• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata still needs a patch on PC 8 months later

PCgamer

Amazing this is still getting coverage but I suppose Square really did drop the ball on this one

In May, Kotaku wrote that it was ridiculous Nier: Automata hadn't been patched on PC. It's even more ridiculous now, six months later. I emailed Square Enix about my issues with the game, and asked if Platinum was still working on a patch. A request for comment was forwarded over to Japan a week ago, but hasn't resulted in an answer as of this writing.

Nier: Automata is still worth playing. It's one of the weirdest, most creative games you can play this year. Or hell, maybe ever. And with Steam sales and the likelihood of another Nier game arriving on PC in the future, people will be buying Automata for years to come. It's not too late for Square Enix and Platinum to make the PC version as good as it deserves to be.

Shifty

I'm guessing that "we're working on it guys" became "hey that fan patch is pretty good" after a while.

Normally I'd pass this off as the usual poor PC post-release support, but out of the box the game still won't run at your chosen resolution, opting instead to pick some weird half-step like 960x1080. That's such a basic thing to screw up, come on Square.

Arefu

Neo Member
It sucks, but since FAR exists and is pretty easy to set up, it really isn't a huge deal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shit like this need to be bashed by reviewers .
Just straight up 2.0 and 3.0 scores.

NihoB

Neo Member
It sucks, but since FAR exists and is pretty easy to set up, it really isn't a huge deal.

Agreed but it doesn't excuse the release and no patch. If it wasn't for the fact that the game was good and FAR, this would be more in the spotlight... hopefully Nier Automata 2 will fair better.

Fbh

Sorry if I'm late to the news but what's the problem with the PC version ?.

I want to get it and am deciding if I should get it in the pro or on PC (keep in mind I don't have a high end 4k 60fps capable rig)

This really sux. I'd understand it if the game underperformed but it was big success and will enjoy years of catalogue sales.

Philtastic

For me, it's extra bad BECAUSE FAR exists which means that it should be incredibly easy for them to officially implement. They don't even have to hunt for the bugs/optimizations themselves.

So does Metal Gear Rising... 46 months later.

As much as I love Platinum, their post-launch commitment to their PC ports is absolutely pathetic. Metal Gear Rising has similar problems (need third party app to fix small but annoying issues) that have never been officially fixed, so I never expected them to actually do it for Nier.. but I hoped they would.

What's worse is that they put out the DLC post-launch like nothing was wrong with the port.

-MD-

I was gonna buy it on steam last night until I was reminded of this.

Would love to play it but if its staying as-is I'll wait for a much lower price point.

Shifty

Shit like this need to be bashed by reviewers .
Just straight up 2.0 and 3.0 scores.

lower, whatever it takes to kill all the sales. These fuckers don't deserve a penny.

That's extreme. How then do reviewers account for the parts of the game that aren't 0/10 worthy, particularly considering that NieR: Automata is in fact a very good game?

I agree that it needs to be highlighted by the press, but point scores are nowhere near precise enough to justify taking an otherwise GOTY-tier title to 0/10 don't buy trash. Point scores are rubbish anyway, but that's another topic.

RPGCrazied

So does the PS4 version, the frame pacing is so bad I can't play it. Maybe if the framerate was locked to 30 it might be smoother.

That's extreme. How then do reviewers account for the parts of the game that aren't 0/10 worthy, particularly considering that NieR: Automata is in fact a very good game?

I agree that it needs to be highlighted by the press, but point scores are nowhere near precise enough to justify taking an otherwise GOTY-tier title to 0/10 don't buy trash. Point scores are rubbish anyway, but that's another topic.

If you had a novel that was released in the wrong language or a film which required you to set up your TV cables in a weird, unique way then critics would tell people to avoid them. Basic functionality (for example, working resolution support) is just something expected from products, particularly expensive, big budget releases from major publishers. This isn't some weirdly high bar for Square-Enix and Platinum to clear.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seeing this game became successful and sold well, I hope SE gives Yoko Taro more budget for his next game.

I don't know, it's a big deal when you consider that something like Metal Gear Rising has a similar story of lacklustre support and is pretty much impossible to run smoothly on certain systems.

My own PC could run Witcher III fine but MGR just judders all the time. So it's not cool they leave this to the community

Arefu

Neo Member
I don't know, it's a big deal when you consider that something like Metal Gear Rising has a similar story of lacklustre support and is pretty much impossible to run smoothly on certain systems.

My own PC could run Witcher III fine but MGR just judders all the time. So it's not cool they leave this to the community

MGR is just straight-up weird. Apparently connecting to display with an HDMI can cause issues.

I personally was able to run MGR at low+medium at 720p 60fps on one of my old junk PCs (a Pentium + Radeon HD 6570) a few years ago, so its not so much taxing so much as just very bizarre issues. There is some fixes for it though, but again while it fixes the issue, it really should be included with the final product.

At the end of the day though, I'm fine with making minor tweaks as opposed to not having it at all. On the flip side, I can't justify it not being in the final product because it is very lazy.

In Nier's case, it's more alarming because Square put out an update about a week after it launched implying there would be some sort of fix. Eight months later and still nothing, and to a degree, I'm sure the community simply accepting FAR made it a less pressing issue for them to deal with.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Gitaroo

I feel like people still don't understand that the most direct way for big publisher to take action on anything is when they stop seeing going into their pocket. Love the game but fuck these garbage developers and publishers.

I noticed Nier Automata on steam at a discount so I wondered if it had been patched already. I'm not paying for a game that requires an unofficial patch to run correctly. No way! I don't care how cheap it is. From the looks of it, I don't think this game will ever receive an official patch.

Alebelly

I love this game, massively disappointing that Square feels zero responsibility for not issuing a such a basic resolution patch

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mgames-is-working-on-a-nier-automata-pc-patch

“Square Enix and PlatinumGames are working with PC device manufacturers, like AMD, to address the issues with the Steam version of the game because some of the issues are not what Square Enix and PlatinumGames alone can resolve fundamentally. With AMD’s help, Square Enix and PlatinumGames have successfully resolved some of the issues, and we hope to achieve similar results with other hardware makers. We appreciate your continued patience and support for Nier Automata.”

I noticed Nier Automata on steam at a discount so I wondered if it had been patched already. I'm not paying for a game that requires an unofficial patch to run correctly. No way! I don't care how cheap it is. From the looks of it, I don't think this game will ever receive an official patch.

When it hits the 20 dollar mark, I will buy it.

Until then I just can't convince myself to even though it is so well reviewed

I really enjoyed itt on PC, only issue I had was the resolution not saving.
having to change it everytime is a pain in the ass.

Nier Automata is one of the defining titles of this generation. It'd be an absolute shame if Square didn't have enough respect for its artistic merit to preserve this classic with a polished and patched PC version. It's shameful behaviour from the execs at Square to not allocate the development resources to ensure that the PC version is the best version. In ten years time no one will be playing it on PS4, but a lot of PC gamers will certainly be wanting to discover it for the first time. If the PC is considered a modern museum of gaming, then consequently, a publishers worth can be determined by the value it puts in ensuring that the PC version is of the highest quality.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nier Automata is one of the defining titles of this generation. It'd be an absolute shame if Square didn't have enough respect for its artistic merit to preserve this classic with a polished and patched PC version. It's shameful behaviour from the execs at Square to not allocate the development resources to ensure that the PC version is the best version. In ten years time no one will be playing it on PS4, but a lot of PC gamers will certainly be wanting to discover it for the first time. If the PC is considered a modern museum of gaming, then consequently, a publishers worth can be determined by the value it puts in ensuring that the PC version is of the highest quality.

It seems SE never interested supporting Yoko Taro games, I mean just look at Drakengard 3. That game is technical mess and yet SE did nothing to fix it. I truly believe more people would have enjoy Drakengard 3 if had better performance. you could argue Drakengard 3 didn't got good reviews and didn't sell well so SE didn't want to bother trying fix it.

But unlike Drakengard 3, NieR Automata got great reviews and I believe it sold well, so I don't know whats SE's excuse for not supporting the game.

Shifty

I feel like people still don't understand that the most direct way for big publisher to take action on anything is when they stop seeing going into their pocket. Love the game but fuck these garbage developers and publishers.

The problem with voting with your wallet is that you can't leave a note saying "fix your goddamn PC port" when you do so. Your only option is an implicit "I don't want this", which is not nuanced enough to communicate the specifics of the problem.

Reviews ignoring any positive elements of a game and giving a bad PC port 0/10 to make a point and attempt to kill its sales is more likely to result in the publisher saying "PC doesn't sell, let's stick to consoles in future since those versions got good reviews" than "oh yeah we fucked up and gave part of our userbase a bad product, let's fix it".

It's a rubbish situation, but in the current environment the press explicitly calling it out like this is probably the best we can hope for in terms of actually getting the message across.

Speaking of Squaresoft FFXIII-2 is the worst thing I've ever bought on PC.

Impossible to play smoothly. The stuttery PS3 version of the game is better, unbelievably.

This shit should not be ok. This cannot continue

Kaleinc

Banned
SE works with studios that deliver high quality ports like Tomb Raider so they just don't give a shit and Platinum are forever incompetent. The only way to change this is 0 units sold on steam and 1 million negative reviews 'Shit port'.

The problem with voting with your wallet is that you can't leave a note saying "fix your goddamn PC port" when you do so. Your only option is an implicit "I don't want this", which is not nuanced enough to communicate the specifics of the problem.

Reviews ignoring any positive elements of a game and giving a bad PC port 0/10 to make a point and attempt to kill its sales is more likely to result in the publisher saying "PC doesn't sell, let's stick to consoles in future since those versions got good reviews" than "oh yeah we fucked up and gave part of our userbase a bad product, let's fix it".

It's a rubbish situation, but in the current environment the press explicitly calling it out like this is probably the best we can hope for in terms of actually getting the message across.
I think you're going towards the other extreme though. A game doesn't have to receive a 0 for it to hurt. That's not realistic anyway, 0s don't exist for... I want to say any reviewer? The discussion is more about a 5-6 over a 8-9, and I'm disappointed that reviewers aren't using what little influence they have to pressure publishers or developers into fixing stuff like this.

It's weird, and it's a shame. I feel that reviews for movies tend to be more harsh, and that's a final product that won't change, while games, which can change, are rarely put under the pressure to, with very comfortable and soft reviewers.

Then again, maybe it's just an exaggerated issue. I'm not sure, but it is causing me to wait for a sale for a game I really want.

Vulkar59

I bought it on PC and really should have return it at the first sign of trouble. I stopped playing due to the issues and hopeful that a patch would come about. Yet here we are so many months later.

Alebelly

How is it on the PRO?

It has some framerate issues here and there, definitely could use an optimization patch. But, I really don't think it hindered the experience much at all. Depends how sensitive you are to games that don't run as well as they should. Its a great game.

(That said, I am very disappointed this game didn't get another patch or two, even more so PC version)

Top Bottom