• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Good. Direct audience input is a blight.

Reminds me of that one Hideki Kamiya Tweet where he says the test audience said Viewtiful joe was too difficult and the kids Hate Sylvia and he went out and not only didn't change the characters (Sylvia even became a playable character), but also made the game even harder.

Blues1990

"Buddy's Book", which is going (or at least appears) to be a
Steven and Connie
-centric episode.

It sounds like it'll be a fun episode.
Connie plays off well with Steven's antics, so seeing him in (what I assume) will be a library setting sounds ripe for comedy.

Reivaxe

You know, we've already had two episodes where Pearl and Garnet fused almost instantly and nobody's talking about it.

Fusion only requires a ton of dancing to help gems get in sync.
If they're already on the same page it doesn't seem to take much.

Also sad to see that Smokey has both of their traits of easily being down on themselves.

zeemumu

Fusion only requires a ton of dancing to help gems get in sync.
If they're already on the same page it doesn't seem to take much.

Also sad to see that Smokey has both of their traits of easily being down on themselves.

I don't know if Smokey actually means those insults. She doesn't treat it as a big deal. I think she's actually kind of okay with it.

And yeah, gems don't NEED to dance. Ruby and Sapphire can fuse instantly. I think as long as two gems are on the same page they can fuse whenever they want. For gems of the same type like the Rubies, that's probably pretty easy.

It's like the drift in Pacific Rim and the fusion is their Jaeger.

KiN0

Yeah but... How? Why? When?

Did Pearl patching things up with Greg suddenly give her more empathy with Garnet?

Well, I after week of sardonyx, I think they came to a much better understanding of each other. Plus, it seems as though fusion is easier whenever the gems have a clear idea of what they want to do as a fusion.

On the topic of this episode, I totally see sardonyx channeling the Sapphire side of garnet. They both have that sort of emotional obliviousness about their actions.

zeemumu

Well, I after week of sardonyx, I think they came to a much better understanding of each other. Plus, it seems as though fusion is easier whenever the gems have a clear idea of what they want to do as a fusion.

On the topic of this episode, I totally see sardonyx channeling the Sapphire side of garnet. They both have that sort of emotional obliviousness about their actions.

I felt like her oblivious side stemmed from Pearl's condescending attitude concerning things that she's knowledgeable about. Best evidence of that is her breaking down at the mere thought that Steven could possibly know things about Rose that she doesn't.

Sardonyx runs the show and is extremely confident that she knows best. When she realizes that she might be wrong, she destabilizes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I felt like her oblivious side stemmed from Pearl's condescending attitude concerning things that she's knowledgeable about. Best evidence of that is her breaking down at the mere thought that Steven could possibly know things about Rose that she doesn't.

I think it comes from all three of them. Remember Keystone motel.

KiN0

Sardonyx runs the show and is extremely confident that she knows best. When she realizes that she might be wrong, she destabilizes.

In keystone motel, Sapphire was really dismissive of Ruby's feelings because she was living in the future when all the conflict had passed. Although, Ruby also gets carried away with her feelings. IT probably comes from all of them to some degree.

zeemumu

I think it comes from all three of them. Remember Keystone motel.

Sapphire was emotionally oblivious because she skipped ahead so her investment was in the future. She kinda figured that out and has improved since then. Pearl really hasn't aside from her attitude towards Greg.

Reivaxe

Sapphire was emotionally oblivious because she skipped ahead so her investment was in the future. She kinda figured that out and has improved since then. Pearl really hasn't aside from her attitude towards Greg.

Ehhh, I don't see it.

Keystone showed how "emotionally oblivious" Garnet can be and I don't see anything saying she's not like that anymore.

Just look at Hit the Diamond. "Garnet" is so warped up in herself Ruby and Sapphire can't even keep it together long enough to trick the Rubies to leave.

Mr. Greg is just more proof that Pearl isn't as "emotionally oblivious" as before. I mean, Garnet invited herself on their road trip and fucked it allll up for Steven. Pearl had to be dragged into it by Steven not because she hates Greg but because she knows they have tension between them. And when she went with them everything was perfectly fine until Greg triggered her.

So yeah, I think the Garnet parts were too excited about "new fusion!" and let it become about them.

Probably supposed to be all 3 who were too excited so I wouldn't put to much ownage either part.

MartyStu

Ehhh, I don't see it.

Keystone showed how "emotionally oblivious" Garnet can be and I don't see anything saying she's not like that anymore.

Just look at Hit the Diamond. "Garnet" is so warped up in herself Ruby and Sapphire can't even keep it together long enough to trick the Rubies to leave.

