• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS not mandating any framerate or fidelity requirements on Scorpio including in MP

Kayant

Thanks to Somnia:
Mike Ybarra said:
FshKitk.png

Mike Ybarra said:
YtaNu0w.png

My Thoughts:

Given they have no mandate for Scorpio support and already don't mandate any kind of minimum support like the Pro(i.e 1080p) as far as with know. Makes sense they are not limiting devs with this, likelyhood of there being 30fps to 60fps target difference in MP are probably slim because of CPU + devs wanting a "level" playing field(Of course in what they can control i.e not things like player connections) and the work needed to optimise for 60fps.

Customise my Jaguar if old.

Edit -

Partly why I created this thread/sightly off topic but the so called Sony MP parity is based on a poorly written or clickbait tweet/news piece by Videogamer - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237459795&postcount=120

rokkerkory

Some of the performance gains are built into the h/w so it's relatively 'free' for devs. Not mandating stuff is good way to go.

I just don't understand MSFT anymore. As someone with an xbox one already why would i upgrade without some kind of guarantee.

That said sony didn't force bethesda to support pro with prey.

molnizzle

This is also the case with PS4 Pro. The whole "multiplayer parity" thing is bullshit that spread because of a couple of tweets. It's not true. A handful of games already break this "rule" (Dark Souls III, for example).

I respect what Sony is doing with not trying to alienate the 50million + people with regular PS4's but as a pro owner it sucks and if you're releasing new hardware, you need to commit to it. I was expecting MS to not follow suit so I'm not really surprised.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Good news, and yeah we kinda knew this already but glad to see it confirmed that there's no restrictions to MP as well.

I really wanna see what Scorpio could do at 1080p..

Kayant

This is also the case with PS4 Pro. The whole "multiplayer parity" thing is bullshit that spread because of a couple of tweets. It's not true. A handful of games already break this "rule" (Dark Souls III, for example).
The mandate for Pro is fps target parity not actual performance and iirc nothing breaks that so far.

Precisely.

There's been a lot of misinformation with the Pro that mostly stems from Sony's vague and indirect handling of the Pro leading up to launch and even post-launch.

Big discussion about this happening today in the Destiny 2 CPU thread.

There should be no bullshit arbitrary forced parity.

Premium products should shield premium results. Nobody is getting screwed over. Nobody is getting alienated. Pick your console and enjoy whatever you pick.

MS is knocking it out of the park with being clear about Scorpio FPS, IQ, and fidelity upgrades over base. Universal downsampling and other improvements for 1080p-ers is amazing. Pro is my favorite console right now but Sony made mistakes and MS is capitalizing.

This tweet is great news. Can't wait for some Scorpio superiority!

molnizzle

The mandate for Pro is fps target parity not actual performance and iirc nothing breaks that so far.

Unlocked frame rate mode in Dark Souls III is only available to Pro users. Base PS4 is locked to 30fps.

The mandate doesn't exist.

Nobody is getting alienated on either side. I hate that argument from base PS4 and base One owners. This is how technology works now.

You can enjoy a game on a One or enjoy a game on a Scorpio. How much you value certain aspects of gaming will dictate which system you invest in.

Bring on the upgrades!

Precisely.

There's been a lot of misinformation with the Pro that mostly seems from Sony's vague and indirect handling of the Pro leading up to launch and even post-launch.

Big discussion about this happening today in the Destiny 2 CPU thread.

There should be no bullshit arbitrary forced parity.

Premium products should shield premium results. Nobody is getting screwed over. Pick your console and enjoy whatever you pick.

MS is knocking it out of the park with being clear about Scorpio FPS, IQ, and fidelity upgrades over base. Universal downsampling and other improvements for 1080p-ers is amazing. Pro is my favorite console right now but Sony made mistakes and MS is capitalizing.

This tweet is great news. Can't wait for some Scorpio superiority!

What happened to leaving no Xbox 1 users behind according to Phil? That kind of shits on the current 30m+ x1 users.

Also Scorpio is using a Jaguar cpu too, I wouldn't have that high expectation for fps.

molnizzle

What happened to leaving no Xbox 1 users behind according to Phil? That kind of shits on the current 30m+ x1 users.

How? 30fps is only good enough for you as long as long as no one else gets to have it better?

If frame rate is that important to you, you can buy a Scorpio. If not, then don't. All of your games will still work the way they always have. No one loses.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FUCK.YES. This should be a given based on how they anticipate the "no generations" generation to go. Also, console parity in a world of 900p vs full 4k was a laughable thought.

Saving this thread for when they announced D2 is 30fps too.

Should be hilarious.

I really wouldn't be shocked if they announce 1080p/60 for Scorpio. I guess we will see though, I'll admit if I'm wrong.

Bottom line though is this tweet is bigger than Destiny 2. Scorpio aims to provide big upgrades with every game regardless of SP or MP mode and regardless of what display you're on, and that's huge and more than what Sony has dictated with their Pro outline

Zedox

Also Scorpio is using a Jaguar cpu too, I wouldn't have that high expectation for fps.

No it doesn't. You still get to play the game.

molnizzle

I really wouldn't be shocked if they announce 1080p/60 for Scorpio. I guess we will see though, I'll admit if I'm wrong.

No chance. Bungo don't roll like that. It'll be the same everywhere.

Remember that D1 was locked 1080p30 on both PS4 and XBO and both versions looked identical.

gamz

No chance. Bungo don't roll like that. It'll be the same everywhere.

Remember that D1 was locked 1080p30 on both PS4 and XBO and both versions looked identical.

Don't forget MS had to go to Bungie to get the extra power. XBO was 900 or something like that if I remember right? No doubt they'll do the same.

How? 30fps is only good enough for you as long as long as no one else gets to have it better?

If frame rate is that important to you, you can buy a Scorpio. If not, then don't. All of your games will still work the way they always have. No one loses.

You're absolutely right but it won't matter.

People who feel Scorpio and Pro screws them over as base owners just don't get it. I kind of understand where why they are stuck on the idea, as this is a pretty new case of PC ideology being transfused into console market, but it's going to become the new normal.

If you're happy with your One now, but won't be happy as soon as someone is playing the same game with twice the framerate, I kinda feel like that's a You Problem and something you need to accept and adapt to. Your Xbox One will be the same system it is now.

Kayant

Unlocked frame rate mode in Dark Souls III is only available to Pro users. Base PS4 is locked to 30fps.

The mandate doesn't exist.
Ok fair enough still DS is bit different with not being having "traditional" MP. I guess with that and the Pro sticker then Prey not having any Pro support at launch these are maybe not strictly enforced.

Xbox One will still get new games and full suppport until the next generation. Nobody is left behind. Everybody wins with this mid-gen refresh approach.

Being unhappy with other people spending money to enjoy premium hardware for premium results is self-centered and foolish.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I doubt many developers will give part of their competitive online playerbase a 60fps vs 30fps gameplay advantage.

molnizzle

Ok fair enough still DS is bit different with not being having "traditional" MP. I guess with that and the Pro sticker then Prey not having any Pro support at launch these are maybe not strictly enforced.

They don't even exist. Persona 5 doesn't have Pro support either.

These "rules" people came up with are from leaked PDF's back when PS4 Pro was still known as Project Neo. Shit clearly changed.

Battleborn also has a locked 1080p60 mode on Pro. That's an FPS MOBA. In any case, in DS3 PvP the frame rate gives you far more of an advantage than any shooter. At its base level, Dark Souls is just a 3D fighting game.

I doubt many developers will give part of their competitive online playerbase a 60fps vs 30fps gameplay advantage.

Why not? They're already giving them a resolution advantage.

I doubt it will be a standard in every game but I bet it happens much more often than you think it will.

MS is pushing Scorpio way harder than Sony pushed/pushes Pro.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Rank the advantages:

Head phones vs stereo tv
Surround sound vs stereo tv
Default controller vs elite (or scuff) and paddles
480p/720p tv vs 1080p
1080p tv vs 4k tv
Tv with huge input lag vs gaming monitor with far less
shit tier internet vs Google fiber
30 fps vs 60 fps

"Mp console parity" is and has been a joke

Who is being left behind and why?

I feel like fps matters a lot with input/latency in aiming when it comes to shooters compared to 4k/ultra settings To me that is a big advantage, matters more. Some games go 30 sp, 60 pvp for console?

gamz

I feel like fps matters a lot with input/latency in aiming when it comes to shooters compared to 4k/ultra settings To me that is a big advantage, matters more. Some games go 30 sp, 60 pvp for console?

But you can still play the same game. The majority aren't going to be able to tell who is playing 30 or 60.

Top Bottom