• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

JesseZao

She started the guild and has a lot of shows on her new youtube channel geekandsundry...that was a really strange response to her.
Does Ryan Perez think he matters? What a baby.

Rorschach

He was doing okay until the booth babe part.

... I dunno... "Do you matter at all?" seems to cut deeper than calling you a "booth babe." Booth babes should be insulted by your comment! There's a hidden compliment in there, though. I've never been called a babe of any sort. :(

Mind you, I don't think Destructoid fired anyone because of sexist comments.

Not when Jim Sterling still works there.

wWjN3.png

Lancehead

Could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don’t seem to add anything creative to the medium.

That's just hostile and ludicrously poor way of expressing whatever he feels of her contributions. Getting fired doesn't seem unjustified.

I wouldn't consider those 'contributions'. Regardless of the quality of her voice acting, she got those roles because the devs/pubs knew people would buy it because she was in it.

Contributing would be linking to indie games that people might not know about, letting your fans know about a company going under or that Grant Kirkhope needs a job. I don't know if she does any of this as I don't follow her, and she's not obliged to do it, but I would say that her getting picked up to do voice acting based on her popularity is not contributing.

She is pretty involved in promoting gaming in general, I'm not much of a fan of her but I do appreciate the positive work people like her and Wil Wheton (who I can't stand) do for the industry, promotion-wise.

zroid

Banned
it's totally weird that Jim Sterling actually said that stuff. Was it a while ago? Even so, pretty weird.

I listen to the Destructoid podcast and if anything he's more of a feminist than a sexist. And his wife is, like, a serious feminist.

antonz

It comes down to the fact of numbers. People on twitter who were making a very big deal out of this all have multi millions of followers.
So the expressed outrage reaches the eyes of millions of people who then get offended

Neiteio

Yeah. I don't disagree with his question, but he didn't need to personally demean her.
Exactly. You can question the value of one's work -- all creative endeavors are put out there for the armchair critics to critique (I personally don't like calling anything Day does "creative," for example) -- but no need to be mean.

That being said, firing this guy and not Sterling seems like a double standard. Should've warned him instead, since it seems like the first time he's done this.

Dimorphic

He's tweeting an apology now;

@feliciaday I have a lot of explaining to do, but I'll try to keep it to a few posts. Warning: It's fuckin' stupid, as I've come to accept.

@feliciaday First: Friday night, I was very, very drunk. As YouTube has proven, drunk people act without thinking, which is what I did.

@feliciaday Two: Even more stupid, I'm new to Twitter as of this month, and genuinely thought @ messages went to those individuals only.

EDIT

@feliciaday Three: I really had no idea who you are (until now, anyhow). Thankfully, your fans filled me in ... kinda.

EDIT 2

@feliciaday What I said was stupid, ignorant, and I am truly ashamed of myself. I don't know you at all, so what I said was 100% wrong.

Cartman86

Banned
Is he a Catholic?

I took this as a dig at Sterling who constantly shits on religion. Or perhaps he sees a general disdain for a being no one knows exists and an institution that has controversial political and social policies. Shitting on these things is totally the same as shitting on a real person for nothing right?

Nibel

wWjN3.png

It's Jim Sterling - their most known writer. Of course they won't fire him.

I still think that firing that dude just because of one snarky comment is way too much. Bu whatever, white knights!

truth be told, outside of hearing the name mentioned (on maybe G4,Spike or maybe a podcasts) , I have not a single clue who she is.

EDIT: After google and seing nothing but a ton of headshots and looking at her imdp listings, I suppose she's a C list actress with some decent VA credits in a few games.

Dimorphic

I love how his "extended apology" just sounds like a backhanded insult.

EDIT (maybe not)

@feliciaday What I said was stupid, ignorant, and I am truly ashamed of myself. I don't know you at all, so what I said was 100% wrong.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
@feliciaday Three: I really had no idea who you are (until now, anyhow). Thankfully, your fans filled me in ... kinda.
If he had no idea who she was then why did he post the question in the first place? What a shitty excuse.

Card Boy

Banned

wWjN3.png

Destructoid has even more less relevancy if they fire Jim Stirling. Noone gives a shit about the other writers. Jims trolls are what makes Destructoid worth it.

I can actually sorta kinda see where he is coming from, but he sealed his fate with the booth babe comment.

