• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

I've been saying it for years: Drop the KDR stat. Drop it completely from Battlelog. Hell, drop anything that isn't the accuracy stat from Battlelog. Win Loss? Who gives a shit, play your very best.

M16. AN-94 was hot flaming trash in BF3 unless you kept it full-auto (and even then it was still hot flaming trash). If DICE fixed it to be like the KH2000 or the AN-94 in BC2 then OMG that one.

Ummm no, it's an incredibly good weapon and using it on full auto is completely ignoring it's main strength... the accurate and quick 2-shot burst. It's also got surprising hip fire accuracy which gives it strength even in close encounters. Again though, the 2-shot burst is key. Using it on any other firerate is a crime. At full auto, it shoots too slow.

I do agree though, that games should remove the KDR stat, or perhaps most stats. People too concerned about their spreadsheets rather than just playing the game.

AN-94 was hot flaming trash in BF3 unless you kept it full-auto (and even then it was still hot flaming trash). If DICE fixed it to be like the KH2000 or the AN-94 in BC2 then OMG that one.

Are you talking about pre-patch? Because it got a ridiculous buff that makes the 2-shot ridiculously OP.

Afro

AN-94 was hot flaming trash in BF3 unless you kept it full-auto (and even then it was still hot flaming trash). If DICE fixed it to be like the KH2000 or the AN-94 in BC2 then OMG that one.

i may be wrong here, but I thought the AN was pretty much brought back to its true form (a la BC2) after the first major patch in BF3.

snookee

Neo Member
The flight ceiling for helicopters will be lowered in BF4, in order to force players out of hover camping exploits. Attack helis will most likely be closer to the ground now, flying actively, which gives people a better chance of shooting them down.

Also engineers can carry RPG and stingers at the same time now and boats pack a lot of serious anti-air capabilities.

AND we will have a limited number of flares. So yeah, good luck pilots. :)

Thanks for the info Tekku, I hope these changes even the balance somewhat.

RoKKeR

Looks really good. I felt like I was watching BC2 at first and couldn't really put my finger on why...

...BUT, doesn't it seem like there is a lot more chatter going on amongst the soldiers? Yelling, communicating, noises when getting shot, etc., that was something that BC2 did really well and I just can't remember BF3 having anything like that. Essentially "spacial audio" is what I'm calling it, yelling in the distance is faint/echo-ey, I'm rambling but it just sounds a bit more like BC2 because of that.

I'm sure BF3 has it but I don't know, it just sounded like BC2. Across the board the sound is fantastic, much improved over BF3 even.

demolitio

Also lvlcap confirmed the M16A3 is now burst fire again just like BC2.

he tweeted about it earlier and you can see it in that vid

So why the hell do they still use an A3 model? The whole point of using the A3 in BF3 (which the military never adopted) was for fully automatic fire as a good starting weapon and then they had the A4 in there as burst only which made sense. So why continue calling it an A3 and not just use the CORRECT A4 model?

I don't understand that if it's not even for game purposes now.

Makoto

Seems a bit silly to do that when a much more simple solution would simply be to limit the range of it's projectiles. Chopper sniping from a mile away? Make the bullets only go a half mile. Of course, give some sort of feedback to the chopper as to what is in range and what's out of range.
The biggest issue I have with this is that making the gunner's main guns lose any effectiveness at certain ranges is contradictory to Battlefield's current philosophy. No projectile in BF3 really has a limit to its range (except for the TV missile), it just gets gets much more inaccurate the farther it travels. I feel limiting the gunner's main guns is sort of a bandaid to a bigger issue, which to me is that the attack chopper in its current form in BF3 has little reason to be an active participant in battles (in other words, providing close air support and generally helping the team). Nowadays, the attack chopper is just an excuse to sit on the edge of the map and pad your stats by picking off unsuspecting infantry. In my opinion, that shouldn't be the case and that's why I also want the boundaries for it to be restricted as well, to keep the attack chopper in the map, near control points.

Nokterian

Footage looks pretty solid. I hope for the love of god that the launch will be good..but have my doubts since EA never learns from this.

Tekku

So why the hell do they still use an A3 model? The whole point of using the A3 in BF3 (which the military never adopted) was for fully automatic fire as a good starting weapon and then they had the A4 in there as burst only which made sense. So why continue calling it an A3 and not just use the CORRECT A4 model?

I don't understand that if it's not even for game purposes now.

They have now changed the name to M16A4. Alan Kertz confirmed this on Twitter a couple of hours ago.

demolitio

They have now changed the name to M16A4. Alan Kertz confirmed this on Twitter a couple of hours ago.

Thank God. Last video I saw still had an A3 so I was confused. I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with the M16 even with burst only since the fire-rate is still quite high. The A4 was one of my go-to weapons in BF3 for certain mid-long-range maps.

mikeGFG

Banned
Looks really good. I felt like I was watching BC2 at first and couldn't really put my finger on why...

...BUT, doesn't it seem like there is a lot more chatter going on amongst the soldiers? Yelling, communicating, noises when getting shot, etc., that was something that BC2 did really well and I just can't remember BF3 having anything like that. Essentially "spacial audio" is what I'm calling it, yelling in the distance is faint/echo-ey, I'm rambling but it just sounds a bit more like BC2 because of that.

I'm sure BF3 has it but I don't know, it just sounded like BC2. Across the board the sound is fantastic, much improved over BF3 even.

Holy shit, man. You're right on the money; It's the sounds, it's the UI, its the killfeed, and its the lack of disgusting blue-tint.

I'm hype once again.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'd love to see increased ticket bleed rate in Conquest and an increased ticket count to balance it out. That would emphasize the need to capture points, de-emphasize kill to death ratio, extend the length of highly contested matches and decrease the length of complete steamrolls.

Spot on.

Holy shit, man. You're right on the money; It's the sounds, it's the UI, its the killfeed, and its the lack of disgusting blue-tint.

That's still in.

bf4_zps6bd50d6e.jpg

RoKKeR

Spot on.

That's still in.

bf4_zps6bd50d6e.jpg
Dacia, you sly dog. No. I'm sorry bro but the blue tint is gone. Look at that map in the daytime, not when it's overcast/stormy. Look at Shanghai, it's all clean.

I'm hype once again.

Glad to see I'm not crazy!

TCRS

Banned
omg I'm so hyped for BF4 after that video!! My most anticipated game, more than GTAV. Shame that I won't get a PS4 before spring and won't be able to play BF4 until then :/

BUT I have to say none of the weapons really excited me (except dat M240B :D). My three favourites are not amongst them (AK-74, SCAR L and L85) and I'd like more old style weapons. Right now there's only that boring plastic snooze fest of an overpowered M16. I want a proper AK, 74 or 47!

I'm sure there'll be DLCs with more assault rifles but I hope they add one of those.

2 things need to change in this game for me to purchase it for PC, the hit detection and prone through walls that shit has to stop, Dice enough with the Lazy programming, I enjoyed BF3 but, seeing snipers prone through a broken wall kill you, but you can't hit them was frustrating one of the reason i quit BF3 after 9 months...

The Flash

Banned
I wanna see some more Engineer gameplay myself. I understand DICE's decision to make PDW's default for Engineers but I am going to respectfully ignore that decision and stick with carbines. The AK-5C in particular looks really good from what I've seen. Love that the RPG-7V2 is available to all factions as well.

zma1013

The biggest issue I have with this is that making the gunner's main guns lose any effectiveness at certain ranges is contradictory to Battlefield's current philosophy. No projectile in BF3 really has a limit to its range (except for the TV missile), it just gets gets much more inaccurate the farther it travels. I feel limiting the gunner's main guns is sort of a bandaid to a bigger issue, which to me is that the attack chopper in its current form in BF3 has little reason to be an active participant in battles (in other words, providing close air support and generally helping the team). Nowadays, the attack chopper is just an excuse to sit on the edge of the map and pad your stats by picking off unsuspecting infantry. In my opinion, that shouldn't be the case and that's why I also want the boundaries for it to be restricted as well, to keep the attack chopper in the map, near control points.

But chopper sniping is an effective way to help the team, that's what the chopper is for, killing people. Sitting back clearing off a control point of enemies as your team moves in to take it is very helpful. It doesn't need to be near a point to help and frankly becomes less effective the closer it is. The chopper isn't for capping points or flying 10 feet away from a target like you see in the ridiculous BF4 video.

I'll agree that limiting the the range is contradictory of the rest of the design, so perhaps a better idea is to simply increase the spread at a distance. I just don't like the idea of making so many invisible walls in the game. It negates the ability for escape in many BF3 maps because several of them don't have much in the way of cover for an air vehicle. It's obvious there's a very fine line between making the chopper into an unstoppable killing machine and turning it into a flying coffin.

Soo many different grips! I understand the 'reduction to first shot recoil' and 'decrease in reduction to accuracy while shooting on the move', but 'stability' refers to the gun AFTER it settles down from initial recoil, right? I gotta catch up on my gun jargon.

Seanspeed

Banned
In bf3 they were almost too good. If you used them a while you could own with them. Short range long range they were deadly.
Long range, they weren't that deadly. Best used for suppression in those circumstances. Assault rifles were far and away better in those situations and carbines about equal, with less damage, but more accuracy.

They were definitely great for short-to-medium range battles, though.

SHADES

M16. AN-94 was hot flaming trash in BF3 unless you kept it full-auto (and even then it was still hot flaming trash). If DICE fixed it to be like the KH2000 or the AN-94 in BC2 then OMG that one.

If your using the AN-94 on full auto then your doing it wrong!

It's an awesome mid range assault rifle but suffers CQC so you either play to the style of weapon in hand or change your weapon.

Ubersnug

Can anyone confirm if the the storm that whips up on Paracel Storm has an adverse effect on the control of helicopters? Or even, an effect on bullet drop and direction?

demolitio

But chopper sniping is an effective way to help the team, that's what the chopper is for, killing people. Sitting back clearing off a control point of enemies as your team moves in to take it is very helpful. It doesn't need to be near a point to help and frankly becomes less effective the closer it is. The chopper isn't for capping points or flying 10 feet away from a target like you see in the ridiculous BF4 video.

I'll agree that limiting the the range is contradictory of the rest of the design, so perhaps a better idea is to simply increase the spread at a distance. I just don't like the idea of making so many invisible walls in the game. It negates the ability for escape in many BF3 maps because several of them don't have much in the way of cover for an air vehicle. It's obvious there's a very fine line between making the chopper into an unstoppable killing machine and turning it into a flying coffin.

Agreed. The way it's set up now, it's a lot easier to support a cap from far away and pick people off because just how many engineers are out there and how many things can lock on to you. BF3 pilots did what Apache pilots do in real life which is support ground forces from so far away that the enemy hardly knows they're about to die, let alone by a helicopter. For a game, this is obviously drastically reduced and isn't nearly as effective or long-range, but that core principle still stands: Support ground forces from a safe distance to avoid being the one that needs support yourself.

The choppers are nowhere near as effective as they were in BF2 and a lot of things are dangers to them so it's only natural for them to use their tools from a safe distance.

I fly a lot but I tend to move my chopper around and fly low to break any locks by hiding behind objects but it's still a gamble and it's only a matter of time until too many Stingers, tanks, mobile AA, etc. lock on to you to be able to shake them all even with my friend in the gunner seat using flares. Most players don't last long in the air because of that so it makes sense for people to want to fly high and avoid lock-on range. Afterall, it's something choppers should do if they have the optics for it and no other air units are a threat. Either you fly low and risky or hover high above and pick people off, but you can't expect them to help ground forces more while limiting them even more considering the reason they don't fly all over the map right now is because of how easy they are to take down.

I know Demize loves limiting air units' roles to the overall match, but if he didn't go so overboard with the AA options, then people wouldn't fly so high to begin with since you didn't see it often in BF2 and when you did, a jet was going to take care of them anyway on most maps. I can still do alright, but if the gunner is a pub then I'm screwed too which is why I'd love more PC friends.

The key is finding a balance between BF2, BC2, and BF3, but limiting them more without changing anything else isn't going to go over well, especially if you're allowing engineers to have 2 equipment slots meaning even MORE engies will have AA launchers equipped when it's already the most-played class.

Am I alone with thinking the recoil has been toned down? Or is it the stock he's using?

I thought the exact same thing, especially when seeing the FAMAS. That gun wasn't great in BF3 but in that video, it had very low recoil when it has one of the fastest fire-rates in the game. That was a little concerning since recoil is something DICE does so well that makes the game actually rely on skill in engagements. Hopefully that's a WIP or something because that mid-range kill on full auto was quite insane for that weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom