• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Other than trolling, I don't understand the CR business model for anime on Steam.

I really don't get the idea of paying a fixed price for temporary access to a stream for a show. Now selling subs within Steam, I'd get that. Or selling episodes you could download ala iTunes or Google Play.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really don't get the idea of paying a fixed price for temporary access to a stream for a show. Now selling subs within Steam, I'd get that. Or selling episodes you could download ala iTunes or Google Play.
Steam used to sell downloads of movies, but went to streaming instead. So you're basically buying a streaming movie that's DRMed with Steam...
Then again, I guess people rent movies via Google and Apple.

Narag

Don't think the streams you buy expire so might be nice to get a particular show you like there without fear of it being kicked off CR someday. Alternatively, you might want to have access to the show without having to keep your CR membership going.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't think the streams you buy expire so might be nice to get a particular show you like there without fear of it being kicked off CR someday. Alternatively, you might want to have access to the show without having to keep your CR membership going.
I wonder if Valve has promised that videos will still be in your account after the publisher loses the rights, like with games that have been delisted.

I'm talking about, you know, authorities. The one teacher you get in the "prequel" (or One Shot, based on the manga) is pretty terrible. But then again I've read that schools don't really have guidance counselors or mental health professionals, so yeah. It's more a larger comment about a society where suicide is rampant enough where there's an actual "suicide forest" and no one seems to know what to do about it.

In an ideal world, both kids would have gotten actual intervention instead of pity for Nishimiya and being turned into a pariah for Ishida.

I would say parents are authority figures, at least in their own child's life, but I understand what you're saying. There's no question that the teacher's handling of the entire situation with Shoko was poor and there's no evidence of educational institutions being properly equipped to handle students with disabilities or matters of classroom bullying.

Well, that's my problem - with K-On, Yoshida/Yamada clearly knew to throw out the manga and just do whatever they wanted to do. They could have done the same and cut several characters. At best, you could keep Ishida's "BFF" to show him making a friend, and Ueno to show a spectre of his past haunting him. Characters like Sasahara add nothing to the film and are there because they were in the manga.

I would disagree that Sahara added nothing to the film; as few scenes as she had, she provided a good perspective on someone who was trying to be kind and reach out to others but wasn't able to stand up against the onslaught of her peers in the way she wanted. The scene where Shoko tells her that even if she hadn't yet been able to change, "You can change from now on," is one of my favorite in the entire film, and a way of driving home the central theme of the constant striving for personal change even when it seems impossible.

Kawai's boyfriend is the only side character who didn't seem to have any major individual purpose in the film, owing mainly to his absence from the childhood portion of the story, but that's not a big deal from my perspective. I think it's OK if there are some characters in a film who don't have their own character arcs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would disagree that Sahara added nothing to the film; as few scenes as she had, she provided a good perspective on someone who was trying to be kind and reach out to others but wasn't able to stand up against the onslaught of her peers in the way she wanted. The scene where Shoko tells her that even if she hadn't yet been able to change, "You can change from now on," is one of my favorite in the entire film, and a way of driving home the central theme of the constant striving for personal change even when it seems impossible.
The part where she goes apologizing to everyone didn't work for me in the film because it felt like they were just plot devices to enable Nishimiya's growth and healing.

I don't think you even really get a full understanding of why Ueno cares about Ishida, to the point of being allowed to basically stand by his bedside and guard his room from outsiders. Heck, the first time Ishida's mom meets Ueno, she's beating the shit out of Nishimiya and her mom, so why would she let her stay with Ishida every day?

Kawai's boyfriend is the only side character who didn't seem to have any major individual purpose in the film, owing mainly to his absence from the childhood portion of the story, but that's not a big deal from my perspective. I think it's OK if there are some characters in a film who don't have their own character arcs.
His arc fits in with the rest of the other characters in terms of the social isolation they all feel and adds a different perspective, particularly since he's the outsider who can see the dynamics of the group. You get a tiny bit of that with the bridge scene, but if you deleted him it probably wouldn't have changed the film all that much.

There was also that bit where Ueno forces Ishida to meet with the other kid that they used to hang out with in elementary school that is also underdeveloped and serves to only further Ishida's character. Which may be fine, but knowing that he has an arc too doesn't help.

I think you could probably contract the cast to Ishida and Nishimiya's families and you'd have a much stronger film.

Taruranto

Bahamut #12

You know, they keep saying "humans have forsaken the Gods", but isnt that just Cheerio's kingdom? What's the rest of the planet doing?

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 13
7iMPnHBl.jpg

Has a character ever known himself as well as Bakugo? I think not.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 13:

Pretty much a set up episode for the next arc though we also get some bits of the mundane segments of the Hero business, like coming up with your own call sign.

Jintor

MHA s2 e13

ms midnight demonstrating even though her dress attire is not worksafe appropriate she's still, weirdly, kind of a good teacher
young midoriya in the all might hoody and young dekumom oh my godddddd
deku reclaiming his name

did kirishima seem a bit more offmodel than usual this ep? something about his nose

interestingly even though the animation budget has dived again the improved direction is fobbing most of that off.

iida faceeeee! feels like they stole a bit of music design from nier, lol. probably just the vocals.

Kado 11

So her hand teleports and is used to touch his manly body inside his clothing..
Mmm I think I saw that idea before.
In a hentai.

And that shitty joke is the only good thing worth mentioning of this episode. The whole 'let's combat/negotiate him' is awful, like the romantic scene. And of course we finally have here the factory of ep 0 appearing. Series jumped the shark a pair of episodes ago and now we see the blood appear on the surface.

And why all the women in this series are so tiny?
Or is he that big?

The part where she goes apologizing to everyone didn't work for me in the film because it felt like they were just plot devices to enable Nishimiya's growth and healing.

All the characters have sufficiently distinct personalities and desires that it's not appropriate to consider them nothing but plot devices.

I don't think you even really get a full understanding of why Ueno cares about Ishida, to the point of being allowed to basically stand by his bedside and guard his room from outsiders. Heck, the first time Ishida's mom meets Ueno, she's beating the shit out of Nishimiya and her mom, so why would she let her stay with Ishida every day?

I thought it was pretty clear why Ueno cares about Ishida - the two of them were the cool kids in the elementary school classroom until Shoko came in and ruined everything.

His arc fits in with the rest of the other characters in terms of the social isolation they all feel and adds a different perspective, particularly since he's the outsider who can see the dynamics of the group. You get a tiny bit of that with the bridge scene, but if you deleted him it probably wouldn't have changed the film all that much.

There was also that bit where Ueno forces Ishida to meet with the other kid that they used to hang out with in elementary school that is also underdeveloped and serves to only further Ishida's character. Which may be fine, but knowing that he has an arc too doesn't help.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. I can understand being frustrated that parts of the manga you really liked are absent from the film, but I don't think their omission/contraction materially hurts the film on its own merits.

I think you could probably contract the cast to Ishida and Nishimiya's families and you'd have a much stronger film.

I'm sure you could make a strong film like that, but it would have to be a very different one from the one that Yamada made. The entire trajectory of the film is from Shoya feeling isolated and worthless at the start to the incredible catharsis of the final scene at the school festival where he drops his defenses, truly looks at all the people around them, and sees both that he is not alone and that the world is truly beautiful. If Shoko and her sister were the only people Shoya interacted with over the course of that film, that catharsis and revelation would not work. You'd need some different kind of dramatic arc in that case.

Wait if the next cour starts on the 8th, is there not a new ep next week?

That is correct.

-Minsc-

Speaking of anime, I finally watched something so my streak of watching something every season is still alive.
Yeah it's Koe no Katachi, but whatever. lol

First and foremost, and this has nothing to do with the film itself, but teachers must be horrible people if they fail their charges in such tremendous fashion. I think I'm more sensitive to it now than when I first read the manga a couple of years ago, because there was just another teen suicide in Canada a few days ago due in large part to online bullying. (What's worse is that this is the THIRD teen suicide in the school district for the year, so teachers in the entire city are failing to properly support their students).

The manga is about the children coming to terms with their own isolation, but the adults are just terrible and I almost wonder if their complete absence from the text is in and of itself a condemnation of a social system that chooses to ignore those who "make trouble". Hell, you basically have two characters who consistently skip school and no one seems to care.

With the internet today I have to wonder if the current Monday-Friday public system is become more of a burden than a help. I can understand the need for a public place of gathering for children but I have to wonder if children are being too overwhelmed. Home schooling is sounding like something that makes more and more sense today. Obviously not for everyone, but likely a benefit for many.

pbayne

One episode into GLOW and its already better than like the last 20 episodes of tiger mask. And i like tiger mask but sorry mate this other shows stealing your thunder.

Edit: Holy fuck second episode and they're doing miscarriage story-lines. Confirmed best wrasslin show. Get fucked ibushi.

phaze

Virgin Soul 12
028863e8uxi.jpg
028869ifuij.jpg

SARABA CHIKYUU

This was pretty alright actually, the battle montage in particular.

It's high time we got something on the origins of these Onyx powers and Charioce Gattaing with his spiral mecha seems like a good occasion to throw us something on that subject.

petran79

Banned
After so many years, decided to watch the original Eureka Seven, followed by Blue Gender.
I remember watching the first episode 4 years ago but probably I was not in the mood for anime and dropped it. Now I found it amazing and will watch the whole series, even if the second part is not as good I heard.

As for Blue Gender, even watching the JP/EN OP is enough to convince me

Only mecha fans make the best recommendations....

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Ep 13

Tiny Deku's hero names were absolutely adorable. I can't wait for this arc to fully get going. Stain is such a cool villain.

It's a bit of a shame it's taken over halfway through the show to get to this point, because the setup for the rest of it is legitimately interesting. The idea of
creating a publisher-approved crossover with all the main players so they can create a world where they have a fighting against Altair is quite clever, and might lead to some fun at the industry's expense, which I wouldn't mind.

That said, one thing they introduced here doesn't make much sense to me.
Why is Altair able to get powers from fan creations that are shared on the Internet? If it's because her creator's dead, wouldn't it stand to reason that any creation who's creator died could receive the same advantage, even though Megane doesn't appear to have gained anything by killing her creator as of yet?
It may be a bit of an stretch to make that her power and no one else's, but I won't complain since there's sign of actual progress and interesting ideas going forward.

That said,
no one had anything awful to say to Sota about what he did? I mean, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, but all they had to say was "what you did was bad, but maybe, in your position, I might've done the same thing..." Come on, I don't care how remorseful he seemed, he deserved a lot more flak than that for ignoring pleas for help from a girl who liked him until she committed suicide out of nothing more than jealousy for her talent.

Re:Creators 12
Another episode of Meteora repeating what we know and stretching it over most of the episode. At least Alice got somewhat developed after all her stupid choices, and their final plans for a big battle are set.

After credits scene was good too.

Kado 10-11

On the one hand I don't mind my ship sailing, but on the other one million ansitropic hands fuck everything about where this show went.

I hope the negotiation in the final episode is just a dragon ball z style fight because fuck it why not it's anime.

My Hero Academia Episode 26: I really love these breather slice-of-life moments in the series because Class 1A is really charming. I love how the series made something is mundane is picking codenames as a perfect opportunity to flesh out the personalities of the students.

Shokugeki no Soma Epiosde 15: I dug it. I like how Soma's overconfidence in thinking outside of the box almost bit him in the ass here. I kind of wish the series would've adapted to this flaw in his character more, but I liked it here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kado took a shounen battle anime then find/replaced "battle" with "negotiate".

JulianImp

Eromanga-Sensei - #12 (END)
Who needs character development when you can devote half of the final episode to Sagiri and Elf wanting to strip the MC down to look at his junk and make sure she's drawing it right for an eromanga? It's like the previous episode focused on their past, but the final one didn't even bother trying to bring at least some closure to the story.

...But then again, I guess the production team realized that nobody could be watching it for the story, but rather for the cringe-inducing "comedy".

I'd say that the bookstore girl appears to be the only sane-ish character in the whole cast, and it would've been kind of interesting for the group dynamics to have her as a romantic love interest for the MC that was not downright jailbait. That reminds me that I don't actually remember any harem series where a love interest was getting close to the MC for anything but love, and it'd actually be interesting to have some girl chase after him for a shot at fame and fortune or something.

The only thing that actually changed for this final episode were the ending credits, and certainly not in a good way.

