• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

There's no way either company would give the competition a two year lead. Both machines will either launch the same year or a year apart at most.

You're probably right about the 2 year thing, and I was more using that as an extreme longest time in between. I do feel with how they are spaced now with the Pro coming out a year before x1x that it will probably stay at least that year apart. Who knows obviously, and this could end up going 100 different ways, but that is just what I am anticipating happens.

Arklite

About $1500 cheaper than the best PC ever that runs 4K on max settings with lots of tweaking.

You could probably do similar with a $900 machine with a framerate advantage, but yeah. So the secret sauce is here is really the cooling system? Without it they'd be dealing with Pro's size and limitations I think.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
About $1500 cheaper than the best PC ever that runs 4K on max settings with lots of tweaking.

Nah. A $1500 PC can run pretty much all games at 4K without any tweaks at far higher settings. Just put in a 1080 TI and a Ryzen 5 with 16 GB RAM and a 500 GB ssd.

It's more like going from Medium settings to Ultra IMO. Hardly looks like different generations. That and the weapons/cape that the protagonist has on are different between the shots, so it's not a 1-to-1 comparison.

Still looks fucking fantastic though.

I think some of you people are forgetting what one generation looks like compared to another.

Here is a side by side pic of Battlefield Hardline on Xbox One compared to Xbox 360.

https://flic.kr/p/Zxnyrm

Ground textures/poly count is the real only difference in the 360 version compared to Xbox One version. Not only do the ground textures (all textures in gerneral) look greatly improved in Shadow of War on One X, the lighting is greatly improved aswel and also a nice bump in resolution!

So exactly, the images i referred to are not far off my original statement that them 2 pics can easilly be interpreted as one gerneration ahead.

Looks like another good port. Interested to see how well it compares to a high end PC.

This post is almost unsettling. These are pieces of plastic to play games, not some weapon for your stupid console war.

It’s spacenut. You either get used to “Xbox one x is a beast” in every thread or you ignore him. He’s harmless enough though.

Yeah, seriously, the difference is insane in pretty much all of the shots on the DF written review:

zp7c.png

Ooh. That pic does a good job detailing the differences. I think the texture deal is going to be the norm going forward in addition to the resolution benefits.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Nah. A $1500 PC can run pretty much all games at 4K without any tweaks at far higher settings. Just put in a 1080 TI and a Ryzen 5 with 16 GB RAM and a 500 GB ssd.

He isn't even talking about a $1500 computer but rather a $2000 one.

So exactly, the images i referred to are not far off my original statement that them 2 pics can easilly be interpreted as one gerneration ahead.
No.

You could probably do similar with a $900 machine with a tetrameter advantage, but yeah. So the secret sauce is here is really the cooling system? Without it they'd be dealing with Pro's size and limitations I think.

I just hope the hardware is reliable. All this fancy cooling system talk scares me.

nOoblet16

That's interesting and good to know. The DF video made it sound as if these textures were all fixed on the Xbox One X.

I mean there are certainly noticeable improvements at times like the ground textures in the comparison in the article. But high ground textures are not always that poor and ultra textures are not always crisp.

I mean these are with ultra textures

4S3K5oD.png

Akronis

Alright who here has a rig that runs this game as good as the One X? What did your personal PC rig cost you?

Why do you need validation from other people to try and prove that the Xbox One X is better exactly?

It's impressive that the XOX achieves all of this for $500. Stop trying to turn this into a platform wars thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Been saying for a while that textures are going to be the biggest differentiating factor for the Pro and X versions.

Still, the non-X/PC textures look a good deal worse than I would expect on any of the other consoles. Seems like an odd choice

xxracerxx

Well some people think GTS is a generation ahead of FM7 and the difference here in this game is more prevalent, so.....

I kid I kid I kid, lol

GTS is a ghost of it's former self and Forza 7 is all but boxed up.

HAHAHAHA get it?!?!?!

Forza Horizon is where it is at!

rmatheso

Why do you need validation from other people to try and prove that the Xbox One X is better exactly?

It's impressive that the XOX achieves all of this for $500. Stop trying to turn this into a platform wars thread.

Like you just did?

xxracerxx

I for one, look forward to the shit show that will be the face off thread for Red Dead Redemption II.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah, seriously, the difference is insane in pretty much all of the shots on the DF written review:

zp7c.png

Not saying it doesn't look better, but that PS4 screenshot is cropped in way closer

Edit: no it's not that's weird. It's not just texture quality, it must be different levels of LOD or something

Really excited to play this! This just reinforces my decision of buying multiplats for Xbox again and just buying Playstation exclusives. My consoles' roles have yet again switched.

Jolkien

Looks like my PS4 Pro dropped a dooker and ran off hiding after watching that DF video.

We know you're excited you already made it clear on page 2 with this exact type of post.

Hopefully from now on all title will show the same kind, or even larger difference. I'd be annoyed if my games on my Pro looked like it does on a regular Xbox one so it's good that Monolith took the advantage it had with the platform. Hopefully the vast majority will follow suit.

rmatheso

I don't think I ever responding saying that PC was better or a better value. I just said that you're ignorant if you think that it costs >$2000 to achieve ultra 4K @ locked 30fps in this game lol.

Stop thread derailing.

Fair enough on the price.

My point was that you probably have to throw more money at a PC system to match this performance on the Xbox. Yes, consoles end up less powerful over time as a PC users can constantly change out parts and always have the best performance. I think Sony and Microsoft rather you just swap out the whole console.

Upinsmoke

Looks like the difference between og Xbox one and PS4 to me. Which makes the original Xbox launch price all the more pathetic.

Akronis

Fair enough on the price.

My point was that you probably have to throw more money at a PC system to match this performance on the Xbox. Yes, consoles end up less powerful over time as a PC users can constantly change out parts and always have the best performance. I think Sony and Microsoft rather you just swap out the whole console.

It depends on the game. Games like Prey had huge issues running on console compared to similar PC specs. On the other side, Batman Arkham Knight was a legit disaster on PC and was missing graphical features that were present on PC. Depends on how much time the dev is willing to spend/cut and where the bottlenecks are.

Top Bottom