• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

BRD is gonna be my first alt class. How's SAM? I'm considering leveling that after BRD.

Well it's all subjective obviously but I liked SAM a lot too, I didn't think I'd like it but it becomes really fun once you hit 62. 50-62 was pretty meh(although if you do everything in potd it's not very long anyway).

One thing that's really cool about it is the mobility, unlike most melees, you have an on demand jump back and charge and while you don't want to be spamming them, they're still not much of a potency loss(the jump back is actually a potency gain assuming you have to spend an entire GCD out of range). Compared to how crappy Shukuchi still is, how limited MNK charge is, only DRG kinda feels almost as good by using the jump back move now that it's only on 30secs cd(but it's still not as good as moving back, then instantly charging back in, which for DRG is tied to oGCD you want to be using on cooldown so you can only go one way).

Honestly wish they had improved mobility for melee classes in general with 4.0. Riddle of Wind being a forward charge similar to the SAM charge in pvp(but without the targetting preferably) would be great for example, instead of the garbage it is now. And Shukuchi could really use some faster animation/movement, similar to the changes to Aether Manipulation for BLMs. Melees have to move around a lot to avoid mechanics and it sucks that most of them are penalized pretty heavily for it. Also a ranged attack for MNK to pull stuff when soloing and what not. There's plenty of useless skills like One Ilm Punch and Fist of the Destroyer they could replace, MNK is one of the classes with the least amount of actives anyway, feels bad they don't get nice QoL skills to use.

Squishy3

Good BLMs know the fight by the back of their hands and have triplecast/firestarter/thundercloud proc/swiftcast for movement, and half the time you get more thundercloud procs than you ever want to use because you're in the middle of an astral fire cycle and it doesn't need to be refreshed yet. only exception is stuff like mindjack but everybody gets robbed of uptime by mindjack so it's not exactly a BLM exclusive problem

yaffi

98Y0MqY.jpg
moSVzil.jpg
dLTxWTT.jpg
9frdN49.jpg

I don't do glamour very often, but I kinda like how my PLD turned out.

Epcott

Question, is it possible to world transfer to Ultros? I have a lvl 50 toon on Excalibur I'd like to bring over, but it's not even giving me the option to select Ultros in the MogStation selection screen. Unfortunately, I deleted my existing Ultros character to make room for it 😵 and now it appears that I can't even make the jump.

mcw

Question, is it possible to world transfer to Ultros? I have a lvl 50 toon on Excalibur I'd like to bring over, but it's not even giving me the option to select Ultros in the MogStation selection screen. Unfortunately, I deleted my existing Ultros character to make room for it 😵 and now it appears that I can't even make the jump.

I did it last weekend.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I did it in June. Didn't have any problem at all.

Apoptomon

Ultros is not a 'congested world', so it's not locked. You might have to try at a quiet time of day. You can check this lodestone page for a rough idea of what servers are open or closed at a given time.

Squishy3

Ultros is not a 'congested world', so it's not locked. You might have to try at a quiet time of day. You can check this lodestone page for a rough idea of what servers are open or closed at a given time.
He's trying to transfer a character, which shouldn't be affected by that. Dunno why it's not showing up for him, maybe just try typing Ultros in the dropdown box, looking at the transfer page all the worlds are out of order.

Apoptomon

He's trying to transfer a character, which shouldn't be affected by that. Dunno why it's not showing up for him, maybe just try typing Ultros in the dropdown box, looking at the transfer page all the worlds are out of order.

Oh derp :( At least the first part stands true (congested would be locked for everyone, which Ultros is not).

Melees got free sprint on top of other extra mobility stuff, they really don't need more of it.

They got sprint like everyone, but sprint is still worse as a melee because you have to move out of aoes, then back into melee range. Ranged generally only have to move one way, then stand wherever they moved and keep DPSing(or keep dpsing regardless if MCH/BRD). Instant or near instant movement is a lot more valuable than sprint for short movement too, sprint is great when you have to run fairly long distance(dropping lightning across the chasm or running back after kb on susano for example), not so great when you just have to run in and out quickly, the time gained becomes minimal and the cooldown isn't really that short.

