• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft wants "less and less storytelling" in their games.

Which Ubisoft trend from this generation do you enjoy the most?

Results are only viewable after voting.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I only own Rayman. The last Ubi game l bought before that was Far Cry 1 on PC. 99% of their stuff is hot garbage anyway.

Raylan

Banned
In an interview for the French journal "Le Monde" , Serge Hascoët, creative director at Ubisoft for 16 years, said that they want less storytelling in their games and want to let players experience "their own story".

Kind of like emergent story telling.

They said games like Far Cry or Assassin's Creed had a lot of storytelling but that was "the usual way, the easy way" of making games and they want to end it.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...ns-en-moins-de-narration_5031610_4408996.html

I personally think it's BS and will make it easier for me to ignore their games.

Also they should look at what CD Projekt Red does and question their choices.
Yup!

Less storytelling and less singleplayer = No buy

Well personally my pet peeve with big open world games is normally the main story. Its always to long, has to much filler amd ends up being rather uninteresting.

My best example of this is gemes like oblivion and skyrim. Doing all the smaller but more interesting side missions is way more fun that the main plot. Same in witcher 3.

Give me an open world where i can go and experience lots of smaller storys and affect the world peice by peice in a manor i see fit. Then work some interesting game mechanics into that in how your actions might change the world.

Following a main story that leads you around the map for normally boring reasons just to force you to experience it needs to end. They need to give me a reason to travel somewhere other than 'this npc needs to to talk to this person here'.

However knowing ubi this means making a huge open world and filling it with icons to run to x1000 which would blow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's a shame. Stories are a very important part of engaging single player content, imo.

Despera

Banned
Personally I like the minimalist approach to storytelling. Something like Ico, SoTC, INSIDE, Journey, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc...

Otherwise if a game features a more extensive narrative it better be as creative and interesting as Silent Hill 2 for example.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I don't like their games and I don't buy their games. Guess nothing will change in that department. Thanks for letting me know Ubisoft!

Funny. I want less and less Ubisoft in my storytelling.

Far Cry 3, 4 and the more recent AC games...

Recent Raymans have like no story and they're great, though. So maybe this IS the right way to go for Ubi.

brawly

So more Division and Ghost Recon Wild Lands-esque games. No thanks.

Watch the next Far Cry be a multiplayer shooter on an island. Ugh.

Problem is that other aspects in their games are usually bad too.

They're getting better at it if R6 and FH's Alpha are anything to go by.

Not too mention Zombi U and the Rayman games I mentioned earlier. I think their more gameplay focused games are actually their best games (at least since PoP). Even FC2, which was less about the story and more about the mechanics, is testmament to this I feel.

Wildlands had a lot of potiential if they pull it off. A co-op Phantom Pain with less focus on story and a really big, varied open world. More dynamic gameplay that isn't dictated by story beats is not a bad thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Emergent storytelling is really overrated, particularly when the only stories players are able to create for themselves is finding creating ways to murder people.

Ushay

I guess I'll be buying less games from Ubi then. Story is half the reason I even buy games to begin with.

Games like Witcher 3 should be examples of successful storytelling. I like multiplayer, but it has it's place.

See I told people that nothing of value will be lost if Vivendii buys them - they are already on their way to everything wrong people expect after ownership change.

ps3ud0

So why did I climb this tower then?

Easily feels like the worst generation (so far) for my game tastes

ps3ud0 8)

Raonak

Banned
Fuck that shit.

Ubi barely offer any interesting gameplay systems in most of their openworld games.
If they removed story there would be little reason to play it outside the first couple hours.

atpbx

Ubisoft should focus on making good games again rather than the garbage they have shit out over recent years.

JackelZXA

I feel like this is a direct response to the Voice Actors' strike. I'm not opposed to the strike at all, but I predicted major games backing out of using Professional Voice Actors and relying on cutscenes so much.

Games, unlike TV, Movies, Anime, and Cartoons can get away without Actors and just telling stories in other ways and still be successful. Cutscenes and Audio Tapes and NPC's talking to you are something that a big company can decide to avoid and suffer very little.

Again, I support the strike, but I feel there is a realistic uphill battle for them that doesn't exist elsewhere. Games can get by on the things that make games unique, and I think that's exactly what Ubisoft is doing here.

I also wonder if the proliferation of cinematics in games is in part due to the cost cutting companies were getting away with, and that the strike, even if they get all they're asking for, would drive certain companies to back off on those a little.

Glass Rebel

Assassin's Creed became a parody of itself like 3 games in and it'd have been the same thing for all their long-running franchises so less of all that bullshit is an actual improvement.

On the other hand, it's not like their tower-climbing simulators offer much else of worth.

Jackano

There was another explanation for this general design a couple weeks ago after the quarterly results.

It's not so much about ditching story telling, it's about the core gameplay consisting of being immersed in open worlds where the player is doing his own adventure. The game gives you an open world, the player is doing what he wants so the story elements are more "meta".

Harmen

No storytelling, no buy. Imagine playing Assassins Creed without any character development or story events that give player reason to do anything. What are they on about? For some games this would be fine (online mp shooters, platformers like Rayman etc), but it would be extremely detrimental to some of their biggest ip's.

JackelZXA

No storytelling, no buy. Imagine playing Assassins Creed without any character development or story events that give player reason to do anything. What are they on about? For some games this would be fine (online mp shooters, platformers like Rayman etc), but it would be extremely detrimental to some of their biggest ip's.

