch using USB-C and it's nice being able to use the same cable for all those devices.

Totakeke

- usb 3.1 gen 2 is a necessity for external ssds
That's USB3, not USB-C though, isn't it?

- being able to use third party chargers is nice
A standard USB-C charging port seems a lot worse than a magnetic type charger to me especially on a larger device like a laptop

- 5k displays are becoming a thing
Is that USB3 or USB-C?

- fast charging for your peripherals is also becoming a thing
This isn't a smartphone though. It's not like this is going from micro-usb to USB C

Edit: If you guys are saying they should get rid of the magnetic charger for USB-C, I vehemently disagree.

Because my phone uses it and eventually I will have a Switch and a new PC motherboard that uses it too. It's just more convenient when all your devices use the same cables. And I don't have that pesky issue where I wrongly insert the connector fifty million times with usb c.

giga

That's USB3, not USB-C though, isn't it?
They go hand in hand. Devices like the Samsung T3 use both USB-C and 3.1 Gen 2 to deliver 450mbps speeds.

A standard USB-C charging port seems a lot worse than a magnetic type charger to me especially on a larger device like a laptop
You don't have to replace the magnetic charging port. Replace the mini DP port. Why not offer both options depending on what charger you have with you?

Is that USB3 or USB-C?
It's TB3/USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode.

This isn't a smartphone though. It's not like this is going from micro-usb to USB C
I'm talking about charging your smartphone or tablet with USB-C fast charging.

3-1080.2938397329.jpg

USB type C variants and not even everything

but all you guys are missing, that the Surface Pro is a business device.
remember how long VGA was a thing because of beamer compatibility?

Totakeke

Okay after reading up on it a bit there's the USB3.1 standard, and USB type-C connector, those doesn't even have to be coupled together. You have USB-C ports that's based on the older USB3.0 standard for example. You can have the standard size USB port with USB3.1 as well.

The future proofing things I'm assuming are mainly coming from the USB3.1 standard. I really doubt USB-C ports will ever be ubiquitous as it's the same reason that we don't see micro-USB ports on laptops and desktops prior to USB-C because they're too small. I doubt you'll get to only use USB-C cables in the next decade.

You don't have to replace the magnetic charging port. Replace the mini DP port. Why not offer both options depending on what charger you have with you?

That's an interesting proposal but there's never been a device that has two different charging ports before is there?

The future proofing things I'm assuming are mainly coming from the USB3.1 standard. I really doubt USB-C ports will ever be ubiquitous as it's the same reason that we don't see micro-USB ports on laptops and desktops prior to USB-C because they're too small. I doubt you'll get to only use USB-C cables in the next decade.

My future proofing issue comes in on the fact that I change my devices every 5 to 10 years. Only reason I'm changing my 2008-2009 Alienware MX11 laptop is because the battery can no longer be found, no market for replacement batteries due to its uniqueness.

I'll buy a laptop soon and my expectation is for that device to last me another 8-10 years so I want it as future proof as possible.

Jeff-DSA

I still use my SP3 daily at work and as my primary non-gaming device. It's been fantastic. Docked at work, it's really a fantastic machine. It might be time to upgrade.

Totakeke

My future proofing issue comes in on the fact that I change my devices every 5 to 10 years. Only reason I'm changing my 2008-2009 Alienware MX11 laptop is because the battery can no longer be found, no market for replacement batteries due to its uniqueness.

I'll buy a laptop soon and my expectation is for that device to last me another 8-10 years so I want it as future proof as possible.

I realize that's a valid concern, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the lack of USB-C. Or are you saying you don't think you'll be able to find a replacement battery charger for the proprietary magnetic port that Microsoft uses?

Future

I kinda want one. I have a surface pro 3 and it's feeling a bit old. But why would I get this for mainly OneNote and internet and occasional gaming.

Bump up the res, give me significant battery life, better pen support, more reliable sleep, ..then maybe. But I'm guessing the book 2 will be the real upgrade.

Ran rp

How am I supposed to know which version I have? Esspecially if they are identical.

You don't research the expensive tech you buy? Even second hand there should be an easy way to identify what you have on the hardware/software and online. Are people on gaf really this tech illiterate?

Edit: If you guys are saying they should get rid of the magnetic charger for USB-C, I vehemently disagree.

I agree very strongly with this. It's one of my favorite features in Surface Pro 3. I'm not even exaggerating.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The magnetic charging/dock port on my Surface Book is among my favorite features, I sure hope it doesn't get replaced with USBC in a later version. The effortless snap of re-docking at the desk with that amazing smooth cord, mmm.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i have a Surface Pro.

proprietary cables suck so much.
so pretty much every device sucks cause 99% of them have their own proprietary charging cable?

I agree very strongly with this. It's one of my favorite features in Surface Pro 3. I'm not even exaggerating.
its great. I have USB 3.0 if i want to use that for anything, but through the surface brick style dock i have 4 USB, 2 mini display port, ethernet, 3.5mm out. Its nice, as well as charging.

Totakeke

i have a Surface Pro.

proprietary cables suck so much.

Okay, then first of all "are you that clumsy" is a silly question since a lot of people who broke smartphones in their lives probably won't think that they are clumsy nor are planning to break their smartphones. Second of all why does clumsy even have to do with the ease of use of a product. Even if I'm the most careful person in the world, if you told me that I can just not worry about someone tripping over my charging cable while I'm at a cafe, do I say "nah, I'd rather have a normal-ass cable because I can prove how careful I am".

muu

Really don't see the charger going away, even if they add USB-C. I'd hope for at least a USB-C in place of mini DP though.

giga

Okay after reading up on it a bit there's the USB3.1 standard, and USB type-C connector, those doesn't even have to be coupled together. You have USB-C ports that's based on the older USB3.0 standard for example. You can have the standard size USB port with USB3.1 as well.

That's an interesting proposal but there's never been a device that has two different charging ports before is there?
I think you're wrong and mainly because of usb 3.1 gen 2 and reversible connectors. Two very clear improvements that micro USB didn't bring. Microsoft will add support next year and everyone will say "finally."

Totakeke

I think you're wrong and mainly because of usb 3.1 gen 2 and reversible connectors. Two very clear improvements that micro USB didn't bring. Microsoft will add support next year and everyone will say "finally."

There's no doubt that eventually the devices will have much newer standards. I'm skeptical that we'll see USB-C ports on anything other than portable devices though. USB-C on a desktop? USB-C on a monitor? Eh.

giga

There's no doubt that eventually the devices will have much newer standards. I'm skeptical that we'll see USB-C ports on anything other than portable devices though. USB-C on a desktop? USB-C on a monitor? Eh.
Why? They're already here. Dell, Lenovo, and Apple have been shipping them for a while. Why would desktops not have faster speeds? What else would they use?

is this what it's like to be Bboy AJ?

so pretty much every device sucks cause 99% of them have their own proprietary charging cable?

yes.

finally that has been changing.

and it's a good thing.

Okay, then first of all "are you that clumsy" is a silly question since a lot of people who broke smartphones in their lives probably won't think that they are clumsy nor are planning to break their smartphones. Second of all why does clumsy even have to do with the ease of use of a product. Even if I'm the most careful person in the world, if you told me that I can just not worry about someone tripping over my charging cable while I'm at a cafe, do I say "nah, I'd rather have a normal-ass cable because I can prove how careful I am".

i have never broken a smartphone and i have had them since Windows Mobile 5.

the worst thing i have done was lose the S Pen on my Galaxy Note 5.

the great thing about standardized cables is there are so many available options, including magnetic breakaway charge cables.

Totakeke

Why? They're already here. Dell, Lenovo, and Apple have been shipping them for a while. Why would desktops not have faster speeds? What else would they use?

USB-C, not USB3.1. Those are two separate things that doesn't have to come together.

Case in point.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVSN2YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i have never broken a smartphone and i have had them since Windows Mobile 5.

the worst thing i have done was lose the S Pen on my Galaxy Note 5.

the great thing about standardized cables is there are so many available options, including magnetic breakaway charge cables.

You should tell the Surface team about all that.

hwalker84

Not seeing what USB-C does at this time. I mean it has a usb port. Are people looking for that to replace Microsoft's magnetic charger? or are you looking to have it with the ports it already has? or a replacement of the regular USB port?

Anyway show me the specs and battery life. If it's sufficient i'll upgrade my Pro 4.

I was hoping to see some improvements to the pen, doesn't look like the case. I'll probably be waiting another year to upgrade my SP3 (with the SP4's pen).

strata8

I've been waiting far too long for this. Bought a Surface Pro 3 then returned it a few days later to wait for the Surface Pro 4, which I never ended up getting. Have been using a $250 laptop instead.

Really hoping for pen improvements but I'm not optimistic.

jagowar

Not seeing what USB-C does at this time. I mean it has a usb port. Are people looking for that to replace Microsoft's magnetic charger? or are you looking to have it with the ports it already has? or a replacement of the regular USB port?

Anyway show me the specs and battery life. If it's sufficient i'll upgrade my Pro 4.

Agreed... it will be 5+ yrs before usb-c is ready for primetime but they still should have included both. It would have been far worse to pull an apple and only do usb-c.

Pooya

Even asus has managed to make a surface pro rip off with thunderbolt 3.0! you can run external GPU on that. Cmon MS, is it too hard to put a couple more holes on that shell?

giga

USB-C, not USB3.1. Those are two separate things that doesn't have to come together.

Case in point.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVSN2YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You should tell the Surface team about all that.
That's not standard and I don't see OEMs doing that because they'd be stuck with an inferior connector and incompatibility with all the type c/3.1 gen 2 peripherals coming out.

This was discussed earlier in the thread.

Instead of buying $1500 device every 5 years, why don't you buy a $1000 device every 3 years? Surface Pro 4 has been copied very well by ODMs for a while now. There are many worthy alternatives that are much cheaper. Some also have USB-C ports.

I still use my SP3 daily at work and as my primary non-gaming device. It's been fantastic. Docked at work, it's really a fantastic machine. It might be time to upgrade.
Completely agreed on how useful the Surface Pro 3 is.

But I'll need a solid upgrade before I move on from it.

norm9

Really glad I picked my surface pro 4 up when I did. Perfectly happy with the performance and build quality.

You got me thinking maybe I should pick up a pro 4 when this new one goes out in stores. Should be cheaper with the new model out.

Wouldn't something like the Lenovo Miix 720 be a much better choice than warmed over Surface Pro 2017?

------------------------------Miix 720---------------------------Surface Pro 2017
SoC-------------------Kaby Lake dual core-------------Kaby Lake dual core
RAM-------------------DDR 4------------------------------DDR 4
Display---------------12" 2880x1920-------------------12.3" 2736x1824
GPU-------------------Intel on package-----------------Intel on package
Storage---------------NVMe SSD, uSD----------------NVMe SSD, uSD
Digitizer---------------Wacom AES---------------------N-Trig/MPP
Ports-------------------USB-A 2.0, USB-A 3.0--------USB 3.0, Mini Display port
--------------------------USB-C (3.1)----------------------Proprietary dock connector

You can get a 7200U/8GB/256GB Miix 720 for $1030 and it comes with backlit Keyboard Cover:
http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablet...Lenovo-MIIX-720-12IKB/p/80VV001CUS#80VV001CUS

Top Bottom