The "other extra mobility" only affected NIN and DRG, and only slightly, NIN can reset Shukuchi with 2mudra ninjutsus, but Shukuchi was already super specific in its usage due to horrible animation lock on it and 2mudras ninjutsus aren't that common due to GCD clipping and DRG got their backward jump reduced to 30secs cd which is great but it still has a fair amount of animation lock to it unless you need to full distance jump(you rarely do). MNK got nothing(I mean riddle of wind, but that's basically nothing). It's jarring when you compare to SAM movement. More options would be good.

Apoptomon

Any cool dances I can learn by doing a simple quest? It pains me that the Eastern dance is mogstation only.

Have you already done the Lvl 15-ish quests in the 3 main cities for the basic Harvest (Gridania), Ball (Ul'dah), and Step (Limsa) dances? At higher levels there's also Manderville from Hildibrand quests (50), or Moogle, Sundrop, and Moon dances from HW beast tribes (60). Obviously though these high level ones aren't simple to obtain.

Squishy3

They got sprint like everyone, but sprint is still worse as a melee because you have to move out of aoes, then back into melee range. Ranged generally only have to move one way, then stand wherever they moved and keep DPSing(or keep dpsing regardless if MCH/BRD). Instant or near instant movement is a lot more valuable than sprint for short movement too, sprint is great when you have to run fairly long distance(dropping lightning across the chasm or running back after kb on susano for example), not so great when you just have to run in and out quickly, the time gained becomes minimal and the cooldown isn't really that short.

The "other extra mobility" only affected NIN and DRG, and only slightly, NIN can reset Shukuchi with 2mudra ninjutsus, but Shukuchi was already super specific in its usage due to horrible animation lock on it and 2mudras ninjutsus aren't that common due to GCD clipping and DRG got their backward jump reduced to 30secs cd which is great but it still has a fair amount of animation lock to it unless you need to full distance jump(you rarely do). MNK got nothing(I mean riddle of wind, but that's basically nothing). It's jarring when you compare to SAM movement. More options would be good.
Elusive Jump is super useful in Omega Savage (and Susano) for uptime purposes and I'm actually amazed it still has the enmity reduction on it with a 30s cooldown.

Shukuchi is bad because it has to be ground targeted and has the animation lock, it should probably honestly just behave like Elusive Jump (x distance in front of you instead of behind) or Aetherial Manipulation, don't have a ground target requirement on top of the animation lock.

B.K.

Have you already done the Lvl 15-ish quests in the 3 main cities for the basic Harvest (Gridania), Ball (Ul'dah), and Step (Limsa) dances? At higher levels there's also Manderville from Hildibrand quests (50), or Moogle, Sundrop, and Moon dances from HW beast tribes (60). Obviously though these high level ones aren't simple to obtain.

I wonder when we're going to get the chicken dance.

http://i.imgur.com/M3CFRly.gif

Astral

I have the Harvest one but not the other two. I've seen the Ball one and I don't like it. I'll look into the Step. I've never really done any beast tribe quests.

Elusive Jump is super useful in Omega Savage (and Susano) for uptime purposes and I'm actually amazed it still has the enmity reduction on it with a 30s cooldown.
Yeah, Elusive gets a shitton of mileage in Savage, specially v1 and 3. It basically lets you never have to hold onto Spineshatter for movement.

Squishy3

I wonder when we're going to get the chicken dance.

http://i.imgur.com/M3CFRly.gif
I've been all about this dance ever since it showed up in the zone exploration video before launch. I kinda hope they go differently with the daily quests added in patches, I totally want the Azim Steppe expanded on and Au'Ra tribe daily quests would be a good way to do that. Considering there's also only the two beast tribes in Stormblood (Kojin and Ananta) there's a missing third one. The Qiqirn are present in The Peaks, but they're bloodthirsty and murderous and they don't have a Primal. (Yet?) You also only see one friendly one for a sidequest, whereas for the most part everything that's been added as beast tribes appeared in the MSQ at one point.

You could make an argument that the Au'Ra should be the crafting one, even, and the goal is to eventually repair the Dusk Throne.

Epcott

Thanks guys, was able to transfer. Maybe I just needed to wait a few hours for the servers to acknowledge I deleted my old Ultros character. Now I just need to remember how to join the GAF free company. I don't think I'll ever take a 3 year break from an MMO again, amnesia sucks.

Is it worth paying to skip ARR's post original campaign to get to HW asap?

I'm not thrilled about the idea of being roadblocked by dungeon queues that nobody wants to do.

B.K.

Is it worth paying to skip ARR's post original campaign to get to HW asap?

No. The lead-in to Heavensward is the best part of A Realm Reborn, and maybe the entire game. It's worth it to go through it. Even if you do get stuck in a dungeon, if you're on Ultros, you can ask people in GAF to go through it with you, even if you have to go undersized. I can't think of any ARR dungeon that two people couldn't do, especially with one 60-70.

LordKasual

Banned
"She did things with her tongue you wouldn't even believe."

Geez imperial. Do tell.

there's sexual references like all over the place in this game lol

they really should probably give the savage mounts unique actions. classical elements would be a tad overkill but you should at least be able to use clamp or something.

screw the mounts

why on earth don't the primal weapons have glows anymore??????????????

No. The lead-in to Heavensward is the best part of A Realm Reborn, and maybe the entire game. It's worth it to go through it. Even if you do get stuck in a dungeon, if you're on Ultros, you can ask people in GAF to go through it with you, even if you have to go undersized. I can't think of any ARR dungeon that two people couldn't do, especially with one 60-70.

It always seems like I'm never on the right server lol. But no, I'm on an Asia server.

My main concern is there would be no one willing to do these old assed quests when I queue for them, and I'll end up being roadblocked again- which was the main reason I had stopped the first time.

Squishy3

why on earth don't the primal weapons have glows anymore??????????????
they'll add crafted versions in a later patch that require a drop from the primals to make, they did it for the initial 3 released in heavensward and i imagine the warring triad are going to be the next batch to get them? unless they just skip em.

It always seems like I'm never on the right server lol. But no, I'm on an Asia server.

My main concern is there would be no one willing to do these old assed quests when I queue for them, and I'll end up being roadblocked again- which was the main reason I had stopped the first time.

There shouldn't be anything related to the main story that should roadblock you. Finding people to do optional content with may be difficult, but the main story stuff should always have some people in queue via the roulette

There shouldn't be anything related to the main story that should roadblock you. Finding people to do optional content with may be difficult, but the main story stuff should always have some people in queue via the roulette

It happened during the final raid dungeons for MSQ, whether it was as a DPS or Tank i couldn't get any party going. It was pretty frustrating. Somehow managed to clear it during one of the free weekend periods, but that was months and months later.

It happened during the final raid dungeons for MSQ, whether it was as a DPS or Tank i couldn't get any party going. It was pretty frustrating. Somehow managed to clear it during one of the free weekend periods, but that was months and months later.

Raid dungeons? Is that the 8 man raid dungeons? I do that stuff daily. Maybe the game didn't have the roulette for that when you were playing. They do have that now. To the best of my knowledge, everything MSQ related is in a roulette of some form, so queues shouldn't be unreasonably long for that.

Gator86

I wouldn't say he is, considering there are long stretches of time where you are actively progressing the plot when he's not around. Heck I would argue the NPC main character of ARR is Jeff Bridges Cid, and in Havensward Aymeric and in Stormblood is Lyse, while the twins are around they never seem like they are the ones pushing the plot forward like other characters are. They are usually exposition dumps. I guess you could say alisae is the main character of coils?

Though Can I ask, what would you rather be done than the twins?

I don't have an immediately better solution at all. They're not terrible, just not interesting either. They just kind of seem like they're there because of reasons whereas the other characters are interesting and have some purpose.

Unrelated Stormblood spoilers
I can't believe they build you up as the Warrior of Light and Slayer of Dragons throughout ARR and HW just to have you job to Zenos. That was real bad. They should have come up with a less awful way to make him menacing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Good BLMs know the fight by the back of their hands and have triplecast/firestarter/thundercloud proc/swiftcast for movement, and half the time you get more thundercloud procs than you ever want to use because you're in the middle of an astral fire cycle and it doesn't need to be refreshed yet. only exception is stuff like mindjack but everybody gets robbed of uptime by mindjack so it's not exactly a BLM exclusive problem

No such thing, you always want to use Thundercloud now.

this game gives the worst impression in the morning hours. there is always a bot sitting in the main cities crystal, spamming ads. another near the market board. sometimes invisible.

you can also catch groups of bots flying between black brush station and some quest npcs. there is lots of jumping and flying involved, it looks really dumb. it's good hw and sb are still closed off to them. the bot networks aren't buying jump potions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, my girlfriend's GPU just up and quit. So, need a replacement on the cheap. Think a 1050 Ti 3GB will handle the game pretty well? Was hoping her rig would hold out until we could get her a proper upgrade but...oh well.

Astral

Jesus. Shinryu is supposed to be hard right?

EDIT: 5th time's the charm. At the end there I only died a couple of times because I was blind and fell to my death trying to avoid an AoE and another time because I accidentally flicked the stick during Diamond Dust.

iammeiam

O4S is still the weirdest fight for the way it has periods of insane damage followed by the boss AFKing to contemplate existence. There's a lot about the design I really like--it has some binary pass/fail stuff--Grand Cross being split damage meaning you need to have people up for it, I don't think HP will reach a point where double fire 3 on a squishy DPS due to a missing body will be OK this tier without some panicked healing, the aggro resets hopefully enforce collaboration between tanks and healers beyond HEALERS, ADJUST, but they keep it from being too punishing because the encounter overall is super forgiving (relatively lenient DPS check, long breaks in the damage to let rezzing happen, healer LB3ing being a totally viable Omega recovery option since no weakness) and once you get used to the overall pattern it's fairly streamlined. The usage of normal Exdeath up front is even pretty smart, because it takes the most RNG/flexibility-testing aspect of the fight (Black Hole's spawn patterns) and splits it off so you only have to successfully execute once per lockout. Neo himself is extremely scripted and while there's a ton of debuffs flying around at any given time, there's usually only two options for any specific player at any time.

But jesus is it a mess of mechanics at first. It's probably the ultimate evolution of the Thordan-style fight; I'm curious to see how they cap the next tier off given how this went.

Astral

So now that I beat the story, I need to gear up right? I should grind for Ala Mhigan gear which is ilevel 310 I believe. Weapons, accessories, everything? Do I need to augment it as well? And after that I move on to Lost Allagan gear which looks expensive as all hell and will take weeks to get wtf. So again, weapons, accessories, everything right? And then augment them. Finally, with all of that Augmented Allagan gear, I move on to Savage content. Is this all correct?

Ken

So now that I beat the story, I need to gear up right? I should grind for Ala Mhigan gear which is ilevel 310 I believe. Weapons, accessories, everything? Do I need to augment it as well? And after that I move on to Lost Allagan gear which looks expensive as all hell and will take weeks to get wtf. So again, weapons, accessories, everything right? And then augment them. Finally, with all of that Augmented Allagan gear, I move on to Savage content. Is this all correct?

you can also do normal omega for in between gear

scy

Sort of but not quite? You can do a lot of them at the same time (earning Verity for the i310 stuff will also get you Creation for the i330 stuff, for instance) and then there's Omega Normal and crafted gear for i320. Savage gear is i340 and is pretty accessible for i320 range, at least O1S/O2S PFs anyway. The Lost Allagan stuff getting augmented to i340 requires raid drops from Savage too so that's not really interim gearing concerns.

So, basically work towards i310 gear so you can get i320/i330 pieces and then tackle Savage as your ilvl allows for PFs, basically. Your final gear set for this tier of content will eventually be a mix of Augmented Lost Allagan and Genji gear for i340 and it is expected to take many weeks to get there, which is mostly fine since the tier has another like ~4 months to it.

Basically, you'll get to i320-ish range pretty fast and then you'll slowly work your way up to i330, i340.

there's so much shielding and topping off and healing and oh my god

I can't give any specifics for shielding advice but, for me at least on WHM, the fight was a lot easier to approach once I stopped worrying about Exdeath from a "keep people from dying" perspective. That is, I only really focused on being worried for White Hole-related healing rather than a constant fear of people dropping dead outright? So no panic healing so much as what's needed to survive and placing our cooldowns for getting people to full.

Personally, placing where I wanted Plenary (I use it for the Vacuum Wave section along with Surecast) and Swiftcast/Assize/Asylum (Black Hole Holy/Flare -> White Hole) were among the bigger deals. That and learning that getting AH shields + Medica 2 up as Black Hole damage went out meant no real healing needed until the stack time made Black Hole #1 a lot simpler too.

Kudo

We're trying to prog through Exdeath

healing

is

fucking

killing

me

there's so much shielding and topping off and healing and oh my god

Just have everyone full at all times, otherwise they'll be dead once the next attack comes.
Easier said than done, I know
Not sure if you meant Neo but I guess it applies for Ex too as not having everyone full for White Hole will drain your dps and if your group isn't organized it can be tough at first.

Village

So i'm going through tho the scholiaste or whatever its called quests finally because I learned you get a dope colorable jacket out of

And this shit so far seems very uh... poingant to current poltical goings on in the real world

I can't say so far...well I have an issue with these people, wanting to tear down statues , I have a moral issue with the book burning because that shit can go down hill real quick, as far them hating the people who have essentially used religion to be classist and racist to profit off of the poor and live in the life of luxury for a religion that is revealed to be a complete falsehood.

And the schoolwhatever people are like " but.. we feel REALLY sorry about it" don't feel sorry about it , do something. Like maybe this shit changes and their is some actual reflection or the antagonist as of currently becomes more evil or something.

But as of currently, shit seems hella tonedeaf.

Like its like ya'll still even after all the dragonsong shit are living up in the pillars like shits ok. Ya'll got a lot of positions open in ya'lls army because dragons killed a bunch of em and they got ran the fuck out of town because people were pissed right? You got a lot of young men who want to make their lives better and change the government they live in right? Give em some military jobs, training, incorporate them into government , give em a place at the table. But don't just be like " oh well were sorry please don't be angry" and then be confused when these folks desire the destruction of tomes and statues that are monuments to their oppression. Especially you got mother fuckers in your church library calling folks lowborn when ya'll now realize that non of you mother fuckers are special a all.

Maybe this story gets better, its just really fucking weird right now

I don't have an immediately better solution at all. They're not terrible, just not interesting either. They just kind of seem like they're there because of reasons whereas the other characters are interesting and have some purpose.

Unrelated Stormblood spoilers
I can't believe they build you up as the Warrior of Light and Slayer of Dragons throughout ARR and HW just to have you job to Zenos. That was real bad. They should have come up with a less awful way to make him menacing.

I liked that? He's like virgil, you get stronger and stronger and then you beat him.
I'm not judging you, I don't need my main character to be the coolest and strongest and get all the girlfriends all the time. If he gets beat up , just make it convincing and they did.
I feel like " jobbing " has become an obsession with people and now people , not you in particularly , are kind of loosing the value of a character...well loosing

Top Bottom