• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

Snake and York have no business being on that list. I'd also remove Chris because he's classic, Nate & Joel for being memorable. I can't even name anyone else on that list?

I mean the list is kinda dumb anyway, but it's about "character designs" not a popularity contest or series that you're personally familiar with.

kunonabi

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

aloy___horizon_zero_dawn_by_loish-db1hw1w.png

C60hvoQWoAQl73y.jpg

ef6f24767b15493bd7c4d343dd7d714d-db3xeox.png

horizon-zero-dawn-artbook-scan2.jpg

be0wpxzt1qi0nb7jnido.jpg

Man, why did they drop this for Ms. Giant Face.

Kalentan

The only thing I get from that Aloy art is that the concept has her looking much younger and more stylized. The final version fits the realistic tone of the game better.

For the concept to really work, you'd ideally want a celshaded style of game, and that's not something I see GG making any time soon.

Not to mention that I feel like a celshaded art style or even a more stylized art style may have taken away from the story imho.

neptunes

WOW, she looks way better there, what were they thinking by changing her design to the one we have now ?
Those are drawings, even if they were to use them, the in-game model would look drastically different in 3d. It would probably clash with the rest of the game.

And with concept art it's never really about what looks "better", but rather what design is more realized and fits the original vision of the creator(s).

I love Bayonetta's concept designs so much, they are all mostly great to amazing. Think the final product is great too! I would have loved to see and or get later in a possible 3, some of those costumes, particularly the long hair and big hat, the first with long purple hair (though can do without the batpubes)

I like current Aloy.... but if they stylized her with the original look, the whole game would have been stylized that way.

Its actually really hard to know which is better, but they decided to stick with the realism. In a sea of games that do hyper-realistic faces, it would have stuck out to have a game look like a cartoon-fantasy mixed in with realistic looking dinosaurs and machines.

I have no problem with the game going for a realistic approach, and I love Aloy regardless, but Im curious if the entire game could have been presented in a more appealing animated style... I feel like maybe it would have been a poor clashing between machine and humans

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hyberbolic like the people calling Alloy ugly?
I always understood that hyperbolic language meant an exaggeration, not an outright falsehood. But sure, you showed me

Am I not allowed to have a preference?
And we're allowed to laugh at you for saying "what a shame they didn't go for <cute Disney princess>".

The worse offense in this thread is everyone quoting that huge ass image over and over again in this thread
Fucking this PLEASE STOP, PEOPLE ._.

Disgraced

In a sea of games that do hyper-realistic faces, it would have stuck out to have a game look like a cartoon-fantasy mixed in with realistic looking dinosaurs and machines.
Is that really where we're at? Because in 2017 cartooney art in games isn't a scarcity either. I'm not naming examples because they sure as shit ain't obscure. What I mean to say is, that's only a hypothetical, and what's really going to make games stand out (especially as time goes on) is their small nuances and mixtures of styles, as you say (cartoon-fantasy X realistic dinos/machines)... so also, maybe. If that makes sense.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
FFX

1452693172053.jpg

i think there was a dark haired tidus at some point too

I like the auron and yuna we got, but this tidus is so much better it's not even funny. I have a feeling by choosing this design and seeing him on the front cover of the game, they probably would have sold a lot more copies and got a lot better critical reception than goofy expressioned, suspenders and yellow shirted tidus.

neptunes

I like the auron and yuna we got, but this tidus is so much better it's not even funny. I have a feeling by choosing this design and seeing him on the front cover of the game, they probably would have sold a lot more copies and got a lot better critical reception than goofy expressioned, suspenders and yellow shirted tidus.
That tidus doesnt fit the game nor the personality they chose for him.

Nazo

Metroid Prime's original Samus design seen at Spaceworld was pretty rough. The worst part by far was the stubby arm cannon.

Gz4I1Af.jpg

The color pallet and the weird muddyness to the colors make it look like she's made of Pizza.

Do you, uh, know something we don't?