Mr. Greg is just more proof that Pearl isn't as "emotionally oblivious" as before. I mean, Garnet invited herself on their road trip and fucked it allll up for Steven. Pearl had to be dragged into it by Steven not because she hates Greg but because she knows they have tension between them. And when she went with them everything was perfectly fine until Greg triggered her.

So yeah, I think the Garnet parts were too excited about "new fusion!" and let it become about them.

Probably supposed to be all 3 who were too excited so I wouldn't put to much ownage either part.

Pretty much.

Steven and Amethyst are the junior members of the CG and Pearl and Garnet the senior. The episode was a mildly amusing examination of the divide and the dynamics at play.

Sardonyx's excitement to the point of appropriating the spotlight is pretty much the exact thing that Sadie's mom does.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ehhh, I don't see it.

I think Pearl was excited, and that came through. But Ruby even commented how fusion was "their thing" in Keystone Motel.

Basically, I think Pearl and to much greater extent, Garnet were basically the overexcited fans who just found out someone is into the same thing they are.

Opto

Banned
You know, we've already had two episodes where Pearl and Garnet fused almost instantly and nobody's talking about it.

Their mutual excitement and desire to know more made it happen. I mean, you can only show so many transformation sequences before you just want them to get on with it already

BBboy20

I hope Zuke is alright.
Yeah...
Ine1AkaF_400x400.jpg

I think short-term fusions between different gems have the capacity to be fairly large / powerful, but only if they're trying to accomplish a single, simple action, which is why they don't require an elaborate dance. See Sugilite smashing the communications tower, Sardonyx smashing Ruby Fusion x5 (or fusing for what essentially amounts to "fangirling over Smoky Quartz" which doesn't require a ton of energy), Opal moving the drill, etc.

Fusions carried out for a deeper purpose (sustaining an extended battle with Malachite, putting on a performance while disabling the communications tower in a calculated fashion, etc.) tend to require more thorough fusion dances, but it seems that gems that belong to a greater mineral group can also bypass this: Steven and Amethyst are both Quartz gems, and while it's not brought up as much, Ruby and Sapphire are both varieties of corundum, which may have been how they were both able to fuse instantaneously for the first time in The Answer.

Lirlond

Rewatching the show and the art is so goddamn inconsistent. Pearls head changes shape every other scene! Steven looks like some Danny DeVito, Tony Shalhoub love child!!

Kangi

Rewatching the show and the art is so goddamn inconsistent. Pearls head changes shape every other scene! Steven looks like some Danny DeVito, Tony Shalhoub love child!!

Laser Light Cannon is physically painful to watch. And Cheeseburger Backpack. And House Guest...

Reivaxe

?

Greg wasn't mentioned at all in the preview.

Steven is 14 years old but Greg has never taken him to a damn library?!?! That's some strange ish ... still trying to figure out how Steven learned to read yet didn't know books had orders in which they should be read.

Psxphile

Steven is 14 years old but Greg has never taken him to a damn library?!?! That's some strange ish ... still trying to figure out how Steven learned to read yet didn't know books had orders in which they should be read.
Hm. One of the comics mentioned Beach City not having a library but those aren't exactly straight canon. Well, we can see they have one now.

Yeah that explains it per episode, but it changes scene to scene.

Answer remains the same: different boarders. 2 per episode, except on rare occasions.

Reivaxe

Hm. One of the comics mentioned Beach City not having a library but those aren't exactly straight canon. Well, we can see they have one now.
You can see Buck and a younger Mayor on a old poster trying to get people to vote for him so it must have been there for a decent amount of time. Also grandma Pizza is there reading what seems to be a romance book so I'm assuming it's not too far away.

Wonder where Steven gets his books ... guess he buys em off amazon or Greg just has a strangely diverse selection of books.

Blues1990

I hope Zuke is alright.
While I'm sure she'll be fine once she takes some time to take care of herself, it's upsetting that people didn't give her privacy, respect, or treat her like a person who has a life outside of this show.

It's jarring to think that Greg had homeschooled Steven for a good chunk of his life, yet I can't wrap around the concept that he never taken his son to a public library. Also, that librarian slightly resembles Lauren

So, a post on tumblr made an interesting catch: Smoky Quartz has 3 arms because, if you count Steven as being half-human and half-Gem, they're technically a fusion composed of one and a half gems.

Also food for thought: every intermineral fusion we've seen so far, no matter how stable, has typically had either two pairs arms of two pairs of eyes - even Garnet, who's considered by many to be the most "stable" fusion, technically has all the eyes of her two parent Gems (since Ruby has 2 and Sapphire has 1). Not counting Stevonnie since they're 75% human and rules with human fusions seem to be different, Smoky Quartz is actually the most anatomically stable intermineral fusion we've seen so far.

This probably means a ton to Amethyst, too, considering every other fusion she's been a part of has had at least either two pairs of arms or two pairs of eyes:

latest

And while we're on the subject, someone else on tumblr also had a theory that the Temple Fusion was responsible for killing Pink Diamond and not just Rose, and while I think that it would make sense, it doesn't necessarily line up with what we know about the temple fusion or the rebellion timeline - namely it has 8 arms, which would suggest that it's composed of at least 4 Gems. Knowing that, I think it's probably a red herring in one of two ways, either:

- The Temple Fusion consists of Rose Quartz, Garnet, Pearl and Amethyst, meaning it would have been a Rose Quartz-Garnet-Pearl fusion that killed Pink Diamond and not the Temple Fusion, or
- The Temple Fusion was either impromptu or unstable enough that it had a unique set of arms for both Ruby and Sapphire, despite consisting of Rose Quartz, Garnet and Pearl, and we still haven't seen what a fusion between Rose Quartz, Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst would look like

That being said, considering we seem to have more lore on the way in the coming episodes, I want to pitch another (tangentially related) personal theory that the hugeass Temple Fusion statue may have actually been constructed by Dewey's colonists as an act of gratitude for saving them from the sea monster depicted in Mayor Dewey's play, rather than being built by the CGs for whatever reason.

ummmm....
When they were teleporting the music sounded like the Diamonds theme music...
wtf

I noticed that, too.

Toxi

Banned
Is it just me, or has Steven gone through an art shift as the show has progressed? Watching earlier episodes vs later episodes, his head seems to have gotten larger and his body smaller.

Also, Steven and the Stevens is a fucking great episode.

iosefe

also the episode everything went weird.

Original Steven kills the original timeline and himself to make sure a different steven doesn't fuck up as hard as he did.

we have been watching a lie

Toxi

Banned

Original Steven kills the original timeline and himself to make sure a different steven doesn't fuck up as hard as he did.

Yep, the Steven we watch after that episode is not the same one we were with at the start of the series.

I love how unabashedly morbid the episode is with the Stevens all disintegrating at the end and the new lyrics of the song at the end.

Blues1990

That is pretty disturbing. Not once did I realize that the Steven we've been watching since that episode is a different one.

Maximo

Is it just me, or has Steven gone through an art shift as the show has progressed? Watching earlier episodes vs later episodes, his head seems to have gotten larger and his body smaller.

The watching myself die line kills me everytime, so fucking morbid hahah/

Psxphile

Just noticed something in the promo from Friday:
Stevonnie's mix-and-matched uniform of Steven and Connie's outfits covers up only a fraction of Steven's star, leaving the tip exposed.
And it makes it look like, well see for yourself:

spoiler link

I'm sure it means nothing, ha ha...

Just noticed something in the promo from Friday:
Stevonnie's mix-and-matched uniform of Steven and Connie's outfits covers up only a fraction of Steven's star, leaving the tip exposed.
And it makes it look like, well see for yourself:

spoiler link

I'm sure it means nothing, ha ha...

Also related to the promo (and SUPER HUGE-ASS SPOILERS IF IT ENDS UP BEING A THING, so don't click because it's going to spoil a future episode regardless of when it airs):
There's also that picture going around showing the VA team after a recording session, and both Sapphire and Jasper's voice actors are there. uhhhhhhhhhhh

That being said, I think a dynamic between Jasper and Sapphire would actually be really, really interesting. I feel like Sapphire may actually be one of the only gems in our main ensemble that could really "get" to Jasper in some meaningful way outside of Steven inevitably Stevening his way into Jasper's heart (mind?).

Plus, given the whole future vision + ice powers + super speed + levitation powerset, she may be borderline untouchable by Jasper unless she's weak to the same "grab the damsel in distress by the back of their bicep" move that Lapis is, meaning she may actually be one of the few people that could talk to Jasper on her own terms.

OR the Steven who began the episode was an alternate timeline all along and the Steven he saves is the original timeline from every episode before. This is what I tell myself to feel better.

I love the dark humor of Steven and the Stevens though. It's so out-of-place for the rest of the show.

After the "watching myself die" line, my second part has to be Steven singing about accidentally creating an alternate timeline, followed by Pearl acting surprised and shooting him a weird look while she plays violin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom