• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So has anyone tried 3D blurays on PSVR yet?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know there is a beta update but I'd like to hear folks impressions of 3D Blurays on PSVR?

D23

Posted this on the Psvr ot. Impressions from r/PSVR

Reading these impressions from r/PSVR about the 3d Blu ray update got me HYPED!
[–]joesploggs 8 points9 points10 points 3 hours ago 
I'm impressed with it. It's a lot better quality than watching through our 3D TV with glasses (passive). Just watched my daughter's copy of Frozen it looked great.
Couple this with the fact cinematic mode has been updated to look much crisper... this is a fantastic update!!
[–]wrighton1989 2 points3 points4 points an hour ago 
Just tried Hugo 3D after updating the PSVR firmware to 4.5
I have to say I'm impressed! Film looks great in large screen mode and the 3D effect is as good as the film makes it. I'd say it's really immersive with the 3D audio adding to it somewhat.
Only negative I'd say is how comfortable it will be after an hour+.
To sum it up it's like sitting in your own private IMAX with a huge screen and perfect 3D effect as there's no glasses.
[–]RedSpecialFX 2 points3 points4 points an hour ago 
I've tried the force awakens, Jurassic park and pacific rim so far and I'm impressed with the results. I love watching movies on my 3dtv but this beats it which I didn't expect to be honest.
Zero cross talk that I can see, nice depth and pretty impressive with the Pop out moments.
It's very close to a cinema 3D experience, the force awakens in particular seemed really close to what I remember from viewing the movie in 3d at my local Imax. The screen might not be as crisp as that screen but its definitely improved since the update.

BadgerNL

Neo Member
I've watched a bit of Batman vs. Superman 3D with PSVR for testing. Since I don't actually own a 3D TV, I can't compare the two, but it gave me the 3D vibe I normally get in cinemas. In short, it looks pretty good, but I think the quality loss with the headset is noticable.

Note for the other beta testers: the PSVR processing unit requires an update to be installed before you can use the 3D Blu-Ray option.

I just posted this in the PSVR OT. I'll just cut and paste it here because I'm not smart enough to know how to quote myself while on mobile:

Just watched Dredd 3D using the new PSVR mode. Very impressed. The 3D effect is more natural than using active shutter glasses on my old 1080p Panasonic plasma. A couple of times I noticed that the resolution was lower that a native full HD screen, but nothing major. I did notice some multi-coloured pixel shimmer in dark scenes (though strangely not in the pure black background of the credits), which looked a bit like the not-quite-black of the OLED panel that you see in some games.

Overall I was very impressed. A better effect than either active shutter or passive polarised glasses.

I also tried out the "sidetone" feature that I just found out about. I don't think it's new, but it captures sounds from the headset mic and sends them to the headphones. I tried it on level 5 but I could hear myself breathing. Dropped it to level 2 and it's enough to hear if the wife or kids are wandering around without being too distracting. Useful if you want to have some awareness of what's going on in the real world when your eyes and ears are in VR. Apologies if this is old news, but it appears in the 'audio devices' system menu when the PSVR is powered on.

Planet

I have tried The Hobbit: Smaug's Desolation, because it is a true 3D film, recorded that way, not just edited some layers in later on like sadly most 3D titles.

It runs quite nicely, detail is good, though clearly lower res than on TV, of course. But subjectively better than games, because those have higher contrasts and sharper edges. I'd say it is the maximum quality you could expect from the PSVR display. The sense of depth is very nice.

Sadly, I forgot to inspect the sound mixing, will do that in a later session eventually. Nice feature: the movie runs just like without PSVR on TV with no quality loss. I have a 3DTV (passive, LG 1080p) and it was stereoscopic. Don't know what happens when you connect a regular TV while using PSVR for 3D movies.

On a side note: there are definitely YouTube videos in stereoscopic 360! Though many are somewhat broken, it basically works since 1.10 app update.

Used my Disney rewards to get Tron Legacy 3D, can't wait to try this out since I never owned a 3D TV. Hell I didn't even know PSVR games were in 3D until I learned about it today XD.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I popped in Hugo just to test it out. It definitely seemed more pleasing to the eye than watching it on my previous TV which was passive 3d and therefore crushed the resolution and picture quality and made the picture dull. The image on the PSVR is never super crisp, but it is decent enough and the colours are not sacrificed which is great.

I'm glad I have the option of watching the 2 3D BluRays I own in this way as my new TV isn't 3D. But I've never been much of a fan of 3D movies, so I'm possibly not the best judge.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Thanks folks. Great impressions. I'm really looking forward to the update.

Since the 3D requires an update to the PU(breakoutbox) also, does it by any chance support any 3D signal in Cinema Mode - or only Blu-rays played by the PS4?

I'd love to hook up WipEoutHD or Shadow of the Colossus in 3D if it would work.

orioto

Good Art™
What they need to do is to allo the ps4 to simulate multichannel sound now, cause last time i checked they just put the sound virtually where the screen is.

Overall I was really impressed with 3D Blu-ray through PSVR. The picture is a little soft, but the 3D works brilliantly. It's a great new feature.

crimilde

Banned
I need to go out and buy a 3D bluray to test this. It's very uncomfortable for me to wear 3D glasses at the cinema because I wear prescription glasses, but the PSVR is so comfortable that it might actually be fun now!

Apt101

PSVR and 3D blurays? Man I am out of the loop. I have the Hobbit on 3D, I'll give it a shot as soon as I get 4.5.

Lancelot

Just tried with The Force Awakens and it's amazing! Felt like I'm at an IMAX theater. Using the large screen option, the front edge of the Star Destroyer almost blinded me. You guys need to try it!

Nessus

Question for anyone who has experience with this:

Does it just feel really weird/uncomfortable to watch the movies "full screen" with no head tracking? Like just the movie, in 3D, filling the screen, no virtual movie theater, etc.

Bookman

I don't seem to have any 3d option. I assume that there is some upgrade that I haven't received yet? Is there som special app for vr movies?

I tried the one blu i have thats 3D..this imax documentary called Hubble and it looked really good.

Hope this makes sense..the 3Dness of it is much more impressive than the image quality. I just dont see why anyone would watch a movie this way..the floating in space screen and the pixely picture make Cinema mode more of a neat gimmick than a viable way to watch movies or play games.

That said...waiting for Best Buy to open so I could buy a few real movies just to tinker with. I have a 3DTV too so I might buy some glasses..if I could find any.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's 3D without glasses and the downsides of glasses
Picture is the same as it would be in 2D, colourful and bright but in 3D, no crosstalk or anything.
I'd say the picture quality isn't as sharp as it would be on your TV but very similar to what you get at the cinema with that grained look to it.

DavidDesu

Cannot wait to try Gravity 3D on this. I suspect using the large screen it will be very comparable to my I max experience (which was insane). That film in Imax had hands down the best 3D implementation I've seen. The scale of things was perfect (unlike some films where it's like looking at small people, if you catch my drift).

I'll have to plug in my PSVR and compare, though I don't know if I'll prefer it.

I have an 4K LG C6 '55 OLED 3D TV and the passive glasses, combined with no backlight, make 3D something out of this world. Truly impressive for 3D.

With PSVR using an OLED screen, I definitely need to compare how 3D films look against my TV.

antibolo

Banned
I've been wondering, considering that the beta also updates the PSVR processor firmware, could it be that the resulting updated PSVR also supports 3DTV from other sources than the PS4??

Would be nice if one could go back and play the handful of 3DTV-supported PS3 games with it.

Matticers

I don't have a 3D TV but I have some 3D blurays despite that so this is pretty cool news. It actually makes me want a PSVR even more since it would give me a way to watch those movies in 3D. I'm sure this isn't the best way to watch a movie in 3D but I like having the option.

Hale-XF11

I've never owned a 3D TV, so having this as an option now is pretty fantastic.

Watched all of Tron: Legacy last night in one sitting. Didn't experience any discomfort, which is nice. Overall, I'm impressed enough that I now want to start a 3D blu-ray collection.

Just purchased Monster House for cheap on ebay, so whenever that arrives, I'll give that a try.

Scanna

I just sold my 3DTV, you are telling me then that with PSVR and a regular TV I could watch all of my 3D blurays again soon?
That's great! Will maybe buy PSVR now then!

Marcoos

Not a part of the beta, but looking forward to trying this feature out when it rolls out to the masses. I've recently gone from a HD 3D TV to a 4K with no 3D. So might not need to sell those 3d blu rays after all!

Theonik

3D not dead shocker. :)
Oh it's deader than dead. It's just that Sony is adding a new way to view these disks while even their TVs are dropping it this year unless you buy last year's ZD9 that won't be replaced for a while.

Wollan

Such a perfect timing for me. Sold my 3D TV this saturday and receing my new non-3D LG B6 55 TV later this week.

Top Bottom