Felicia Day is an actress whose big break was expressing her WoW-related opinions and stories. Her success is organic based around that, and she has been surfing on a wave of fanfare ever since her WoW blog days / The Guild. More than that, she has made good business deals in securing that The Guild made it onto Xbox Live as a downloadable series - I'm not that big of a fan of Day, or of The Guild, but to equate her to being basically a 'Booth Babe' is insulting and absurd.

As for what she has contributed to "gaming" culture? No, I don't think she's contributed that much - but she's an actress who knows how to captivate a certain audience's attention and she plays her parts well enough to find success in a wide variety of projects that all have ties to either "gaming" or "nerd" culture. She has done well for herself and has played her hand quite well, and that's no reason to insult her.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It comes down to the fact of numbers. People on twitter who were making a very big deal out of this all have multi millions of followers.
So the expressed outrage reaches the eyes of millions of people who then get offended

I don't think this blew up until Veronica Belmont remarked about it. After all, this guy's tweets were made over 24 hours ago and it only came to light a few hours ago. Which means Felicia Day didn't say anything about it so clearly she ignored it.

kXkwi.jpg

dabig2

I cannot believe it is 2012 and people still cannot fucking figure out what to say and what not to say on twitter/facebook.

Man, I wish there was a way we can compile statistics on how many people have lost jobs or been fined for the dumb shit they've said on FaceBook and Twitter. My goodness.

Snowman

It's Jim Sterling - their most known writer. Of course they won't fire him.

I still think that firing that dude just because of one snarky comment is way too much. Bu whatever, white knights!

I bet they would if he publicly insulted someone with millions of fans.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Firing the dude is more than a little extreme, even if his tweet was unnecessarily rude.

And frankly, I don't know why anyone gives a shit about Felicia Day, either.

So, Destructoid just fired the one journalist who could have actually told me something interesting. Great job!

NNVG168751-03.jpg

When will the haters?

They can come for her when they've produced anything as remotely entertaining as The Guild.

Until then, take a seat and shut the fuck up.

NateDrake

I don't think this blew up until Veronica Belmont remarked about it. After all, this guy's tweets were made over 24 hours ago and it only came to light a few hours ago. Which means Felicia Day didn't say anything about it so clearly she ignored it.

All it takes is one person to turn something into a major issue, as was shown here. His wording and the topic is sensitive, so it led to chaos once people caught wind of it.

zroid

Banned
See i don't even know who that is, and i bet the vast majority of other people don't aswell. I know Kotaku's writers and thats saying something.

That's too bad, he's one of my favourite people in the games press. Awesome dude.

Rorschach

Sadly, this has opened the floodgates. Now everybody is attacking poor Felicia.

7lrpsxz

I remember the outrage over this was not the attack on the member by Jeff Bell, but the fact that Jeff Bell was "outed." Thinking back, it's just as bad as asking you if you matter at all. It's almost the exact same thing, but with different wording!

Mzo

He's not wrong, but could have handled it better.

I just noticed that she has one of those names where you have to say the first and last name every time. I bet even her mother calls her Felicia Day.

I forgot that she was one of the slayer candidates way back when in Buffy. Crisis averted, she is cool again.

I only just had my GAF account authorized a couple days ago, so I apologize if I'm just popping "out of the blue."

I'm an editor for Destructoid, and Ryan Perez was an intern who we brought on recently. I met him during E3, and he's a great guy. I'm not defending what he said to Felicia Day, because it was terrible no matter how you slice it. However, I don't believe Ryan fancies himself extra special just because he's a games blogger. He honestly was not familiar with Felicia Day's body of work, her name came up in a discussion with his friends, then he jumped onto Twitter before thinking about his actions clearly. An unfortunate decision that cost him, but I don't think less of him. He leaped before he looked, is all.

So yes, this whole affair was rather disappointing, but he really isn't the self-important misogynist that he's been painted as on Twitter.

web01

The guy kind of has a point she is popular for being a good looking gamer girl
and making some crappy online show. I highly doubt she would have became as popular as she did if it was not for her looks.

He shouldn't have been fired for that. In fact, he kind of has a point. As usual, a complete overreaction to a stupid comment. I thought his response to getting canned was witty and hilarious.

Top Bottom