• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Durante

Great OT. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game (in its new higher-production-value guise) does on consoles. (I hope Swen is as forthcoming with information about that as hee was on PC)

Only 6.3% of steam users ever beat the game. Lets see if it goes up with the EE.
Is that really different from other ~75 hour games though? (that's not a rhetorical question, I don't know)

Anyway, I beat it, and I don't beat many games :p

Doc_Drop

Does anyone know when the Enhanced Edition will go live on Steam in the UK? checked this morning but nothing is on there yet. Cheers

Lanrutcon

Ehhh pet pal is dumb, sneaking DOES suck (but invisiblity was OP), glass cannon was so good there is no way it wasn't nerfed, and lone wolf (while pretty neat) is probably not the way you want to go for playthrough 1.

And for god's sakes, roll an earth/fire mage with one of your starting characters. You'll think me once you get to the other side of the first town. Which is stupidly early on.

DryvBy

How close is the action to Diablo? I've never played any of these Divinity games (even though I bought most of them on Steam).

senahorse

Great OT for a fantastic game, excited for all you people that can get to play it now, looking forward to a replay myself of my 2014 GOTY.

Oh god that subtitle. I heard his voice immediately.

You guys remember how often the NPCS would talk before they patched the rate down? My god. It was funny at first... then irritating, then mind numbing, and eventually I had to turn off the NPCS voices while I was in Act 1 lol

Also, "Let's see...Halibut, sheep's cheese, tomatos!"

"Heavenly herring, delicious dog fish!"

Haha, my gf and I thought that sounded like Ayra from the GoT TV show.

aravuus

How close is the action to Diablo? I've never played any of these Divinity games (even though I bought most of them on Steam).

OS is turn-based, so not similar at all.

Kinda like Xcom, but much, much better

e: Early Divinity games were closer to Diablo though, iirc.

Durante

It's a completely different genre from Diablo. Divinity: OS is a turn-basd tactical RPG in which you control a party of 4.

Actually, the previous Divinity games are all ARPGs, so they are a bit closer to Diablo.

El-Suave

I'm getting this on PS4. Have tons of other games that compete for my time so another long RPG isn't ideal to add but since E3 I've been impressed with the thought that went into this console port. Also the dev team seems to be pretty cool people so I want to support them.

Not close. Divinity uses a turn based, action point based system. The environment also plays a much larger role in each encounter. It is slower paced but more rewarding in my opinion.

Divinity is also not really a loot pinata style of game. It is way more focused on more traditional RPG elements.

Its absolutely worth playing though. One of the best RPG's I have ever played.

BeeDog

Does anyone know if the "Last Trick Bag" bonus comes in the box or if it's a typical pre-order code sent by the retailer?

DryvBy

OS is turn-based, so not similar at all.

Kinda like Xcom, but much, much better

e: Early Divinity games were closer to Diablo though, iirc.

Oh, even better. And if I read this correctly, there's a game master / dungeon master mode, correct?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Think of it more as a turn-based game but with environmental movement. Sorta like Xenosaga 1 using AP but you move around, and environmental stuff being important (i.e. objects that can break, can set up elemental affinities, etc.)

Thinking about char creation, I'm now done reinstalling the original, I need to figure out again what I did originally for point distribution and stuff, I remember spending a stupid amount of hours rerolling until I was satisfied with my setup. Pretty sure I literally spent the first 6hours doing the same 30mins of content with various class setups and trait selection. The min maxing wasn't really that needed but it felt good, and I assume with Tactician it might actually be needed.

I guess I'll go with 4 chars though, now that I see people mentionning lonewolf I seem to remember my main playthrough was only mage+warrior with lone wolf on both to maximize stuff but it made the planning of stuff like crafting a pain in the ass.

In my veins please! Thanks Larian for gifting us the EE, I'll support you again during your next kickstarter for sure.

OP, the OT is amazing, good job!

Lanrutcon

That's for Divinity 2 as a part of the kickstarter stretch goals, I don't think there's one in the original/EE.

Divinity: OS 2. Not Divinity 2 :)

Order of release:
  1. Divine Divinity
  2. Beyond Divinity
  3. Divinity 2
  4. Divinity: Original Sin
  5. (tbr) Divinity: Original Sin 2

danowat

Banned
I never played the original, infact, I've never played a Divinity game at all before now.

I am a couple of hours into the PS4 version, and am very impressed with what I've seen so far, for once the UI and visibility of things on screen are actually good on console, too many releases seem to forget that sitting on the couch and playing a game requires a different style and look of UI, and get it wrong (I'm looking at you W3 and Wasteland), this doesn't it's really slick.

Love the graphics, love the performance, audio is great, voice acting is some of the best I've heard in a while.

Gameplay is great, combat seems simple, but with a lot of complexity if you want it, as is the crafting system, I wasn't expecting as much in the way of puzzles as I've seen so far, I guess I expected a straight turn based ARPG, but it's more than that, I also think the interplay between the protags actually makes having a partner quite a worthwhile thing, the arguments and the RPS thing all add another level to things.

The writing is brilliant, some of the dialogue is impressive, if you're on the fence, don't be, get it.

edit : BTW, great OT!

Meh can't find my saves, guess they got deleted when I uninstalled the game, games generally don't do that. Oh well reading a bit about the old posts on how to min max it's mostly coming back anyway, and without detailed patch notes I'm not sure how useful it'll be. Like in the original Scoundrel was garbage, I assume they made some changes to it which would severely impact the choices.

And yes obviously I meant Original Sin 2, not the old Divinity.

patapuf

Meh can't find my saves, guess they got deleted when I uninstalled the game, games generally don't do that. Oh well reading a bit about the old posts on how to min max it's mostly coming back anyway, and without detailed patch notes I'm not sure how useful it'll be. Like in the original Scoundrel was garbage, I assume they made some changes to it which would severely impact the choices.

And yes obviously I meant Original Sin 2, not the old Divinity.

old saves aren't compatible with the EE. You'd have to start over anyway.

old saves aren't compatible with the EE. You'd have to start over anyway.

Yeah I know, what I meant was referring to my previous post saying I reinstalled the game to see what trait/talents/skills I picked and figure out how to play this again so I don't waste several hours rerolling. Since my saves had purely min maxed characters(my clear save was basically perfect in terms of skill choices and stuff to maximize damage) it would have been kinda useful but I'm starting to remember more or less how it works and a lot of stuff probably changed anyway.

Tenebrous

What did you dislike out of interest? Maybe something GAF could help with?

Combat animations took way too long. Sitting in a fight I know I'm going to win for 10 minutes because I have to watch every enemy move slowly across the map... Zzz. It's like playing Civ without Quick Movement/Combat after playing for hundreds of hours. That can be fixed, at least.

I also hated the writing. It wasn't funny, it wasn't engrossing, it wasn't enjoyable. It was just offputting to me.

Everything else I kinda liked, though. The art is gorgeous, the combat is interesting, and the loot is fun. If those two things were changed, I'd no doubt love the game.

Serra

My GOTY of 2014. I wanna dive back in but so many other games to play...

I also hated the writing. It wasn't funny, it wasn't engrossing, it wasn't enjoyable. It was just offputting to me.

I really doubt they drastically changed the tone of the writing. The game might just not be for you.

danthefan

Combat animations took way too long. Sitting in a fight I know I'm going to win for 10 minutes because I have to watch every enemy move slowly across the map... Zzz. It's like playing Civ without Quick Movement/Combat after playing for hundreds of hours. That can be fixed, at least.

Everything else I kinda liked, though. The art is gorgeous, the combat is interesting, and the loot is fun. If those two things were changed, I'd no doubt love the game.

Fair enough, not sure much of that will change now tbh.

Maybe it's just not the game for you.

Top Bottom