Yeah they'd have to actually focus on game design, instead of relying on simpler gameplay being an inflation of play hours between cutscenes. Making a game that's fun to play for 20 hours without story is it's own challenge, let alone 100 hours.

There was another explanation for this general design a couple weeks ago after the quarterly results.

It's not so much about ditching story telling, it's about the core gameplay consisting of being immersed in open worlds where the player is doing his own adventure. The game gives you an open world, the player is doing what he wants so the story elements are more "meta".

Sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure how it works in practice.

Knowing Ubi, it means less focus on the main story and even more nagging UI elements telling you "Rift detected", "Crime in progress!", "Chase mission available", "[$Collectible] nearby!".

Fbh

Would be a shame if they actually made games with good stories.

But they don't so this might be better. I just hope they don't replace the time watching cutscenes with even more towers and collectables.

DevilDog

I think they want to go the Dark Souls way, in a way. Fine by me.

That's a shame. Stories are a very important part of engaging single player content, imo.

It is, but the overwhelming majority of videogame stories are trash.

What is Dark Souls about? That game engaged me in its story like no Ubisoft game has, except perhaps AC1 and 2. Maybe.

Ivan 3414

I've seen Rainbow Six Siege considered as the best shooter of the generation

So if the plan is to turn more of their IPs into online FPSs it's not all rainclouds

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ubisoft makes pretty much nothing but shit games anyway. Wouldn't want their output even if I got it for free.

Make a sequel to PoP '08, you fucking hacks.

Eh not a fan. Oh well, less games I have to worry about. Come to think of it I find myself playing a lot older games these days like Skyrim and RDR

dealer-

Would be a shame if they actually made games with good stories.

But they don't so this might be better. I just hope they don't replace the time watching cutscenes with even more towers and collectables.

Exactly, I'd be hard pressed to remember a story from a Ubisoft game. A new approach would probably benefit them but there still needs to something to hang the framework of the game on.

Yeah they'd have to actually focus on game design, instead of relying on simpler gameplay being an inflation of play hours between cutscenes. Making a game that's fun to play for 20 hours without story is it's own challenge, let alone 100 hours.

Yeah I'm trying to get into AC: Unity at the moment and the gameplay is just so dull. The premise around the French Revolution is interesting but there is nothing else there to draw me in.

Fuchsdh

That's interesting. And also worrying, as a fan of the story and series.

I feel like the Assassin's Creed story has basically gone off the rails at this point, and has done so since 3. A game that just mines the texture of a locality might do better, honestly.

Realistically how many people play a game past 20 hours, let alone 100? It might make more financial sense to build a game this way, especially if people aren't going to go back and replay it.

We always think about games like Skyrim or big multiplayer titles you sink tons of hours into (I have thousands of hours invested in the Halo series, and Steam tells me I have 1200 in Dota 2) but they're at the extreme end of the bell curve. Hell, because those aforementioned games are great the only games I tend to want to jump into are shorter ones. The time I was willing to spend 60 hours grinding through a JRPG are a decade behind me now.

I'd love to see a game where there is no main story, but one can be created due to your actions.

So like, so end up in a city rife with crime, both political and street level. If you want, you can just live your life, get a job (or not) pay bills, get into a relationship, that kind of stuff, but then you read an article on the games 'internet' that some criminal guy might be working with the cities mayor for example, and so that can be a topic to discuss with someone, or you can get in touch with the reporter. You find out a little more and investigate and the story is developed from there.

Or again you hear a conversation that some guy killed a kid and after a little digging, you find his address and become a mercenary.

Despera

Banned
Personally I like the minimalist approach to storytelling. Something like Ico, SoTC, INSIDE, Journey, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc...

Otherwise if a game features a more extensive narrative it better be as creative and interesting as Silent Hill 2 for example, or as entertaining and eccentric as Undertale.

Shredderi

I don't care about the actual story most of the time (since they kinda suck). What I care about is framework and structure. Purpose and drive. It does sound like they're not gonna actually improve mechanics but just make less meaningful content. Kinda reminds of the Dead Island 2 approach where there was supposed to be endless repeatable missions instead of a proper campaign.

KingBroly

Banned
Sounds like they want to phase out single player games for their AAA titles, because that's where a lot of the money is going.

dracula_x

Video games have such ridiculous potential as story telling vehicles because they are entirely interactive. The answer to "then why do they struggle with narratives" is not "well then lets just remove them all together".

^ yep.

also, related to this, from interview with Amy Hennig – http://www.glixel.com/interviews/amy-hennig-on-taking-star-wars-somewhere-new-w450064

Performance in games is still somewhat undervalued. This stretches back to the early days of the industry, when story was treated more as an afterthought. Gameplay, graphical fidelity, and replay value have always been thought to be more important than a great story, and this continues to be the case, at least in the world of high budget games. "The origin of our medium is engineering, so it's taken us a while to wrap our heads around the fact that we have to use the same skills as a film director when we're making games," Hennig says. She doesn't think too highly of those in the industry who feel that the focus on story is stunting the medium's growth. "The argument is that if we get too hung up on trying to recreate the language of other mediums, we're not going to discover our own... Which sounds poetic – but it's kind of dogmatic."

Top Bottom