• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

CrazyDude

Wait. .. how old is naruto's generation now?

Naruto is 31-32 in chapter 700.

I mean yea, but then it did stuff like huge mechas that can shoot lasers and eh, just seems silly, even with metalbenders being a thing imo

But yes, belief can be suspended due to the long jump in time, but Boruto's in comparison is quite lacking. I don't care that much mind you, but it is hilarious that they have TV and stuff now. I'll never not poke fun at it.

They had TVs in the original series.

latest

Fj0823

I mean yea, but then it did stuff like huge mechas that can shoot lasers and eh, just seems silly, even with metalbenders being a thing imo

But yes, belief can be suspended due to the long jump in time, but Boruto's in comparison is quite lacking. I don't care that much mind you, but it is hilarious that they have TV and stuff now. I'll never not poke fun at it.

Naruto had TVs and Cinemas

ReiGun

The only thing about Naruto's workload that gets me is I don't understand why it takes him so long when he's a one man office staff. He has more than enough chakra to make, say, a dozen clones, divide the paperwork between then, and get it all done while he himself does public appearances, attends political meetings, or plays with his damn kids. And since the clones are perfect copies of him, they are just as qualified to make any important decisions or address any issues that come up. Plus, he won't miss anything because once the clones dissapate, he instantly gains all of their knowledge.

You gotta work smarter, not harder, Naruto.

Of course, this isn't a big deal. I could easily dismiss it as being considered uncouth for the Hokage to use shadow clones to skip out on work. Or something of that nature. But it's something that's been in the back of my mind since the Boruto movie.

The only thing about Naruto's workload that gets me is I don't understand why it takes him so long when he's a one man office staff. He has more than enough chakra to make, say, a dozen clones, divide the paperwork between then, and get it all done while he himself does public appearances, attends political meetings, or plays with his damn kids. And since the clones are perfect copies of him, they are just as qualified to make any important decisions or address any issues that come up. Plus, he won't miss anything because once the clones dissapate, he instantly gains all of their knowledge.

You gotta work smarter, not harder, Naruto.

Of course, this isn't a big deal. I could easily dismiss it as being considered uncouth for the Hokage to use shadow clones to skip out on work. Or something of that nature. But it's something that's been in the back of my mind since the Boruto movie.

He's already using tons of clones, and I imagine having a clone due to super important stuff is probably against the rules/law/etc.

If anything, he needs a proper bureaucracy to do the mundane stuff leaving only the important stuff to him.

CrazyDude

He's already using tons of clones, and I imagine having a clone due to super important stuff is probably against the rules/law/etc.

If anything, he needs a proper bureaucracy to do the mundane stuff leaving only the important stuff to him.

I do wonder if splitting up clones also splits up your energy as well. I mean using clones lets you do more stuff, but it probably doesn't give you more energy.

We've seen Naruto slacking and only pretending to be working in the movie too, though (when Shikamaru walks by his office to tell him Boruto passed the next round of the Chunin exam).

He could still make a couple of clones and read all the documents he has to (inside his office), but something tells me Naruto find all that work too boring. In that regard, Boruto seems to be more intelligent when it comes to the use of his clones already (brainstorming ideas for example), and the movie seems to imply that he really is kind of brilliant as a ninja too... kind of like Sasuke, but he's pretty stubborn and kind of arrogant as well.

Well now he is no longer a Ninja Kage for war and ninja missions, he basically does what a President/Vice President of the Fire Nation (with the King) and Mayor of a city does.

Economic deals, interviews, etc..

Konoha is a Metropolis now

compared to before

The evolution begin with Kakashi who reformed the Hokage position to more then what it was

Lmao none of this is more taxing than having to deal with constant threats of kage level organisations, having to deal with village relationships when they were sour, the jin problem.

Doesn't come close to the turmoil in the 1st and 2nd hokages times where a lot of systems were not even present and where war was likely.

The movie showed Naruto attend TV shows, ceremonies, and carry a granny across the street. Stop lying to yourself.

Yea I think peace time Hokage work would be much more work then War time Hokage work. The new Leaf as lots of interaction with other village.

Isn't naruto dealing with more villages because of peace time and it looked like they were becoming more modern/ growing?

This makes zero sense. Relations would require more effort when the villages were less co-operative. Modernisation has really very little to do with Naruto. He signs deals, thats it in that department and he's not alone on that: Shikamaru.

