• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbot still alive, seemingly hiring for new PSASBR

Card Boy

Banned
I don't mean to be a negative ninny (again)

But why does Sony keep releasing sequels to stuff noone wants? By 'noone' i mean the general public.

Who asked for Resistance 3 & Burning Skies?
Who asked for Killzone: Mercenary?
Who asked for another SOCOM?

Whats next MAG 2? Another Twisted Metal? LBP Karting 2? Heavenly Sword 2?

Superbot's status is an odd one.

They were formed by Shannon Studstill while she was at Santa Monica Studios, left to sort out Superbot, then she went back to Santa Monica. Sony formed the company but they aren't Sony owned and are listed as independent.

If a Sony employee set them up with Sony and they are Sony exclusive, why are they independent? Gah.

people want it to be like marvel?

So you're expecting a game that the masses would cry about when they get beat by players that "exploit" the system?

goldenpp72

I'm sad people in here are bashing Sony for making sequels to less popular games, if anything that's something I wish MS would do. Series like Banjo, Viva, and crackdown deserve more budget and attempts. I don't care for this particular game because I think it looks awful, but I applaud Sony for putting a real investment into their new IP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

But why does Sony keep releasing sequels to stuff noone wants? By 'noone' i mean the general public.

I honestly don't know if this post is serious or not. Half of those are sequels people wanted and half of them are ones no one wanted.

Carl

Burning Skies was great.
Killzone: M looks great.
Lots of people asked for another SOCOM.
ANd i'd buy MAG 2, LBPK and HS2.

I'm just guessing here but uh... maybe it was financially successful?

Superbot's status is an odd one.

They were formed by Shannon Studstill while she was at Santa Monica Studios, left to sort out Superbot, then she went back to Santa Monica. Sony formed the company but they aren't Sony owned and are listed as independent.

If a Sony employee set them up with Sony and they are Sony exclusive, why are they independent? Gah.

No need for expensive payoffs if/when Superbot is downsized or shut down. Insomniac employees are going to learn this the hard way. :'(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The real solution to all the character selection issues is to simply just put in an extensive create a character builder into the game with setups you can share online like how CAW works in the WWE games.

Heck they should probably just make it a wrestling game instead of another smash based one.

The first Resistance sold bucket loads. Of cours equals would be commissioned
Same goes for Killzone and SOCOM.

They are like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero. They had their moment in the sun, but that doesn't mean you stop selling the game the instant there is a decline, you ride the wave

SykoTech

Nice to hear, but not surprising to me. It was fun watching most people here jump to incorrect conclusions one day after release as usual though.

Hopefully the next game is much better presentation department. A new art director is a nice start. Wouldn't mind them getting rid of the Super system either, or at least making it an optional mode. It's sorta a silly limitation, especially for characters that get the short end of the Super stick like Jak.

Maybe more help on DLC characters.

Eh, maybe. But I kinda doubt they'd be hiring an all-new art director and stuff just for DLC. Especially when it's going to be free.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Burning Skies was great.
Killzone: M looks great.
Lots of people asked for another SOCOM.
ANd i'd buy MAG 2, LBPK and HS2.

I'm just guessing here but uh... maybe it was financially successful?

If PSASBR is financially successful it must've been made on a shoestring budget.

Would explain the awful UI.

I would not be surprised to see Insomniac to go back to sony after Fuse unfortunately

Insomniac needs Sony more than Sony needs Insomniac, as Sony already own Ratchet & Clank and Resistance anyway.

It was fun watching most people here jump to incorrect conclusions one day after release as usual though.
I don't think the conclusion that it was a sales flop was incorrect at all.

Whether it was a commercial failure depends on how much they actually invested in it to begin with though.
Did you see the quote I posted? That's not a "They wouldn't pay us for the license" tone.
I saw the quote. It was a "Not a chance" tone but it's dated July - long after I imagine these dealings would have been decided. And at the end of the day Square Enix controls the Lara Croft property, not Crystal Dynamics.

prwxv3

They need to start marketing their games even if those games have small budgets but its also good for sony to have games with small budgets along with the AAA games.

Takao

Banned
Good. Sony is generally trash when it comes to the sanctity of their IPs. What was that Move game? Heroes?

Ah yes, PlayStation Move Heroes developed by the now notorious Nihilistic Software:

nLHcN.png

The sad thing is it still had better art direction than Battle Royale.

Wow that was pretty blunt, I wonder if they have beef.

I believe either that person, or another person from Crystal Dynamics said to leave the past in the past.

They wanted Lara, but CD wouldn't let them. Here's a tweet about it from TR's "brand manager"

https://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl/status/216696796821467136

Either Sony didn't make them an offer they couldn't refuse or they straight out refused to feature her in such a game. Its more plausible the offer wasn't enough, since everything points out to PSASBR being a low budget game. Anyway, the Lara this game wouldve gotten was probably Lara 2013 and not childhood Lara.

Lara Croft isn't a Sony property.

Neither is Cloud for that part.

Thank you for reminding me.

pantsmith

The amount of people calling the game an abomination/atrocity/whatever is hilarious.

It's got (mostly) well designed characters, (mostly) solid netcode, and a couple questionable design choices (the UI, the super system favoring certain characters above others). It's hardly a bad game just because you don't want to like it, and I dare anyone who's put in a couple good rounds of 2v2 to try and pretend it doesn't have an amazing amount of potential as a competitive fighter. Rough around the edges, short on content, but when it's on its really fucking on.

Now that Seth Killian is lead designer for Santa Monica, I keep imagining how cool it would be to have him on board from the beginning, basically as a collaborative pet-project between him and everyone working there who loves fighting games. All of the core gameplay has been ironed down, it'd be interesting to see what they could do with it moving forward.

Even if they don't end up with Crash, or Spyro, or Cloud or whoever else, the only way they're going to be able to make everyone happy (if that's even conceivable) is to just go all out and make a sequel the way Melee improved on Smash.

rdrr gnr

The question then, is whether Sony would take them back. After they fucked up Resistance I wouldn't count on it.
It's not that black and white. And of course they would. I just hope they aren't relegated to making Ratchet and Resistance. Resistance needs to go.

I would not be surprised to see Insomniac to go back to sony after Fuse unfortunately

I just can't figure that developer out. Their games are polished, well-made, competently put together but lack that x factor, whatever that may be. Maybe they should get some new creative people at the top? Because the current guys are dropping the ball. Insomniac has good programmers, animators, graphics dudes, all of that, but they lack creativity. Who in their right mind would think Fuse is a good idea? Boggles...

prwxv3

I just can't figure that developer out. Their games are polished, well-made, competently put together but lack that x factor, whatever that may be. Maybe they should get some new creative people at the top? Because the current guys are dropping the ball. Insomniac has good programmers, animators, graphics dudes, all of that, but they lack creativity. Who in their right mind would think Fuse is a good idea? Boggles...

Personally Fuse looks great gameplay wise its the art direction thats bad.

rdrr gnr

It probably would have been better to get one of their big wig developers to handle the game. Somebody like Sucker Punch for example
Omar doesn't seem like the right fit. So many bad ideas got through to the final product. Whoever was in charge of the overall design needs to go.

Good for them.

First game nailed the core gameplay, now they just need to seriously polish it the f up, add new modes, and improve, improve, improve.

I'm hoping this is an example of a game that starts off small and then simply builds up. I hope the best for the IP, I enjoy it a lot

This is true, but they seems to have learned the lesson hard and fast. They gave a lot of their best devs a chance, it didn't work out and Sony decided to part ways.

*David Jaffe created two big IP's for Sony for two generations in a row, they gave him a chance, it didn't work out. Sony cutback on the studio, I have no idea what's going on with EatSleepPlay

*They gave Insomniac a chance on PS3, funding multiple Ratchet games and the Resistance franchise, it didn't work out and Sony cut back on the relationship, Insomniac went to EA (I doubt Sony will give them the $$ for a new IP on PS4)

*They have Warhawk dev a chance with Starhawk, the game sucked ass, they killed the contract with the company.

*Studio Liverpool - again, given multiple chances on PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita, the games sucked and didn't sell, the studio had no vision, as a result the studio was terminated

*Zipper - became a copycat developer, the games got mediocre reviews - studio terminated

LBP Karting, Wonderbook, The Sorcery game, Sly 4...they are trying to appeal to the younger crowd and doesn't seem to be working out for them. Maybe it's the poor marketing, maybe PS3 is too expensive...who knows? I am not a marketing guy.

The only Insomniac game I have played is Resistance 3 and it was not a good shooter. It was generic, it felt like a mix-mash of different games, it wasn't engaging, the multiplayer was terrible....it was just a generic "me too" shooter. Not as bad as the Darkness 2 but nothing good either.

Either Sony didn't make them an offer they couldn't refuse or they straight out refused to feature her in such a game. Its more plausible the offer wasn't enough, since everything points out to PSASBR being a low budget game. Anyway, the Lara this game wouldve gotten was probably Lara 2013 and not childhood Lara.

I don't know how you say that's more likely. Did you miss the no in caps with an exclamation mark as if he felt insulted?

Takao

Banned
The question then, is whether Sony would take them back. After they fucked up Resistance I wouldn't count on it.

Currently it seems like Insomniac is also content with mucking up Ratchet & Clank, so I dunno.

Partially it was Sony's fault for not marketing it well. R3 in particular.

Resistance 2 seems to have had such poor word of mouth that I doubt even a great marketing campaign could've saved the next follow up.

That guy's crazy don't listen to him. IIRC he was saying Liverpool was a junk studio back in the thread where we learned they were shut down.

Partially it was Sony's fault for not marketing it well. R3 in particular.

No, it was the direction Insomniac took the franchise that killed it. Resistance 2 was a massive departure from the RFoM and they really fucked up the story as well. Fans wanted a proper sequel to RFoM, gritty, grey and depressing, we got a colourful sci-fi game. It's like they lucked into RFoM and then it was back to normal service for R2 and R3.

Both sequels to Resistance were not worthy of a strong marketing campaign, and we have seen that when a game is worthy, Sony pull out all of the stops. Take Uncharted and RFoM, both launched early in the generation, and both were very well received by critics and fans alike and both games had a very long tail ending up shipping over 3m copies each before their sequels arrived. This is where the similarities end, Uncharted 2 took everything that was awesome about Uncharted and made it better. R2 took everything that was awesome about RFoM and threw it away. Sony marketed the shit out of Uncharted 2 because it was worthy of the campaign. There is no use in marketing a game if it is shit, poor word of mouth will kill it anyway and make it very frontloaded. R2 just wasn't worthy, and the poor quality of the game killed the franchise and then it got supplanted by MW anyway.

rdrr gnr

This is true, but they seems to have learned the lesson hard and fast. They gave a lot of their best devs a chance, it didn't work out and Sony decided to part ways.

*David Jaffe created two big IP's for Sony for two generations in a row, they gave him a chance, it didn't work out. Sony cutback on the studio, I have no idea what's going on with EatSleepPlay

*They gave Insomniac a chance on PS3, funding multiple Ratchet games and the Resistance franchise, it didn't work out and Sony cut back on the relationship, Insomniac went to EA (I doubt Sony will give them the $$ for a new IP on PS4)

*They have Warhawk dev a chance with Starhawk, the game sucked ass, they killed the contract with the company.

*Studio Liverpool - again, given multiple chances on PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita, the games sucked and didn't sell, the studio had no vision, as a result the studio was terminated

*Zipper - became a copycat developer, the games got mediocre reviews - studio terminated

LBP Karting, Wonderbook, The Sorcery game, Sly 4...they are trying to appeal to the younger crowd and doesn't seem to be working out for them. Maybe it's the poor marketing, maybe PS3 is too expensive...who knows? I am not a marketing guy.
You don't think marketing has a role in some of these? Sony sends out projects to die.

I'd address your post piece by piece but I'm on my phone.

prwxv3

Currently it seems like Insomniac is also content with mucking up Ratchet & Clank, so I dunno.

Resistance 2 seems to have had such poor word of mouth that I doubt even a great marketing campaign could've saved the next follow up.

Yea thats true though I did enjoy R2 but I adored R3.

Top Bottom