I also stand corrected: This series is trash going to hell, and so am I.

Kenstar

Eromanga-Sensei - #12 (END)
Who needs character development when you can devote half of the final episode to Sagiri and Elf wanting to strip the MC down to look at his junk and make sure she's drawing it right for an eromanga? It's like the previous episode focused on their past, but the final one didn't even bother trying to bring at least some closure to the story.

...But then again, I guess the production team realized that nobody could be watching it for the story, but rather for the cringe-inducing "comedy".

I'd say that the bookstore girl appears to be the only sane-ish character in the whole cast, and it would've been kind of interesting for the group dynamics to have her as a romantic love interest for the MC that was not downright jailbait. That reminds me that I don't actually remember any harem series where a love interest was getting close to the MC for anything but love, and it'd actually be interesting to have some girl chase after him for a shot at fame and fortune or something.

The only thing that actually changed for this final episode were the ending credits, and certainly not in a good way.

I also stand corrected: This series is trash going to hell, and so am I.
Eromanga Hate watch nakama is found
exUYDX6.gif

Some stuff I've been watching:

Toradore! 1-3
I'm not really enjoying this show that much so far. Taiga seems like a spoiled brat and Ryuuji is an imbecile for putting up with all her abuse.

Shirobako 1-6
I'm enjoying Miyamori's daily struggle to meet her deadlines and not fuck up too bad at work.

Tamako Market 1-5
This is my favorite show out of the three. The animation is gorgeous and the characters are adorable.

DanMachi Sword Oratoria #11

When this show first began, I had my doubts. At the time the first episode aired I remembered dropping the main show two years back, primarily because of lack of details to main events and characters. It didn't click with me, and I'm not sure why I went ahead to watch this side story.

I'm glad I did. Sword Oratoria clears up a lot of details I missed in the original show, as well as shining a new light on the many characters that were introduced in the span of a few episodes. As a matter of fact, I picked up a copy of the original the other day and watched all 13 episodes in a sitting and a half (need my stretches!).

Though Sword Oratoria made Bell's story more entertaining to watch, judging it on its own merits is a bit tough. On one hand, this side story serves its purpose, but on the other hand it hardly progresses at all. I think this was the episode, where the characters in Loki's familia (clan, I guess) really found a direction thanks to the previous episode. This also extended to Lefiya, the sort of main character of the show, who finally realized that she doesn't need to constantly compare herself to someone that was hardly aware of her existence, and to focus on her own "adventure" so to speak.

The next episode looks to be interesting. Shame I'll have to wait two years or so if a season 2 is in consideration, but this may be a good time to actually get back into books. Maybe I should pick up the light novels...

On a second note, this series is an ultimate guilty pleasure for me.

blurr

Koyomimonogatari 08-12 END

what the fuck

yea, that new season can't come sooner

Shogi allegory is a strange choice to describe the situation but it's clear that Ougi isn't happy with morally grey outlook of things out of fear for the future, which evidently isn't going to turn out well. It looks like everyone with a hint of an oddity tied to them is being hunted down at this point.

I finally understand what they meant by
Mayoi Hell. Holy hell is it a relief to meet her again.

here's some pictures of Ononoki because she is special, not just for me but even within this arc

NeonZ

That said, one thing they introduced here doesn't make much sense to me.
Why is Altair able to get powers from fan creations that are shared on the Internet? If it's because her creator's dead, wouldn't it stand to reason that any creation who's creator died could receive the same advantage, even though Megane doesn't appear to have gained anything by killing her creator as of yet?
It may be a bit of an stretch to make that her power and no one else's, but I won't complain since there's sign of actual progress and interesting ideas going forward.

It was already mentioned in a previous episode that secondary creations are incorporated into the original world, as long as they don't clash too heavily with the "logic" of that world. In that case then they'd split into separate worlds. I guess Altair's world is vague due to her nature of originating from some music video, which allows extra parts to be easily added to it.

MSMrRound

Granblue Fantasy 13: Another Sky

F2P Gran makes way for the whaling Djeeta

DDGKcooVYAEFmyX.jpg

Soooo much fanservice from the game. Otherwise, it's a pretty ho-hum episode.

Feeling kind of bad for those who are missing out on the easter eggs.