These were real Tetsuya Nomura designs included in the bonus materials of FFX HD remake, based on Nojima's dreadful FFX-2.5 novel. Whether we get a real FFX-3 in the future remains to be seen (I kinda hope not).

I was kinda hoping somebody would post Stella (FF Versus XIII) as an early design for Luna (FFXV) in this thread, just to troll all the irrational Stella fans who can't move on with their lives.

jmartoine

Really dislike the early designs for Aloy but I guess the game would have gone a more stylized route if that had been chosen.

Here is some Kratos concept art.
latest

jelly

Anyway, came in to post Shi Kai Wang's Master Chief concept and...

Guess I don't have to, lol. While I think the Chief we got was great, I always liked that concept piece.

Thank God that got completely redone.

I always hoped Halo 4 would have gone that survival route, like Chief was a bit of a scavenger, been stuck on the planet for a bit. Carrying his ammo around, looking for a way off.

Whoa, I didn't know Loish was involved in Horizon. Kind of wish they went with her more bespoke art styles than what they settled on.

I like current Aloy.... but if they stylized her with the original look, the whole game would have been stylized that way.

Its actually really hard to know which is better, but they decided to stick with the realism. In a sea of games that do hyper-realistic faces, it would have stuck out to have a game look like a cartoon-fantasy mixed in with realistic looking dinosaurs and machines.

I have no problem with the game going for a realistic approach, and I love Aloy regardless, but Im curious if the entire game could have been presented in a more appealing animated style... I feel like maybe it would have been a poor clashing between machine and humans
I see no reason why it would have to clash. You can easily stylise dinosaurs and machines if needed, and would probably even have preferred it.

Danchi

Maybe they can use those Horizon: Zero Dawn designs in a prequel game where the main character is supposed to be 15...

Really disheartening to see the number of people in here who would have preferred a much more typical waifish supermodel look for Aloy as opposed to the finalized design we got. I was really impressed with Aloy not being stereotypically pretty, and that more delicate Barbie doll design is counterintuitive to the things that I think made her a decent character.

Kneefoil

That blatantly evil guy second from the left is the original Edgeworth design, which is pretty hilarious.
Looks more like a younger Manfred Von Karma to me. I guess it would make sense that Von Karma would mold Edgey into basically himself. Unless there was originally going to be only one antagonistic prosecutor, in which case him it also makes sense that Von Karma looks like him.

Rad-

FFXII:
Balthier
1FlKlEn.jpg

Ashe (darker skinned?)
XYxsoi5.jpg

Basch
z71XsPH.jpg

The Basch pic on the right looks like he is enjoying that Ashe concept art a bit too much.

Seesaw15

I don't know why everyone's drawing a line in the sand between 'waif' Aloy and her final design as if there's this huge chasm. Obviously the final 3d model has more detailed musculature than a concept sketch but their body types are pretty similar ( thin muscular arms, narrowish shoulders, slim waist).Aloy's only 18 in the game so it makes sense that she'd have a little baby fat in her cheek since she's still growing.

aloy___horizon_zero_dawn_by_loish-db1hw1w.png

2e2133965c1d3c9dcfc5a267c8affe8c--aloy-horizon-zero-dawn.jpg

eKfAuYw.jpg

sUgYBtB.png

In the sequel when they age up her model hopefully they go a little broader with her features like her costume model.
ejXo9U4.jpg

Samikaze

Early designs for Adam Jensen in Deus Ex: Human Revolution had him looking horribly generic. So much so that they officially referred to him as "Doucehbag Adam"

deus-ex-art-book-review.jpg

Ratrat

Really disheartening to see the number of people in here who would have preferred a much more typical waifish supermodel look for Aloy as opposed to the finalized design we got. I was really impressed with Aloy not being stereotypically pretty, and that more delicate Barbie doll design is counterintuitive to the things that I think made her a decent character.
This is the same kind of nonsense we saw with the Faith design. She is still a skinny fashion model. The concept design just looks a little cartoony.

Top Bottom