Tobirama was the best Hokage

Some people give him flak for starting the Uchiha coup (in a way) but he was... kind of right the whole time. Also supposedly the one who put in place all of the modern ninja systems. Kinda weird how he was so water oriented as the Fire guy, but he's got some of the coolest techniques so I'm not complaining

Tobirama was nothing but a poor mans Hashirama. Not even Naruto comes close to the great Hokage that was Hashirama.
Boy didn't need a Kyuubi to battle Madara, heck he fought the Kyuubi and Madara at the same time and still won. Had faith in his people and so everyone looked up to him, like a true leader and when it came to protecting the people he had no exceptions.

i-wont-forgive-them-hashirama.jpg

Everyone's second rate compared to Hashirama.

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
What's the general consensus regarding the show? Entertaining? Does it feel like those filler shipuuden arcs? Animation quality any good or is it usual Pierrot?

Feels like SP filler. The show is going at an incredibly slow pace, (they'll probably re adapt the movie as well lol), trying not to catch up to the already slow manga. The only over arching plot seems to be Boruto's eye.

In terms of animation it looks a lot better than Naruto due to the new director. There hasn't been any outstanding animation yet, and would be less likely as a lot of the great animators have moved on (though I'm hoping they come back for Sasuke).

Moaradin

What's the general consensus regarding the show? Entertaining? Does it feel like those filler shipuuden arcs? Animation quality any good or is it usual Pierrot?

General vibe of this thread is that it's been pretty good. It's spending a lot of time with the characters, which is something Naruto sorely needed early on. Animation quality has been a huge improvement on average, even though there hasn't been any big action setpieces yet. There's been some decent animation sprinkled throughout for some minor scenes, which feels pretty different for Naruto. Usually the show will look like garbage for 30 episodes until they blow their wad on this huge fight, but this has been a lot more consistent.

It's considered great. Fun characters with great interaction. It feels like a main story, since well it is. The animation has also been constantly good aside from episode 2 which I thought was weaker.

It doesn't feel like filler, if that's what you're afraid of.

Speaking of Hokage, something I still fucking despise and simply can't forgive is that Kakashi was made Sixth Hokage. That should have been Naruto, and Konohamaru should have been the 7th as he said he would be at the start of Part II.

ReiGun

Speaking of Hokage, something I still fucking despise and simply can't forgive is that Kakashi was made Sixth Hokage. That should have been Naruto, and Konohamaru should have been the 7th as he said he would be at the start of Part II.

One reason I hope we move ahead in time soon is I want to see more Konohamaru. Dude gotta be a beast by now.

Yado

It's considered great. Fun characters with great interaction. It feels like a main story, since well it is. The animation has also been constantly good aside from episode 2 which I thought was weaker.

It doesn't feel like filler, if that's what you're afraid of.

"Love & Potato Chips" didn't feel like a filler episode?

vXsSP2j.gif

Yado

Not really. Felt like your usual early shonen episode focusing on different characters of the main cast to me. It also had a shadow possession moment. Monster of the week style.

Episodes like that usually come with some background exposition, I certainly didn't learn anything new about ChoCho or any other character other than the filler boy maybe?

Episodes like that usually come with some background exposition, I certainly didn't learn anything new about ChoCho or any other character other than the filler boy maybe?
Even if we did not learn muxh about other then going a little bit into the type of character she is, it was still imo a monster of week episode with a little more focus on her and Miss class president. Also filler boy? There is no filler right now. It's all canon.

One reason I hope we move ahead in time soon is I want to see more Konohamaru. Dude gotta be a beast by now.

He better damn well be, and that dude better be able to summon apes as well as toads. I was disappointed when he didn't summon on earlier in the show.

If they well and truly kill of Naruto at some point, Konohamaru should be Hokage, and I wanna see him wreck some shit. Like give my dude Ape Sage Mode and all the elements like his granpappy.

lol if Sakura was the Hokage and Sasuke was her right hand man (like Shikamaru) and this series rotated around Sarada then Psycho_Mantis would be whistling a different tune. ;)

Meh Boruto is a lot more interesting as a main character for me. I don't need a Naruto series based around another kid who's main goal is to be Hokage.

Khezu

Sarada is like the boring parts of Naruto and Sasuke rolled into one character.

Well Boruto is the fun parts of them rolled into one character.

Moaradin

I like Sarada from the movie. She's definitely more interesting than Sasuke and Sakura. She hasn't really had much in the show yet.

EhoaVash

Sarada from Gaiden was Soooo good lol, makes me wish Kishimoto wrote boruto :( Kinda hate what they're turning her into now.

Anyway finally we're getting more interaction from past characters/Naruto interacting with his kids for once, something I've been waiting for instead of another school day with boruto and friends...

Also lol how the heck are they going to be retconning boruto's eyes with the movie where he doesn't even have it. Seems like someone fucked up. Also weird that they brought back toneri guy. And fucking hell really not liking how much assholish Naruto is to his kid, like that line where he says boruto couldn't possibly awaken the byukagan withhout hard work, shit doesn't make sense when his daughter did....like fuck so many plot holes wtff

Sarada is like the boring parts of Naruto and Sasuke rolled into one character.

Well Boruto is the fun parts of them rolled into one character.

I dunno about that, Boruto can be a right little dickhead when he moans about Naruto.

One thing about Sarada in particular that does bug me out though is that her anime VA sounds way too old. She sounds like the grumpy old aunt at every wedding.

MartyStu

So far in the anime, not so much. Whereas it is making come around on Boruto surprisingly.

I think I am going to chalk this one up to Pov. Sarada was only interesting when the story was told from her perspective.

I am sure that if she were the main character, she would be written as a more engaging character. Right now, she is maybe half a step above the class president in terms of effort put into her characterization.

ChoCho is the best secondary character so far.

lol if Sakura was the Hokage and Sasuke was her right hand man (like Shikamaru) and this series rotated around Sarada then Psycho_Mantis would be whistling a different tune. ;)

Everyone knows Sarada is the more interesting character, but no. SP are trash either way.

Sarada from Gaiden was Soooo good lol, makes me wish Kishimoto wrote boruto :( Kinda hate what they're turning her into now.

Anyway finally we're getting more interaction from past characters/Naruto interacting with his kids for once, something I've been waiting for instead of another school day with boruto and friends...

Also lol how the heck are they going to be retconning boruto's eyes with the movie where he doesn't even have it. Seems like someone fucked up. Also weird that they brought back toneri guy. And fucking hell really not liking how much assholish Naruto is to his kid, like that line where he says boruto couldn't possibly awaken the byukagan withhout hard work, shit doesn't make sense when his daughter did....like fuck so many plot holes wtff

Like you said, without Kishi writing, these characters have been changed. SP will hardly focus on Sarada, just like how they hardly focused on Sasuke. SP have a boner for hero glorification and Sasuke hugely undermined that.

Ross61

It's the first time in a long time that I can't wait to watch something Naruto related every Wednesday. So yes it's good.

Red Fire

Everyone knows Sarada is the more interesting character, but no. SP are trash either way.

Like you said, without Kishi writing, these characters have been changed. SP will hardly focus on Sarada, just like how they hardly focused on Sasuke. SP have a boner for hero glorification and Sasuke hugely undermined that.

Yeah but sasuke is trash so it's good there was no focus on him

Sarada on the other hand ain't bad so we will see where it goes

theWB27

Lmao none of this is more taxing than having to deal with constant threats of kage level organisations, having to deal with village relationships when they were sour, the jin problem.

Doesn't come close to the turmoil in the 1st and 2nd hokages times where a lot of systems were not even present and where war was likely.

The movie showed Naruto attend TV shows, ceremonies, and carry a granny across the street. Stop lying to yourself.

This makes zero sense. Relations would require more effort when the villages were less co-operative. Modernisation has really very little to do with Naruto. He signs deals, thats it in that department and he's not alone on that: Shikamaru.

Tobirama was nothing but a poor mans Hashirama. Not even Naruto comes close to the great Hokage that was Hashirama.
Boy didn't need a Kyuubi to battle Madara, heck he fought the Kyuubi and Madara at the same time and still won. Had faith in his people and so everyone looked up to him, like a true leader and when it came to protecting the people he had no exceptions.

i-wont-forgive-them-hashirama.jpg

Everyone's second rate compared to Hashirama.

Relations require more effort when the relation isn't there. Makes perfect sense.

You're point about naruto only signing deals means you're going to put a bunch of effort into minimizing what he does. I'm sure the script would be flipped if sasuke were in his position.

charsace

I wish this series wasn't about the kids of already famous and powerful people and was about someone who doesn't have any history, a real nobody.

Relations require more effort when the relation isn't there. Makes perfect sense.

You're point about naruto only signing deals means you're going to put a bunch of effort into minimizing what he does. I'm sure the script would be flipped if sasuke were in his position.

So you're just agreeing with Naruto having an easy time then, because by the time Naruto came in power, the five villages were already well tied and in an alliance.

Its the truth. What meaningful plot point has Naruto dealt with as a hokage. I can name numerous for the other kages bar Kakashi. The only one I can think of was dealt with outside the village.

The same criticism can be applied to Sasuke. Kishi wrote Sasuke's mission as some heroic cause to prevent the invasion of another Kaguya like enemy, and yet we see nothing of what he actually does, even more so when his mission was in another dimension and was gone for years.

Yeah but sasuke is trash so it's good there was no focus on him

Sarada on the other hand ain't bad so we will see where it goes

Nah, Sasuke made the manga what it is.
Have you seen Boruto the movie or Gaiden? There's going to be a ton of focus on Sasuke soon.

theWB27

So you're just agreeing with Naruto having an easy time then, because by the time Naruto came in power, the five villages were already well tied and in an alliance.

Its the truth. What meaningful plot point has Naruto dealt with as a hokage. I can name numerous for the other kages bar Kakashi. The only one I can think of was dealt with outside the village.

The same criticism can be applied to Sasuke. Kishi wrote Sasuke's mission as some heroic cause to prevent the invasion of another Kaguya like enemy, and yet we see nothing of what he actually does, even more so when his mission was in another dimension and was gone for years.

Nah, Sasuke made the manga what it is.
Have you seen Boruto the movie or Gaiden? There's going to be a ton of focus on Sasuke soon.

You're asking me to point out what naruto has done as hokage when its just started? That's your angle? 15 years of story for the other hokage but lets compare naruto's reign to that?

You should pump your brakes to seeh where the story goes during his reign before acting as though he's done less than past hokages with an actual history.

We actually now know Hashirama was an inheritor of sorts of the Sage of the Six Paths' youngest son, so the power he possessed does make more sense in that context.

And at the end of the day, as we've seen in Naruto, it doesn't matter how you got your power for the most part. If you have it, you have it, and it's all about how you use it. Naruto was significantly younger than the likes of Hashirama by the end of the second half of Naruto. So his power being where it was was an amazing accomplishment in itself. Imagine where Naruto will be once he reaches Hashirama's age. Naruto is an absolute monster. No if ands or buts about it.

All Hokage had a period of peace and stability before things really started to hit the fan. Naruto will have his moment to shine as Hokage in a very big way. Just give it time.

They almost have to be I feel that's pretty important especially since
sarada awakens her sharingan there

they already announced Scarlet spring via a magazine publication

to para-phrase the statement said: " Sarada will have more screen time in the future in a upcoming arc surrounding her, Sakura, Sasuke and Sarada's red glasses"

the Hokage one-shot though it up in the air and likely won't happen since they already animated it via a OVA

You're asking me to point out what naruto has done as hokage when its just started? That's your angle? 15 years of story for the other hokage but lets compare naruto's reign to that?

You should pump your brakes to seeh where the story goes during his reign before acting as though he's done less than past hokages with an actual history.

Not really. Point is, plot says Naruto is so busy, yet shows him doing genin tier jobs, something a Hokage should never be doing, with no detail on actual concerning matters.

Kishi had the excuse that he didn't want to write further plotlines as Boruto the movie was his conclusion. New manga team and SP have no excuse.

This wouldn't be a problem if this point wasn't such a big plot point.

We actually now know Hashirama was an inheritor of sorts of the Sage of the Six Paths' youngest son, so the power he possessed does make more sense in that context.

And at the end of the day, as we've seen in Naruto, it doesn't matter how you got your power for the most part. If you have it, you have it, and it's all about how you use it. Naruto was significantly younger than the likes of Hashirama by the end of the second half of Naruto. So his power being where it was was an amazing accomplishment in itself. Imagine where Naruto will be once he reaches Hashirama's age. Naruto is an absolute monster. No if ands or buts about it.

All Hokage had a period of peace and stability before things really started to hit the fan. Naruto will have his moment to shine as Hokage in a very big way. Just give it time.

Senju heritage sure but his wood style is what sets him apart. Takes on Madara with Susanoo and Kyuubi at the same time.

Not really. Point is, plot says Naruto is so busy, yet shows him doing genin tier jobs, something a Hokage should never be doing, with no detail on actual concerning matters.

Kishi had the excuse that he didn't want to write further plotlines as Boruto the movie was his conclusion. New manga team and SP have no excuse.

This wouldn't be a problem if this point wasn't such a big plot point.

Senju heritage sure but his wood style is what sets him apart. Takes on Madara with Susanoo and Kyuubi at the same time.

That's true, but the power he generates into those techniques, and the level to which he uses it, has a great deal to do with his relation to the Rikudou Sennin and being the direct spiritual successor to the Sage's youngest son.

I really don't like that the village gets destroyed again, come on man this kinda shit wasn't supposed to happen on Naruto's watch, dude was all talk, smh.

VeeP

I really don't like that the village gets destroyed again, come on man this kinda shit wasn't supposed to happen on Naruto's watch, dude was all talk, smh.

Naruto did stop the destruction of the village in the movie didn't he? How many nuclear threats is he suppose to stop lol.

Wild Card

He was late for Pain, stopped it in the movie, and apparently in episode 1 it gets destroyed again...soo my boy is 1 for 3.

Top Bottom