• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Boston and NYC at the end of June.

TyrantII

Gillette and Manchester don't really tie into the public transportation network that well. You'll have to take a train, and then once at the destination probably a taxi / uber, unless you bring a bike.

Head to this thread for lots of things to do in Boston

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1365868

Amtrack is great, but we have nothing on European train travel. It'll probably be slower and less homey than you're used to. But it'll get the job done. They also run out of North Station and service small towns up to wellsfleet in Maine. Portland would be a pretty awesome day trip for that seaside town. There's also a ferry in Boston that takes you Provincetown on the Cape.

If you're into beer and in the Boston area, I'd recommend a couple places I really liked (in no particular order):

1. Deep Ellum - great selection of local and regional craft, good food. The porch out back is nice.
  2. Sunset Grill - 100ish taps and huge bottle list, just about everything you could want. The nachos...oh man so good.
  3. Publick House - Focus on Belgian beer, but other things available (mussels & frites are great)

edit: To add, as others have said if you're in the New Haven area, definitely check out one of the heavy-hitters for pizza there - Modern, Sallies, Bar, Pepe's, are all very excellent (just about everyone local always has a favorite which they'll defend as 'the best' though :) ).

To get to some of the other communities, yes.

Where you're staying the area around there is also pretty walkable.

Yes i figured as such when i booked it, it was the only reasonably priced room i could get in central Boston.

Is Fenway and Harvard Walkable to or is subway the best way? Last time we walked around a long way, most of freedom trail to north end, then to MIT, to back bay, ate some close to prudential and then walked back to the parking garage close to commons. We were only a proper day in Boston last time. This time i have 23rd - 27th june, train leaves in the morning 9.30ish.

Yes i figured as such when i booked it, it was the only reasonably priced room i could get in central Boston.

Is Fenway and Harvard Walkable to or is subway the best way? Last time we walked around a long way, most of freedom trail to north end, then to MIT, to back bay, ate some close to prudential and then walked back to the parking garage close to commons. We were only a proper day in Boston last time. This time i have 23rd - 27th june, train leaves in the morning 9.30ish.

Taking the T would be the fastest from where you are.

If you're into beer and in the Boston area, I'd recommend a couple places I really liked (in no particular order):

1. Deep Ellum - great selection of local and regional craft, good food. The porch out back is nice.
  2. Sunset Grill - 100ish taps and huge bottle list, just about everything you could want. The nachos...oh man so good.
  3. Publick House - Focus on Belgian beer, but other things available (mussels & frites are great)

edit: To add, as others have said if you're in the New Haven area, definitely check out one of the heavy-hitters for pizza there - Modern, Sallies, Bar, Pepe's, are all very excellent (just about everyone local always has a favorite which they'll defend as 'the best' though :) ).

Sunset Grill seems to be where i will go before my fenway game. Seems to not be too far away with the T as well. And good nachos is something i love.

TyrantII

My hotel in Boston is HI Hostel at Kneeland St, is subway the best way to get around in Boston?

Absolutely. You're right in downtown and the system is a spoke / radial system so you pretty much have access to every subway line.

Boston is also very walkable and safe, so if it's nice you have plenty withing 4 miles to explore.

For example you can easily walk down Newbury Street (shopping) or Boylston (food/mall/Boston public Library) and then head to the Fenway neighbourhood. It's only about a 2 mile walk with stuff along the way.

I'm curious, what is the draw to seeing the Harvard campus? I'm looking for specifics not just "its historic".

I ask because I've worked in Harvard Square on and off for about 7 years now and I just don't get the tourist draw of it short of maybe interest in the architectural aspect. It feels more like an outdoor shopping center than anything else to me.

I'm certainly grateful for its draw because it's paid my bills for awhile, but I'd love an outside perspective on why you'd like to see it.

Also, yeah you really should go to Sunset. I've only been to the Allston location, but damn those nachos. Also if you're possibly looking for a local gaming shop about 2 blocks West from that Sunset is Replay'd. Great selection of current and retro stuff. Really friendly staff. And the 57 bus picks up right in front of it, which will bring you down to Kenmore Station (about 2 blocks from Fenway).

I'm curious, what is the draw to seeing the Harvard campus? I'm looking for specifics not just "its historic".

I ask because I've worked in Harvard Square on and off for about 7 years now and I just don't get the tourist draw of it short of maybe interest in the architectural aspect. It feels more like an outdoor shopping center than anything else to me.

I'm certainly grateful for its draw because it's paid my bills for awhile, but I'd love an outside perspective on why you'd like to see it.

Also, yeah you really should go to Sunset. I've only been to the Allston location, but damn those nachos. Also if you're possibly looking for a local gaming shop about 2 blocks West from that Sunset is Replay'd. Great selection of current and retro stuff. Really friendly staff. And the 57 bus picks up right in front of it, which will bring you down to Kenmore Station (about 2 blocks from Fenway).

Harvard seems to be a really interesting and cool landmark, Also one of the most renowned and most famous universities in the world if not the most. :)

That's why pretty much.

Thinking about doing a guided tour of Fenway on the afternoon before the game, then head out to Sunset Grill, have a dinner of sorts there. Then head back to Fenway for the game. Could be a good idea?

Bumping thread with update.

Rebooked my hotels for Boston and NYC and came up over $300 cheaper.

New and final hotel for Boston is DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Boston - Cambridge, not nearly as central as my first booking but $150 cheaper and nicer room. Close to Harvard and Fenway as well.

New NYC hotel is Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, was also about $130-150 cheaper than the Leon Hotel for the same dates, so. Since i arrive by train it was nice to find a cheaper hotel close to Penn Station.

Go to the Hatch Shell Pops preview concert on the 3rd. (No way in hell would I go on the 4th)

Echoing this just to look up the Hatch Shell concert series this summer. Often throughout the week there are evening concerts for free with some excellent traveling orchestras.

Bumping thread with update.

Rebooked my hotels for Boston and NYC and came up over $300 cheaper.

New and final hotel for Boston is DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Boston - Cambridge, not nearly as central as my first booking but $150 cheaper and nicer room. Close to Harvard and Fenway as well.

New NYC hotel is Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, was also about $130-150 cheaper than the Leon Hotel for the same dates, so. Since i arrive by train it was nice to find a cheaper hotel close to Penn Station.

Nice, the Boston hotel isn't central to downtown, so it's a little inconvenient, but it's a fine location that you can quickly get anywhere by cab/uber, and within walking distance to public trans. Unfortunately there's not a lot immediately around that hotel just because of the trainyard and Mass Pike interchange, along with Sturrow Dr/Soldier Field Dr (which are essentially highways) are right there, but it's convenient location to get into and out of the city as it's conveniently located right next to major streets in and out.

Wag

Echoing this just to look up the Hatch Shell concert series this summer. Often throughout the week there are evening concerts for free with some excellent traveling orchestras.

Nice, the Boston hotel isn't central to downtown, so it's a little inconvenient, but it's a fine location that you can quickly get anywhere by cab/uber, and within walking distance to public trans. Unfortunately there's not a lot immediately around that hotel just because of the trainyard and Mass Pike interchange, along with Sturrow Dr/Soldier Field Dr (which are essentially highways) are right there, but it's convenient location to get into and out of the city as it's conveniently located right next to major streets in and out.

I wouldn't stay downtown in general- too expensive. I would get a room in a hotel in one of the suburbs like Waltham and just take the T in. There are plenty of nice hotels along Rte95/128.

See if you can get a deal at The Westin, Embassy Suites or something. A lot suburban hotels run Boston shuttles anyways.

I wouldn't stay downtown in general- too expensive. I would get a room in a hotel in one of the suburbs like Waltham and just take the T in. There are plenty of nice hotels along Rte95/128.

See if you can get a deal at The Westin, Embassy Suites or something. A lot suburban hotels run Boston shuttles anyways.

Yep it's what i figured when i booked this hotel.. :) Central hotels in Boston is even more expensive than on Manhattan, if you exclude like 5 star hotels. Maybe it is because Manhattan is bigger with much more hotels and competition tho.

It provides free shuttles to Copley Square (good for the morning im going by train from Back Bay station), Downtown(aquarium) and Harvard Sqauare. So i'll just hop on one of those shuttles in the morning.

Also walking distance to that Sunset Grill with those nachos.

Also, Providence is closer to Gilette Stadium according to Google Maps.. So Pats might be more of a Providence than Boston team? ;) haha

LiK

As a Bostonian, I'll say you'll need to visit Fanueil Hall where all the tourists typically go to.

As a Bostonian, I'll say you'll need to visit Fanueil Hall where all the tourists typically go to.

Think i were there last time, but i will probably pass by it again if not when i go to the North End for that highly recommended italian food. :)

ferry to staten island is really just cool to see the statue of liberty without going to the actual statue, and it looks like you already went to the statue so it's probably not worth it, unless there's something you want to see in staten island, and there isn't anything worth seeing in staten island, sorry staten island.

coney island is worth a trip for a visitor. there's also a lot of great eastern european / central asian neighborhoods around coney island where you can get great cheap eats. i'm pretty into cafe kashkar, a uighur restaurant in brighton beach.

i live pretty close to the neighborhood you're staying, there's a lot to eat there, especially if you wanna dive into chinatown.

Well, personally, I'd skip Boston and stay longer in NYC. Boston is quite small. And compared to NYC, well, no place really compares to NYC, it's pretty boring. You won't get sick of NYC.

And there are other cool cities in America to go to. Boston is cool, but wouldn't go out of my way to go there when you are already going to NYC and could potentially go somewhere else, like somewhere on the westcoast perhaps.

Well, personally, I'd skip Boston and stay longer in NYC. Boston is quite small. And compared to NYC, well, no place really compares to NYC, it's pretty boring. You won't get sick of NYC.

And there are other cool cities in America to go to. Boston is cool, but wouldn't go out of my way to go there when you are already going to NYC and could potentially go somewhere else, like somewhere on the westcoast perhaps.

Boston was part of the plan in the first place because at first the plan was to see U2 at Gilette Stadium, But the plan has altered has time has passed, now im instead gonna see a Sox game and other things i hadnt planned first :) Will also do some other recommendations ive gotten in this thread, likely newburyport and so.

But i liked Boston quite alot last time around but then i only visited for about a day. Quick visit to walk freedom trail and some other things. NYC i have like 8 days for.

Terrorblot

The Merritt Canteen and Micalizzis are good places to eat. Also the zoo isn't bad.

http://www.micalizzis.com
http://www.merrittcanteen.com

If you are going to get pizza in CT, get Colony. Pepe's and Sally's are only good if you want burnt pizza. NY pizza is still better then all of them. If you go to New Haven, hit up Louis lunch for a burger

http://www.louislunch.com/index_mobile.php?action=mobile_index

http://www.colonygrill.com

Yo that Pepe / Sally comment is straight up treason. Frank Pepe's is a Connecticut treasure.

Sitting on the plane using wi-fi i paid $20 for, but hey cant be without internet, gaf and so on for 7 hrs.

Cant wait to get there, landing at 4.40 PM pretty much.

I mean, New York pizza is pretty sad, so it's not too hard to be better than that.

That said, I finally got around to having Pepe's Pizza in New Haven for the first time a couple of days ago, and... it was alright I guess... I mean, it was pizza... but it was really nothing special. And the couple of slices I had left over until the next day were honestly pretty bad as left-over. But, it was alright fresh, but nothing I'd really go out of my way for again (didn't really go out of my way for it this time either, had been at Yale-New Haven Hospital for some stuff, and figured I may as well stop by while I was in the area).

I mean, New York pizza is pretty sad, so it's not too hard to be better than that.

That said, I finally got around to having Pepe's Pizza in New Haven for the first time a couple of days ago, and... it was alright I guess... I mean, it was pizza... but it was really nothing special. And the couple of slices I had left over until the next day were honestly pretty bad as left-over. But, it was alright fresh, but nothing I'd really go out of my way for again (didn't really go out of my way for it this time either, had been at Yale-New Haven Hospital for some stuff, and figured I may as well stop by while I was in the area).

Unless you are from Italy you have horrible taste

GiJoccin

did you only do a tour of Ray's Original locations?

did you only do a tour of Ray's Original locations?

New York original Sbarro pizza, of course.

No, but seriously, it was a while ago, so I don't remember the places that I tried from.
But, the qualities that people always highlight in New York pizza (flimsy and floppy and falling apart) are negatives in a pizza for me.

BostonGAF, what should i hit up first to eat? Should i go to north end and have italian at al dente? My hotel is like said smack down in the middle in financial district.

GiJoccin

No, but seriously, it was a while ago, so I don't remember the places that I tried from.
But, the qualities that people always highlight in New York pizza (flimsy and floppy and falling apart) are negatives in a pizza for me.

but none of those are desirable qualities in a NY slice...

BostonGAF, what should i hit up first to eat? Should i go to north end and have italian at al dente? My hotel is like said smack down in the middle in financial district.

What are you in the mood for? Anything in particular? Looking for something quick/cheap?

flimsy and floppy? who has ever highlighted that?

I was just thinking of checking back in on this thread the other day. Looks like you'll be getting some nice weather for the Boston stretch. Wish I could recommend some eats but when the wife and I are in there we tend to bar hop and get appetizers wherever we go.

I was just thinking of checking back in on this thread the other day. Looks like you'll be getting some nice weather for the Boston stretch. Wish I could recommend some eats but when the wife and I are in there we tend to bar hop and get appetizers wherever we go.

Dunno why but i rarely get rain and shitty weather whenever i travel. So pretty lucky there. Also the seat next to me is free on the plane, Another lucky draw today. Window seat and No one to share space with.

North End? Hit up Regina Pizzeria, or screw all of that area and go to Chinatown and get some bubble tea. There's a Bahn Mi sandwich place too that's bomb.

Top Bottom