• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
6y3gzWh.jpg

*****If it wasn't obvious enough, this thread will contain spoilers for those who haven't played the series.*****

So plenty of threads in the past have been home to criticism after criticism of the series, and much of them devolve into bashing or making fun of Bioware. I'm hoping this can be a spot where Mass Effect fans can talk and discuss everything they love about the franchise and most importantly what they would like to see from the next gen Mass Effect that's in development, without every post trolling Bioware. Basically a laid back hangout spot for fans. Bioware gets a lot of hate spread around GAF, but there just as many who love the work they do, I among them.

Talk about your memorable Mass Effect moments, your favorite characters, romantic relationships, memories, what classes you found the best, and especially what you're hoping to see from the next Mass Effect game.

Come on in, have a seat! Talk all things you love about Mass Effect and what you hope to see next gen or else:

izjtVRqNGMTnD.gif

Let me preface :)

The many species of the Mass Effect universe.
jvWopKIyM86e1.png

I would go into detail for each character in the series, but damn are there a lot. Suffice to say, you can find detailed biographies on each here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

Traveling the galaxy is a staple of the Mass Effect series. It is how you travel to different worlds and enter new missions.

jXZpgzavzOCKp.png

jbul8h7l8kUy3X.png

j0gdO5kIytgFK.png
jbizDyUbm4L46D.png

Watch below for dem feels.

First trailer (X05): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVF8Mpte0Ww
X06 footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgBYXH9HNdg
E3 2006 demo footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yCw29JnQk

jbnXPPFN9cwHWf.png

jb1wj9UTKGvhXQ.png
jsZDrXEun8E38.png

Possibly the greatest launch trailer ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdYLIE0fHMw
Awkward Tali-Shep snookie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIbw4605R8

jYNgSkKouaw3J.png

j397WJZLtKzEj.png
jYavvANeClUAS.png

Launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AluTOOCVXVQ
I love you, Grunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDmSY_58b00

Also, are you hyped as fuck for next-gen Mass Effect? I am.

iRgVFBS8Axf7G.gif

Footage of the next Mass Effect

UPDATE 1: Next Mass Effect concept art:

UPDATE 2: Mass Effect: Andromeda announced

Announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

Today we debuted the first cinematic trailer for our next game, Mass Effect™: Andromeda. While we are still many months away from the game’s release date in holiday 2016, we’re excited to show you a bit of where we’re at. First, though, some background on the game itself.

When we wrapped up the original Mass Effect trilogy with Mass Effect 3: Citadel in early 2013, planning and design on Mass Effect: Andromeda was already well underway. We knew we wanted to start with a foundation composed of the best parts of any Mass Effect game: exciting new worlds to discover, great characters, and intense action. At the same time, we clearly wanted to expand the definition of what you should expect from a Mass Effect game.

While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You’ll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

We built this trailer in Frostbite™, our game engine, and it represents our visual target for the final game. We are thrilled by what we’ve already been able to achieve in bringing Mass Effect to Frostbite and by putting our entire focus on PC and current gen consoles. With the time remaining in development, we’re excited about the possibility to push things even more.

Thank you again for all of the support you keep showing us, and we’re looking forward to sharing more details with you near the end of the year. Until then, the teams in our Montreal, Edmonton, and Austin studios will be hard at work creating an entirely new adventure for you to lose yourselves in.

Thanks,

Aaryn Flynn, Studio General Manager, BioWare Canada

Yanick Roy, Studio Director, BioWare Montreal

http://blog.bioware.com/2015/06/15/introducing-mass-effect-andromeda/

Mass Effect: Andromeda early details

The Next Mass Effect Context:

The next Mass Effect game takes place in the Helius Cluster (a cluster of 100s of solar systems in the Andromeda Galaxy), far removed by time and space from Commander Shepard’s heroic acts and the final events of the Mass Effect trilogy. You are a pathfinder, a combat trained but un-tested explorer leading an expedition into the Helius cluster to establish a new home for humanity. As you explore this sprawling series of solar systems (over 4x the size of Mass Effect 3), collecting resources and building colonies, you will encounter the savagery of untamed lands in the form of cut-throat outlaws and warring alien races. To survive and colonize the wild reaches of space, you will need to grow your arsenal, your ship, your crew and make strategic (and often uneasy) alliances to fight against increasingly menacing foes. Along the way, you will encounter the remains of a once powerful and mysterious alien race, the Remnant, whose forgotten technology holds the key to gaining power in this region of the galaxy. As you uncover who the Remnant were, and the mysteries their ruins contain, you are drawn into a violent race to find the source of their forgotten technology that will determine the fate of humanity.

Collect Resources to Fuel your Growth:

Scour solar systems and planets within the Helius Cluster to find valuable resources and blueprints of long forgotten alien technology that will allow you to craft better equipment and weapons, such as improving your leg armor to allow you to jetpack jump, or upgrading your cryo-beam (laser cannon) to target enemies or do area damage around you to clear out close threats. As you build your arsenal and resource infrastructure, you will be able to explore deeper into the increasingly dangerous and resource-rich solar systems of the Helius Cluster.

A Capable Crew:

Throughout the story, you will recruit seven distinct crew members to fight by your side. Each crew member has a unique personality and specific abilities that open up strategic options as you choose which two of them to bring into each mission. For example, Cora has the ability to deploy a biotic shield that protects everyone in the bubble while still allowing you and your squad to fire out of it. Your crew will grow alongside you as you explore the Helius Cluster, and you can choose how you upgrade your crew’s weapons, gear and abilities to increase their individual combat effectiveness. Create the perfect squad to react to any situation and to support your preferred gameplay style.

Your Crew, Your Story:

Your crew members aren’t merely hired guns – they are part of the living universe in the Helius Cluster that develops in response to your actions and choices. Increase each crew member’s loyalty by pursuing missions that are important to that specific character. For example, when a Krogan colony ship has been stolen by one of the outlaw factions leaving the colonists stranded without resources to survive, your Krogan squad mate, Drack, is determined to strike out against them. If you take the mission and help him track down the outlaws’ hideout to return the ship to its rightful owners, Drack’s loyalty toward you and your squad will increase and Drack will unlock a brand new skill tree.

Explore each individual’s backstory and develop your relationship with them through conversations and unique missions. True to Mass Effect, what you choose to say will directly affect your crew’s loyalty and relationship with you, and will open up different conversations and narrative opportunities at the end of the game depending upon how you approach each encounter.

Deployed Strike Team Missions:

The Helius Cluster is 1000s of light years across, and you can’t be everywhere at once. As you develop more colonies, resource bases and settlements, you have to be able to keep them safe. Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop an AI controlled Strike Team that you can deploy to take on randomly generated, time-sensitive missions. Strike Team missions take many forms, including settlement defense and Remnant artifact recovery, which will take real-time to complete. Send your Strike Team out on a mission while you continue playing the main game and they will return, 20 – 30 minutes later, having gained rewards such as XP, currency and equipment based on the success of their mission. Spend money and resources to train your Strike Team and acquire better gear for them, which will increase their success rate and allow them to take on more difficult missions for greater rewards.

Active Strike Team Missions:

When you encounter a Strike Team mission in the Single-Player mode, you can leave your Strike Team at their base and decide to tackle the mission yourself with your Multiplayer roster of characters. You also have the option of tackling the mission by yourself, or recruiting up to three friends to play with you. The more friends you bring, the greater the challenge and the greater the reward. These missions will play out using the Next Mass Effect’s multiplayer Horde mode (more details on this later). These missions will include a variety of thematically appropriate objectives, like defending a Settlement against Khet attacks, or recovering a Remnant artifact off of a planet before an outlaw gang gets there first. By taking an active role in strike team missions, you can earn special Single-player rewards in addition to the usual multiplayer specific characters, weapons, weapon mods, and pieces of equipment which can be customized between missions. Additionally, players who join another person’s Strike Team mission will receive bonus in-game currency and multiplayer XP for helping others with their missions.

Multiplayer “Horde” Mode:

The next Mass Effect’s “Horde” multiplayer pits you and up to three of your friends against waves of enemy troops on various battlefields throughout the galaxy. Players fight together to survive increasingly difficult enemy attacks and accomplish objectives, like disabling a bomb near a colony base or assassinating a target. Progress through multiplayer missions to gain XP and earn new multiplayer specific weapons, characters, weapon mods, and pieces of equipment, which can be customized between matches. Multiplayer play will also earn you APEX funds (in-game currency), which can be used to purchase items and gear in the Single Player game.

Establish Settlements:

Search solar systems for rare habitable planets to establish a settlement that could serve as a base for humankind’s new home in the Helius Cluster. As you build permanent settlements, you will make strategic choices on where to focus your new base’s resources. For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.

Dialogue:

Building upon the rich history of strategic dialogue that has defined the Mass Effect series, you can make meaningful choices in every conversation you have with characters that impact the way your game evolves. The next Mass Effect adds deeper control over your conversations through a greater ability to interrupt and change the course of the conversation as it is happening. During certain conversations, you will be able to take action based choices, such as the option to pull out your gun and force someone to open a door instead of convincing them to do it through conversational guile. Action based choices give you more options for how you approach dialogue with characters in the game and can lead to more extreme outcomes on the story as it evolves around the decisions you make when interacting with a huge cast of NPC characters.

Seamlessly Travel Through the Next Mass Effect Universe:

As you pilot your space ship, Tempest, across the 100s of solar systems that are seamlessly connected in the next Mass Effect, you will encounter new planets filled with valuable resources, intelligent life, conflict, and alien technology that all give you opportunities to increase the power of your character, your ship and your team so that you can build them into a force that perfectly suits your gameplay style. Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

Customize and Share Your Experience:

Discover new things in Andromeda Galaxy, like alien artifacts and natural wonders, that serve as trophies and decorations that you can use to modify the look of your character, Tempest (Space Ship) and Mako (land vehicle). Customize the way your squad and your character look with clothes and aesthetic modifications that you unlock throughout the game. Photos you take from the far reaches of the galaxy can be used to decorate your starship or sold to certain characters.

Remnant Vault Raids: Find and activate Remnant Monoliths to unlock Remnant vaults. Explore abandoned Remnant ruins to find and locate a powerful artifact, but once you remove it you will trigger the vault defenses that will arm traps, activate defense robots and even change the architecture of the vault itself to stop you from escaping. Fight your way out of the vault and you will be rewarded with valuable loot, including powerful gear, crafting resources and Star Keys that can be used to unlock massive orbital facilities in space that grant permanent stat bonuses.

Optional Elite Remnant Vault Raids are scattered around the Helius Cluster located in special orbital facilities that are unlocked by Star Keys. Similar to the standard Remnant Vaults, you enter them to retrieve a special artifact which will trigger the vault defenses that arm traps, activate defense robots and change the architecture of the vault itself to stop you from escaping. However, Elite vaults ratchet up the difficulty of the encounter with increasingly powerful defense robots and traps, as well as roaming outlaws and deadly Khet patrols that are also in search of the elite artifacts. Elite Remnant vaults will test the limits of your combat and puzzle solving acumen, but with greater difficulty comes greater rewards. Gain rare loot, narrative acclaim and huge rewards for completing these daunting challenges.

Khet Outposts:

As you explore planets throughout the Helius Cluster, you will encounter Khet Outposts. These outposts are optional combat experiences where you enter the outpost and fight off waves of enemies. Destroy Khet outposts to earn XP, rewards and thwart their growing power in the region. Your allies will reward you with praise and increased narrative options as you fight to remove the Khet presence from the region.

Drive and upgrade your Mako (land vehicle):

Explore the surfaces of 100s of planets in the Helius Cluster in your versatile land vehicle, the Mako. Whether you are looking for a place to set up a colony, searching for a Remnant vault or attacking a Khet Outpost, you will enjoy getting there in your Mako. Equip and upgrade your Mako in dozens of ways, like adding turbo boosters, upgrading your shield generator or adding a Hostile Detector to your radar to create the ultimate planetary exploration vehicle. Finally, get your Mako looking the way you want with a custom paintjob.

jtb

Banned
if Bioware doesn't want to make Mass Effect RPGs anymore, can they please hire someone who does? because I fucking loved Mass Effect 1.

great moment: landing on the moon in ME1. great skybox.

also Virmire probably tops my favorite levels/sections of all games this gen. great great section, rivaled only by the endgame. shame about the rest of the series eh?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Really hope this game/series becomes even more amazing next gen; and avoids the exhaustion we've seen from IPs like Assassin's Creed.

None of them are my favorite games ever (though KOTOR actually is my favorite game ever); but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I actually think ME3 is one of the best games of the generation.

And... DAT SOUNDTRACK.

Salsa

dont think i've ever been as excited for the potential future of a new IP as I was after I played the first Mass Effect

then 2 and 3 happened

fool me once..

jtb

Banned
Really hope this game/series becomes even more amazing next gen; and avoids the exhaustion we've seen from IPs like Assassin's Creed.

None of them are my favorite games ever (though KOTOR actually is my favorite game ever); but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I actually think ME3 is one of the best games of the generation.

And... DAT SOUNDTRACK.

yes... ME1 OST is perfection. and faunts <3

Dat vanguard. I friggin love mass effect, I was so jealous of the 360 at the time.

The thought of a next generation version perhaps with some of the glaring technical kinks ironed out entices me greatly. Anyone else want an Elcore squad mate?

Xamdou

The fight sequence at the end of Mass Effect was some legendary stuff, a great X360 exclusive at the time and one of Bioware's RPG Trifecta (KOTOR, Dragon Age, ME). Their dialogue trees with voice overs were simply next-gen stuff at the time as well.

I can't wait for the next-gen ME! As long as they bring back Liara then it's all good.

Not even my disappointment with ME3 could bring down my hype for another Mass Effect. 1 and 2 were great and it sounds like Bioware Montreal are staffing up with a pretty solid team. Can't wait to see what is next in the franchise.

J0aRiDrAN

Neo Member
I just read the books this summer - well, the first three (by Drew Karpyshyn) - and they were surprisingly great!
Especially the third one; it had edge of your seat action the whole way through.

The Mass Effect world is without a doubt my favourite fictional universe. I really hope the series continues to be strong in the next gen; they have such a rich history to build off of.

Every few weeks I have a variation of the same thought. It's "dude how dope would it have been if Lost/ Mass Effect stuck there landings." Then I get sad for a minute before I remember its the journey not the destination and think about all the amazing highs both series gave me. I have a lot of problems with the ending of the series and think the extended ending makes the ending worse not better but it doesn't matter but 1, 2 and most of 3 are incredible. I've just gotten back into the multiplayer of 3 and its so damn good and still has a great community on the ps3 at least.

I would love for Mass Effect to go episodic rather then retail next gen. Have you be a Captain of a ship who travels the galaxy having several mini adventures rather then one giant save the galaxy adventure. Have a over arching story line for the season and have choices carry over every episode but no more galaxy saving antics, just a strong villain you have to stop, not some unknowable force like the reapers. A prequel as some of the first humans to branch and the first to have aliens on your ships. Basically Star Trek the game is what I want.

Mass effect 2 was my favorite so far (only played 2 and 3,don't kill me) but I still thoroughly enjoyed 3. I want them to make special weapons worth something, I just end up hoarding ammo and using whatever gives the most shots.

Also I'm not sure how much flack they'd receive, but I'd love if they would open up all the romance options regardless of your gender choice. I was told by someone that the lore was written with a female shepherd in mind, and I personally thought she was the stronger actor, so I went with her and man some of those conversations get interesting quick :p All the characters seem so neutral on the subject anyways. Maybe not garrus...

Bulbasaur

Banned
I just picked up ME3 on Wii U and expected to be blown away.. It's ok I guess. Like KOTOR but with shooting and without the rich history.

Ikon

Without the ME series this gen would have been so much more boring for me. I've replayed 1 and 2 countless times and still feel like doing so. I really like 3 as well, I just haven't played it as much for whatever reason. In my opinion the ending is a long way from ruining the enjoyment I get from playing these games.

As for next gen ME I sure hope it doesn't involve Shep. I would love to see a focus on some kind of galactic war in the vein of humans vs batarians or the rachni wars - although it would be best with one that's new.

Would also be kickass if you could choose which race to play as. I'd def replay that as every single race if it were more than just different skills. Bring on the vorcha :p

I just picked up ME3 on Wii U and expected to be blown away.. It's ok I guess. Like KOTOR but with shooting and without the rich history.

You won't really get into the universe and characters and different races unless you started from beginning at ME1. It'd hit you even harder if you stuck with the series since the beginning (2007). I was anticipating this series since 2005, it really puts your feelings into perspective.

model13

I just hope I get to play as Blasto the Hanaar Spectre! In all seriousness though, I would love a prequel that centered entirely on the Citadel. Really open it up for exploration. I would also like to see emphasis on inventory and customization (both weapons and abilities).

sixghost

dont think i've ever been as excited for the potential future of a new IP as I was after I played the first Mass Effect

then 2 and 3 happened

fool me once..

I don't think the series ever topped the Citadel area in ME1. Too much save-the-universe type stuff after that.

kuYuri

Dat Mass Effect 2 opening. Shit was GOAT. Also epic was the suicide mission.

I hope to see more exploration of planets like in ME1, but no fucking Mako. Hammerhead from ME2 on those various planets would have been amazing, much faster and maneuverable. Someone should mod the Hammerhead into ME1.

I know it would take a ton of work to make them detailed and filled with things to do, but it's still something I dream about.

I loved mass effect 1, completing it about 8 or 9 times
I loved mass effect 2, completing it about 4 or 5 times
I hated mass effect 3, and could only play about 2/3 hours of it before the ridiculous story drove me away.

My hope for mass effect 4 is that they fire the mass effect 3 writers and bring back the original writers (I am assuming that they replaced the initial writers as I can't believe that they could have written mass effect 3).

I've never gotten all the hate for the Mako in ME1 I played it when it was first released and replayed through the first 2 before I played 3 when 1 got released on psn and had a lot of fun with the Mako, once you get the controls down you can really tear the fuck around in that machine. The way it's used in missions is really fun and the open sidequest stuff you can take it right up the side of mountains like a crazy space badass. Maybe I just liked being alone on a giant planet seeing what's over the next ridge but I missed it a lot in 2 and 3. The vehicle stuff in those games just so linear and boring.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The scope and potential of the universe they built in the games is why I will never want a prequel, especially one that deals with the first contact war, going from a galaxy to a 3 month battle between two races? no thanks.

My biggest hope is they tone it down, I don't need to save the universe over and over again, you just have to make what I am doing meaningful to the world I am a part of. And don't bullshit us about choice if pretty much everything we choose or any supposed meaningful choices get overwritten or mean nothing at all, Collector base anyone?

As for next gen ME I sure hope it doesn't involve Shep. I would love to see a focus on some kind of galactic war in the vein of humans vs batarians or the rachni wars - although it would be best with one that's new.

It's been confirmed that Shepard's story is completely done. Next ME will be something else entirely.

Fruitster

The main thing I'm really hoping for in the next Mass Effect is for Bioware to try and show a lot more of the universe they've created. Mass Effect 1 gave us a glimpse of it, maybe it wasn't built upon properly in the sequels. The likes of the Citadel, Omega, Ilium etc are great locations, but I wan't to travel the galaxy and explore it.

I also hope we don't hear quite so much about Cerberus. To have a series about alien societies and worlds, it was a shame that too much of the trilogy was humanity focused.

Characters, I can't wait to see what Bioware come up with. Garrus is no doubt the best character in gaming for me, he was the alien brother in arms all the way through. Most gaming characters have no impact on me at all, yet most in the Mass Effect series had a real resonance.

Very much looking forward to the next Mass Effect. Now Bioware are free of the Reapers/Cerberus tale, hopefully they can take the series to new worlds and new direction story wise.

SmartBase

I've never gotten all the hate for the Mako in ME1 I played it when it was first released and replayed through the first 2 before I played 3 when 1 got released on psn and had a lot of fun with the Mako, once you get the controls down you can really tear the fuck around in that machine. The way it's used in missions is really fun and the open sidequest stuff you can take it right up the side of mountains like a crazy space badass. Maybe I just liked being alone on a giant planet seeing what's over the next ridge but I missed it a lot in 2 and 3. The vehicle stuff in those games just so linear and boring.

I agree with this, it was half-baked but I think it still added to the experience, especially some of the more unique planetscapes. I couldn't believe how lazy Bioware were when they simply took out vehicle exploration instead of improving on it in the sequels.

DanielJr82

I loved all 3 games. The ending of the third game needed work, but an update was rolled out later that fixed a lot of the issues. It's still not the ending I had hoped for (mainly the purpose of the reapers wasn't convincing), but it's good none the less. Great trilogy of games.

I still feel burnt that Tali didn't have a proper face reveal, though. For a romanceable character that was present in all 3 games I thought they were going to take her a little more seriously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what's a mass effeect

I agree with this, it was half-baked but I think it still added to the experience, especially some of the more unique planetscapes. I couldn't believe how lazy Bioware were when they simply took out vehicle exploration instead of improving on it in the sequels.

It's a real shame it never got flushes out because once you got past the jank it was really fun. Which now that I think about it is a great way to sum up the first game in general. Which I still consider the best of the bunch.

I find Mass Effect 2 was the perfect blend for the series. It does need to get back to the ME1 roots but I doubt it'll ever go back to being an RPG again...tbh I want them to move on to a new IP or Jade Empire 2

PLEASE... dont do a prequel, Bioware! I hate Prequels because they limit games. If they made it a prequel, I would seriously consider not buying (Im a huge ME fan, huge.). I dont want to hear about Reapers etc being the most badass enemy already.
My suggestions:

-Set the game in a new universe.
or
-Set it in the future, where Sheperd is remembered as being a hero. New bad guy.
-People ramble on about wanting to play as an alien, Im AGAINST this idea. The Lore in ME has so many varying alien civilizations with very different lifestyle/philosophies, morality and other choices. Playing as an alien race would force Bioware to make the choices generic rather than emotional ones. This is the same with regard to character customisation and the emotions your main character can portray (via facial animation).

Thats just off the top of my head. Basically, I want a ME set a hundred years in the future. You're still a part of the Alliance. There are new enemies. Maybe, they've traversed space and time from another dimension. Gobbling up civilizations between multiple dimensions like Apocalypse in the comic books. The bad guys just have to make our chances of survival bleak and kick our ass alot.

THIS, sir. THIS ^
I want a Mako and huge planets to traverse upon.

Ovek

7Member7
We all know the new games are going to be prequels and any prequel involving the reapers is pointless as we all know how the story ends. Of course you can claim that there are many stories in that universe but they can never write themselves out of that corner.

I have a feeling the new game will be start in between me1 and me2 just before the collectors and Sheapard's resurrection... Why!?! So they an cram in some of the original cast like Liara for some fan service. Shit it might even go as far as you helping Liara recover Sheapard's body.

Amir0x

Banned
I really want a return to the amazing soundtrack direction of Mass Effect 1 rather than what was in ME 2/3. Presidium forever *swoon*

My idea for a Mass Effect game is an entire game set in a massively open world Presidium, where you go on quests and such here, and dungeons are generally some 'trip' off to some planet, a number of preset destinations, but some dungeons exist on the Presidium itself too.

Basically in the game you'd exist as some sort of investigator in the Presidium covering some case, and obviously you'd have to search for clues and be social and use your prowess with language or violence to get past barriers, but eventually the mystery will tie into larger ones involving the ME universe.

I dunno it's much smaller in scale in some ways, but larger in scale in other ways. But I just think the series needs a new direction after it went off the rails in ME3, not necessarily in gameplay but in story focus (although I could use a heavy return to some of the more stat depth of ME1).

I find Mass Effect 2 was the perfect blend for the series. It does need to get back to the ME1 roots but I doubt it'll ever go back to being an RPG again...tbh I want them to move on to a new IP or Jade Empire 2

Bioware consists of multiple teams actually. Bioware Montreal is working on the next Mass Effect while Bioware Edmonton (Casey Hudson+other dudes from ME1) are working on a new IP.

We all know the new games are going to be prequels and any prequel involving the reapers is pointless as we all know how the story ends. Of course you can claim that there are many stories in that universe but they can never write themselves out of that corner.

I have a feeling the new game will be start in between me1 and me2 just before the collectors and Sheapard's resurrection... Why!?! So they an cram in some of the original cast like Liara for some fan service. Shit it might even go as far as you helping Liara recover Sheapard's body.

Well, thankfully that won't happen since they already confirmed it will have nothing to do with Shepard :)

Based on the endings... the old guy showing the kid the stars, how can it be a prequel? It would mean even after the new trilogy, Sheperd is still the greatest hero that ever was as thats meant to be way after the end of 3. I just dont see it turning pretty with a prequel. Would hear more about the genophage? How Salarians are bastards for doing it? etc etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, on a serious note, I hope for one of two things with ME4 in regards to setting:

Either A) It's set after the trilogy and part of a new direction to expand the story beyond. I'm very happy for them to just pick one of the endings and galaxy states as canon, for the sake of consistency and grounding. I don't want to dwell on the past or established universe, I want to see how it develops.

Or B) If it has to be set during the trilogy (which is what I suspect will happen based on my cynicism), I want it set anywhere before the events of Mass Effect 3. I do not want a game set during the ME3 Reaper battle.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed. I wanna play as a Krogan or Turian hero in the next game.

Prologue

I wish ME3 ended with indoctrination so that we can get one more full fledged ME title with Shepard. Personally, its going to be hard to beat being a commander on a ship and saving the galaxy.

jtb

Banned
I really want a return to the amazing soundtrack direction of Mass Effect 1 rather than what was in ME 2/3. Presidium forever *swoon*

My idea for a Mass Effect game is an entire game set in a massively open world Presidium, where you go on quests and such here, and dungeons are generally some 'trip' off to some planet, a number of preset destinations, but some dungeons exist on the Presidium itself too.

Basically in the game you'd exist as some sort of investigator in the Presidium covering some case, and obviously you'd have to search for clues and be social and use your prowess with language or violence to get past barriers, but eventually the mystery will tie into larger ones involving the ME universe.

I dunno it's much smaller in scale in some ways, but larger in scale in other ways. But I just think the series needs a new direction after it went off the rails in ME3, not necessarily in gameplay but in story focus (although I could use a heavy return to some of the more stat depth of ME1).

this sounds like a great idea. I hope that now that the trilogy is done, EA/Bioware isn't afraid to make a "smaller" game. They can't pull off big anyways.

Dennis

Banned
The first Mass Effect was a dream come true.

The techno-optimist with 1970s-inspired Sci-Fi visuals space opera I always wanted to play.

So, on a serious note, I hope for one of two things with ME4 in regards to setting:

Either A) It's set after the trilogy and part of a new direction to expand the story beyond. I'm very happy for them to just pick one of the endings and galaxy states as canon, for the sake of consistency and grounding. I don't want to dwell on the past or established universe, I want to see how it develops.

Or B) If it has to be set during the trilogy (which is what I suspect will happen based on my cynicism), I want it set anywhere before the events of Mass Effect 3. I do not want a game set during the ME3 Reaper battle.

Agreed on both points, although I'm very much wanting A to happen. With regards to second option, I don't really anticipate Bioware going with that route to be honest. With how they're coming on, it feels like they want to move away from the Reaper storyline and actually create something fresh for the series. A prequel would be my worst nightmare...

I sort of miss the sense of discovery and mystery that was in the first game, but I certainly don't miss the overall jankiness of that game either. ME4 better have some polish. Mass Effect 2 had the best squadmates out of the series, so I hope the next game reaches that level of quality again. Basically, all I want is the overall design of ME1 married to the polished combat seen in Mass Effect 3, with the characters like those in ME2.

Salsa

im cringing already at it taking place years after the trilogy and everyone talking about THE SHEPARD and you finding fucking statues or whatever

please none of that, or make it a one time thing

Dennis

Banned
If weren't at work, right now I would be posting some screenshots of the lush worlds from the first game.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three games. I think a lot of people got hung up on the ending, but if you look at the franchise as a whole, there were plenty of great moments and compelling characters that you wanted to learn more about.

Mass Effect 2 was my favorite of the bunch. I loved the whole process of recruiting new characters and doing their personal side missions. The final suicide mission was fantastic and epic to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom