• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

Moonlight

Banned
pb4EdlW.png

This and all other headers in this OT are courtesy of pariah164!

ezgif-1708633318xdk56.gif

yoc16YR.png

Developer: Sukeban Games
Publisher: Ysbryd Games
Genre: Visual Novel/Adventure
Release Date: June 21, 2016
Platforms: PC/Linux/Mac, Vita (TBD), iOS (TBD)
Price: 14.99 USD (Steam | itch.io)

tIiGUgk.png

In this world, corporations reign supreme, all human life is infected with nanomachines designed to oppress them, and the terrifying White Knights ensure that everyone obeys the laws.

But, this is not about those people.

You are a bartender at VA-11 HALL-A, affectionately nicknamed "Valhalla." Although it is just a small bar downtown, it attracts the most fascinating people this side of dystopia. Keep your clients lubricated and you will be made privy to the most interesting stories.

Xn0STaa.png

Staff:

Jill

jilln2jqm.png

The protagonist and our eyes and ears to Valhalla. Can be a bit of a grump, but cool-headed and sharp-witted.

Dana

2016-06-208htkev.png

Your boss and your best friend. A bit eccentric, with a strange past you only catch glimpses of in her many anecdotes, but reliable all the same.

Gillian

2016-06-2079kk66.png

Your partner behind the counter and senior at work. An affable kind of person, though the respect he actually gets from his clients and his fellow staff is in question.

Patrons:

Dorothy

2016-06-20rkjer.png

An android sex worker built to very specific tastes and one of the bar's most persistent regulars. Very open about herself (to the discomfort of others), and likes sweeter drinks.

Anna Graem

annagraemm2kqk.png

A perfectly normal young woman, though somewhat attracted to grimmer conversations.

Alma

2016-06-2061tjsi.png

A professional hacker with her fair share of romantic troubles. Proud of what she does with the work stories to match. Enjoys alcohol.

Deal

dealw7kb3.png

An android working under the Seifer Toy Company, a corporation employed almost exclusively by cybernetically enhanced dogs. Part time beleaguered office secretary, but full time dog lover.

Betty

betty5rjxa.png

A veterinarian working for the Seifer Toy Company, attending to its' employees. Intelligent and serious, and very opinionated on the topic of unnecessary cybernetic enhancement, but a fun drunk.

Streaming-chan

2016-06-209e4ki4.png

Wherever she goes, a camera and an endless feed of scrolling text follows. Streaming-chan broadcasts every single moment of her life to the world at large, shilling subscriptions and doing whatever she can to manipulate her viewership.

And many others!

tIiGUgk.png

Work:

VA-11 HALL-A is, principally, a game about bartending. Though it's a visual novel, dialogue choices aren't represented through menus of listed options, but rather what your client is asking for and how cheeky you might feel when serving them. Clients order drinks and you fulfill them by dragging and dropping the current proportions of ingredients into your mixer. Right or wrong answers don't exactly exist, however, and you might take your conversations with your clients in different directions and your relationships with them to different conclusions serving your drinks with a little more alcohol than they asked for, or a little less, or even by surprising them with something else entirely.

Home:

Before the day starts and just after it ends, you can spend your free time catching up on current events, shop around to customize the look of Jill's apartment, and do some drinking of your own.

MPZdtrN.png

Screenshots:

Trailers:
Story Trailer
Final Trailer

Music:
Bandcamp

bfA1I3r.png

Q. There was a Vita version confirmed, right?
A. Right. Handled by Wolfgames, and expected to release sometime later this year (if all goes well).

Q. How many clients are in the game?
A. A little more than 20.

Q. It says it's a VN. Is this a dating sim or something?
A. Well, you're a bartender, not a bachelorette. You'll form relationships with your clients, and they'll grow and change depending on how you serve them. But there's not much romance (at least as far as Jill's concerned) and no story-redirecting 'routes' for specific characters like many other VNs have.

Q. Best girl?
A. Alma, duh.

Q. Who is Alice_Rabbit?
A. No one really knows. Only that they're a hacker of incomparable skill and influence in the criminal underworld. Some speculate that they could be many hackers under one persona, an AI inhabiting the net, or eve5/v)a/"T?-gVH %

ALICE.gif

I saw the thread title and the first .gif with "Glitch City 207X A.D." and was like "shit, I know just the person who needs to play this game". there's a buddy of mine who would eat this shit up.

Then again, I would also. And I'm probably going to get down on this.

Been looking forward to this one, but debating on waiting for the Vita version. Seems like something I might enjoy more there, but kind of want to support it now.

epmode

I bought this a while ago. From what I played of the prologue, I really like the music and the look. Not sure about the writing.

AHA-Lambda

I'm strangely intrigued by this and don't know why, am I wrong in saying all you do is serve drinks to the patrons?

Steel

Banned
Now the question is: can I hold out long enough for this to come out on vita?

The answer: This OT and the demo was enough to destroy my will.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda can't believe this is finally coming out.

I think the game was also supposed to be coming to GOG, for those who want to go that route, but don't quote me on that.

dkoy

Ah man I just pre-ordered this and forgot there's going to be a vita version. Still, looking forward to it.

Flandy

This gonna have a discount on Steam I'm assuming? Would be nuts to launch this close to the summer sale without at least 10-20% off

Christian

One of my absolute most anticipated games. Can't wait 'till this lands on Vita. We're getting an LRG edition, too, right?

Theodoricos

I played the demo yesterday, and I absolutely loved what I saw. I'm really, really excited for this game. The concept is great and the execution so far seems to do the premise justice.

Oh, also, this is the best OT title I've seen in a while. Nice. :D

Top Bottom