• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

It sucks for all you British people, but atleast you don't have Donald Trump running your country.

Out of curiousity, when would it be possible to reverse this decision? Could there be a vote held to rejoin the EU?

Yes, in fact Britain has already been 'invited' to rejoin. An independent currency likely won't be on the table, however, nor will the power Britain is used to presently.

grumpy

Now that the sterling is gonna have approximately the same value as used toilet tissue, I will single-handedly save the british export industry by ordering a crapload of cheap games from amazon. Well, technically the games I'll be buying are not made by british companies and i'm sure amazon is one of those companies that are not paying as much as they should be paying into the exchequer and i'm sure that they funnel all their profits in Luxembourg or w/e, but what I'm trying to say is thanks for tanking your economy <3

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It sucks for all you British people, but atleast you don't have Donald Trump running your country.

Out of curiousity, when would it be possible to reverse this decision? Could there be a vote held to rejoin the EU?

I think I'd prefer Trump. Worst case scenario, you only have to put up with him for 8 years. We'll still be negotiating the fallout from this long after Trump's gone.

Uzzy

Just so people are aware, we aren't leaving the EU on that date. We're beginning the discussions for the "deal" of leaving which is estimated to take a couple years at least.

So, you've got a fair bit of time to start amassing bottle caps.

Freddo Bars will be the post-Brexit currency anyway.

But there was no reason for them to accept the result.

Yes there was. Brexit sucks but the entire point of the referendum was an in out referendum on our EU membership. It wasn't ever billed as an "advisory" referendum, it only technically was because there's no provision for the UK to hold referendums legally binding on the govt. The idea it could just be totally ignored is just not credible in the slightest, unfortunately.

Xun

UK-Union-Flag.png

LET'S MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN!

BRUSSELS AREN'T GOING TO STOP US NOW!

LET'S SAVE OUR NHS.

LET'S KICK IMMIGRANTS OUT AND TAKE BACK CONTROL!

UNITED KINGDOM FOR LIFE!

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT!

UK-Union-Flag.png

We're fucked, but honestly? I don't give a shit anymore.

I'm out of this shithole as soon as I can be and I hope anyone with a brain does the same.

As sadistic as it may sound I want the people who voted for this out of ignorance to suffer immensely.

Well, bye neighbors, I'll miss you. I loved the year I spent in London as an exchange student. Too bad younger generations probably won't have easy access to that opportunity anymore.

Dougald

Yes there was. Brexit sucks but the entire point of the referendum was an in out referendum on our EU membership. It wasn't ever billed as an "advisory" referendum, it only technically was because there's no provision for the UK to hold referendums legally binding on the govt. The idea it could just be totally ignored is just not credible in the slightest, unfortunately.

It's also made redundant the only opposition the Torres were worried about (UKIP) and exposed the incompetence of labour even further. The conservatives are sitting on top of the world right now

Wasn't the AV referendum legally binding?

Xun

As bad as Trump is, he's only temporary.

This unfortunately isn't.

Protome

We're fucked, but honestly? I don't give a shit anymore.

I'm out of this shithole as soon as I can be and I hope anyone with a brain does the same.

As sadistic as it may sound I want the people who voted for this out of ignorance to suffer immensely.

Brain drain is going to be one of the most crippling parts of all this. If the EU is smart they'll make it easy for skilled workers to get out of the UK.

I'll never forgive people who voted for this. They have destroyed the opportunities for young people in this country. No more Erasmus, no more European internships, no easy work opportunities, etc.

giphy.gif

On my life, I will never vote Conservative. They will have stripped me of rights and protections I was born with, for the sake of their own internal power play. They will have questioned the legitimacy of my identity as a European, where once there was no contradiction in my British and Polish ancestry. The Brexiteers battled for decades to see their dream of a British departure from the EU realised. Well you know what, fuckers?

Two can play that game.

pswii60

I'll never forgive people who voted for this. They have destroyed the opportunities for young people in this country. No more Erasmus, no more European internships, no easy work opportunities, etc.

That's if a 'Hard Brexit' actually comes to fruition. I see it as nothing more than strong words and a negotiating position, I doubt it'll be all that hard in the end, and I also expect there will be a long, drawn-out interim agreement that will last for years, to avoid a cliff-edge.

I'd say it'll be an interesting few years, but I'm already sick of hearing about it.

My dad, who voted for Brexit, was talking about retiring to France yesterday. These people live in their own little world where they'll lose nothing but gain everything.

Idiots and morons, the lot of them. I'd take pity on them if they weren't dragging me with them. Instead they get nothing but anger.

NekoFever

Wasn't the AV referendum legally binding?

Not strictly speaking. It would have made the proposed changes to the electoral system automatically, but Parliament is sovereign and so could reverse the changes or repeal the act allowing for the referendum afterwards. Obviously that would have been stupid because people voted for it, but it would have been legal.

The final fuck you from the baby boomer Thatcherite cunts that weren't content of fucking over one generation but had to stick it to the even youngest.

Fuck these Thatcherite cunts, luckily enough for them they'll all be fucking dead by the time the real strain hits.

Don't worry though after brexit it's the fucking disabled on benefits that'll be blamed for ruining the country.

If there's a riot where we finally target the fucking Tory leadership I'll be there to drag these cunts out their houses. Bastille Day these fucks.

But like i said they'll all be dead by that time. We're literally making decisions on the countries future based on the wishes of a bunch of soon to be dead boomer cunts.

Cos they worked so hard for their massive wealth Thatcher fucking served them up, honest.

TheChaos0

Urgh, so it begins. I want to stay positive though. As positive as it's possible, all thing considered. People need to vote the Tory majority out, doesn't look like it's going to happen the next election but maybe the one after. I don't particular like Labour either but they need to get their shit together, Corbyn or no Corbyn.

Zaph

9 days until the things people want to get better get worse and the things they want less of (immigrants) increases. Oh, and the Tories have a blanket excuse for as much fuckery as they want.

This will be bad, but knowing now that we are a country capable of falling for the Brexit scam, I think we *need* Brexit. British exceptionalism was always there, but this has highlighted just how bad it is and how delusional the public has gotten. I think this will ultimately be the line in the sand that defines future generations for the better.

TimmmV

We have Theresa May running the country though, and will soon be leaving an organization that was powerful enough to prevent the government really taking the piss. And no effective opposition to her whatsoever, whether that be Labour/Lib Dems, the press, or the House of Lords. Trump really really sucks for everyone, but there at least seems to be decent opposition to all the shit he's trying

Don't worry though after brexit it's the fucking disabled on benefits that'll be blamed for ruining the country.

It will still be the foreigns/browns/muslims tbh. Migration will still be happening in the UK, just their lives while living here will be substantially worse than before. Yay!

iMax

We have Theresa May running the country though, and will soon be leaving an organization that was powerful enough to prevent the government really taking the piss. And no effective opposition to her whatsoever, whether that be Labour/Lib Dems, the press, or the House of Lords. Trump really really sucks for everyone, but there at least seems to be decent opposition to all the shit he's trying

This is what worries me the most. Brexit shouldn't be allowed to happen without a restructuring of government to enable proper checks and balances to occur.

Plum

We're walking into the proverbial final exam of our time having done no revision, with no idea of what the questions will be, and with an examiner whose best interests are to see us fail.

We're fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom