• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) media & Game Informer details [Up: More]

Can't wait for midget/big head Bruce Wayne to kick some butt.
lAD73tw.png

The CGI makes everyone look really weird and disproportionate.

Thanks for posting this, I was very confused by this shot and still don't understand it.

El-Suave

I've loved every entry in the franchise so far. I'm really anticipating this game and very I'm happy that it's out relatively soon.

Kinyou

Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
Wooo

This is starting to sound like the ultimate batman game

For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
This bit sounds a little overpowered, but I have trust in Rocksteady to not mess it up

Alienous

Few more things:

• He beats up some goons and puts the tracker on the antennae. As he walks out he is being shot at buy a guy in a militaristic Batsuit flying through the air at him. The batsuit has a big A on it. He knocks down Batman, stomps on him and says "you aren't going anywhere". He points his gun at Batman's head and the screen fades to black and you hear a gunshot. End of demo.

A ... Azrael?

MormaPope

Banned
1. It just seems to be another tactical layer. Trying to herd enemies together so that you can take them out all at once. That probably takes patience.

2. It's probably there as your companion. You can travel with it, but not into buildings or onto rooftops. It'll probably get damaged in the story at some point, but what I think you should take from that is that there isn't going to be enemies in tanks that can damage your batmobile.

It sounds like there's a window for chaining them together where time slows down. There's likely a certain maximum distance for it. Considering I would occasionally rush in an take out a group of guys (and the game allows for it), it seems fine. The predator sections in AC and AO were never purely "stealth" since you could tackle them in more bombastic ways.

When I read about the chaining thing the first thing I thought of was Far Cry 3. The distance in which you can chain takedowns and how cunning the AI can be will determine if chain takedowns can be easily abused. I really don't like the idea of automated takedowns of any nature to begin with though.

Think you're finding ways to imagine the worst possible scenario without considering the fact that Rocksteady has probably thought this through.

Like the Batmobile. The fact that it's constantly available makes it sound like something more than just something you travel between islands in; rather, sounds like an integral part of the moment-to-moment gameplay.

The issues I have might not be seen as issues by others. Traversing in the batmobile would be more tense and fun if there was traffic or reason to drive carefully, the batmobile being unstoppable seems odd. Gliding or grapplehooking away from enemies is tense and exciting, being able to peace out in the batmobile during confrontations on the streets or being invincible while inside once again seems odd.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seems like there are still a lot of 360 and PS3 games released, not to mention all of the crossgen titles that still focus mostly on the PS3 360 ports. So yeah, there still very much is a Current and a Next Generation of consoles.

Current and last generation of consoles. :p

SykoTech

Given they're not announcing it as Unreal Engine 4 and instead "Rocksteady's modified Unreal Engine" means it's almost assuredly UE3.

It says it's using their modified Unreal engine, so presumably the same engine they used for previous games.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Thanks guys.

A bit of a hype speed bump (along with the annualization thing), but everything else sounds great. Guess I'll wait for gameplay footage before deciding to preorder or wait for the inevitable GOTY edition.

Figured I'd bring this up in this thread too as it could be an idea as to who the new villain is going by the description of the silhouette in the article someone mentioned:

Wrath from the New 52 (I believe):

aKvfXiY.jpg

The Anti-Batman and he'd be an interesting choice.

This is spot on to the silhouette. How new is this guy? There is no way Rocksteady invented a new villain that is identical to this guy.

Seems like there are still a lot of 360 and PS3 games released, not to mention all of the crossgen titles that still focus mostly on the PS3 360 ports. So yeah, there still very much is a Current and a Next Generation of consoles.

Xbox 360 was released nearly a decade ago. It's time to let it die.

Thats quitE a leap

Believe!!!

Few more things:

• You can now use the linear launcher on anything to create ziplines. This is done in mid flight so you can quickly land where you want.
  • All enemies now have the ability to grapple Batman, not just big guys.
  • Roads wont have many vehicles, just some thug cars and cop cruisers
  • There can be enemy riots, up to 50 enemies on screen at once.
  • More Riddler type challenges than just racing.

Some more on the story and the demo GI played. Don't read if you dont want spoilers
  • Starts off with the evacuation of Gotham cause Scarecrow has put fear toxin bombs all over
  • Each villain is doing their own mission to cause chaos and spread Batman thin.
  • Two-Face and Pengiun are shooting cops in the streets.
  • Batman sees the batsignal and meets Gordon at the roof, fills him in on the scarecrow issue and Gordon gets a call from Barbara saying she is out of the city.
  • Batman goes off to find scarecrow thugs and contacts Barbara who is of course still in the city helping him out.
  • He helps some police when an armored vehicle comes through the streets blowing up police cars, batman hops into the batmobile and takes down the vehicle. Out of the wreckage a scarecrow thug tries to throw fear toxin at batman but he catches it and gets the info he wants.
  • He takes a detour to find a riddler thug, you know the drill, this leads him into an underground race track, lab thing where Riddler shows up and says he will be testing you all night long.
  • He beats the race track, Riddler says he will use the data he learned to make much harder tracks later.
  • He next visits the clock tower oracle is in, it has a statue head that you pull back like Adam West's switch, no red button, its a scanner instead. This reveals the hidden room. She is analyzing the toxin from the thug. It has a radiation she can track, Batman needs to reach an antennae in the Falcone shipping yard.
  • He beats up some goons and puts the tracker on the antennae. As he walks out he is being shot at buy a guy in a militaristic Batsuit flying through the air at him. The batsuit has a big A on it. He knocks down Batman, stomps on him and says "you aren't going anywhere". He points his gun at Batman's head and the screen fades to black and you hear a gunshot. End of demo.

Holy shit, that last part sounds great.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Game is already -1 for having Geoff Johns involved. Fortunately, I'm confident Rocksteady can make this an almost perfect 9/10 experience.

viveks86

WOW! Loving all the gameplay details. Just as expected, the batmobile isn't just an alternative to gliding and will be key for certain kinds of gameplay.

I'm still not going to conclude that it's UE3 and not modified UE4. Even if it is, I don't see the reason to be disappointed until we see some screenshots and gameplay footage

Tookay

The issues I have might not be seen as issues by others. Traversing in the batmobile would be more tense and fun if there was traffic or reason to drive carefully, the batmobile being unstoppable seems odd. Gliding or grapplehooking away from enemies is tense and exciting, being able to peace out in the batmobile during confrontations on the streets or being invincible while inside once again seems odd.

I wouldn't put much stock in the "unstoppable" Batmobile comments - we have to remember that Game Informer is just trying to use language (or repeating marketing info) that makes this sound SUPER SWEET to the target demographics.

DieH@rd

Banned
- Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.
- By not being cross-gen they've been able to push what the machines can do
- Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as "a real, genuine next-gen game"
- There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on "making the best single-player experience it can" and doesn't feel it needs multiplayer.
- Game Informer says Rocksteady isn't saying what's next but "it's most definitely not Batman related"
- The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City
- Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant
- Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more/

HNNNNNG

Raptor

Batmobile stuff sounds exactly how the all upgraded agency car acted in Crackdown, hell that was the first thing it reminded me when I watched the trailer, if it behaves like that I will be very happy, practically unstoppable.

Carbonox

This is spot on to the silhouette. How new is this guy? There is no way Rocksteady invented a new villain that is identical to this guy.

May 2013 is when they revealed him I believe.

This game has been in development for well over a year or two, surely?

That means this iteration of Wrath could have been created for the game and the comic at the same time.

It HAS to be the guy.

Love the Batman design. Think the car looks absolutely terrible. Not thrilled that this is another evacuated Gotham scenario. Reasonably excited.

MormaPope

Banned
If the game really is upping the enemy count in encounters like the article indicates, these multi-takedowns might be necessary to keep the pace from slogging. Doing a Predator challenge with 50 guys would be pretty tiresome if there was no way to chain.

Taking on 50 dudes in hand to hand combat is rad, mob combat has always been rad in the Arkham games. If the predator areas are stuffed with guards and its always more efficient to go for chain takedowns that might lesson the tension those areas provide.

Omega

Banned
The user quoted says [new] villain in his post.

Might not mean it's technically a new villain, but a villain that's new to the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
- Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.
- By not being cross-gen they've been able to push what the machines can do
- Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as "a real, genuine next-gen game"
- There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on "making the best single-player experience it can" and doesn't feel it needs multiplayer.
- Game Informer says Rocksteady isn't saying what's next but "it's most definitely not Batman related"
- The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City
- Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant
- Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more/

HNNNNNG

This sounds fantastic. Love that they're going all in on PS4, XBO, and PC.

MormaPope

Banned
I wouldn't put much stock in the "unstoppable" Batmobile comments - we have to remember that Game Informer is just trying to use language (or repeating marketing info) that makes this sound SUPER SWEET to the target demographics.

I wish they would stop that.

Taking on 50 dudes in hand to hand combat is rad, mob combat has always been rad in the Arkham games. If the predator areas are stuffed with guards and its always more efficient to go for chain takedowns that might lesson the tension those areas provide.

Hand to hand is different from Predator, though. Taking out 50 armed guys silently needs a little greasing.

Daante

Really excited for this.

- Single player ONLY
- PS4/XB1/PC ONLY
- 4 Times the size of City
- NO loading times
- Batman
- Rocksteady
- Hype

Top Bottom