• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Forza Motorsport 5 has fewer cars and tracks than Forza 4

Forza 4 is a sequel even though it's virtually the same game as Forza 3.

So I'd wait for Forza 6 since that'll be the full fruition of 5's vision, I think.

dejay

Banned
I just assumed they wanted to get something out in time for the Xbox One launch.

Because DLC.

I suspect a little from column A and a little from column B.

Putting out less content and asking for a full price and announcing day one paid DLC before any other details just stinks though.

Cars don't bother me - I don't need a lot and I can cherry pick individual cars if I really want them. But tracks - tracks determine the longevity of a game. I've bought every single Forza game within days of release.

I'm getting a launch Xbone but I'm not sure I'm going to jump in the Forza pool at this stage. Give me some details of upcoming tracks and tell me the price. Tell me some of them are going to be free - like Maple Valley and Nurburgring. I understand that the launch timing was very aggressive and sacrifices had to be made, but tell me why I should invest in this title when I have not idea how much it's going to cost me to get what I'd consider a full game.

I'm glad to see Drive Club delayed than see it rushed out unfinished like Turn 10 is admitting

That's not what Turn10 is saying. The game is complete. It is lacking content - but the core experience of the game itself is finished. It runs at 1080p60 and all features are present and correct.

I doubt DriveClub was delayed due to content, but performance. And I also doubt DriveClub will ship with as many cars as Forza.

Still looking forward to playing both games.

Forza 4 is a sequel even though it's virtually the same game as Forza 3.

You can't have played much FM4. The driving model in that - the very centre of the game - was so much better than FM3. That alone made it a very worthy release. It was the one thing that pushed it ahead of rival games, THE rival game even. The tire model in FM4 is a revelation compared to the previous game in the series.

Steroyd

For $110 you're getting half of the cars and almost half the tracks that there were in Forza 4. What the fuck?

Welcome to the next gen recession of paying more for less.

Quite a few games at the start of the PS360 gen was missing in content compared to the previous gen, GTA IV and JRPG HD towns being the more notable victims.

So we can expect a lot of DLC cars like in NFS: Most Wanted. They better not advertise them in a similarly shitty manner.

That's not what Turn10 is saying. The game is complete. It is lacking content - but the core experience of the game itself is finished. It runs at 1080p60 and all features are present and correct.

I doubt DriveClub was delayed due to content, but performance. And I also doubt DriveClub will ship with as many cars as Forza.

Still looking forward to playing both games.

Maybe T10 should do what Sony did with GT5 and release a game with unfinished tracks and half assed ported cars from a previous Gen.

Honestly you guys.

Quality>>>>>>Quantity.

malyce

Maybe T10 should do what Sony did with GT5 and release a game with unfinished tracks and half assed ported cars from a previous Gen.

Honestly you guys.

Quality>>>>>>Quantity.

Yeah but GT5's "finished" car/track count was something like 200+ cars and 30+ tracks(not counting layouts). In a racing sim, Tracks>>>>>>>>>Cars. Launching with 14 tracks is ridiculous. No Suzuka? no Nurb? With talks about charging for track DLC? There's no defending this shit.

-Amon-

Pathetic approach, i just hope they're doing this only because hard pressed by ms to release on the intended release date.

Their team is almost doubled PD's lol... I don't know if T10 still outsources though.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but I remember reading around the time of Forza 4's release that Turn 10 have a permanent staff of 70-80, but the number of people who worked on 4 was well in the 400s. PD have around 110 permanent staff and don't outsource.

No idea how many people worked on Forza 5, though. Even if it was the same number as 4, I assume creating assets at this level takes twice as long. So to me it's understandable.

Man you can't claim that you are spending all this time on accuracy when several of the cars are as wrong as they were in Forza 2, 3, and 4.

Almost - that $50 gives you the /opportunity/ to earn enough money to buy them, eventually.
Hah, good point.

I was legit pissed off when I purchased the Porsche pack for Forza 4 only to realize in horror that I won't get to drive most of them until I'm deep into career mode

erawsd

Same reason Killer Instinct has 6 characters and only training/vs modes.

Lots of launch titles are being rushed out the door.

dejay

Banned
Same reason Killer Instinct has 6 characters and only training/vs modes.

Lots of launch titles are being rushed out the door.

KI gives you all the 8 playable characters for $20. FM5 is going for full retail + pay again for cars that were cut and many of which are ready enough to be included in day one paid DLC. I have little doubt they're going to charge for tracks too.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
KI gives you all the playable characters for $20. FM5 is going for full retail + pay again for cars that were cut and many of which are ready enough to be included in day one paid DLC. I have little doubt they're going to charge for tracks too.

Day 1 paid DLC is some bullshit. It was obviously ready to be included in the release, but the developers are just being greedy in a shady way.

If you want to sell your game for more than $60, do it. Don't dick around and hide all your pathetic revenue attempts.

erawsd

KI gives you all the 8 playable characters for $20. FM5 is going for full retail + pay again for cars that were cut and many of which are ready enough to be included in day one paid DLC. I have little doubt they're going to charge for tracks too.

I agree that @ $20 KI isn't a bad value. I was just speaking to how little content there is at launch.

Mobius 1

"Some of the tracks needed updating," said Greenawalt. "Some of them needed light updating, and some of them needed heavy updating. Silverstone, for example, was a complete recapture. Several of our tracks were just plain wrong, either because they were poorly captured and technology's moved on, or the track's changed like Silverstone.

But I thought it was the DEFINITIVE EVERYTHING, so now you're telling me it wasn't?

I want my money back.

I don't care about fewer cars, I barely scrape the surface of the car collections in these games anyway.

The small amount of tracks is worrying though.

So has 14 been confirmed as the number of tracks out of the box? If so, have any tracks (or any number) been confirmed as DLC?

Ugh. Moving further and further toward PS4 every day.

Vorg

Banned
It's pretty sad to watch turn10 and Microsoft devalue the Forza brand with a half assed numbered release. Should have just launched with some other racing game, or at least a sequel to horizon.

Paid dlc?

0NdhuBj.gif

DLC bro.

Nurburgring and La Ferrari as DLC. Common bullshit practices here, place your most wanted car and track behind a paywall.

Having a track like nurburgring as DLC is bullshit. It's auch an incredible to drive but if it's that good then of course they will charge you for it. I loved Forza 4 but this is really off putting. I'm getting a PS4 anyway but if I was getting the X1 I would be pissed.

They are shipping half a game anyway and you have to download the rest at launch and now this. They should have delayed this and actually made a complete game.

amar212

Real title for this thread should be "Forza 5 is going to ship with 200 cars and 14 courses". But I guess it would be too informative.

Bedlam

"Some of the tracks needed updating," said Greenawalt. "Some of them needed light updating, and some of them needed heavy updating."

Is he aware of the fact that they're selling a new product to people at full price? Of course you'd give these people something new and not just rehash the old content that already exists.

I am perfectly aware of that, I was being multi-layered in my sarcasm with my post.
Dammit. That's usually my problem :)

Maybe that's how they get the game to 1080p. Would you prefer more car with 720p?
I do wonder whether performance is an issue with any of the tracks being pushed out as DLC or cut entirely. Because I really don't know how something like Hockenheim isn't ready to go or easier to update.

I'm on the outside looking in of course, but I have a hard time coming up with halfway decent theoretical reasons besides "because we can" and "we have some performance issues with the new version of the track that we need more time to iron out". Not say "because we can" isn't possible, but they'd have to know that their fans wouldn't take that news very well.

Having a track like nurburgring as DLC is bullshit. It's auch an incredible to drive but if it's that good then of course they will charge you for it. I loved Forza 4 but this is really off putting. I'm getting a PS4 anyway but if I was getting the X1 I would be pissed.

They are shipping half a game anyway and you have to download the rest at launch and now this. They should have delayed this and actually made a complete game.

It's probably for the best. I can't stand any other implementation of Nurburgring after GT5. I need the dynamic time and weather. Dynamic time + weather + wheel + 1080p + Nurburgring is the very definition of driving BLISS! All other tracks... I'm willing to excuse the lack of dynamic time and weather. But not for the Ring.

Wait, so the first car pack is releasing on day one and its paid DLC? Isn't there a bunch of stuff like tracks and cars that you need to download on day one? So why couldn't this be part of that update?

And I remember Greenwalt saying “We’re not making a launch game. we’re making Forza 5, at launch.” So whats with this "its a launch game" bullshit excuse?

Top Bottom