It was already mentioned in a previous episode that secondary creations are incorporated into the original world, as long as they don't clash too heavily with the "logic" of that world. In that case then they'd split into separate worlds. I guess Altair's world is vague due to her nature of originating from some music video, which allows extra parts to be easily added to it.
Hmm... for a show which spends so much time trying to explain how it works with an aim to incorporate as much meta-commentary as possible, that seems like the most flimsy excuse to allow Altair to have as many powers as possible. It's not a deal breaker, but it feels like they might've wanted to rethink that concept because unlike getting new powers thanks to the social acceptance of the creators' ideas, this method is a far less concrete mechanism, narratively speaking.

Then again, I expect this show to go the way of Fate in that the closer they get to the climax, the more abstract the rules of the conflict will get. I didn't mind it in Fate because the character writing was on point and action was good, I can only hope for the same result here.

Dave1988

Knowing that the absolute dumpster fire known as Ero-manga sensei is ending today, fills my heart with such joy. All is right in the world again.

Granblue Fantasy 13: Another Sky

F2P Gran makes way for the whaling Djeeta

DDGKcooVYAEFmyX.jpg

Soooo much fanservice from the game. Otherwise, it's a pretty ho-hum episode.

Feeling kind of bad for those who are missing out on the easter eggs.

So they changed the MC to FeMC just because it was a beach episode? Wow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All the characters have sufficiently distinct personalities and desires that it's not appropriate to consider them nothing but plot devices.

I thought it was pretty clear why Ueno cares about Ishida - the two of them were the cool kids in the elementary school classroom until Shoko came in and ruined everything.
I suppose this is going to be subjective, because I didn't see the others as characters at all. The manga is a faded memory in my mind, so it's not like I remember all the details, but I think there's a clear hierarchy of characters... if this was a BioWare RPG, then Ishida is the main character, Nishimiya is the love interest, and the other characters are the quest givers with a few lines of dialog.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. I can understand being frustrated that parts of the manga you really liked are absent from the film, but I don't think their omission/contraction materially hurts the film on its own merits.

I'm sure you could make a strong film like that, but it would have to be a very different one from the one that Yamada made. The entire trajectory of the film is from Shoya feeling isolated and worthless at the start to the incredible catharsis of the final scene at the school festival where he drops his defenses, truly looks at all the people around them, and sees both that he is not alone and that the world is truly beautiful. If Shoko and her sister were the only people Shoya interacted with over the course of that film, that catharsis and revelation would not work. You'd need some different kind of dramatic arc in that case.
You don't really get that they are friends in any meaningful way. They literally have one outing together as a group that we see, so other than being tied to the lead characters' pasts, there's nothing that separates them from the other people with Xs on their faces. I just think the lack of depth with the supporting cast is readily apparent, regardless of whether you have knowledge of the source material or not. But again, that's just how I felt when I was watching the latter half of the film.

With the internet today I have to wonder if the current Monday-Friday public system is become more of a burden than a help. I can understand the need for a public place of gathering for children but I have to wonder if children are being too overwhelmed. Home schooling is sounding like something that makes more and more sense today. Obviously not for everyone, but likely a benefit for many.
Socialization is good, but it feels like teachers aren't prepared or properly trained to deal with problems that arise with children. It's all pedagogy and theories about learning, which is fine, but when kids find a girl and start posting vile things about her on her Facebook page, all your pedagogical theory doesn't mean a thing.

Like I said, the fact that three kids committed suicide in the same year in the same school district is more than an accident - it's a failure of the system.

In this story, you have two kids that try killing themselves - which again, is another failure of the system. And the solution, basically, is for the kids to "get over themselves" rather than get therapy or see a psychiatrist to get the necessarily medication to help them deal with their feelings. Of course, I don't think the film/manga is about mental health - it is just something that comes up as a result of the story that is being told.

One episode into GLOW and its already better than like the last 20 episodes of tiger mask. And i like tiger mask but sorry mate this other shows stealing your thunder.

Edit: Holy fuck second episode and they're doing miscarriage story-lines. Confirmed best wrasslin show. Get fucked ibushi.
I can't get over Marc Maron being the neurotic sarcastic Jewish guy he basically presents himself as all the time. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom