• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland will be updating Dying Light over the next 12 months with 10 pieces of DLC

Fbh

Wow Techland sound like cool devs. For someone who has neither bought nor played the game, does it hold up well from release?

With the hot topic of late being predatory/exploitative systems and micro transactions, any of that stuff in the game?

I started playing this in Co-op with a friend not long ago.

So far it has been really fun and holds up great. The world is really fun to explore and the parkour movement is some of the best of recent times. After getting used to how everything works, moving around is fast and intuitive and unlike so many other games where parkour is basically engaged with a button and you almost move automatically (like Assassins Creed), here your input is still very important. Also, at least early on, the game does a great job of making you feel vulnerable but still capable. You are almost inhumanely good at parkour and moving around.... but big groups of zombies are still a scary sight you have to avoid and going out at night (when stronger enemies come out) is always incredibly tense and rewarding

The only thing I haven't liked is combat with other human enemies (zombies, on the other hand, are fun). I expected them to be intense encounters where they can kill you really fast but so do you (because they are human so a stab to the face should be lethal). Instead they are damage sponges and it all just feels a bit clunky and janky.

Don't know if there are paid DLC (aside from the expansion). But if there are the game is definitely not very "in your face" about it

MaKTaiL

Wow Techland sound like cool devs. For someone who has neither bought nor played the game, does it hold up well from release?

With the hot topic of late being predatory/exploitative systems and micro transactions, any of that stuff in the game?
It's one of my favorite games this generation (I've played it more than 10+ times). Graphics are crazy good to this day. Make sure you grab the Enhanced Edition that comes with all the DLCs (you will be missing out on 4 costume/buggy paint job DLCs but they are cheap and not that much important, just cosmetic).

MaKTaiL

Everyone: "Loot Boxes and overpriced DLCs are the new norm and are here to stay. Deal with it!"

Techland:

giphy.webp

MADGAME

The game is great and holds up well. There are some paid dlc. But one year later, Techand announced they were offering several free dlc’s out of nowhere.

I started playing this in Co-op with a friend not long ago.

So far it has been really fun and holds up great. The world is really fun to explore and the parkour movement is some of the best of recent times. After getting used to how everything works, moving around is fast and intuitive and unlike so many other games where parkour is basically engaged with a button and you almost move automatically (like Assassins Creed), here your input is still very important. Also, at least early on, the game does a great job of making you feel vulnerable but still capable. You are almost inhumanely good at parkour and moving around.... but big groups of zombies are still a scary sight you have to avoid and going out at night (when stronger enemies come out) is always incredibly tense and rewarding

The only thing I haven't liked is combat with other human enemies (zombies, on the other hand, are fun). I expected them to be intense encounters where they can kill you really fast but so do you (because they are human so a stab to the face should be lethal). Instead they are damage sponges and it all just feels a bit clunky and janky.

Don't know if there are paid DLC (aside from the expansion). But if there are the game is definitely not very "in your face" about it

It's one of my favorite games this generation (I've played it more than 10+ times). Graphics are crazy good to this day. Make sure you grab the Enhanced Edition that comes with all the DLCs (you will be missing out on 4 costume/buggy paint job DLCs but they are cheap and not that much important, just cosmetic).

Nice, thank you. Making it hard not to pull the trigger. Paid dlc is cool, was talking more about really bad exploitative systems but sounds like that's not the case here.

Kind of pumped now.

Top Bottom